Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UGC Question

Passive Peep

Question UGC Question

Hi!
    I´ve never worked with 3D modeling but RCTW motivates me to change that.
    I´ve got one question. Is it possible to create UGC that uses water?
    I´ve seen that Nvizzio created a volcano as example but is it also possible to have a mountain with a little stream running down as example? Or is it not posible and we can only create fixed objects without dynamic?

Which 3d sofware is free and good for beginners? My first google search lead me to blender. Is it good for that?
    Thx!

I think literaly anything is possible. So yeah!

Junior Enthusiast
    Check out this tutorial for blender

This will show you how to make basic 3d models and paint them, its the simplest way to get into making your own UGC. I first started with this tutorial, took it slow and completed it in 2-3 hours. You will be left with a basic model ready to be imported into unity where you then use there plugin or something (they'll tell us the process soon) and then it'll be in the game!

I can't speak for whether we can create water or smoke effects, I am a newbie too and am looking forward to learning more form the pros here.

Hey all, I am going to create a UGC forum now so we can redirect all questions about UGC there. Standby!
    Executive Producer - Atari
    Team RollerCoaster Tycoon World

Passive Peep
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattlab View Post
    Hey all, I am going to create a UGC forum now so we can redirect all questions about UGC there. Standby!
    Finally. And allow bigger images please!

Ok let me see what I can do. Ill go make the adjustments now.

You told that there will be no collision-boxes in UGC and that imported UGC-Rides will not be handled by the peeps atm.

Comparing RCTW to PC will fail. In my opinion PC is a closed system (no UGC) and so, if RTCW will get a success, it should heavily support UGC, to be different from PC.

So my point is:
    Atari should not spend hours to create ingame Rides by themselves, but instead use its power to give US the ability to do rides. So with that said: Why dont you give us information about the rides you created ingame already, and how they react with peeps. Give us an Programming-Interface (per script) which allows a better implementation of UGC-Rides. Show us how your peeps recognize and handle rides. In TPS it works already very good and there you only have to place a cube to tell the pees where they have to sit.

So one Question to that point:
    How will peeps recognise in RCTW that there is something where they cant go/walk through (and to avoid clipping), I know that there is a pathfinding-System in Unity already ...

My further idea is ... you can grab the waiting time of a queque-Line and show them in an ingame-Peep-Monitor (like many parks have already). You could also use an interface to control the Ride by yourself (like in NL2).
    Last edited by mbcdex; 03-27-2016 at 05:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mbcdex View Post
    You told that there will be no collision-boxes in UGC and that imported UGC-Rides will not be handled by the peeps atm.

Comparing RCTW to PC will fail. In my opinion PC is a closed system (no UGC) and so, if RTCW will get a success, it should heavily support UGC, to be different from PC.

So my point is:
    Atari should not spend hours to create ingame Rides by themselves, but instead use its power to give US the ability to do rides. So with that said: Why dont you give us information about the rides you created ingame already, and how they react with peeps. Give us an Programming-Interface (per script) which allows a better implementation of UGC-Rides. Show us how your peeps recognize and handle rides. In TPS it works already very good and there you only have to place a cube to tell the pees where they have to sit.

So one Question to that point:
    How will peeps recognise in RCTW that there is something where they cant go/walk through (and to avoid clipping), I know that there is a pathfinding-System in Unity already ...

My further idea is ... you can grab the waiting time of a queque-Line and show them in an ingame-Peep-Monitor (like many parks have already). You could also use an interface to control the Ride by yourself (like in NL2).
    So this is an interesting point about how our UGC system works. Right now at launch we focused on making a game with a very powerful set of tools and really focusing on the fundamentals - to your point. That means a powerful engine, innovative free coaster builder, no grid, and of course UGC system basics.

We made the decision that UGC doesn't necessarily require full collision boxes so if you put a UGC tree in the middle of a path people will indeed walk through it. We also don't at the moment support UGC that interacts with the simulation - baby steps. That said, we did see our testers take a drink stall for example and basically use no collision UGC to make something totally new and thus basically have it look like the simulation is interacting with it. This gave us the idea to create more generic stations for example to make that easier - so that is coming.

We of course have plans to expand the UGC system but nothing to talk about just yet...

This all sounds promising. I really do think that UGC can and will set RCTW apart from PC. If the UGC someday will expand on being able to create interactive objects and even rides then RCTW will be a big step ahead. After all it is the UGC that still keeps RCT3 alive for all these years. Can't wait to see what will be possible with UGC during early access and especially in the future.
    Keep up the good work guys!

I read this on facebook:
    "Going to see a lot of issues with all these custom models considering most people don't make LOD (level of detail) models like most pro developers do which is going to cause all sorts of performance issues. A lot of the custom rides etc for RCT3 have some of the worst optimization I've seen for game models and textures."

Houston, we have a problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast