Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Mattlab, do you solemnly swear the game won't get abandoned before it's out of EA?

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I genuinely believe that they will make more money by 'launching' the game this way than if they had just released it as complete. I do agree that as result of early access the game also stands more of a chance of being worked on and improved for longer. But overall, they're in very deep on this project so clearly their number one objective has to be to get money back in ASAP. And they will get more money from this type of release for a few reasons, chief among which they won't have to deal with too many nasty gaming press reviews - gaming journalists are less likely to heavily criticize a game whilst it is still officially in early access. And also the players reviewing the game are likely to be kinder too.


    Think of what you're saying another way - if the game was really good enough to launch, why would they do early access?? Answer: Because it's not good enough yet. They know that, as have many people on here for a long time now.

    All we can hope for, is that the response is good and lots of people buy it, and that subsequently they see enough money coming in to keep Nvizzio on the books for long enough to really bring the game up to scratch.
    Absolutly.

  2. #12
    Deuce has been set free Good decision whoever made that.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Yes!!! And that's the big news!!!

    I just posted about this on another forum and made the observation that this month is by far the most exciting month for fans of these type of games for well over a decade. TWO games hitting early access in ONE month!? It's crazzzzyyyy...
    Oh yeah. I never really thought of it that way... This is great!

  4. #14
    Junior Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    809
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I genuinely believe that they will make more money by 'launching' the game this way than if they had just released it as complete. I do agree that as result of early access the game also stands more of a chance of being worked on and improved for longer. But overall, they're in very deep on this project so clearly their number one objective has to be to get money back in ASAP. And they will get more money from this type of release for a few reasons, chief among which they won't have to deal with too many nasty gaming press reviews - gaming journalists are less likely to heavily criticize a game whilst it is still officially in early access. And also the players reviewing the game are likely to be kinder too.


    Think of what you're saying another way - if the game was really good enough to launch, why would they do early access?? Answer: Because it's not good enough yet. They know that, as have many people on here for a long time now.

    All we can hope for, is that the response is good and lots of people buy it, and that subsequently they see enough money coming in to keep Nvizzio on the books for long enough to really bring the game up to scratch.
    I kinda of disagree. I think in the short run early access will actually generate less sales in the short run than a full release as many people are either skeptical"for good reasons" or against the whole early access deal and rather wait until full release.
    If they released the full game and had embargos preventing early reviews it would probably generate alot of sales in the first few days but then once reviews start coming out the sales would quickly start stalling.
    What early access will do is at least generate alot more sales compared to just delaying the game further and if they make at least a half decent game in the end the total profits and sales will most likely be higher and might even allow for some paid expansions in the future.

  5. #15
    Speed Seeker Deuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,005
    Quote Originally Posted by boxman View Post
    I kinda of disagree. I think in the short run early access will actually generate less sales in the short run than a full release as many people are either skeptical"for good reasons" or against the whole early access deal and rather wait until full release.
    If they released the full game and had embargos preventing early reviews it would probably generate alot of sales in the first few days but then once reviews start coming out the sales would quickly start stalling.
    What early access will do is at least generate alot more sales compared to just delaying the game further and if they make at least a half decent game in the end the total profits and sales will most likely be higher and might even allow for some paid expansions in the future.
    dude, you would be right in principle...

    But there can be no embargo's on reviewing a game once it has released. Embargo's are contracts signed by press in return for being allowed to see a game prior to the public seeing it (so by agreeing to the terms of the embargo, they get preferential access).

    My calculation is that if the game was launched in full, most people that would potentially buy it have almost certainly heard of some of the problems in development so would hold off at least 24 hours to await press reviews and play-tests ahead of making a decision to buy or not.

    All that nastiness is (mostly) avoided by going early access. It will also help stem the refund rate of orders too.

    It's somewhat pointless us agreeing/disagreeing though. At the end of the day Atari themselves must calculate that this will be the route that achieves the most sales, otherwise, they wouldn't have done it.

  6. #16
    And when is it coming out? has atari released a date? If atari has not said anything on a new release date it is not happening yet

  7. #17
    Passive Peep
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    174
    There are other things to consider here. A lot of big publishers actually have review policies in place for Early Access games. For example, Eurogamer changed their approach last year to early access games, in that they won't formally review them until the final, retail product is out. Considering that, if they released RCTW lacking features, or full of bugs with a promise to "fix it", the damage could still already be done by reviewer policies. This gives them some wiggle room.

    As far as finishing the game, if Atari doesn't do that, it could really hurt them with Steam/Valve. Developers/publishers have a set of guidelines they must agree to before offering an early access game, starting with their first point that they are not relying upon early access sales to finance the game to completion. Valve actually did this in 2004, about a year and a half after starting the early access program because of so many developers basically abusing it and resulting in a bad reputation for the program.

    Honestly I was starting to have doubts about the future of RCTW, but today's news put my mind at ease. They went a route I thought they should have gone after the beta. Get a closed set of testers, or focus group, that they can really spend time with to gauge reactions to different aspects of the program. Honestly, forums and a more open approach simply doesn't work well with that given how easy it is to quickly air frustrations, and with a faux blanket of anonymity. Now they got that group, have ran things through them, made changes and can move on to letting the rest of us play, offer feedback, likes, anger, etc., then take those and address them through the focus group to better qualify what should be addressed and what should be ignored. It's just the nature of the industry, especially software for the masses. Rule #1 - you can't make everyone happy nor give everyone everything they want.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Yes!!! And that's the big news!!!

    I just posted about this on another forum and made the observation that this month is by far the most exciting month for fans of these type of games for well over a decade. TWO games hitting early access in ONE month!? It's crazzzzyyyy...
    Agreed.

    Actually, I'm glad to see this news. I said it during "beta" 1. Just release it as early access and continue getting community input, instead of that weekend nonsense. Two more games added to this genre is better than it was back when we only had Disney's Coaster. I'll keep on chugging along with the excellent Planet Coaster, while looking hard into the UGC features of RCTW.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Mattlab where are you?
    By Future RCT in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 02-18-2016, 03:48 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-31-2015, 08:31 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-08-2015, 11:42 AM
  4. Mattlab - Let's play a game...
    By Jordumus in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-13-2015, 04:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
RollerCoaster Tycoon is back! RCTW is the first new entry to the RollerCoaster Tycoon franchise in a decade, bringing an innovative new track builder, and much more.
Join us