Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: The Real Market for RCTW

  1. #1

    The Real Market for RCTW

    The power of licensing is on Atari's side and we're not Atari's primary target market. This means for all gaming communities, passionate RCT fans and coaster enthusiasts, there will be just as many general consumers interested in the game because of the franchise reputation and lack of coaster games available. These consumers don't follow blogs, forums or company social media, but will be aware of the game through effective media push close to release. It's akin to when coaster enthusiasts criticize parks (Six Flags) for putting in clones, but the parks don't care because the general public is the majority that's spending money, aren't aware of clones and are easily impressed by the new addition.

    I work in marketing, so I look at everything intuitively. It seems the community was involved in giving basic inputs to the game for appeasement and to keep negative perception at bay. If you think about a company with limited resources, would they use resources to keep a smaller community up to date? Or will they dedicate resources for advertising to general consumers who will be impressed because of the RCT prestige and lack of other coaster games on the market? It would only take a snazzy trailer, media partner and a few ad buys to target the past consumers and next generation of players just because of the name. They aren't aware of any Beta or issues with community, but will see those sponsor ads during the start of amusement park season. Also note, select gamers (influencers) will be traveling to gameplay events and have exclusive info/access as ambassadors to balance reviews and search results. At least this would be a smart strategy. This will all be done before "the other game," so it will be first to market and that's where the money is made. Not to say we're not important but we're a smaller segment in comparison to the total market potential in the eyes of Atari.

  2. #2
    Park Patron RCTW1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,052
    Nor do many people know or care that much about supports, B&M, and other amusement park lingo spoken here.
    Heck, I'm not even all big into it either.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by RCTW1 View Post
    Nor do many people know or care that much about supports, B&M, and other amusement park lingo spoken here.
    Heck, I'm not even all big into it either.
    Well that's a stretch, because it's obvious that many people here do care. The charm of RCT past, came through because it was a little cartoony, but it wasn't far removed from the realism of parks that many players have visited. This is what many of these general buyers are expecting and they wouldn't know if anything changed, since they aren't involved on fan channels such as this one. It's a straight sell to that group, hence why the RCT license is so valuable.

  4. #4
    Ambitiousbeau, You're so right in what you're saying. It's good to hear some balance over here. You make a lot of sense.

    I definitely come into the coaster geek category who can get excited about the real nuts and bolts of a ride but I'm well aware that I'm the minority in the grand scale of people who'd buy the game. But it's the hard-core rollercoaster fans who'll keep the game alive for the years after release. This is why RCT3 is still being played, and sold today.

    The thing is though, as you know, is that in the last 10 years, the game industry has changed and the marketing of games is a different animal. Social media, online reviews and reputation can make or break a title. It's when the core audience embraces this type of game, especially when it relies on user generated content, that it really flies.

    So whether we're the minority or not, anyone with a dot of marketing ability would recognize any marketing opportunity should be exploited. So I really can't understand why they make no genuine effort to do any. The Rollercoaster Tycoon website is the most obvious place to start. Just a little effort would go a long way.

  5. #5
    Junior Enthusiast Airboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    516
    You do make a lot of sense. The majority of the RCTW players are part of the GP. They don't care about the supports (neither do I) They will not care about realism. They will just want to make a coaster or building or something.

  6. #6
    To be fair I'm a mechanical engineer and therefore should be having a great time when it comes to the finer details....

    But however realistic RCTW ends up being I'm excited to play this game anyway! I just hope the final release is at lease a sensible representation of real life, even if its not engineered to within an inch of its life....

    I hope the america's here like my use of inches

    PS the International System of units rules tehe

  7. #7
    Passive Peep
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    288
    Bad or mediocre games rarely ever sell well nowadays, especially for more than a couple of weeks. The average gamer or casual fan can find information, opinions and reviews of games in an instance now and that could be damaging. Opinion on Facebook seems to be pretty mixed and on Steam the game is already down as "mixed" after the beta demo. Seeing reactions like this will effect opinions, as would largely negative reviews. And I'm not sure RCT is a big enough name to survive poor reception, especially with it being 10 years since the last one.

  8. #8
    Passive Peep
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    185
    What I disagree with is that Atari are using the Roller Coaster Tycoon brand to market this latest game RCTW, Fooling people into thinking that this game will be the follow up to the successful RCT3. Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 was developed by Frontier, who have nothing to do with Atari anymore, as they are developing their own new game which is actually going to be the true successor to RCT3. Yes people on these forums are well aware of this, but the majority of people who will buy this game, don't get involved with forums, so are just thinking that they are getting a new version of RCT3. Atari are just relying on the Tycoon name, to sell this game, despite how low budget it is, compared to the other game being made by Frontier.
    Once both games are made available, it won't be long before many people will realise that RCTW isn't the game they thought it was going to be. That is when the s***t will hit the fan and there will be millions of disappointed people, who will convert to the game being made by Frontier.
    Atari already know that their game is struggling, but are not really bothered, as long as they can sell it to those millions, who are just relying on the Tycoon Franchise.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Airboss View Post
    You do make a lot of sense. The majority of the RCTW players are part of the GP. They don't care about the supports (neither do I) They will not care about realism. They will just want to make a coaster or building or something.
    Well that's the part that is remained to be seen, is the reaction to the game itself after buying it off hype.

    Quote Originally Posted by DMB1985 View Post
    Bad or mediocre games rarely ever sell well nowadays, especially for more than a couple of weeks. The average gamer or casual fan can find information, opinions and reviews of games in an instance now and that could be damaging. Opinion on Facebook seems to be pretty mixed and on Steam the game is already down as "mixed" after the beta demo. Seeing reactions like this will effect opinions, as would largely negative reviews. And I'm not sure RCT is a big enough name to survive poor reception, especially with it being 10 years since the last one.
    Yes Facebook is definitely mixed reviewed, but that boost in perception will probably come in from ambassadors. RCT's name may have diluted but because it's going to be first to market and have a dominating presence, it will probably see traction. That's until PC comes in. I agree with you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmie View Post
    Ambitiousbeau, You're so right in what you're saying. It's good to hear some balance over here. You make a lot of sense.

    I definitely come into the coaster geek category who can get excited about the real nuts and bolts of a ride but I'm well aware that I'm the minority in the grand scale of people who'd buy the game. But it's the hard-core rollercoaster fans who'll keep the game alive for the years after release. This is why RCT3 is still being played, and sold today.

    The thing is though, as you know, is that in the last 10 years, the game industry has changed and the marketing of games is a different animal. Social media, online reviews and reputation can make or break a title. It's when the core audience embraces this type of game, especially when it relies on user generated content, that it really flies.

    So whether we're the minority or not, anyone with a dot of marketing ability would recognize any marketing opportunity should be exploited. So I really can't understand why they make no genuine effort to do any. The Rollercoaster Tycoon website is the most obvious place to start. Just a little effort would go a long way.
    You're definitely right with all that you said in terms of the market of gaming and how important a social media presence is. I, myself am trying to figure out the lack of community engagement and this is the only conclusion I came to.

    Quote Originally Posted by geoffersh View Post
    What I disagree with is that Atari are using the Roller Coaster Tycoon brand to market this latest game RCTW, Fooling people into thinking that this game will be the follow up to the successful RCT3. Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 was developed by Frontier, who have nothing to do with Atari anymore, as they are developing their own new game which is actually going to be the true successor to RCT3. Yes people on these forums are well aware of this, but the majority of people who will buy this game, don't get involved with forums, so are just thinking that they are getting a new version of RCT3. Atari are just relying on the Tycoon name, to sell this game, despite how low budget it is, compared to the other game being made by Frontier.
    Once both games are made available, it won't be long before many people will realise that RCTW isn't the game they thought it was going to be. That is when the s***t will hit the fan and there will be millions of disappointed people, who will convert to the game being made by Frontier.
    Atari already know that their game is struggling, but are not really bothered, as long as they can sell it to those millions, who are just relying on the Tycoon Franchise.
    I'm afraid you're correct too.

  10. #10
    Speed Seeker Deuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,005
    I agree with the points in this thread. But also, whilst I do believe Atari are gambling on selling to the unspoken masses that just want to play a fun game, the game itself does still have to have good gameplay mechanics to appeal to people. I'm in two minds about that. It could be that the poor quality and short cuts taken in what we have seen visually is also present in the gameplay mechanics, so it won't appeal to anyone much as a 'fun game'. But also it could be that the stuff we have seen has suffered because they have focused on the stuff we haven't seen.

    I have to say I assume the former. I think if they had an amazing game behind the eye candy, they would be promoting and showing it. But with such bad marketing its possible they do have something great and haven't shown it yet.

    I feel we're now seriously close to finally finding out that last. Atari want this game out - everything points to that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. stock market and investors
    By SEA DOG in forum Ideas and Feature Requests - TEMP ARCHIVE
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-22-2016, 05:09 PM
  2. So, where is the real game ?
    By Maydee in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-21-2015, 04:05 AM
  3. UGC Market?
    By [email protected] in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-11-2015, 10:31 PM
  4. Steam Workshop/Market
    By redyar in forum Ideas and Feature Requests - TEMP ARCHIVE
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-07-2015, 07:50 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
RollerCoaster Tycoon is back! RCTW is the first new entry to the RollerCoaster Tycoon franchise in a decade, bringing an innovative new track builder, and much more.
Join us