Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: RCTW - What's Different?

  1. #11
    Passive Peep
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by Lettuce View Post
    In my opinion, RCTW will have the better coastrr builder once people get used to it. The combination of piece by piece and spline is perfect. It allows the people who want to make really realistic coasters to use the spline tool and also gives the piece by piece tool for lift hills, break runs, and for people who like that building mode better. It also allows people to make a coaster in 10-15 minutes in RCTW that would take probably double the time in PC. A lot of the reviews of the people who played with the beta for a long period of time said that they hated the coaster builder until they got used to it and found it much quicker than piece by piece. UGC is also a big plus for RCTW. It allows more customization of scenery than PC since Frontier has been dodging questions about custom content. Also, the peeps for RCTW have not been shown yet in the game, and the picture of them from the christmas peep picture looks pretty good. We won't truly know which is the better game until they are both released.
    Lettuce, I don't want to have to say it, but you are living in Cloud Cuckoo Land. If you really think that the coaster spline tool is better than the one in PC, then you can keep it. PC is outstripping RCTW by far.with a much better coaster tool than what RCTW has got. One of the Dev Team from Frontier has been answering questions live on the forums for the last hour and has told us of some pretty interesting feature taht we will be getting in PC. I don't need to go into detail here, because you can read them for yourself. I really can't see RCTW being anywhere near as good as PC, and I really do think it is going to struggle to keep up with anything that PC will have. UGC won't be its saviour, because Deuce explained why in his recent early post, so why don't you just admit it, that RCTW is not worth shouting about.

  2. #12
    Junior Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    809
    Quote Originally Posted by dwwilkin View Post
    I dont think there has been any official statements about what would be in the 2nd Beta. It could just be picking up Peeps and reading their thoughts. or it could be the entire game unlocked. But why have that? If then a couple weeks later everyone gets the entire game unlocked? What would it serve to have those who pre-ordered get the entire game for 60 to 72 hours x days ahead of the rest of the world. It would go back to being locked right after. Yet there are obviously cracks already to play any Beta that comes out.

    That sets up the argument that there will be vast areas that should be locked. Perhaps the entire Coaster dynamics since it previously has been tested. That and Terrain, and scenery placement. Maybe we just get flat rides to place, paths to get to the rides, and peeps...
    Um beta testing?? I thought the entire point of having a beta was so that people could beta test it so that any potential issues and bugs would be uncovered.

  3. #13
    Speed Seeker Deuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,005
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffersh View Post
    Lettuce, I don't want to have to say it, but you are living in Cloud Cuckoo Land. If you really think that the coaster spline tool is better than the one in PC, then you can keep it. PC is outstripping RCTW by far.with a much better coaster tool than what RCTW has got. One of the Dev Team from Frontier has been answering questions live on the forums for the last hour and has told us of some pretty interesting feature taht we will be getting in PC. I don't need to go into detail here, because you can read them for yourself. I really can't see RCTW being anywhere near as good as PC, and I really do think it is going to struggle to keep up with anything that PC will have. UGC won't be its saviour, because Deuce explained why in his recent early post, so why don't you just admit it, that RCTW is not worth shouting about.
    Quite right, that Q&A was very interesting about coasters. I too won't spoil the surprises, but we now know that PC is taking coasters to places RCTW never even tried to go.

    Literally, think of what you would love to see in RCTW, then add a load more stuff you would never have bothered to ask for because 'you can't have everything', and then you're getting close.

    As for the quality of the RCTW editor. It's flawed. I'm not talking about bugs or usability issues. Yes they can fix it up and modify it a bit to make it easier to use. And no, I'm not 'anti-splines', I love splines. But the way they have got it working at a code level, it is fundamentally limited in what it can do, and how realistic it can ever be. The only possibility for fixing these flaws is to simply start from scratch and look more closely at real coaster track dynamics ahead of starting to code. As if they have the time or inclination to do that.

    I just realized I'm arguing with a lettuce lol.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffersh View Post
    Lettuce, I don't want to have to say it, but you are living in Cloud Cuckoo Land. If you really think that the coaster spline tool is better than the one in PC, then you can keep it. PC is outstripping RCTW by far.with a much better coaster tool than what RCTW has got. One of the Dev Team from Frontier has been answering questions live on the forums for the last hour and has told us of some pretty interesting feature taht we will be getting in PC. I don't need to go into detail here, because you can read them for yourself. I really can't see RCTW being anywhere near as good as PC, and I really do think it is going to struggle to keep up with anything that PC will have. UGC won't be its saviour, because Deuce explained why in his recent early post, so why don't you just admit it, that RCTW is not worth shouting about.
    The spline system will really be a plus for some people. I really like the way a spline system has freedom of what ever length/ shape and even though PC also has a really good coaster editor, I see RCTW's editor appealing to more people with the piece by piece and spline option. It really depends on who is playing the game and a lot of people said in reviews that they liked the editor after getting used to the feel. I think that RCTW still has a chance to bounce back from the first beta. From the screenshots alone, we can tell that the game is heavily improved. I think that PC definitely has the upper hand on RCTW right now, they have much better marketing for their game and it is definitely helping them. I'm going to reserve my judgement of which is better until I get to play both games. We won't know for sure which is better until the releases of the games.

  5. #15
    Speed Seeker Deuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lettuce View Post
    The spline system will really be a plus for some people. I really like the way a spline system has freedom of what ever length/ shape and even though PC also has a really good coaster editor, I see RCTW's editor appealing to more people with the piece by piece and spline option. It really depends on who is playing the game and a lot of people said in reviews that they liked the editor after getting used to the feel. I think that RCTW still has a chance to bounce back from the first beta. From the screenshots alone, we can tell that the game is heavily improved. I think that PC definitely has the upper hand on RCTW right now, they have much better marketing for their game and it is definitely helping them. I'm going to reserve my judgement of which is better until I get to play both games. We won't know for sure which is better until the releases of the games.
    You do realise that PC coasters are spline too right? It's just instead of the node being visible and dragged around directly by a mouse, it's controlled by UI and on screen controls. It's the same basic mechanic, just way better implemented. It has much finer adjustment and also, the tracks appear to bank closer around the heartline point (as they should) whereas in RCTW they just twist around their own axis (which in itself make a realistic coaster more or less impossible).

    The people that like it, are mostly just liking the flexibility of splines compared to the old rigid RCT pieces. Which is quite right. But even TPS had quicker to use and much more controllable system than RCTW has.

    And as for the sreenshots showing heavy improvement? Cosmetic improvement and tweaks maybe. The peeps look as they did in the beta, just slightly less glitchy, but still no video of them yet... the colours look tweaked a bit, and they appear to have more or less disabled the scenery collision rules. But these are not huge steps forward, it's just a sign the game is still being built. And a lot of stuff is wrong in the latest screens. IE scaling..

    I dunno. Maybe you're just trying to have a balanced and fair view of both games. But using words like 'heavily improved' do tend to invite criticism as they can't really be justified.

  6. #16
    Passive Peep
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    185
    I don't need to wait for the release of both games, because as Deuce said the coaster editor in RCTW is flawed and PC has got piece by piece and spline based editor, that is far more precise and controllable, than the one in RCTW. I just don't see where you are coming from. I know you on the other forum because I have seen you on there and you even asked some questions on there as well. So from what you have seen and know about PC, how can you say that RCTW may turn out better, when they haven't even got a decent landscaping tool.or any self building pieces. RCTW will never come up to the stardards set by Frontier and you know it.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    You do realise that PC coasters are spline too right? It's just instead of the node being visible and dragged around directly by a mouse, it's controlled by UI and on screen controls. It's the same basic mechanic, just way better implemented. It has much finer adjustment and also, the tracks appear to bank closer around the heartline point (as they should) whereas in RCTW they just twist around their own axis (which in itself make a realistic coaster more or less impossible).

    The people that like it, are mostly just liking the flexibility of splines compared to the old rigid RCT pieces. Which is quite right. But even TPS had quicker to use and much more controllable system than RCTW has.

    And as for the sreenshots showing heavy improvement? Cosmetic improvement and tweaks maybe. The peeps look as they did in the beta, just slightly less glitchy, but still no video of them yet... the colours look tweaked a bit, and they appear to have more or less disabled the scenery collision rules. But these are not huge steps forward, it's just a sign the game is still being built. And a lot of stuff is wrong in the latest screens. IE scaling..

    I dunno. Maybe you're just trying to have a balanced and fair view of both games. But using words like 'heavily improved' do tend to invite criticism as they can't really be justified.
    You're right, "Heavily improved" aren't the words to describe the new media for the game. I meant to rephrase that but i forgot
    I just want to see which is better before making a decision. The improvements they have made may make the game a lot better, or be nothing more than color changes and scaling. And I understand that the coaster builder was very clunky in the beta, I'm just waiting until I see both of the complete games. I have been following both and I want them both to excel so we can have two really good theme park sims. I support both and am looking forward to playing both.
    Last edited by Lettuce; 02-08-2016 at 09:16 PM.

  8. #18
    Speed Seeker Deuce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lettuce View Post
    You're right, "Heavily improved" aren't the words to describe the new media for the game. I meant to rephrase that but i forgot
    I just want to see which is better before making a decision. The improvements they have made may make the game a lot better, or be nothing more than color changes and scaling. And I understand that the coaster builder was very clunky in the beta, I'm just waiting until I see both of the complete games. I have been following both and I want them both to excel so we can have two really good theme park sims.
    Ok. I have to respect that - you're simply saying what you want.

    Personally, right back at the start I wanted the same. I would still like both games to excel, but looking (with an entirely open and fair mind) at both games objectively, I have to conclude that PC is already better and more capable by design than RCTW. The difference is not small, it's huge. The difference is that Atari started by trying to make a very basic and frankly cheap game, and then have had to try and drag it upto the level people may actually pay for. But the cracks are showing. I'm as confident as you are that many things will be fixed or improved in the second beta. But the core problems of a lack of resources for RCTW means that I just don't see it will ever be a particularly good game, I can't see it having as much depth or flexibility as we expected in the early days, and I seriously can't see it ever being on a par with PC.

    However, I guess we don't need to debate this too much more. In a matter of weeks there will be lots of us playing PC, so we will know what that is really like. And it can't be that much longer until we also get to see more of RCTW one way or another (they must be planning a live stream or beta soon if they're ever actually going to finish the damn game!!)

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    However, I guess we don't need to debate this too much more. In a matter of weeks there will be lots of us playing PC, so we will know what that is really like. And it can't be that much longer until we also get to see more of RCTW one way or another (they must be planning a live stream or beta soon if they're ever actually going to finish the damn game!!)
    I agree 100%. I'm starting to think there was an infinity symbol on the load screen on the game for a reason

  10. #20
    Passive Peep Wobbly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    278
    Im confused, hasn't PC already confirmed that UGC will be there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. RCTW - Blog #26 - Happy Thanksgiving from Team RCTW!
    By Mattlab in forum Announcements
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 12-08-2015, 02:53 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
RollerCoaster Tycoon is back! RCTW is the first new entry to the RollerCoaster Tycoon franchise in a decade, bringing an innovative new track builder, and much more.
Join us