Thread: Virtual reality rollercoaster

Virtual reality rollercoaster

Alton Towers is transforming Air, their flying coaster. It's tunnel has received complaints for ages and now they're transforming the ride into something really special, by adding virtual reality technology to the coaster.

https://www.galacticatours.com/

Welcome to the future! In 3016 Forbidden Valley was chosen as the new home for a new space port operated by Galactica - The Universe’s first spaceflight voyager.

Partnering with Air Space Technologies to develop a multi-dimensional portal using the Resort’s iconic flying coaster as the propulsion device, Galactica will send passengers soaring through interstellar space for the first time in history, providing unrivalled access to the limitless wonders of space as never experienced before.
    You'll ride the coaster whilst wearing VR technology! I've never seen anything like this before, I'm really excited about it.
    Last edited by JMR; 01-28-2016 at 10:06 AM.

Hummm this is an odd idea, I am a massive fan of the current VR revolution but each time I have tried VR it has required a small amount of adjusting to get the view just right (everyones head morphology is different) and that's just to keep it on your head whilst fairly stationary not flying around a coaster track with inversions
    Also the HMD needs to be sterilised after every use. Maybe they could use a product such as Never Wet which is impossible to leave infectious material on its surface.
    I wonder how they will be able to get around these issues as they will really slow down the flow of users if they bother to do them and if they don't bother then the effect might be disappointing for some users.
    Good to see Alton Towers making ground breaking advancements again, shame its not a whole new ride but at least its a pretty cool repurpose cant wait to have a go on it.
    Really hope that its effect is not lost by the speed of travel, its hard to see what your flying past on Air without a HMD on and I'm not sure that flying at near 50mph around 840meter of track will give you time to actually see what they have created.
    Good to see the VR experience is optional as many users with vision problems just wont get the same experience from VR
    Last edited by shirty; 01-28-2016 at 10:01 PM.

JMR and Shirty

They Are Also doing this in Orlando,Fl. at Fun Spot America

Thanks Akydo I suspect these rides will begin popping up worldwide as the VR revolution grows and the tech gets cheaper/better.
    If I ever get over to Florida again I shall aim to try this out too.
    I must say I was expecting to see far more straps to keep it from flying off mid ride, they probably don't realise it but they look like idiots though lol

Quote Originally Posted by shirty View Post
    they look like idiots though lol
    Sadly I don't think the tech will ever progress to the point where it doesn't look completely stupid. But, It does look like fun! I just worry about the ick factor of those things not being cleaned. I wouldn't want "pink eye" during my trip. lol