Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: the new release date?

Newcomer

Question the new release date?

Hi everyone,
    Today i saw something quite i never suspected to see, on the website of Game Mania (a shop for all kind of games).
    When i saw all the pre-order games, under RCTW stood release date 16/03/2016.
    Would this be the true release date?
    It could be, but i'm not sure.
    Maybe they know something more then we do.
    Anyway, if this is the release date for RCTW, then it is only 69 days before launch. I'm already excited.
    What are your thoughts?

Could be a plausible date yes

Park Patron
    It would be a good date, the only problem is that this month is the Beta of Planet Coaster, and can counter with sales of the game, I think.

How would releasing the same month as the other game's beta hurt sales?

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    I agree. It shouldn't hurt sales, that much anyway.

I don't know, there quite a few people who say they are waiting before buying RCTw to see how PC turns out, even in it's beta state.

Not everyone can or will buy both games. If RCTw comes out to anything but overwhelmingly positive reviews and the word from PC beta-testers is positive for that game and it turns out to be more complete...then there's where their money will go. Atari shouldn't make the mistake of assuming that just because they release a game that everyone is going to buy it, there's going to be a lot of people basing their purchase on results...not promises.

When RCTW releases a lot of people will read reviews and watch youtube videos to see if it's any good.

The exact same thing will happen when PC opens alpha access.

If PC alpha is overall better than RCTW release version, I suspect that would hurt sales.

It is very clear that the vast majority of people that might buy RCTW are holding off until it's released (the pre-order sales are appalling really), so those potential customers are waiting to see if it's worth buying or not.

Why do you think it wouldn't have an effect?

EDIT: It's also worth remembering PC is $20 cheaper (without early access), so even if the two games were judged to be of similar quality and content, anyone with shallow pockets would still likely be influenced in their choice.
    Last edited by Deuce; 01-07-2016 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    When RCTW releases a lot of people will read reviews and watch youtube videos to see if it's any good.

The exact same thing will happen when PC opens alpha access.

If PC alpha is overall better than RCTW release version, I suspect that would hurt sales.
    You're confusing correlation with causation.
    Just because these two events (might) happen at the same time doesn't necessarily mean that one is the direct cause of the other.

I think that if people want to buy RCTW, then they're going to buy it regardless of when it's released.

Quote Originally Posted by Wabigbear View Post
    I don't know, there quite a few people who say they are waiting before buying RCTw to see how PC turns out, even in it's beta state.

Not everyone can or will buy both games. If RCTw comes out to anything but overwhelmingly positive reviews and the word from PC beta-testers is positive for that game and it turns out to be more complete...then there's where their money will go. Atari shouldn't make the mistake of assuming that just because they release a game that everyone is going to buy it, there's going to be a lot of people basing their purchase on results...not promises.
    This has been my view for a long time. Matty's 'it's all awesome and exciting' gets a good reaction from some people on these forums, but in reality thats worth very little - the press and youtube videos will reveal the truth about both games at the first possible opportunity. Literally overnight, you will be able to read/watch everything you need to about both games as soon as both offer playable access.

And if a big name game comes out and is below expectation, the people reviewing it will rip it to pieces, because that's how you gain a following. No one wants to write a mediocre review, that's boring to write and boring to read. In the eyes of the gaming press, this game follows a 10m selling RCT3, and has been awaited for over a decade. AND it's already had enough hiccups and bad press to be on the radar of the gaming press. So they will either need to celebrate it as a success in the face of adversity (if it's very good), or tear it up in a humorous and mocking fashion.

Atari made really backed themselves up against a wall by saying it will be the best RCT yet and AAA, against those sorts of statements the game needs to be exceptionally good to not be judged harshly.

And it also will so obviously get compared directly to PC. So even if RCTW is way better than what we have seen to date, it needs to be way better than PC as it's almost double the price.

You're confusing correlation with causation.
    Just because these two events (might) happen at the same time doesn't necessarily mean that one is the direct cause of the other.

I think that if people want to buy RCTW, then they're going to buy it regardless of when it's released.
    What on earth are you on about?

That would only be relevant if we were discussing the release of PC Alpha being the cause of the release of RCTW. But we're not - the question/concern raised was that IF these two events to coincide then it is extremely likely that as they appeal to the same group of potential customers, they are a threat to one another.

I am aware that SEPARATE to this discussion it is entirely probable that Atari will want to release ahead of PC Alpha. So to a degree we could say causation should be taken into account if we were analytically reviewing sales of both games post that event. But your comments were made in reference to conjecture of the effect on sales - and that is what I asked you your view on.

So, why do you believe that people seeing and playing PC would have no effect on RCTW?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast