Page 69 of 182 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179119169 ... LastLast

Thread: RollerCoasterTycoonWorld VS PlanetCoaster

I dont think that you have as much freedom as with rctw's coaster builder (try to build a loop / inversion. It doesn't work!
    Last edited by Kombiice; 03-22-2016 at 07:24 PM.

Junior Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kombiice View Post
    I dont think that you have as much freedom as with rctw's coaster builder (try to build a loop / inversion. It doest work!
    They have preset inversions. Granted some don't look that good (the loops look fine though) but they did say the coaster builder is unfinished... it's not like the RCTW beta where it is was the main feature.

You can easily rotate, lift, and drag it at any angle and length you want. It takes a lot more effort to do the same thing in RCTW. Making a compact coaster is way easier in PC. The coaster builder won't be officially added until the next phase of the alpha anyway. It's already very promising and less frustrating than RCTW; in fact, I didn't get frustrated at all while using it!

This is interesting...

Looking at both games in the ways they can be directly compared, I can see it can be argued they're similar. But for me, it's the subtle differences that really make 'the difference'.

And I feel RCTW is like a budget game, too many corners cut. They take the simple, cheapest to develop route for everything. I can fully appreciate that visually some things are similar, but hands on, PC feels like quality to the core, but with RCTW is always feels that ugliness and cheapness lies just below the surface.

All I can say, is that if you describe both games in words, they're similar. But really, they're not on the same level at all in my opinion.

I have to mention the peeps specifically of course! PC peeps, I don't care that much for the pixar art style but I can see that they did that so the peeps could show emotions without some dumbass 1996 thought bubble floating around over their heads. Until we have computers that can render photo-real peeps, 10,000 at a time, I think that's the better choice personally. They had to go cartoon with the peeps as we simply don't have the computing power yet to have realistic peeps that can display emotion well enough to guide the player. But even taking PC peeps out of the equation, the RCTW peeps are god awful. They make RCTW itself look bad just compared to the rest of the RCTW visuals, let alone compared to PC. Like I said above, RCTW has been cheap on everything - but nothing shows it more than the peeps - they're ruining pretty much every PR attempt this game has made! It's the one thing no one ever even disagrees with me about on these forums - it's that obvious to everyone.

Junior Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kombiice View Post
    I dont think that you have as much freedom as with rctw's coaster builder (try to build a loop / inversion. It doest work!
    I have to agree with that. The RCTW editor was a buggy mess but it did give you more freedom than what we currently have in PC so far at least.
    It is too bad we have gotten no new info at all about RCTW editor since december.

Quote Originally Posted by boxman View Post
    I have to agree with that. The RCTW editor was a buggy mess but it did give you more freedom than what we currently have in PC so far at least.
    I agree too.

I imagine it was a difficult decision to include the coaster editor in this alpha. They clearly know it's not ready really, but at the same time I guess they didn't want to be criticized for not offering it.

I see that 50% of the coaster stuff is amazing, perfect in fact. The detail, the usability, the cinematic cam (this will be amazing in the future!!), all great. But the POV cam and the track manipulations and inversions are clearly not really ready.

I'm going to be fair and hold off saying too much until they consider the coasters ready for full inclusion in early access - but I have already started a thread about it over there in an effort to raise the issues as soon as possible.

Passive Peep
    I guess it is very subjective how you feel about which but that is a point that I like. Like with Android and iPhone.

I think when RCTW gets GOOD prebuild invversions and a tutorial for the coaster builder, it will be fine. Remember that they have the piece by piece and the free building mode. Can´t tell how a 6 yr old child feels but the system feels okay for me.

@Kambor: I didn´t forget the details. It is that I meant with the passion and love for the game. You´ll see that in the details.

I wish the RCTW developers had more time for the game. The team changes harmed the game a lot :-( Still a lot of potential and I think they will use at least some of it. I´m very excited to play RCTW soon and PC some time in the future.

Passive Peep
    Quote Originally Posted by S1m0nde View Post
    I´m very excited to play RCTW soon and PC some time in the future.
    Me too. I don't want to choose!

Wait a second, I thought PC wasn't going to be left open for CS...
    I thought that was a contributing difference between the games..

Having now played both I still think there will be room in the market for RCTW. I've loved the Planet Coaster alpha so far, and it beats RCTW in many many ways if I'm honest.However, there are a few things that felt better to me in RCTW.

I preferred the free form coaster editor of RCTW for the freedom it affords you. I know the PC coaster editor is far from final, but I feel even with the improvements it's going to get, I still prefer the absolute freedom of the RCTW editor. That's not to say the planet coaster is bad before anyone jumps down my throat, just a different style. Frontier could of course could pull something amazing out of the bag that surprises me so I'll hold off final judgement until the final product is released.

The other thing RCTW did better (in my opinion remember) was paths. Trying both side by side the path creation system feels far less awkward to use and seems to make more aesthetically pleasing paths. As before this is all subject to change so it's all a bit up in the air at this point.

I don't think RCTW will state anyone appetite if you're the sort of person who is looking for absolute realism. Planet Coaster has them beat there even with the cartoony peeps (which I love!). The coasters in RCTW are modeled to look vaguely realistic, where PC has gone full out with making the rides look as detailed and believable as possible. Not being a coaster nerd I can let them off on that front, however I do really appreciate all of the effort that went into PC though with the details, and it shows, even to someone like me who wouldn't be able to tell a Vekoma from a B&M

I do think Atari/nvizzio need to make sure they get the management right in this game. it's the part I'm most worried about and I think for me will make or break the game. Anyway, exciting times, Planet Coaster is fantastic and the RCTW release is looming (or so we're led to believe!)

Passive Peep
    I've played neither the RCTW beta nor the Planet Coaster alpha but I like to make a comparision too (watched streams and videos of both)

1. The coaster builder:

It's hard to make out a winner here. I like the spline idea of RCTW more than the PbP one of Planet Coaster but for what I've seen in videos so far, the PC one works a lot better and seems to be way easier to start with (but that's mainly because RCTW beta was buggy as hell). Well designed both will be great, so - let's say - one point for each of them.

RCTW 1: PC 1

2. the graphics:

This is a subjective point. Both have beautiful graphics... but PC has much more charme in it. That's the main problem I have with RCTW...it has no real style. It's so unbelievably bland and stiff. Of course, it may look more "realistic" because it's rougher but I prefer the soft "cartoonish" style of PC.

RCTW 1: PC 2

3. The rides:

I don't like the rides I've seen in RCTW. They look pretty boring to me. PC's rides have so much originality and creativity in them...and they look realistic - like rides in a real theme-park (some of them can even compare with Universal or Disney). Point for PC.

RCTW 1: PC 3

4. The Peeps:

-------

RCTW 1: PC 4

5. Details:

You see that the Frontier-guys are amusement-park enthusiasts. They know what they do and they love what they do. PC has so many unbelievable great and charming details - it's a real child of love... while RCTW seems like "Yeah, we must do it, we need the money".

RCTW 1: PC 5
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I will definately buy PC at release... with RCTW I'm pretty unsure. PC's style is much more appealing to me. Besides that, it will have much more features than RCTW and - I know, that's not the most valid point, but - Frontier is a much more sympathetic company than atari.