Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Virtual Reality & Oculus Rift Support

It will be a long time before we see OR go under $100. The technology that makes it possible isn't cheap and is catered more toward a specific group of consumers who are by and large willing to put down extra money, whether it's on a mere 3D movie ticket or a 3D TV. I don't see 3D viewing being any more than a niche until the need for special glasses or headsets is removed altogether.

Passive Peep
    99% of the people who will be playing this game won't have access to or purchase an OR so this isn't worth putting into the game until it's common in each household.

I don't want them spending the time and effort on something like OR support to cater to less than 1% of their consumers when they could be spending that money and time making the game itself better.

I'd even go as far as saying 99.9% of their customer base won't have an OR.

I think I've come home to my true Peeps...

When I pointed all this out in the TPS thread at Steam I was ridiculed and told that I was a nay-sayer. It is good to have this as a sanity check to show I really do know, (after being a gamer since I got my first copy of Avalon Hill's Battle of the Bulge in the 60s (hex based combat, what's that?) what I am talking about.

Passive Peep
    Quote Originally Posted by dwwilkin View Post
    I think I've come home to my true Peeps...

When I pointed all this out in the TPS thread at Steam I was ridiculed and told that I was a nay-sayer. It is good to have this as a sanity check to show I really do know, (after being a gamer since I got my first copy of Avalon Hill's Battle of the Bulge in the 60s (hex based combat, what's that?) what I am talking about.

are you referring to the need to have OR support or not to have it?

Indiglow- The understanding that OR support is an unrealistic need for this Franchise until tens of thousands of RCTers have OR. That it is a waste of programming resources until that moment. And that it is something that most won't buy until the price point is better.

Passive Peep
    Indiglow- The understanding that OR support is an unrealistic need for this Franchise until tens of thousands of RCTers have OR. That it is a waste of programming resources until that moment. And that it is something that most won't buy until the price point is better.
    100% agreed.

Well said. I think there are so many ideas around that are awesome, but not worth resources.

It would be purly awesome and I would probably by an oculas rift just for RCTW itself!

Hey, there's an idea, RCTW could set up some sort of sponsorship with oculas rift! Involving a sum of money if RCTW promote OR. Hehe

I actually don't have a virtual reality device, nor have I ever tried any. I, like many others have taken the advice of early adopters, and am waiting until the consumer Rift that will most likely be out in the next 2 years, and cost around $200, as Oculus have said. Pricing at this point is just about availability, and thanks to the early adopters who have expressed interest, there is already a market. Whether it will be successful or not in the long run... well, who can tell.

I put this up as a suggestion guys, so I'm not saying it should be a priority for development, what I am saying is that having extremely rudimentary VR support could make it a killer app, and could push the industry forward.
    (Okay, I might be exaggerating that a bit, but I think it's easy to forget what good support from software can do)

Regardless of what the developers do, there is bound to be a mod to add VR functionality. All it really requires is 3D, image warping, and head tracking to be added into the software, something that has been done easily by modders to games like Skyrim, GTA IV, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Neerak View Post
    I actually don't have a virtual reality device, nor have I ever tried any. I, like many others have taken the advice of early adopters, and am waiting until the consumer Rift that will most likely be out in the next 2 years, and cost around $200, as Oculus have said. Pricing at this point is just about availability, and thanks to the early adopters who have expressed interest, there is already a market. Whether it will be successful or not in the long run... well, who can tell.

I put this up as a suggestion guys, so I'm not saying it should be a priority for development, what I am saying is that having extremely rudimentary VR support could make it a killer app, and could push the industry forward.
    (Okay, I might be exaggerating that a bit, but I think it's easy to forget what good support from software can do)

Regardless of what the developers do, there is bound to be a mod to add VR functionality. All it really requires is 3D, image warping, and head tracking to be added into the software, something that has been done easily by modders to games like Skyrim, GTA IV, etc.
    So your first post here in this Thread is not your wife trying this out? I am still of the opinion that let's get the game out first before even playing around with this. Now I think you have added to the argument not to even tinker with this until Facebook releases their OR and tells us the price point. And as you say, that could be 2 years away

Aha, no, that was just a video I found, sorry if it misled you XD

Oculus still has control over their product, Facebook owns Oculus, and are funding it, but Oculus have made it very clear that they are still very independant. I do agree that the focus at the moment should be making the game, not adding secondary functionality to the select few that have a Rift. That said, I really think you are underestimating it's current popularity, even as a development kit. These kits really exist for one reason, to give devs the opportunity to make stuff for it, so that when the consumer device releases there will actually be worthwhile content, not just tech demos. That's why I think it should be embraced earlier rather than later. Again, I'll reiterate that yes, time and resources should be spent on making RCTW the best game possible, and I'm not about to start telling them how to make their game succesful, just suggesting that it should be something the developers should think about. If not, mods will suffice, I'm sure, and I'll be happy using those when I have my Rift.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast