Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will my computer be good enough?

Will my computer be good enough?

Sorry if this has already been discussed, I just found out about RCT4 today (I know I am late) and registered here I AM SO EXCITED. I got a new computer for Christmas with windows 8 and it has what I thought would be good specs because of the RAM and quad core processing. I wasn't expecting to play a game on this because of my xbox one. Do you think these specs will be okay for RCT4 gaming?

Windows 8.1
    Processor: AMD A6-6310 APU with AMD Radeon R4 Graphics 1.80 GHz
    Installed memory: 8.00 GB (6.93 GB usable)
    System Type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

My current PC performance running browser and whatever windows 8 is running in the background:
    CPU: around 45% (81 processes)
    Memory: 2.8/6.9 (41%)
    Disk: going between 8%-18%

Also why do I have so many processes running on a brand new computer using 41% CPU?

Junior Enthusiast 0BobTheJanitor's Avatar
    It seems like this would be fine, however we don't know how optimized the game will be. I'd come back when more info is announced, or send an email to Area 52.

No one knows the specs aren't out yet.

But you could do with more memory. 16Gb would be more comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by PixelPlayer View Post
    No one knows the specs aren't out yet.

But you could do with more memory. 16Gb would be more comfortable.
    Thanks for the reply! =)
    So, I am not a super techy person, do most laptops have the ability to easily add Ram? How much do you think that would cost?

How much RAM does a modern PC game use on average? How much did RCT3?

8Gb RAM should be fine. However your processor running 1.8Ghz isn't very fast for gaming.

Junior Enthusiast 0BobTheJanitor's Avatar
    RCT is a casual game, and I don't think cjsleme is trying to max out his framerate; 1.8GHz should be fine. But again it all depends on how optimized the game is, and potentially how big your parks will be. Also I wouldn't worry about adding ram if you just plan to play Roller Coaster Tycoon. 8gb should be sufficient for this game.

edit: I'm not sure how tech-savvy you are, so here is some info about what was talked about:

CPU (Central Processing Unit): All the computer calculations are done here. The operations are divided into cores; most CPUs have 2-4 cores.

Clockspeed: How many CPU cycles are done per second. 1GHz is 1,000,000,000 cycles per second, so your CPU is pretty fast compared to how many operations a person can do, but because computers do so much at once that can be slow for larger games. (Your XBox, 1.75GHz, has a slower clockspeed than your laptop, but it is not running Windows at the same time)

RAM (Randomly Accessed Memory): Short term memory for your computer. When anything is loaded, it is stored into ram for faster access than from your hard drive. Having extra ram is not an issue until it starts to fill up, then it starts storing it in slower, uglier ways.

Anyways I'm just an enthusiast, pretty new I should add, so if anyone has any corrections I'd be appreciative. (If you already know this, then my apologies)
    Last edited by 0BobTheJanitor; 01-03-2015 at 09:42 PM. Reason: *fine

I work in the PC gaming industry and 1.8Ghz for gaming is quite low. Minimum spec for a non-triple-A title game (one that doesn't push graphical content and physics and stuff to the max) is usually a minimum of 2.4Ghz. I've seen computers with 1.8Ghz processors in them running games and the gameplay is slow and can be jerky. It will all come down to how RCTW is optimised and the target platform spec it's being developed for. Your RAM is great but your processor could be a bottleneck in running the game. Time will tell...

Thanks for the info guys! If I do not have enough processing power, is that something I can add to the computer like RAM can be added? Or would I need a different computer.

Just for a reference, does anyone know how much processing power RCT3 used? I know it was like 10 years ago though lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast