• More realistic

47 57.32%
  • Realistic

26 31.71%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Realism or Not?

Passive Peep

Poll: Realism or Not?

Please vote in the section above on your preference and tell us why in the comment section.

Poll Options:
    1 - Non-Realistic - Rides and physics that are unrealistic, very cartoonist style, unrealistic peeps...etc
    4 - Realistic - Great 3D graphics, very realistic rides/support/stalls, realistic queue lines and roller coasters...etc
    Last edited by ncutt010; 12-17-2014 at 01:22 AM.

I like a mixture of both.

I prefer screenshots in cartoon style for now... But I wait to see real screenshots In 3D (Which seems to be very different of RCT3)

Naturally, quite a vast quantity of people are going to want this to be the most accurate and realistic theme park simulation game available, completely forgetting the whole 'Tycoon' aspect to the game. The graphics have already proven to be quite cartooney, and let's be realistic when it comes to getting the ability to divide up queue lines into single rider, fast track and main etc. Some resources are dedicated better off elsewhere. Yes, on the whole I would like to see a more realistic game, but in the long run I think the tools should be provided for the community to provide this as has been demonstrated with RCT3, whilst delivering a more casual game to those with perhaps a lesser interest in recreating a full blown theme park, but just want to mess around on a small scale.

I like ''more realistic''. The graphics and peeps a bit better, better track builder, better buildings but still having that charming and nice cartoony tycoon aspect.

Passive Peep
    I think we need realism but to a certain degree.....I think RCT1 and RCT2 hit the spot as far a realism....3 wasnt too bad..the custom scenery helped

I want this to be a small step down from the complexity of Theme park studio but please make it nothing like Sims Theme Park

My vote is a 3
    Last edited by ncutt010; 12-14-2014 at 09:09 PM.

Passive Peep
    I voted Realistic. I think the first 2 games hit the nail on the head when it comes to realism vs. playability. I wouldn't mind more realism as long as it doesn't detract from the fun at all. Basically, you shouldn't need a management degree to be able to understand how the game works.

For me, I really would like the realism to be on the park rides and management of the game world, but I'd love to see more arcade-ish/less realistic layout; more or less the isometric "feel" of the RCT1 and RCT2 days. If that makes any sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Naturally, quite a vast quantity of people are going to want this to be the most accurate and realistic theme park simulation game available, completely forgetting the whole 'Tycoon' aspect to the game. The graphics have already proven to be quite cartooney, and let's be realistic when it comes to getting the ability to divide up queue lines into single rider, fast track and main etc. Some resources are dedicated better off elsewhere. Yes, on the whole I would like to see a more realistic game, but in the long run I think the tools should be provided for the community to provide this as has been demonstrated with RCT3, whilst delivering a more casual game to those with perhaps a lesser interest in recreating a full blown theme park, but just want to mess around on a small scale.
    I think Danny sums it up very well. Take it to a certain point, but allow for the community to develop the more complex mechanisms that take it to exacting realism

Can I just say that I think this poll is biased.

"1 - Non-Realistic - Rides and physics that are unrealistic, very cartoonist style, unrealistic peeps...etc
    4 - Realistic - Good 3D graphics, realistic rides/support/stalls, realistic queue lines and roller coasters...etc"

Does having "good 3D graphics" under realistic make bad 3D graphics for unrealistic?

Can I also say that there's an unfair stigma attached to cartoony graphics. Looking at classics like Theme Hospital, SimCity 3000 and even Rollercoaster Tycoon 3, these all had pretty cartoon graphics. However, they had serious simulations running behind them.

Nowadays, we associate cartoony graphics with unfun gameplay simply because so many recent games, which happen to be cartoony, are also the type to hold the players' hands and be over simplified. Now seriously, would Theme Hospital be as fun if it was realistic with real diseases?

Now I agree that some things need to stay realistic in RCTW, such as physics, behaviours (happiness/toilet/hunger...) and even world behaviours (such as no floating objects or tracks that cross each other unnaturally). Saying that, having a cute cartoony style can really make the game look beautiful if done properly. People might have appreciated SimCity 2013's graphics if they had played enough time into the game (which suffered from replayability problems beyond a few hours).

So let's rethink what we consider to be "realistic" and "unrealistic", as to be fair this does not have to just apply to cartoony vs natural graphics. A very cartoony game can have rich emotions because it is realistic, whilst a natural coloured game could feel unrealistic because it lacks emotion and richness.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast