Thread: Path texture blending

Path texture blending

I love the spline based path system, but it would be nice if the textures didn't suddenly stop and actually blended in to each other. I'm not sure if simple alpha layering would work, I recommend also trying vertex painting (which could be built off the normal map) to get a realistic blending depending on the material. Of course if it's concrete > metal it would have to be sudden, but it wouldn't be difficult to realistically blend different types of a similar material if you categorize them.

I wouldn't like it blended as you say, but having brick patterns cut off in the middle don't look too visually appealing either. If they figure out how to make the patterns so it won't look too jarring

Blending would be good for dirt/sand/gravel paths. For asphalt/concrete/stone/brick paths, they usually have a pretty definitive spot where they stop. Asphalt, though, does start to kind of blend in when it gets older and brick/stone paths can blend in with grass when they are overgrown.

Sand/dirt/gravel path blending would be neat, but I don't think they need to simulate aging asphalt and brick in the release game. They could be a good candidate for a mod, provided we have adequate tools.