Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should all RCT World DLC be free?

Volunteer
    Small little dlc packs should be free. Anything that brings brand new content should be associated with a minimal charge ( new coaster types etc.) Huge content packs should be the usual expansion pack cost.

This, for me, what should be free or not :

What should be free :

- Small "DLC"
    (Modders gonna make those for free, doesnt matter if it's official or made by the community, it should be free anyway)

- New "Content Pack" should be free too
    (Like : "Christmas Pack", "Halloween Pack", etc ... with official new themed objects, restaurants, rides, etc... to show that the developers are still active, and retain players)

What should be not :

- The game itself : $49.99
    (of course ...)

- Expansions Pack. : Something like $29.99 each
    (Like "RCTW - Hotels and Resort" / "RCTW - Wild and Safari" / "RCTW - Waterpark")

- Boxed "Legendary Edition" of the game : Something like around $100
    (Like many other games, with idk : the game, a poster, one art book and one figurine for exemple)

- Marketing objects : $X,XX to $XXX,XX
    (Real items on the website shop, for big fans, like Figurine, T-Shirt, Bag, Mug, Mousepad, others various gadgets and toys)

Oh, and one more thing : For the American Continent only, they should offer a "reduction coupon" for all the Six Flag tickets (US, Canada and Mexico) for any purchase of the game (it's just an idea)

Passive Peep
    wel you expansion pack price is to high for my budget but i like the deluxe edition more for some of a reason

Quote Originally Posted by Angelis View Post
    Oh, and one more thing : For the American Continent only, they should offer a "reduction coupon" for all the Six Flag tickets (US, Canada and Mexico) for any purchase of the game (it's just an idea)
    This is a great idea, and also kind of going off of this; I have no idea if anyone else here has ever played Virtual Magic Kingdom? It was an MMO created by Sulake and Disney which was the virtual "reality" of Disneyland and Disney wWrld combined sort of (moreso Disneyland than World) but you were able to unlock special edition items, stamps, cards and more by visiting different parks. I was thinking since, Atari is currently in cahoots with Six Flags they could have it so you could unlock special items corresponding to each park you visit. So like, for instance, if I went to Six Flags Great Adventure, I could plugin my ticket receipt (or season pass number) into a rewards module within game options which would redeem an unlock for The Golden Kingdom Theme set (which is the land where Kingda Ka and Zumanjaro are situated). Or if someone were to go to Six Flags Fiesta Texas they could unlock the Justice League: Battle For Metropolis Dark Ride... Things of that nature, I think would be a very cool aspect to the game and add a sense of continuity? Also kind of get coaster enthusiasts and the general gamer to get out of the house and explore and be rewarded for doing so! And once RCTW is more established, perhaps they can expand among other parks (not sure if Six Flags has them under an exclusivity then this would be null), such as Cedar Fair, Disney, Universal and the miscellaneous local parks around the states, or even around the world!

/end semi-off topic idea

Now, back onto the topic of "Should all RCT World DLC be free?".

Ideally, as a consumer, yes. But from a business standpoint (or even more so, Atari's standpoint, aka a publisher that hasn't really got much mullah too them right now, and would benefit greatly from this), no, not entirely. As others have elaborated, core features should be free, but we also have to define core features, as, coaster types are definitely a core feature, but should they all be free?

My answer is, to an extent yes, maybe have the user base vote/give input on the number of coaster types they see as an acceptable amount for the base game (as these additional types would be patched in), currently the game is at 10 different track types, correct? So, I think if they got to the point where they covered a lot of the general most common coaster types for free, then they could start pushing others into additional packs.

Seasonal items, should probably be free, mainly decorations to enhance the park. But I see no issue with a Holiday pack geared towards holiday themed rides and even more decorations to really transform the park. A good example of something that could come in such a pack would be the ability to host fright fests, and have terror trails, hayrides, holiday themed parades and stuff!

I'd also like to see more weather beyond rain options (if there aren't already) patched in such as snow, or I wouldn't even mind an expansion furthering the features and effects of weather, such as a blizzard shutting down your park for the day, trees gradually changing, heat waves, floods, tornadoes, actual seasonal rotation, etc...

Then, we move onto the things we've seen in the past already in expansion packs. Water parks, and zoos. I'm totally okay with that. I do hope that they bring in the ability to have preset loops for waterslides as these have really become common. As well as trapdoors/freefalls and other extreme types of water slides. As for zoos, I think the only thing they need to retouch there are more animal types, and maybe throw in the ability to build a manage actual aquariums.

Aside from those topics, I think other DLC ideas are really up in the air, as they could go any direction. I think, for the most part outside of Waterparks and Zoos, as well as the potential Seasons expansion pack, there wouldn't necessarily be really big features within these packs, and they'd be filled more with extra rides, decorations and maybe a new coaster type or two. With that said, a good median in terms of price range for these DLC packs would be $10-%15, pushing $20 for things like Soaked and Wild.
    Last edited by brandino; 10-01-2015 at 07:06 PM.

This photo basically compares RCT3 to what will become of RCTW...
    games-now-and-then-burgers-original-game-expansion-pack-dlc-content.jpg

Super Moderator
    Volunteer
    Quote Originally Posted by mehi321 View Post
    I like the pre order bonus!

Passive Peep
    Quote Originally Posted by mehi321 View Post
    Actually, RCT3 didn't have as much at launch as you probably think. It didn't even get tunnels until the Soaked expansion pack, which you had to PAY for. And we're getting those for free when they're ready, as well as many other things. It's great that we're getting features later on for free rather than having them be rushed out, but I think it's incredibly naive to think that ALL DLC should be free. The stuff that should be free are stuff that was in past games, gameplay tweaks, and maybe even some new themes. However, I have no problem paying for stuff like new rides (as long as they're not just themed versions of other rides), new coasters, new maps, etc.

Dlc

Quote Originally Posted by OTR24 View Post
    Should all the DLC released for RCTW be free?
    If they are micro updates like PAYDAY2, I'd rather have them free... $60 is already paid enough.
    However expansion packs like RCT series; yes the DLC should be priced (about $10~20 per packs, 5 packs at max)

I think some of the posts here are regarding DLC as equatable to the features we have in RCT3 that are not going to be available at release. Items that make the game such that you can make complete parks in Sandbox. Transport rides, Water rides, Dark Rides, scenery building.

Items that we have had in previous versions that make the game playable as it should be, should be free.

But DLC is not really about missing features. It is about content.

New content, such as a Circus show, (we had a Circus attraction in 3) but where you can choose the acts, and then program the length of the act and the length of the entire show. Such as Lion Tamer, Tiger Tamer, Horse riders, little dogs, Clowns, High Wire, Trapeze, Rope Dancers, Elephants. The programming to make it so that these items, when viewed with Coaster Cam, for instance are such that this alone might be a $4.99 DLC piece. Maybe a $9.99 if there are the Circus Side Shows, and a midway in that pack. So that would be true DLC, probably not doable in UGC for Steam Workshop.

The modifications to the game to do Dark Rides, and tunnels, that should be free.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast