Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Career Mode Ideas

Lightbulb Career Mode Ideas

These are my ideas for the campaign or 'story mode' of the game;

1. A map or satellite style park selection view to select from multiple parks, which can be started by the player in any order. For example, when you select the campaign game mode, you are presented with an overhead view of an area, which will get larger as the player progress further into the game. You have the option of which park you would like to start first, with multiple parks being unlocked, and available to be played at any time. As you beat parks, harder properties are 'put up for sale' (unlocked). This would be much better than a more linear approach of giving one new park to play at a time.

2. Some sort of attempt at a story. Not something deep, but make me feel like I'm building a theme park empire and not just building one park, selling it, and moving on to the next one.

3. Parks continuing to 'go about business' after beating them. You would still have the option of continuing from your last save, however you would also have the option of dropping in as if the park had continued as usual without your assistance. This would encourage players to go back and continue to play and evolve once thriving parks, that through a variety of circumstances have started to slip from their former glory.

My ideas put together;

You start off as a theme park enthusiast, living in a mid sized town in mid-America, and you've just inherited a large sum of money.

You are then presented with the campaign park screen which could either look like a stylized map or could be a satellite view which starts off with a view of the continents. The view zooms closer and closer until you have just your county in view, which consists of just a few smaller sized towns. Areas which are purchasable are outlined, and when hovered-over display more information about the property, such as cost, lot size, nearby demographic information, and difficulty. The further you progress in the game the further out the view is zoomed (which the player can manually zoom in), allowing you to pan around and purchase from a wide variety of properties in different locations.

The two properties that the you have the option of purchasing (in my hypothetical scenario)would display more information about the scenario when clicked on (before confirming to start the park). The first park's description: "KABLAMO! is a family fun center in the middle of the largest town in the county. The property has an arcade, small go-karts track, and mini-golf. The property is going for 80% of your starting cash due to its prime location, however profits have plummeted over the last 4 years, and the fun center has fallen into disrepair. The lot size is small in size, however it has a small amount of undeveloped land on the other side of the parking lot. The nearby demographic largely consists of teenagers and adults, which may be the reason the the 'kiddie' attractions have failed to attract a large audience. Can you turn this family fun center into a family THRILL center?"

Your other starting option would be: "Riverview Ranch is a large open property located halfway between the three towns of Generic County. The property consists of a ranch house, two barns and all the necessary fencing to raise a herd of cattle. A small river cuts diagonally through the property. The ranch is going for 70% of your starting cash, however unlike the other property, you will have no starting source of income, which may require you to take out a loan to finance any attractions (after setting up necessary infrastructure such as bathrooms, paths, and everything else that a profiting theme park should have.) Also, being so far outside of a town may require you to spend more on advertising then a park located within the daily commute of so many people (however, you have a higher potential to attract an overall larger amount of peeps with the right attractions.) Can you wrangle up a large enough crowd to make a profit at this failed ranch?"

After completing all the objectives of a park and exiting out of it, your game is saved at the point from where you left. But when you go back and click on a park that you have already beaten, you have the option of continuing from right where you left off, or you can jump in as if the park has been operating the whole time, with out you overseeing it. This could mean the park has fallen into complete disrepair, with employees quitting, and profits plummeting. This all depends of course, on the condition of you park when you last left it. If you had hired and trained a sufficient amount of employees, your park should theoretically run smoothly with out you having to oversee it. However, there is always room for natural disasters or other ways to encourage players to go back to old parks and check up on things.

Each park should have a separate 'bank account' which doesn't affect each other. However, I do think the campaign mode should have an aspect of purchasing properties. For that to work (and to add to the story and realism) the player is prompted to create a company after beating their first park. They choose the name and logo which can be used to brand all their future parks (if they choose to) and which will be used to purchase all of the properties for the rest of the game. The final objective of each park could be to save up enough funds in your current park to purchase one of the next properties.

I think this would actually be a really interesting feature. I think the Career Mode in the original RCT was one of my favorites and RCT3 just didn't see to have the same feel.

Volunteer
    I like how in rct3 there were multiple requirements to meet for each level. Rct1 had a lot of charm though and steals the cake for me when it comes to scenarios.

I'd like to have some attempt at a story that doesn't go over the top.

Volunteer
    What if you made your own peep that was like the manager of your park? That could be nifty!

I like a lot this whole concept! As you said, it would make it less dull than just playing one unlocked scenario at a time.

Also, I can see it develop into something very brilliant. Like, if we imagine something like a map similar to the United States, Each park could have varying themes depending on the location. Like in Florida we could expect summer season with sand, palmier and beach or pirate themes. While in other regions, like Minesota or Michigan, there could be more of a snow them. The product which would be sold would have to fit the scenery. Like you could sell sun cream or sun glasses in Florida, but it would look out of place in cooler regions. Also, it would make variety in the scenarios because you might find yourself with the challenge of adjusting your park to accommodate the peeps and the rides to the weather. Like in rainier area you'd have to be more able to give shelter to your peeps, or they'll get sick or want to go home. The rides would need an extra protection or maintenance against the weather. While in hotter and sunnier regions you'd have to make sure the peeps don't get dehydrated or some other stuff like that!

It might also explain why people would take a train or a monorail to travel from a theme park to another one, why they have hotels to rest, how they could compare the services and rate them.

More over, on multiplayer mode you could pick a city which represents yourself or where you live, and people would be shown on the map, rather than just by a list of name or something else!

I'd like if they could do something based on your concept!

What a great thread (so far). I hope I don't destroy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stebun View Post
    These are my ideas for the campaign or 'story mode' of the game;

1. A map or satellite style park selection view to select from multiple parks, which can be started by the player in any order. For example, when you select the campaign game mode, you are presented with an overhead view of an area, which will get larger as the player progress further into the game. You have the option of which park you would like to start first, with multiple parks being unlocked, and available to be played at any time. As you beat parks, harder properties are 'put up for sale' (unlocked). This would be much better than a more linear approach of giving one new park to play at a time.
    Oh, what nice that would be!

Quote Originally Posted by osuphantom View Post
    I think the Career Mode in the original RCT was one of my favorites and RCT3 just didn't see to have the same feel.
    Agree. In RCT1 all the scenarios were very well balanced, and you couldn't resist trying to lock them up. In RCT3 some missions were great, others boring (you had to wait years to pay back the loans or something).

Quote Originally Posted by ddrplaya4638 View Post
    I like how in rct3 there were multiple requirements to meet for each level.
    Yes, that was a very good thing with RCT3. You returned to the scenarios to lock up next level.

Quote Originally Posted by maxie04 View Post
    Also, I can see it develop into something very brilliant. Like, if we imagine something like a map similar to the United States, Each park could have varying themes depending on the location. Like in Florida we could expect summer season with sand, palmier and beach or pirate themes. While in other regions, like Minesota or Michigan, there could be more of a snow them.
    Agree.

I have an idea of my own to. When you do your own scenarios for others to play and challenges to solve, you have the possibility to include two options:

1. A password to open the scenario
    2. A text message when you successfully complete a scenario/challenge

Those two things will make it possible for everybody to create a career mode. I'll show you how:

1. you start with 1 unlocked scenario (no password of course) and 2 locked scenarios (with passwords)
    2. You complete the unlocked scenario and get the message, which is the password for scenario 2
    3. When you finish scenario 2 you get a message with the password to scenario 3
    4. And so on...

Let's not have limits on how much land can be bought in each scenario (after that scenario has been completed). Completed scenarios should also have no research limits. Some of the pre designed parks were very great, it should be that, completed scenarios, can then be opened in Sandbox and customized. I love the idea of completed scenarios playing while you are elsewhere in the "world". I don't think we need a story, but if there is a story. Your's is as good as any. I might say...

You get hired as General Manager of a "Entertainment and Amusements" company. the early scenarios, would have tasks to teach the dynamics of the game, decisions that a general manager would make. Once a few scenarios have been completed, you get a promotion and the next set of scenarios focus on development and design elements. You could even go back to the previous scenarios and use your executive skill set to change things about the park layout and land management that previously you had no authority to use. Then you get another promotion and gain access to a new region of parks to run, revive develop and expand. You never sell any park, and you accumulate an empire of Amusements. There should be stats for how many parks, how many coasters, over all net company value( stats for EVERYTHING), and eventually the ability to purchase real life parks like Alton Towers, Cedar Point, Universal Studios. I would think licensing for that would make the game expensive, so maybe they could bring back the coolest parks from the RCT 1,2 and 3 games. Modding seems to be a focus, so even if the "real" parks are not included, I am sure there will be some great mods.
    There should be a way to import custom scenarios made by friends.

Volunteer
    If they did anything with real parks with would need darkrides. Universal studios is like 80 percent dark rides.

I posted this before the Six Flags announcement....

Now maybe they could implement Six Flags as your competitor in the career mode or have you play the history of Six Flags, by putting you in control of real life Six Flag parks in the condition of when the company actually acquired them (Or initially constructed them).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast