Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alton Towers Secret Weapon 8

Cool Alton Towers Secret Weapon 8

Even though the Smiler incident has affected Alton, they seem to be hinting at SW8. We found out about the Smiler from Scarefest 2012, and it seems they could be doing the same thing again. Several strange markings and tree clearances are appearing in Forbidden valley, far away from the new Air pre-show and restaurant hotel extension. There is also new Twitter images popping up, and the Phalanx control account that has been inactive for the past 3 years has lit up again, posting co-ordinates and strange numbers and lettering. There is a new scarezone in forbidden valley about the Phalanx, the group that attempt to keep the Nemesis creature subdued. Setting up this thread early so it can be discussed. Very interesting developments, something to watch in the coming months.

What will the World Record/World's first element be?

Let's hope it's a B&M! I don't know how true this is but someone supposedly got hold of planning applications and concept drawings. This is coming from twitter and youtube comments, I wouldn't trust the truth at all to be honest, but it's interesting!

I know this is a pretty late reply but there are rumours of a woodie!

A woodie? Do companies actually make them anymore?

There are rumors of a Woodie, and the plans Merlin submitted to the council imply some form of hybrid to the Left of Nemesis: Sub-Terra. However, I have doubts about them going head with this as planned after the Smiler accident, though the profit loss of 2015 could mean a bigger push towards getting a new attraction up and running in 2017. I can't see them going for a wooden coaster though, the headlines would be all crying about the ride not being safe despite the fact that 3-4 hours away is Blackpool with some of the oldest running wooden coasters in the world. They could end up doing what they did with SW7 and go for a plan B; The Smiler wasn't part of their original plan, but they needed to get something up and running in 2013 so they switched to The Smiler project, which is ultimately why the ride feels a little unfinished and has degraded so fast. We could see something similar happen with SW8, but pretty much anything could happen at this point.

Also I read somewhere recently that apparently the tree clearances were due to a fungus that they needed to keep under control. A woodie would be cool but I do prefer steel overall. Can't see the locals being too happy with the noise it would make and the height that they may need for it to be any good - though they do have a habit of being creative with their height restrictions!

Also Keegan - woodies certainly are still being made! Whilst I'm not personally aware of any new ones a quick search found this article from earlier this year: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...l-seekers.html

Could there ever be a woodie at Alton Towers? The building height restriction is pretty limiting and woodie's need pretty tall lift hills (or at least world class one's do).

Super Moderator
    Volunteer
    This is coming from an American who's never been to Alton Towers, but why the height restriction? I believe I had heard it was something about the locals not wanting a skyline? Anyway it seems they've done a superb job of adjusting to the height restriction. I can't believe how nice Nemesis fits in.
    Last edited by coaster6; 11-26-2015 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coaster6 View Post
    This is coming from an American who's never been to Alton Towers, but why the height restriction? I believe I had heard it was something about the locals not wanting a skyline? Anyway it seems they've done a superb job of adjusting to the height restriction. I can't believe how nice that
    Ironically its heritage protection for the historic towers at the heart of the park. They have to remain unimpaired visually. As does the roll of the land viewed from a distance. So long story short, any ride that comes above a certain height either has to be made smaller or put underground. Or hidden altogether somehow!

Also a nearby very snobby village complains about everything they try and planning permission for. Over the years they have had to redesign rides to make them quieter due to noise restrictions and also work with the authorities to improve traffic flow to/from the park.

But it's a good thing overall, a sit has meant the park remains beautiful and it has lead to rides that are just more special than others even if not as big. The nemesis is awesome as it slices through rock and pits, and the drop tower... Well they had to fully bury that! And the smiler, is a masterpiece of design.

Super Moderator
    Volunteer
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Ironically its heritage protection for the historic towers at the heart of the park. They have to remain unimpaired visually. As does the roll of the land viewed from a distance. So long story short, any ride that comes above a certain height either has to be made smaller or put underground. Or hidden altogether somehow!

Also a nearby very snobby village complains about everything they try and planning permission for. Over the years they have had to redesign rides to make them quieter due to noise restrictions and also work with the authorities to improve traffic flow to/from the park.

But it's a good thing overall, a sit has meant the park remains beautiful and it has lead to rides that are just more special than others even if not as big. The nemesis is awesome as it slices through rock and pits, and the drop tower... Well they had to fully bury that! And the smiler, is a masterpiece of design.
    Whoops my post got cut off at the end there. So ok, that makes more sense. I guess you'll never see a hyper or strata over there, but they've certainly found ways to overcome these obstacles. It'd be cool to have a scenario in RCTW with restrictions like that. Wasn't there a height restriction on a few scenarios back in RCT2?
    Super Moderator
    Team RollerCoaster Tycoon World

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast