View Poll Results: how badly do you want curved paths and different width paths?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's 2015, obviously I expect realistic paths in a premium game! Why is this poll even necessary??

80 57.55%
  • It's not a deal breaker but it's one of my top hopes for the game.

40 28.78%
  • I could take it or leave it. I'm massively disinterested in all paths.

16 11.51%
  • In my perfect dream park, all paths are straight and narrow. I don't want curves.

3 2.16%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to settle the curved paths debate once and for all

PLEASE VOTE!! - Time to settle the curved paths debate once and for all

I have probably bored people by going on about the apparent lack of curved paths more than anyone else on here - but I know I'm not alone.

For me a 'premium' RCT game can only justify itself as 'premium' if it does what the games before it did - and moves the genre forwards, innovates and expands the possibilities to be more creative, and more closely recreate the feel of a real theme park.

I believe that curving, twisting, wide paths are a fundamental part of the sense of fun and adventure at almost all theme parks. And as the majority of flat rides are circular, it's neater to curve a path round them - whether you're playing a game or building a real park, it's generally going to look better and more interesting if the paths sweep amongst the rides, landscape and scenery.

I'm not saying that RCTW will be defined as good or bad on paths alone, just that it's an obvious way to improve on RCT3, and surely that has to be the point of a new game.

So please vote. I think if enough people do it will provide very useful feedback for Atari.
    Last edited by Deuce; 06-27-2015 at 01:29 PM.

Wouldn't it be good if Mattlab voted for #1 in the poll?

3 votes in and it seems obvious!

Quote Originally Posted by magicart87 View Post
    3 votes in and it seems obvious!
    Well obviously I'm biased! But I would love to get 100+ votes and for the vast majority to be in favour of better paths. I really do think Atari could only see such a big demand as useful information for them too. They do want to sell the game at some point!

Super Moderator
    Volunteer
    I want curved paths but I think they're a tad overrated. Deuce makes a good point, but the paths are just RCT history. They feel nostalgic! I definitely need to see better designs on them, though.

Quote Originally Posted by coaster6 View Post
    I want curved paths but I think they're a tad overrated. Deuce makes a good point, but the paths are just RCT history. They feel nostalgic! I definitely need to see better designs on them, though.
    I think what we saw in PCSE trailer looked like a sensible balance. The paths weren't free form curved (so far as we can tell) but looked like you could go off at a few set angles and move from narrow to wider paths, with junction pieces. I think this would make sense as it increases creative possibilities whilst still basically keeping things in line with some sort of grid.

I think we can all agree that path edges/kerb stones would also be a step forwards, which I note do appear on latest rctw screen.

Super Moderator
    Volunteer
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I believe that curving, twisting, wide paths are a fundamental part of the sense of fun and adventure at almost all theme parks. And as the majority of flat rides are circular, it's neater to curve a path round them - whether you're playing a game or building a real park, it's generally going to look better and more interesting if the paths sweep amongst the rides, landscape and scenery.
    You make some good points

Quote Originally Posted by coaster6 View Post
    You make a fair point. The nostalgia factor. I think the compromise could be old school "path textures" as well as having the option to build per usual as done in RCT-RCT3.

By curved paths: I'd love to just drag cursor on the ground (essentially drawing a path) and then auto-snap to a cleaner, better-looking path design. Regardless of path type; it still sounds like a grid system might be needed for refinement.

Something that hasn't been discussed (at least I don't think) would be to build paths via nodes like our coasters! With node-based paths we could theoretically position and re-position paths in any configuration without the need for a grid system or the expenses of deleting and placing "tiles"

In any case, I personally would like curved paths. However, and more importantly I want the ability to curve a path in any direction. If we simply just ask for "curved paths"... Who Knows! We might just get "curved pieces" which I don't think would be a good compromise for a 2015 themepark builder game.

I'll throw this idea out there too if interested: Invisible paths!
    We could have that "free-range openness" but still have defined walk paths for the Peeps. Essentially the illusion of no paths.
    Last edited by magicart87; 06-25-2015 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by magicart87 View Post

In any case, I personally would like curved paths. However, and more importantly I want the ability to curve a path in any direction. If we simply just ask for "curved paths"... Who Knows! We might just get "curved pieces" which I don't think would be a good compromise for a 2015 themepark builder game.
    That's the compromise right there. Because the paths have to meet with ride entrances, stalls etc at some point things have to snap and line up. This could be achieved using node driven paths that you put down first, then the items that link to the paths snap to the paths you already laid, but snapping a food stall to a free form path would take quite some doing from a development pov. It would also inevitably lead to the occasional graphical error, overlaps and gaps.

The other option is to stick to some sort of grid (it could be allow for rotation at 15degree angles rather than 90 degrees) so that everything always joins up. With enough variety of path pieces you could create entirely fluid looking designs and still have the convenience of grid to assist rapid construction and crucially ensure scenery and CS also line up with assets as intended.

It's not often I promote the easy solution over the 'most flexible' solution, but I think that one thing that will always be incredibly important to any game is user friendliness - especially in a game that also needs to be useable by kids.

But now coasters are moving up from preformed track sections to nodes, it makes sense that paths move up from square tiles to some preformed sections too. It would be a natural and sensible progression IMO.

I see the vote is currently at 80% for new paths, 20% to keep the old. A famous analyst once stated that most questions don't get asked until the balance of opinion is already 80/20! I would google it but I can't remember their name and 80/20 just brings up a few million other examples of the 80/20 rule lol

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast