Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If things don't work out, how about...

Passive Peep
    Coming from a softare engineer, You can't do any more to rct3 than what's already been done. There has been a lot of custom scenery which is permitted but adding in new tracks, rides, etc isn't something that can be done by third party developers.

So don't get your hopes up. And besides, rct3 stunk as far as performance. It was just a poorly implemented game which limited you to 1 or 2 k peeps in a park at a time. Even with modern 2015 computers the game still lags.

But back to ur point about us building off of rct3. Can't really do anymore than what's been done already. Doing what ur suggesting you would need to modify the original code...and that's not possible
    Last edited by ncutt010; 06-21-2015 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 0BobTheJanitor View Post
    Assuming it is all under a dll or exe, accessing usable code would be difficult.
    Besides it's illegal to do that, it is not to difficult to enter/extract the *.exe file, many people do that (to publish no-cd cracks, or something like that). But you violate the license agreement if you do this and change the protected code is a violation of this agreement too.

So lets hope that RCTW become a good game and not the last part of a beloved franchise.

People have tried very hard to properly mid rct3, but it's all been skin deep at best. The trouble is the engine is proprietary, not open source - so to reverse engineer the code that went into building the game would take as much effort as simply coding a new game from scratch.

Someone did make some custom track sections which were hugely impressive. But I think the game us done. I still play it sometimes but am constantly frustrated by its limitations (by modern standards).

Also, let's be realistic here - if the only reason to mod RCT3 is 'in case' the new games fail, as one of the new games is being made by the rct3 devs anyway, it seems a pretty flawed plan! How could volunteer community make a better version of rct3 than the people who made it in the first place??

^ I agree, but having been part of the RCT3 modding community for years I can't agree with the generalisation of the reason to mod it as "in case the new games fail".

For years, modding has gone on while there were no future games in sight. The people in the community do it because they love to do it and to add to the collective RCT3 experience. Players help each other out and create new elements for others to work with, whilst doing/making something they enjoy. Along with the fact that it is, because of this, right now for many people the best game to build what they want, this creates a small community that constantly progresses. At least for me, this is one of the reason why I love to play RCT3 and be a part of the community.
    Last edited by Silvarret; 06-21-2015 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvarret View Post
    ^ I agree, but having been part of the RCT3 modding community for years I can't agree with the generalisation of the reason to mod it as "in case the new games fail".

For years, modding has gone on while there were no future games in sight. The people in the community do it because they love to do it and to add to the collective RCT3 experience. Players help each other out and create new elements for others to work with, whilst doing/making something they enjoy. Along with the fact that it is, because of this, right now for many people the best game to build what they want, this creates a small community that constantly progresses. At least for me, this is one of the reason why I love to play RCT3 and be a part of the community.
    But that's not modding, it's CS. And custom scenarios and minor tweaks etc. So far as I know no one has been able to 'mod' the game to the degree it could really be modernised.

Please don't misunderstand me, I too am massively thankful for all the ppl that have pushed the boundaries and developed so much content for the game. Atari should also be much more engaged and thankful to these people - without the community RCT3 could never have lived long enough to shift 10million units.

Ok, let us suppose someone do create a mod,adds photo-realistic or highly detailed rides and peeps but will the engine be capable enough to handle because already we know how game lags with low polys.Already there would be a limit to number of polys the engine can handle.So its really difficult but we can expect more custom scenery as both RCTW and PCSE releases.

let's wait for ingame footage of RCTW first before talking about these things, don't be too pessimistic guys

I agree with ExtraCheese, this is really jumping the gun.

But you know that while Atari distributed and owns RCT3, Frontier created it and the engine it was built with. So it would be really questionable how, even if they could, Atari could update RCT3 without Frontier's involvement. And that was highly unlikely before, even more so now with a competing games coming from Frontier. I doubt there will even be the day when either of them reveal some of the coding that the community hasn't been able figure out.

You're right, Deuce - that was a misunderstanding. I used "modding" as an umbrella term for all user-created content, be it cs, ct's, cfr's or mods.

The point I just wanted to make clear is that the rct3 community doesn't revolve around just pushing the boundaries of the game itself; the modifications to the games are means to be creative, and not goals. At the end of the day, if something better does come along, I expect most RCT3 players to jump on it. Most are quite hopeful for both RCTW and Planet Coaster.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12