Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The gauntlet has been dropped; how will Atari respond?

Passive Peep
    If it makes MATLAB and atari feel any better...chances are I'll get them both

I actually came across Planet Coaster on accident. I love the feel of the game a lot. I don't want something that is too realistic. It's one of the things I have loved about the RCT franchise. The first thing I noticed was the paths in the trailer. Love that it isn't just straight paths anymore. I honestly will be buying both games (RCTW and PC) like ncutt010.

that trailer really is pretty solid. it's in line with what i would expect from an initial trailer. it is in line with what atari did with their initial trailer really - they are very similar, in showing a first 'peek' at what is to be expected. but frontier just did it SO... MUCH... BETTER...

and they already have 3D models and such up on their web site, about as many screen shots as we've seen in the last oh 8 months or so?

the competition is clear at this point. it's too bad atari didn't get out of the gate sooner, because now that task has just been made exponentially more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by tycoon View Post
    it's too bad atari didn't get out of the gate sooner, because now that task has just been made exponentially more difficult.
    I don't think the whole controversy surrounding Pipeworks didn't help either.
    Not to mention whatever happened to Area-52...

They've had a really tough time getting this thing off the ground. And both games are still very early into development.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    I don't think the whole controversy surrounding Pipeworks didn't help either.
    Not to mention whatever happened to Area-52...

They've had a really tough time getting this thing off the ground. And both games are still very early into development.
    no, it absolutely did not. and i don't understand why area52 was booted either, and find it somewhat suspect that they've announced the game has again changed hands in terms of developer.

i said it in another thread and will again here, i think the biggest mistake was not hiring frontier from day one, and i bet that's a decision that especially with their own release now on the horizon, i bet they (atari) regret today.

You said previous RCT games? Frontier only made RCT3 and the expansions for RCT2 if I am correct?

...i think the biggest mistake was not hiring frontier...
    Not me! Now I get THREE park sims to look forward to!

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Not me! Now I get THREE park sims to look forward to!
    HA! Same... No but I think the competition is good for all the games. Maybe they'll try to out do each other in major fields(Detail, Pricing, Updates, Release Dates, etc)

i said it in another thread and will again here, i think the biggest mistake was not hiring frontier from day one, and i bet that's a decision that especially with their own release now on the horizon, i bet they (atari) regret today.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Atari approached Frontier initially but were turned down because they already had three projects on the go (Elite: Dangerous, Screamride & Tales From Deep Space) at the time Atari were in the market for developers. With Frontier's developers already committed to these as yet unreleased projects, taking on a fourth and meeting Atari's planned early 2015 release date would have been impractical and would have likely delayed their other projects by spreading their developers too thinly.

Once Elite: Dangerous was officially released Frontier was officially a publisher/developer so it makes perfect sense for them to start their own coaster franchise so that they get all the profits rather than with a pre-established franchise like RCT where the royalties are split between Atari, the developer & Chris Sawyer.

If there's one thing Cities: Skylines has taught us, new franchises can be extremely successful and even put the original franchise to shame.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12