Thread: Better Optimised Roller Coaster Tycoon World for PC

Better Optimised Roller Coaster Tycoon World for PC

For those who may not be familiar with,In RCT3 you could build your park to a certain limit,bigger the parks actually get more laggy the game would become and loading times would increase.This would happen to you even if you had a really good PC(By good PC I mean that could run every modern game on Ultra settings).

Now the problems like this really concerns me about our next RCTW. I want to reach that level of biggerness that RCT1&2 offered us.You could actually built a very big park without worrying about lags and even loading times remained absolutely similar.

What are your thoughts on this issue?

Super Moderator
    Volunteer
    I don't see why optimization should be an issue. The devs are still using Unity right? I'm not sure. Everything is so up in the air. Cities Skylines used Unity and it's a very complex game, but yet it still runs smooth. Never played much of RCT3 or 2 for that matter. The original is and will always be the best imo. That being said I still hope RCTW turns out to be a great game!

Quote Originally Posted by OTR24 View Post
    I don't see why optimization should be an issue. The devs are still using Unity right? I'm not sure. Everything is so up in the air. Cities Skylines used Unity and it's a very complex game, but yet it still runs smooth. Never played much of RCT3 or 2 for that matter. The original is and will always be the best imo. That being said I still hope RCTW turns out to be a great game!
    What I meant by that actually is that ,It felt like RCT3 never actually got through much of stress tests and I think most of the performance decreasing bugs were never actually fixed and I hope this is not an issue at launch especially if we are asking for more detailed background. RCT3 didn't got so much patches though and to me it is still a broken game at performance department though.

RCT World will chug your computer to death. It will be very demanding, not only on your graphics card (GPU), but on your CPU and RAM as well.

First, RCT2 (and RCT1) run smoothly as they are 2D games, with 2D animations. All those fancy effects you see in RCT3? Thyey require CPU, but those same fancy effects in RCT2 are simply animations, that don't require and CPU calculation, just simply loading in a different 2D image.

Next, all of the graphics in RCT2 are 2D, which means no difficult GPU calculations like lighting, 3D rendering, texture mapping, reflections, etc that RCT3 has.

RCT3 would have been quite optimised at the time of release (not as well as it should have been, but they fixed that with future patches). But still, there are a huge amount of CPU calculations that games like Cities: Skylines don't have to do, such as coaster movement (and physics) and peep pathing, in addition to the usuals like particles (hopefully Unity 5 has chucked that into the GPU load), animations and other post-fx.

In any case, optimisations will be critical, but the main problem is that you have diminishing returns for the time spent on performing optimisations. At some stage the devs have to decide when graphics and CPU optimisations are good enough for release, and usually they'll include more optimisations in post-release patches.