Thread: RCT 3 Download vs. disk custom

RCT 3 Download vs. disk custom

I am completely new to the RCT world, but my son goes nuts over it, so naturally I have become much more involved and excited as well. Long story short we were dabbling in custom sceneries, structures, etc. and that is where my questions come into play.

1. Do you know if the downloaded version (from Wildtangent) has different files vs. the disk version? It seems like they are different, because when I see file locations in download descriptions, sometimes they are not there.

2. Does this forum have a spot where I can see the different file types and where they should actually go (.bak, .dat files, etc.?

I know these are open ended questions and you may need more information, but anything you guys can bring would help.

Thanks again,

Brandon

Frankly, if you install the files then they should just go to the correct space. If you do want to find .dat files then they should be in Windows (C: )/Users/My documents/RCT3/Parks

This shows all your parks and allows you to put custom scenarios in.
    I'd recommend putting this in the RCT3 section

1 word of caution dont download and install alot all at once,take your time and also some cs rely on other cs in order to work some sites will tell u what u will need.Heres a few site u can use to download from

http://www.customscenerydepot.com/cslist/index.php this is good because u can download by alphabetical order by author,cs,track rides etc
    http://www.customscenerydepot.com/in...tion=downloads (same site just different page that maybe helpful)
    http://www.shyguysworld.com/
    http://rctgo.com/
    thers a few more but this can get u started

(C: )/Users/My documents/RCT3/Coasters will be where u put coaster files,they will be in the b form of .trk
    /Fireworks this is fireworks displays in the form of .fwd
    /Parks these will be where ur downloadable parks go in form of .dat(can be confusing because some scenarios use .dat form as well and look like parks but need to go in the scenarios folder.if a park dont work then try it in the scenarios folder)
    /Structures these will be structures that are in a .dat form
    /Pools this is for downloaded pools and go here and not the pools folder in the main rct3 folder

These go into the main rct3 folder

/Cars... inside this folder is the trackedridecars folder,this is where all of ur downloaded coaster cars go,make sure u have the whole cars folder inside of the car u downloaded
    /Fireworks..this is the downloaded fireworks and not the display will be in form of .frw
    /Music...u can put any music u want in here .mp3,.wav or .wma
    /Particle effects..these are also in form of .frw so if u download fireworks and particle effect do it seperate to not get confused
    /Style this is the main folder for custom scenery and can be the trickiest part.Inside this folder
    u will need to create a Custom folder.Some cs will need to be put in here and most should have a read me.for example some of belgabors
    great works need to be in this folder.For example i have a folder inside the Custom folder, called Belgabor.And inside this folder I have 3 of his mods which have thier own seperate folder as well.So its important to read ALL READ ME's to see if items need to be placed in certain places.
    Also in the /Style folder there will be a folder called Themed,this is where most of the CS will be placed.Each cs should be in thier own folder in here.In each folder will be another folder plus two .ovl files.If these are not in there then u will get either an error message or the mod wont show up in game

and the last folder u will work with is the /tracks...inside this folder will be a Trackedrides folder.This is where u must place the folders for the tracks of the coasters.Most downloads will keep the cars and tracks seperate to make it easier where to put the folders but u can run into instances where they are not and u have to figure what goes where

hope this has helped