Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: RollerCoaster Tycoon World Production Blog #7

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    When I was last at Alton towers I noticed their latest coaster, the smiler, didn't appear to have damping pads. I thought it odd at the time but never thought of it again until I saw this post. Perhaps it's not a requirement just a common feature?
    I've noticed that most Gerstlauer coasters don't have them. I guess this was only a real issue when we were using friction breaks as the primary method to slow trains; there's pretty much no risk of failure when it comes to eddy current breaks. If the laws of physics are working, the breaks will never fail (unless the magnets fall off the bottom of the train).

Junior Enthusiast 0BobTheJanitor's Avatar

I've made some observations showing the model is probably not as high-poly as it looks.
    My main concern though is that lighting glitch in the background.

edit: I'm not complaining, just making some observations on possible what to expect for polygon count. Just because it doesn't have hundreds of thousands of polygons doesn't mean it still isn't fantastically detailed. I'd take this as a final coaster model any day.

I should have been more clear on my part.
    Last edited by 0BobTheJanitor; 05-22-2015 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 0BobTheJanitor View Post

I've made some observations showing the model is probably not as high-poly as it looks.
    Really??? They can go back to the trailer graphics if you'd like...

Quote Originally Posted by 0BobTheJanitor View Post

this is ridiculous. you do realize its a theme park sim, not a realistic rollercoaster sim??

I would wait with your concerns until we have actual gameplay footage.

The biggest problem with that chassis is that it couldn't physically work on anything other than a dead level track! If you look carefully you can see that each bogie can rotate to follow curves in the track (correct) but also each set of two wheels need to be able to pitch back and fourth to keep both wheels in contact with the track as it undulates. BUT while the hinge pin that would allow them to move this way is shown on the model, the two parts that the pin connect in real life are shown as a single piece in the model. It's not just shown as a single part in the render either it 'is' a single part the way they created that model. You can tell by the fillet detail where the two parts that should be separate intersect.

This may not seem important, but it is. As that model is, there is no way it could run on a virtual track without the wheels appearing to rise above/dig into the rails as the car pitches and falls.

Re: the model.

It could be that the model was extracted from the background using Photoshop's lasso polygon tool thus making the edges a bit linear. It would also explain why the anti-aliasing is soo smooth. But, if that's not the case as this truly is a direct image from the engine then I would wonder why the developer simply didn't just lathe that wheel design or just select a pre-set wheel or extruded circle from their 3d modeling program model library.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    The biggest problem with that chassis is that it couldn't physically work on anything other than a dead level track! If you look carefully you can see that each bogie can rotate to follow curves in the track (correct) but also each set of two wheels need to be able to pitch back and fourth to keep both wheels in contact with the track as it undulates. BUT while the hinge pin that would allow them to move this way is shown on the model, the two parts that the pin connect in real life are shown as a single piece in the model. It's not just shown as a single part in the render either it 'is' a single part the way they created that model. You can tell by the fillet detail where the two parts that should be separate intersect.

This may not seem important, but it is. As that model is, there is no way it could run on a virtual track without the wheels appearing to rise above/dig into the rails as the car pitches and falls.
    Can you draw a circle around the object you are describing?

Looks good to me. Definitely better than the crap they showed in the gameplay trailer. I just want to see some new gameplay.

guess no matter what they do someones going to find something wrong,i know myself im going to enjoy building a park and riding or whatever and not looking super close just to see maybe a finite lil drawing error that i wouldnt notice in the first place,if ur looking that close then ur taking away any enjoyment that u might have just playing

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast