Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DEV BLOG 6: Uncut!

Newcomer
    * Big smile *

I just hope Atari understand that the reason you guys bothered to read my (quite long) post was that you're all still engaged with this project! It's true that almost all threads on page one of these boards are pretty negative, yet we're all still here. Just on the off chance Atari get real and drop the PR crap and talk like people that just want to make a good product.

Everything I know about commercial product management tells me this project is likely to fail. There really isn't a single mistake that could have been made that they haven't made. But, these things are never over until they're over. Atari has one last card they could play.

They could stake the Atari name on this game being the best they can do. I don't think they would ever risk that. But it would restore confidence for sure. And think about it, why would they not risk it? Not really a risk unless...

Go bold or go home.

the Atari name is synonymous with repeated failures and huge disasters, with bad decision making and general buffoonery that lead it to being "owned" by so many different people over the years. so why would it matter if they staked the name on this game and failed?

if anything, history has shown us that is exactly what we should expect. The Curse of ET will forever linger over the Atari name.

Quote Originally Posted by syfy2k4 View Post
    the Atari name is synonymous with repeated failures and huge disasters, with bad decision making and general buffoonery that lead it to being "owned" by so many different people over the years. so why would it matter if they staked the name on this game and failed?

if anything, history has shown us that is exactly what we should expect. The Curse of ET will forever linger over the Atari name.
    A game so shocking they hid it!

I get your point that the Atari name isn't the best... But still the guys that own it now will want it to maintain at least the value it had when they bought it. So it would still be quite bold and demonstrate some belief in this project. Can't see it happening though as I don't think this was ever envisaged to be a game 'to be proud of'.

Bravo sir! I believe an award for ethics in journalism is in order.

Quote Originally Posted by iChase View Post
    Bravo sir! I believe an award for ethics in journalism is in order.
    I don't do it for the recognition, I do it because I care

Reading this made me lol. I feel sorry for Mattlab. I'm sure if he had anything positive to show us, he would, instead he's having to try and rescue the public image of this train wreck of a title on his own.

I really hope the next blog proves more fruitful.....

Passive Peep
    Does anyone else find it slightly worrying that despite claiming that the game is still on track to release this year, Atari have recently been asking for feedback for key gameplay elements in the Ideas forum? If a game is truly that far along, core features such as operating hours should pretty much be locked down by now, not still up in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by DMB1985 View Post
    Does anyone else find it slightly worrying that despite claiming that the game is still on track to release this year, Atari have recently been asking for feedback for key gameplay elements in the Ideas forum? If a game is truly that far along, core features such as operating hours should pretty much be locked down by now, not still up in the air.
    Lots of core gameplay features probably could be altered pretty late on actually. That's because most assets are dependant on global rules, not dictators of the rules.

But in the case of opening hours, that would surely need to be a ground up consideration. As would notions such as sticking with grid placement and tiles.

So yes you're right. But also there is currently no reason to believe the game is off the starting blocks at all. The game they appeared to be making seems to be for an audience they underestimated. And now with CPT announced, every original consideration for the investment in RCTW is potentially redundant.

I'm sticking with my theory that nothing concrete can possibly happen with RCTW until Frontier show their hand with CPT. Probably I one months time at E3. If in the mean time Atari are still gathering community feedback, at least that means they're still hoping to make a game that can fight for its right to survive.

The Frintier angle is key to everything right now I think. If Atari's plan was to rely on former RCT loyalty to make this game a success, then the only thing that could undermine that plan is if a former RCT developer announced a new game. Frontier is as synonymous with RCT as Atari, even if the branding has to be different. Anyone that would buy RCTW, would buy CPT.

So ask yourself, why on earth would they be actively building a game or really be aiming for any specific release date until they know how serious the new competition is? I'm not saying I know what they're doing, but commercially, they would be window licking crazy to put their chips on the table before Frontier confirms their intent.

Nice. Gave me a laugh and was actually more interesting to read then the real dev blog

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast