Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Economics & Finances

Super Moderator
    Volunteer

Post Economics & Finances

Real world theme parks have to deal with real world financial issues. I guess what I'm getting at is. I would like building a park in RCTW to be more challenging by having a more realistic business simulation. For scenarios only.

Some examples.

Making Rides more Expensive. Instead of a coaster costing 10k it could cost 100K.
    Also the cost of for maintaining rides and stocking shops should be higher.

Having to pay wages for every staff member including staff at food stalls and ride operators.

Paying for landscaping. The larger the park the more upkeep.

When taking out loans the amount of money we borrow and interest payments should be set higher.
    So say I take out a five year loan for 100k at 10%. I have to pay 1000 a month interest.

Having a credit rating so borrowing money isn't as easy.
    Staying out of debt should be more challenging.

When you start out you should have high interest payments to make it challenging.
    The money you start with you also have to pay interest on.
    This would vary with scenarios.

For a hard scenario our interest could be set at %15 and your credit rating could set at D.
    The money we start with would be set low.

For an easy scenario your credit rating is set at AAA and you have a %5 interest rate.
    The money we start with would be set high.

Bankruptcy. When your park is in debt you should have the option to file for bankruptcy.
    Bankruptcy would slash your debt in half but set your credit rating to F meaning you couldn't borrow money for awhile.
    If our park still fails to make money after we file for bankruptcy your park is liquidated. Game over.

Property Taxes.
    Your park should have to pay property taxes.
    The larger our park the more taxes you pay.

Finally investor money.
    You can draw in money from more than than ride and entrance tickets
    Investor money would work like this.
    The better your park is doing financially and the higher the park rating. The more investor money you draw in. It would start off small but over time it would grow into the thousands. This would help you pay off debt.
    Last edited by magicart87; 07-26-2015 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Update

Actually economics is something that is getting a design update right now. We are taking a close look at all of the charts and feedback systems that players are given to know what is going on in their game. We know what we did previously in the franchise and are trying to vastly raise the bar in terms of amount of feedback you are given and the ease of getting that feedback. Its definitely a work in progress but we even asked members of our finance and accounting teams to give us feedback on what they would want to know if they were running a theme park!

Once we get a little further along we will share for feedback.
    Executive Producer - Atari
    Team RollerCoaster Tycoon World

Quote Originally Posted by OTR24 View Post
    What are some ways we can get peeps to spend their money faster? Ik the idea of hotels has been tossed around from the beginning. For example we have hotel in our park that guest enter in and out of. But they don't actually spend the night there they just get charged every time they go in like a ride. They go in for a minute and come out with energy fully recharged. We could charge a large fee like Idk $70. This way guest would burn through there money faster. It would also allow for peeps to bring thousands of dollars with them instead of less than 100. This would allow us to make millions instead of thousands. This would be more realistic. Think about it... Every second tired peeps would stream in and out of our hotels! We would make huge amounts of money! I touched on this idea before. But I wanted to clarify what I meant.
    I love this hotel idea always wanted to make millions in rct3 and with the more amount of money coming in maybe the attractions and coasters could be more realistically priced too.

One way is a class system for economics - lower, middle, and upper class citizens. How do you attract a certain kind of customer? This could be affected by a great many things, from the size of the park, the rides all the way through to perhaps the most important attribute, the entry fee. Lower class peeps would be easier to attract to cheaper park and easier to impress, but the opposite could be true for upper class. Just one idea, anyway.

The hotel idea is also fantastic, and we wouldn't even need to construct it.

Super Moderator
    Volunteer
    I'm glad the devs are seriously looking at this and will be taking our feed back. Please include bankruptcy. Going into debt is a very real part of the business world. Not all Amusement Parks make money. Some file for bankruptcy to eliminate debt. Ik this may be a turn off for some but remember if you want to build your dream Park that's what sandbox is for. This would make the game more challenging in my opinion. Also a line of credit to borrow money. The better our park does the more money we can borrow. Lower interest rates etc...

Isn't/wasn't bankruptcy already a feature of the game? In many scenarios is a straight Game Over if you go into the red for too long.

Super Moderator
    Volunteer
    Quote Originally Posted by adventurefan View Post
    Isn't/wasn't bankruptcy already a feature of the game? In many scenarios is a straight Game Over if you go into the red for too long.
    Yes you are right I forgot. But it was easy to avoid debt. The game should be more challenging meaning falling into debt is more common. That's why I said we should have the option for bankruptcy to help with debt. Up to a limit though. Like if were a million in debt time to hang it up and restart lol

*Edit what I'm saying is bankruptcy isn't game over. By filing for bankruptcy we could work our way out of debt. It would be a challenge but it would also be very rewarding.
    Last edited by OTR24; 05-14-2015 at 01:58 PM.

OTR24, I love the thought you're putting in to this. It's really nice to see players who are going for realism.

Super Moderator
    Volunteer
    Quote Originally Posted by CedarPointFan View Post
    OTR24, I love the thought you're putting in to this. It's really nice to see players who are going for realism.
    I want it to be simple though. Maybe a tutorial for younger players who don't understand the ins and outs of real world money management.
    It could definitely be used as a educational tool like another person mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by OTR24 View Post
    So back to economics. it seems like people want more realistic pricing when it comes to buildings and flat rides but coasters in particular. My question is. How far would you want the devs to take this? A 25 million dollar coaster would be hard to obtain.

The starting cash would definitely need some tweaking. I'd say at least 10 million. Enough to build a small park with flat rides and shops and one decent rollercoaster. I wouldn't want money farming though. I hate having to sit around and money farm. To me it takes away from the joy of the game. I rather be able to borrow money like the original but make it more complex. Instead of just borrowing money our company would have a credit rating. When we first start off we would be paying interest on the money we start with. Then as we go along and our park becomes profitable we can borrow more money. If my park is doing poorly I won't be able to borrow because my credit rating is too low. if I'm doing well I can borrow money but at a high interest rate. if I'm doing really well I can borrow alot of money at a low interest rate. So like AAA BBB CCC credit ratings. Also refinancing to help me pay off old debt. And bankruptcy so if I'm in debt I still have a way to work my way out of it. However if my park fails to make money even after I declare bankruptcy then it's game over. Basically bankruptcy would be a way to get out of debt but it would also hurt our credit rating.

IMO Money farming sucks. I rather use loans to expand. But I think having a line of credit would make it more balanced so it isn't overpowered. In previous RCT games it was way too easy to borrow money and pay it back.
    I should also add that the way money is displayed should change. So instead of 10 with a buch of zeros. It would display 10000K.
    So using my example if we spent 50k on something it would then display 9950K and so on. So units of 1000 to cut down on the zeroes.
    Last edited by OTR24; 05-26-2015 at 07:32 PM.

Super Moderator
    Volunteer
    My biggest pet-peeve about the games were 10k could build a coaster, where those numbers would be in the millions today.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast