Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coaster Customization Options

Super Moderator
    Volunteer

Coaster Customization Options

Gasp! I leave for 1 week and you guys seem like you've run out of ideas!
    Here are some ideas I have for coaster customization options and also some I read while browsing the forums.

Coaster Customization option 1
    Track style.
    Give the players the option for more then one coaster track.
    In real life wooden coaster tracks and steel coaster tracks vary form one coaster to the next.
    When building a hyper coaster I want the ability to choose what type of hyper coaster track style I want.
    I don't want to be forced to use the default one.
    For example hyper coaster track style 1 2 3...
    Also give players the options to design their own track styles for each coaster.
    That way I can make my own unique coaster track.

Coaster Customization option 2
    Support Style.
    Please add in more realistic supports for coasters but also allow players to have an option.
    I want to be able to choose between different support styles when building a coaster.
    For example a list that allows me to choose a style like...
    Wooden Coaster support style 1 2 and 3.
    And again allow players to mod and make their own supports.

Coaster Customization option 3
    Station Style.
    Please give the players more options when creating ride stations.
    This has already been discussed at length so I'll keep it short.
    Allow us to choose different station models like the original.
    Allow us to bundle scenery objects and queue lines with ride stations.
    This way we can reference it later and place it all down together.
    And finally allow us to mod the stations so we can create our own unique station designs.

Coaster Customization option 4
    Train style.
    Please no more overly themed coaster trains.
    A slight variation from one coaster train design to the next is all that's needed.
    For example. Wooden coaster train design 1 2 3 and so on...
    And also again the ability to mod and make our own coaster train designs.
    If I want the lead car on my coaster train to be shaped like a dragon, I want an option to make that myself.

Super Moderator
    Volunteer
    Well to start, I don't agree with your tracks idea. That doesn't really make sense. I'd like to choose different still rollercoasters, but not different hyper coasters. For example, the reason the lay down rollercoaster only has the one track is because only B&M manufactures them. Looping rollercoasters represented Schwarzkopf. The corkscrew represented Vekoma.

The supports sound good.

Stations really isn't an idea as much as just recommendation. This needs to be put in definitely.

And the trains make sense as well.

B&M is not the only manufacturer to make flying (lay-down) coasters.
    http://rcdb.com/r.htm?na=&nm=na&pl=&de=4&ot=2

Just like there is more than one manufacturer who have made hypercoasters.
    http://rcdb.com/r.htm?na=&nm=na&pl=&order=-21&ot=2

And each manufacturer, although making the same TYPE of coaster, utilize different shapes of track, supports, and trains.
    (Different designs, too. But that's a whole nother can of worms.)
    I agree with OTR24 completely. It makes perfect sense.

But above else, I'd still like to see the design and modeling aspect of the game remain open to user-created data because there may be a new type of coaster coming out next year that we've never even seen before.

Super Moderator
    Volunteer
    I agree with OTR24 completely. It makes perfect sense
    Well ok then. Not really.

You see, he was saying you should just be able to change the track type for each ride. I think a new coaster has to be made. For example a looping rollercoaster and a corkscrew rollercoaster really didn't need two rides. But that's how they did it. Vekoma, for example, uses their Flying Dutchman. These cars face completely opposite B&M. Zamperela's coaster wouldn't even be able to do some of the elements B&M does. I think they may've been called hairpin in previous RCT titles.

As for hyper, people classify them differently. I was referring to Bizarro. It's a hypercoaster. B&M makes a make called a hypercoaster. But, some others classify coasters over (I believe 200 ft.) to be a hypercoaster.

This only makes perfect sense. An engineer isn't going into a project thinking he's doing a children's coaster and come out with elements like a zero g roll.

I don't exactly know why a "I agree with OTR24 completely. It makes perfect sense," is necessary. You can't just change the track type. Certain elements can only be done with certain coasters. Try not to be so bold with your statements.
    Last edited by coaster6; 04-24-2015 at 07:22 PM.

Super Moderator
    Volunteer
    It was just an idea... All steel coasters share similar track designs.
    In the real world coaster tracks usually break down like this.

Steel looping Coasters.
    These coasters can have 3 different track designs.

Hyper coasters
    These coasters have 2 different track designs.

Giga Coasters
    They only have 1 track design(that I know of)

So for certain rollercoasters we have the option for more than one track design but other coasters we don't

Super Moderator
    Volunteer
    I'll be off again for awhile but here's some images of 2 different Looping Steel Coasters
    Notice the different track designs...

Blue Fire.jpg

Lightning Run.jpg

Super Moderator
    Volunteer
    Well Fury 325 is a B&M giga.

Perhaps it would be wise to just refer to coasters as their RCT name. Not everyone knows all the names.

Super Moderator
    Volunteer
    Quote Originally Posted by coaster6 View Post
    Well Fury 325 is a B&M giga.

Perhaps it would be wise to just refer to coasters as their RCT name. Not everyone knows all the names.
    Yea well the option for different track styles for all types of rollercoasters is what I would like.

Whether it's a hyper coaster, Giga coaster, or Looping Coaster I want option for different track styles.

I think in previous games the reason why steel Coasters used different track types was to differentiate between them. I don't see why we can't have the option to just choose the design ourselves.

And yes like your example Fury 325 uses a different track style then other Giga Coasters.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattlab View Post
    We have three main track types: Steel, Wooden, and Hanging. These are your raw materials rather than entire coasters like in the previous games. With those three types of tracks you will be able to create a number of different coasters, as each track type has an enormous amount of varying coaster cars associated with it

OTR's idea fits within what we already know about the new coaster building system.
    If I want a Steel Coaster, I'd like to be able to design the layout, and then choose from the type of track and type of cars that I want.
    Not the other way around like previous RCTs.

Well to start, I don't agree with your tracks idea. That doesn't really make sense.
    For example:
    My coaster is finished. I have a massive, sprawling spline. Now I want to choose the track style. Regardless of height, steepness, number of inversions, etc.
    I choose "hyper style 1" for track style. BOOM! Now my track looks like Bizarro's track at Six Flags New England.
    I choose "hyper style 2". BOOM! Now it's got Diamondback's track from King's Island.
    I choose "Hyper style 3" BOOM! Magnum XL-200.
    I choose "corkscrew style 1" for no reason whatsoever! BOOM! Viper at Magic Mountain.
    ... and so on and so forth.

And the same thing goes for the cars.
    What if I want a floorless Schwarzkopf? Or a LIM-shuttle stand-up? Or a hyper Wingrider? A Dive Machine with a beyond vertical drop?
    This is what I took from OTR's idea. And I agree with it completely.
    ... Remind me again how this would be a bad thing?

An engineer isn't going into a project thinking he's doing a children's coaster and come out with elements like a zero g roll. Certain elements can only be done with certain coasters.
    You're absolutely right. That would never happen in the real world.
    But if I'm "creating the park of my dreams" why should I not be able to put inversions on a kiddie coaster? Even if I wanted to?
    I'm merely saying that, for the sake of the game, it shouldn't be impossible to do. Not even No Limits Coaster is that restricting.

Take for example, the wooden coaster. Just a few years ago it was "impossible" for a wooden coaster to have an inversion. And today, with wooden coasters like Outlaw Run, Iron Rattler, New Texas Giant, etc. we are seeing wooden coasters that are steeper than most steel coasters, and can perform elements and inversions that have never been seen before, even on steel coasters.

Over a decade ago, a vertical drop was considered "impossible". Then we had coasters like Oblivion at Alton Towers, and Gravity Max featuring vertical drops. Now today, we have coasters like Saw: The Ride, Fahrenheit, and Steel Hawg going BEYOND vertical.

So just because something doesn't exist, or doesn't exist yet, is no reason not to make it a possibility within the game in my opinion.
    Realism has it's place in certain aspects of the game, but not where it would hinder the players' creativity.
    I am ALL FOR giving the players the ability to create ANY kind of coaster they can imagine.

Vekoma, for example, uses their Flying Dutchman. These cars face completely opposite B&M.
    You make a good observation.
    That's why I'd like to propose that, because of the differing loading and unloading procedures, they link the Vekoma Flying Dutchman cars with Steel Coasters and link the B&M Flying cars with Hanging Coasters.

And while we're on the topic of customization: Isn't it about time we lose the "20-something color palette" for a full color template?

Try not to be so bold with your statements.
    Well excuse my boldness but kiss my grapes.
    Last edited by The Stig; 04-24-2015 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post

So just because something doesn't exist, or doesn't exist yet, is no reason not to make it a possibility within the game in my opinion.
    Realism has it's place in certain aspects of the game, but not where it would hinder the players' creativity.
    Agree. I thought the concept art we saw of themed coaster trains was great. I know it's not 100% realistic, but I think that strong theming gemerally speaking adds to the game, not subtracts. This is especially true if you give us great Steam Workshop support so people can make their own hyper-realistic cars/tracks/scenery etc. It's much easier for users to make realistic items than crazy themed ones, since generally something realistic is going to have less polygons and be much simpler to design.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast