Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Importing Old Tracks

Importing Old Tracks

A feature I absolutely enjoyed with every succession up to this point was the ability to import old tracks from previous installments of RTC. I hope that this feature makes another return in an already seemingly promising game.

me too. i really want this

I doubt this will be implemented. The old method of track building won't translate at all to the new spline-based method. Perhaps it might be looked at as DLC at a later phase, but I'd not expect it for launch.

Won't happen, would take far too much time to encode. Plus I don't know if there's much demand for that, I never really used that feature in previous games from RCT.

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyUK View Post
    I doubt this will be implemented. The old method of track building won't translate at all to the new spline-based method. Perhaps it might be looked at as DLC at a later phase, but I'd not expect it for launch.
    That's not true considering it was said the track builder will also have set pieces like RCT3.

Quote Originally Posted by AUS_Twisted View Post
    That's not true considering it was said the track builder will also have set pieces like RCT3.
    Set pieces doesn't mean it can understand the track layout objects of previous generation games. Set Pieces on a spline based system will simply be that the developers have pre-coded spline objects for you to pick and add to your layout quicker.

Just because you don't use a feature that often, if at all, doesn't mean it's not in high demand or represent the majority. Furthermore I strongly feel there's still enough reason for one to hope it's reintroduced since the feature's been in every single new game since the origial. GRANTED they've got a new coaster building system in place, however. They did indeed say that they will still retain pre-built tracks to cater to those who prefer the old method or Just generally prefer to use that method. That gives me the impression that they're considering a lot of possibilities for a more powerful flexible game to appeal to a broader audience and bring in new players while also trying not to alienate veterans. Point being there's enough reason to suggest the return of this feature. Even if it's not, I would probably still buy it, but it would be a nice cherry on top if it was added once more.

I wouldn't read into anything at this stage - we simply don't know anything. I certainly didn't get the same impression you did - it simply told me that you could make a complete mess of designing tracks with a spline system, so set pieces will help speed up your building while you learn.

I've bought every RCT game, from when it launched, and I must say I am the same as Carl here - I just didn't use that feature, but maybe it will feature as an option. I'd expect it more as an after-launch update however, which Mattlab has hinted some features will be provided in such manner.

While the feature was offered before, many previous track designs weren't able to be imported into RCT3. I had a good dozen of Steve Franks historical tracks he made in RCT2 that RCT3 said couldn't be replicated because some track segments weren't the same.

Not to say that it wouldn't be nice if offered in the new game, just pointing out that it didn't always work before.

Quote Originally Posted by Wabigbear View Post
    While the feature was offered before, many previous track designs weren't able to be imported into RCT3. I had a good dozen of Steve Franks historical tracks he made in RCT2 that RCT3 said couldn't be replicated because some track segments weren't the same.

Not to say that it wouldn't be nice if offered in the new game, just pointing out that it didn't always work before.
    I was aware that a lot of tracks couldn't be imported. But most if not all tracks that you couldn't import successfully were a lot of the special coaster tracks introduced in RCT2 Time Twister Expansion Pack. If the coaster type was available in RCT3, you could import any of the tracks created in the previous first two games, provided the file wasn't corrupted. Personally, that's never happened to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast