Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Updates on RollerCoaster Tycoon World

I'm excited but still skeptical until I see more videos or pictures to tease the actual features. If Area 52 has people that used to work on the SIM's it would be great to see customizable peeps to create your own family to stroll around the parks you create.

I trust you enough to make this game the best it can be. Area 52, well, I can't say I've heard of them; but I'm sure they're qualified.

Does this mean that Pipeworks is finished and Area 52 is solely the developing programmers now? Or there more to the story?

I don't trust this at all. Pipeworks was involved in the RCT community over the last several months and now...suddenly...they've removed any trace of RCTW from their website and social media. Something off here. I don't like how there continues to be a huge focus on online gaming. I'd certainly hope that Area 52 and Atari have learned from others (i.e. SimCity) that you can't force people to play a certain way. I know, I know...there's a single player component. But when you tout that Area 52 specializes in online gaming, I don't get warm and fuzzies. I get big ol' concerns. I was excited for this title up until this most recent change. I have great reservations and will wait until you (Atari/Area 52) can prove to me that this game is worth my money.

Agree with you on that, Masked. It's sort of odd that they parted ways like that. Hope some good comes out of it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Seandroid View Post
    I think it's a little strange that the development team is changing. I thought it was just a result of development phases, but Pipeworks appears to have removed every mention of RCTW from their Facebook page.

Either way, Area 52 is a studio with an awful lot of excellent games behind them.
    It could be that Pipeworks finished its part, and that its not being given to Area52 perhaps for the multiplayer?

Quote Originally Posted by mb1.0.2 View Post
    I don't trust this at all. Pipeworks was involved in the RCT community over the last several months and now...suddenly...they've removed any trace of RCTW from their website and social media. Something off here. I don't like how there continues to be a huge focus on online gaming. I'd certainly hope that Area 52 and Atari have learned from others (i.e. SimCity) that you can't force people to play a certain way. I know, I know...there's a single player component. But when you tout that Area 52 specializes in online gaming, I don't get warm and fuzzies. I get big ol' concerns. I was excited for this title up until this most recent change. I have great reservations and will wait until you (Atari/Area 52) can prove to me that this game is worth my money.
    The dropping of companies seems all to terribly familiar (ie. When EA dropped Quicklime[NFS creators]). At least with EA, they gave some sort of a reason behind it. All we've received from the transfer is that Area52 is great at making online games, which doesn't really seem to make any reason why a primarily-non online game like RCT would profit from it.

Just to re-touch on the whole company switching business:
    As a developer myself [for games / mods for other games] who has created multi-million download content, team switching is one of the fastest ways to run everything into the ground. I'm speaking from experience on that one with one of my very popular projects. When a team switches, the new team doesn't necessarily have the same mindset, end goals and design concepts that the original had. They also may not understand the inner workings nearly as much as the recent team, causing it to turn into a completely different product. The problem with RCTW is, people were starting to be very happy with the product that Pipeworks was showing to the community and how they were involved. With that likely being thrown away, it doesn't look entirely promising for the future of this game.

Passive Peep
    I think that there is something more behind the developer-changes, because Pipeworks deleted everything rct-related from their sites.

Passive Peep
    Quote Originally Posted by davadude View Post
    It could be that Pipeworks finished its part, and that its not being given to Area52 perhaps for the multiplayer?
    If that was the case, they wouldn't delete all mentions in regards of the RCT and Pipeworks would have been listed on the official site as well.

There was a point in RCT3 on the forums were a multiplayer work around was utilized. One person would start in a massive park, a section theme it out, then pass the file to the next person, who would work on the 2nd section, and when done pass it to a third. These were few, though, and many seemed to die from lack of continued enthusiasm. (You might do your section in a week and wait for the next person to take 2 months to do theirs. It could be a long time before a park was finished.)

RCT is really IMO not as collaborative as some are thinking. As designers or parks we tend to like to develop our visions alone, then share. And we do take delight in visiting other parks, and want to ride coasters that seem fantastic.

Mobile play, on our tablets and phones could be interesting. Sharing could be interesting, and 10 years after the last release, better implemented then before. But group play I would think should not be he focus of development, nor the issue over which studio's credentials are paramount. Many people site the Sim City release of last year, and there, with trading of resources, that had a little more validity for group game play.

Pipeworks released some very impressive game art, I hope that we shall see Area 52 release as impressive or more so, soon.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast