Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: It's GDC week !!!

Well if that's the case then, I suspect we'll get our usual Friday dev blog.

Quote Originally Posted by alzo93 View Post
    Well if that's the case then, I suspect we'll get our usual Friday dev blog.
    Don't bank on it

Junior Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Epic Wink View Post
    Correct. But, again as in another thread, a bit snarky.

But yeah, follow pretty much any crappy indie release on Steam and this website will look like a gift from the heavens
    Well I thought it was a casual joke tone (I think you might now have a bias towards the tone of my posts), but why are you only calling out my "snarky" posts? That one wasn't nearly as bad as what some of these folks have said. Did you read the post I quoted? I only make them in response to people who are regularly "snarky" and I'm sick of seeing it. I'm a very honest person, it translates online, they should just be grateful they don't know me IRL. I'll call out BS any day of the week. If you sound like a child, you should be aware at least one person interprets it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by darkhorizon View Post
    I'm not doubting you (so don't take my post as such), but could you give us some examples? I really am curious as to what games have had worse communication than this.
    Well I didn't know much about it till I came here but apparently Rockstar and GTAV had a pretty horrible falling out where there was silence for years. Another example that comes to mind is Dragon Age Inquisition. For 3 or 4 years all we knew is a new Dragon Age, which everyone thought was called Dragon Age 3, is coming out. People were constantly asking questions or simply requesting reassurance it wasn't another Dragon Age 2. The same with Witcher 3, we knew hardly anything about it for awhile, then they suddenly exploded with tons of information. Then there was Atilla: Total War as most people didn't even know about it till a few months before release, then they said very, very little other than "it has stuff that wasn't in Rome 2." You could also look at Rome 2: Total War, which was a disaster upon release and nobody heard anything from CA after, almost like they went into hiding. A few patches came here and there, but no word otherwise. Then you have the other end, with people like Bungie, who purposely keep their lips sealed to build up hype, and even though people know this, fans still rage on the forums because they don't get what they want. So there you have several major AAA developers who have more than enough money to hire marketing upon a game's announcement and only dripped information over years. Those came to mind in about a minute, I'm sure I could think of more if I tried.

It's funny cause I'm actually grateful for updates every 5 days or even 3 weeks. Guess that makes me crazy or something. Oh well, I like being crazy.

Atari / Area 52 promised more than they delivered, thats the big issue here.
    I find it most disturbing that the so called community manager who was introduced with big fireworks has never ever posted a single reply here on this forum.
    Secondly I'm surprised Mattlab continiously told us Atari was preparing for GDC, while they are not on the exhibition list. It's true they could appear somewhere else on GDC and that we all get surprised somehow, I surely hope that is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraCheese View Post
    Atari / Area 52 promised more than they delivered, thats the big issue here.
    I find it most disturbing that the so called community manager who was introduced with big fireworks has never ever posted a single reply here on this forum.
    Secondly I'm surprised Mattlab continiously told us Atari was preparing for GDC, while they are not on the exhibition list. It's true they could appear somewhere else on GDC and that we all get surprised somehow, I surely hope that is the case.
    LOL I just noticed that the community manager fell off the earth. Anyway I'm hoping for the best too!

community manager here has to be either the best job in the world .. (ie get paid to do nothing), or the worst job in the world, (ie its so bad people seem to leave after only a few days on the job) I wonder which one it is.

Passive Peep
    Quote Originally Posted by alzo93 View Post
    We'll find out today if they're included in the Valve presentation. It's at 3pm. My understanding is that Valve will be focusing on their new technology, namely their new VR headset. Matt said in a thread somewhere that the team have looked into VR compatibility with this game so, they may use RCTW as a demo for their new tech?

In fact, this is what he said exactly: 'Our dev team as well as Atari are incredibly interested in VR technology That's all I can say for now.'

Link to thread: https://forum.rollercoastertycoon.co...-Compatibility (9th post down)

3pm came and went. There was nothing about RCTW.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    community manager here has to be either the best job in the world .. (ie get paid to do nothing), or the worst job in the world, (ie its so bad people seem to leave after only a few days on the job) I wonder which one it is.
    Haha yep or its the worst job, they have to work so much that they don't find the time to manage the community.

What people seem to forget is that you don't have to be an exhibitor at GDC to put out a press release or something similar.

Exhibiting is expensive, and Atari likely does not have the funds to do so (they can't even afford proper Internet for their community managers it seems). They can however just put out a statement while the media and such are focused on the gaming industry because of GDC so you don't have to dump money into getting a stand at the conference but you still get some attention your way. That is what I think Atari will be doing ( dev blog on Friday + steam page + press release ).

Quote Originally Posted by larrsie View Post
    What people seem to forget is that you don't have to be an exhibitor at GDC to put out a press release or something similar.

Exhibiting is expensive, and Atari likely does not have the funds to do so (they can't even afford proper Internet for their community managers it seems). They can however just put out a statement while the media and such are focused on the gaming industry because of GDC so you don't have to dump money into getting a stand at the conference but you still get some attention your way. That is what I think Atari will be doing ( dev blog on Friday + steam page + press release ).
    Matt said somewhere they were attending GDC.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123