Thread: Will RCTW be a strategy game?

Lightbulb Will RCTW be a strategy game?

I've always loved the creative tools of RCT3, which allow you to create the park of your dreams! As long as you dream in grid tiles, that is!

Still, my only issue is that once I have built a park, I have never felt encouraged to "play" it. Because the game's economy is so simple, it means that pretty much any park I build in sandbox mode will be just as possible to build in a custom scenario (with cash limits) too. What this means is that sandbox mode doesn't feel special, as having unlimited cash does not feel rewarding when it is so easy to make money in the standard game modes.

As a side project, I attempted to make some custom scenarios for RCT3 that are "strategic levels". I hope to release these soon, but in the mean time here's some stats about them:

**These may change as I develop the scenario**
    1. You cannot simply rush-build your park, you must start with a small area and buy land as you go along. (An obvious one)
    2. "Guests want to use pools" is not selected, as pools are usually extreme money makers.
    3. EVERYTHING MUST BE RESEARCHED. Exceptions:
    +Facilities (toilets, atms, kiosks)
    +A couple of trees and flowers
    +Asphalt path
    +Glass structures
    +Basic benches, lights and bins
    I would have liked it if food had different levels of "quality". Then I could have made burgers appear at the start of the level, while a pizza place would have to be researched later on (presuming that pizzas were higher quality). Instead, none of the shops are available at the start, because there is no quality level.
    4. Guest generation rate will be much lower than 100% so that you need a decent park before people appear (I am currently testing it at 30%).
    5. Because of the above, investments in marketing will actually be necessary.
    6. The park will have a park entrance fee that can be modified, but all rides will be free.
    7. Income should be so low that the main objective of the levels is to rely on challenges throughout the game for investment. For example, selling so many balloons for a local company will earn you a huge amount of money to be spent on expanding your park. This means that you have to favors for others instead of always relying on peep's incomes.

If you have any more suggestions, please state so! I will try to do a strategy level for each theme so that you can have fun with each one!

I just like making parks. IMHO no tycoon games give you a sense of accomplishment for the economy and are all easy when it comes to that stuff.

Theme Park World to me was challenging, and it had a lot of features that this new one advertises including:
    Node track editor
    3D graphics
    4 themes
    Restaurants

But what made it challenging was the setup of the economy. I made a thread about it somewhere, but once thing about this game was that you had to sometimes rely on challenges to get money. Theme Park Inc in particular had a very deep campaign with challenges, missions, and park projects that included draining lakes to expand the park, that required research and hiring specific staff like excavators and engineers.

Speaking of restaurants I hope they include restaurant scenery, I would rather design my own restaurant depending on the local I want to put it down.

Part of what made the previous RCT games so great was that they were "simulation / strategy" games and we are targeting RCTW to be the same. We want a fantastic sim but at the same time there will be aspects of strategy placed in making up the secret sauce that is RCT.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattlab View Post
    Part of what made the previous RCT games so great was that they were "simulation / strategy" games and we are targeting RCTW to be the same. We want a fantastic sim but at the same time there will be aspects of strategy placed in making up the secret sauce that is RCT.
    Thankyou for reading our posts! As long as the sandbox mode of the game gives as much freedom as RCT3's did, this game will be the best! However, I just wish that the non-sandbox levels could hold up! I might do a thread on how I think the economy could work.