View Poll Results: Is bonus content a good idea for pre-orders?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

33 34.02%
  • No

50 51.55%
  • Doesn't matter to me

14 14.43%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bonus Content for Pre Orders

Passive Peep
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePhoenix911 View Post
    Overall, I believe pre-order bonuses are a great means of securing more orders from the get-go, and gives an overall estimate on the success of the launch before it takes place. Whether it be a special attraction or two, a separate theme type, different scenarios...all of these are small things that IMO don't compromise the base game too unfairly for those that are unable to make the pre-order deadline. However to say someone missed the pre-order time, typically there are months in which pre-orders can be made...if you missed it, then you weren't paying enough attention to the game development anyways, so you probably won't notice what you aren't getting regardless....
    I agree, as long as they have enough pre-order copys available for everyone who wants one then I'm ok with something small being added as bonus content.

For example, FIFA preorders get a couple free FUT Gold Packs. I dont see anything wrong with that.

It alls comes down to it being a marketing strategy, and to be honest its a pretty darn good one
    Last edited by ncutt010; 01-21-2015 at 12:45 AM.

I like the idea of a pre-order bonus. It helps the game create revenue and marketing.

This a great discussion thread as we are currently in meetings talking about Pre Sales and what a pre order will look like.

Keep sharing your thoughts!
    -Dre

I recommend launching Steam Early access with a little bit of bonus content. Consider little has been given so far, I can't really say what those should be, but possible examples as I already mentioned, special buildings, attractions and themes otherwise not available as good..or new scenario. Depending on if you guys have things that cost in-game currency that you would consider premium currency, maybe include some funds for pre-orders above what is offered at start.

Using Steam Early access allows input in place of a beta, secures orders as a pre-order would, and you have backing of the Steam community.

As someone who waits for plenty of reviews before buying (remember SimCity 2013?), I'm not a big fan of pre-order bonuses, especially if it's for content that is otherwise unavailable to anyone else.
    Last edited by Bellri; 01-22-2015 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhoenix911 View Post
    I recommend launching Steam Early access with a little bit of bonus content. Consider little has been given so far, I can't really say what those should be, but possible examples as I already mentioned, special buildings, attractions and themes otherwise not available as good..or new scenario. Depending on if you guys have things that cost in-game currency that you would consider premium currency, maybe include some funds for pre-orders above what is offered at start.

Using Steam Early access allows input in place of a beta, secures orders as a pre-order would, and you have backing of the Steam community.
    no. no premium currency. this should be a full price game with no micro transactions.

I didn't mean it in the sense of micro-transactions. I am completely against micro-transactions in the sense of mobile gaming and premium currency.

When I mentioned that, I meant as in the fact the original RCT 1/2 had in game currency that came from the park's income and sales. I can't speak for 3 because I never played it; always found it too cartoon-y. Again, since a full set of features hasn't been announced, I was alluding to a possibility of maybe there are quests that can be accomplished that provide a 'premium' currency or ride 'R&D Fund' that would be separate from the general money you earn in game. Just a random idea based on an idea that has not been mentioned, but IF they did have something along those lines, providing a bonus in-game currency amount, similiar to what Grand Theft Auto V PC pre-orders are doing (currently offering $1m in-game currency, $500k local game, $500k in GTA Online).

Passive Peep
    OK guys so lets get one thing straight. Game companies (included Atari) want as many customers possible to pre-order. Without bonus-content theres no reason to pre-order this game. When released most people will download it from steam rather than buy a hard copy so there will be enough for every one to buy (or at least download) on day 1.

If you cant pre-order due to financial issues, or if u afraid to pre-order because ur waiting for reviews then it sounds like a personal issue to me. Remember you can always cancel your preorder.

I'm not for or against bonus content. Im just saying if they offer bonus content I will most likely pre-order the game. If they don't then there's no incentive and I will not pre-order it.

Here are some bonus content ideas that wont make or break the game if you if you dont pre-order:
    • Be a part of the ALPHA test team. (you will get great feedback since you'll most likely be getting the real rct fans)
    • Early Access to the game
    • Extra Scenario
    • Extra Flat Ride
    • Extra Coaster

Quote Originally Posted by ncutt010 View Post
    OK guys so lets get one thing straight. Game companies (included Atari) want as many customers possible to pre-order. Without bonus-content theres no reason to pre-order this game. When released most people will download it from steam rather than buy a hard copy so there will be enough for every one to buy (or at least download) on day 1.

If you cant pre-order due to financial issues, or if u afraid to pre-order because ur waiting for reviews then it sounds like a personal issue to me. Remember you can always cancel your preorder.

I'm not for or against bonus content. Im just saying if they offer bonus content I will most likely pre-order the game. If they don't then there's no incentive and I will not pre-order it.

Here are some bonus content ideas that wont make or break the game if you if you dont pre-order:
    • Be a part of the ALPHA test team. (you will get great feedback since you'll most likely be getting the real rct fans)
    • Early Access to the game
    • Extra Scenario
    • Extra Flat Ride
    • Extra Coaster
    adding extra content that nobody else can get is a terrible idea. could you imagine what it would have done to the game if the extended coaster from rct3 was a pre order exclusive? how many people would have been playing the game today? the problem with pre order content is that it leaves out everyone else who waits. pre order content should NOT be a driving force in why you buy a game but ONLY the content the game will have at launch. now MAYBE if they allowed those who buy the game later to maybe buy these pre order bonuses i would be okay with it. the only acceptable pre order bonuses to me are extra art work, a nicer game case or a guide book etc. not extra content for the game.

A large number of people are going to pre-order this title no matter what, as can be seen in the large number of posts stating that RCT:w is "amazing" based on little but wishful thinking.

Word of mouth about the beta and additional information whenever it trickles out of Atari will likely be more of a deciding factor for the rest than having something special dangled in front of us.

That being said, RCT3 included "three professionally designed coasters that were created exclusively for the game" as downloads for those who pre-booked it, so there is precedent, as well as a playable demo download that was released two months before the the game itself came out.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast