Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atari Box

Atari Box

rumors claim atari is going to release a new console... how is that even possible? atari doesnt even make games anymore lol https://www.google.com/search?q=ATAR...RI+BOX&tbm=nws

You can slap a corporate logo on just about anything but that doesn't mean that the corporation in question actually had anything to do with making it.

And in some cases it's probably better that they DON'T actually have anything to do with making it...

Quote Originally Posted by Wabigbear View Post
    You can slap a corporate logo on just about anything but that doesn't mean that the corporation in question actually had anything to do with making it.
    you mean like being a distributor? I think atari is more than just a "corporate title" that was slapped on to this new console they are marketing... did you read the article?

in some cases it's probably better that they DON'T actually have anything to do with making it...
    sure sure, its good for a console maker to not make games.... that makes total sense o.O
    Last edited by breezerHOG; 07-13-2017 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by breezerHOG View Post
    you mean like being a distributor? I think atari is more than just a "corporate title" that was slapped on to this new console they are marketing... did you read the article?
    Yes I read the article and others. Still doesn't mean that Atari itself is doing anything more than licensing it's name and logo along with some games to a third party, especially with the financial straits it finds itself under. They didn't even have the money to properly develop RCTw, I'm not convinced that they themselves have the money needed to develop this console alone either. Atari's also known to twist the facts with the PR hype they put out. Could they actually be creating this console themselves in-house? Sure, anything is possible, but based just on past performance the last few years who knows?

sure sure, its good for a console maker to not make games.... that makes total sense o.O
    Based on how well they have done with recent games, including the absolute mess they did with RCTw, it's certain my opinion that it would be probably better if they DO just license their name, logo and older games to someone else - less chance of Atari screwing things up, yet once again. The less hands-on Atari is the better it seems. The current Atari has basically nothing to do with the old Atari, so they have little to no expertise with consoles anyways. Even then, if they farm it out to the cheapest bidder like they did with the games who knows what this console will be like? Hopefully they didn't, and if this is being done in-house that they hired capable people...but this IS Atari we're talking about here.

Unless this "retro" console is similar to the Classic NES than no new modern console will survive without first party support

Quote Originally Posted by breezerHOG View Post
    Unless this "retro" console is similar to the Classic NES than no new modern console will survive without first party support
    Yeah, I'd agree with you, hard to know what's happening, but it wasn't all that long ago - 2013 I believe - that Atari, Inc. only had 11 actual employees. That number has likely increased since that was shortly after a bankruptcy, I'm not sure how many currently work for whatever division would oversee a console...

It's funny because it seems like you two are arguing but it looks like you're arguing the same point.

Quote Originally Posted by loquacious706 View Post
    It's funny because it seems like you two are arguing but it looks like you're arguing the same point.
    LOL! Oh, I really didn't think we were arguing at all, just yakking about this thing. Then after your post I re-read the thread, maybe it sounded that way a little but we really weren't. I think it's more that posts on these forums usually DO lead to arguing or expressing our frustrations, so easy to get that slant on everything!

I really didn't think we were arguing at all
    I did! lol jk

Interesting titbit in yesterday's Eurogamer article:

UPDATE 3.30pm: Since we reported on this story more details have come to light via a French note to investors issued at the end of last month. This note indicates the new Ataribox is to be crowdfunded, a detail which was left out of today's press release.

“To limit risk taking, this product will initially be launched within the framework of a crowdfunding campaign,” the note reads.
    So it seems Atari want to try and emulate the success of the NES (and now SNES) mini but they're not prepared to risk any of their own money doing it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast