Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to save the RCT Franchise

How to save the RCT Franchise

Dear Atari,

Please consider making an official sequel to RCTClassic. Please ditch the RCT4Mobile/RCTTouch games, and please make a new RCT game that plays more like the same as RCTClassic or RCT3, but with actual improvements similar to Parkitect. RCT still has a fanbase and it would be profitable for Atari to continue the RCTClassic legacy in a way that actually pleases fans, by sticking to its roots. Your recent releases in the RCT Franchise have clearly upset your fans, and it might be a good idea to regain out trust.

A sequel to RCT Classic (lets just call it RCTAdvanced for simplicity) could work as an expansion or as a standalone game. Though, I think a standalone game would probably be better. One of the nice things about RCTClassic is how easy you can transfer save files between the mobile version and the original PC version. That is so amazing!! If you make a new RCT game, please consider making 2 versions, one on PC and one on Mobile, with the ability to access our saves on both versions (just like with RCTClassic). It might even bring a smile to fans faces if RCTClassic saves could be loaded into RCTAdvanced, because its a feature that is true to the series roots.

There are many features you could add to the RCT Classic gameplay, its not about the graphics but the flexibility and diversity that makes RCTClassic a great game! You could give RCTAdvanced a slight graphical enhancement, maybe equal to that of RCT3, but please don't fill it up with cheesey tutorial guides or overly simplified unlocks. Players who enjoy RCTClassic want more of the same, we want more scenarios with more challenges. Don't over do it, don't think too big here, it doesn't need to be that complicated

If you're going to make an RCT game with the RCT title, you have to understand what makes RCT great. And the answer is the puzzles. Even Chris Sawyer himself has said the scenarios in RCT1 are better than the scenarios in RCT2, and thats because the level design in RCT1 was more puzzle based. Just watch some videos of people playing RCT1, some people play sandbox mode and try to make realistic stuff, but in scenario mode its all about beating the objectives in a certain amount of time. You could release a game with 30 levels, but if only 5 of them are actually engaging you just wasted a lot of time. It is important that each scenario has interesting objectives and is not just about slapping objects down into place. The size of the park should be important, limited space creates a puzzle for players, and every square piece of land you move in RCT mattered to your overall outcome. This is missing in newer games because developers want everything to be simple.

If people prefer sandbox mode, then they play differently than those who prefer scenarios. So it is important to get both aspects of the RCT game just right. But sandbox mode is easy, just give players more options, more rides, more customizations, more everything. Look at RCT3, it lasted for so long because of HOW MUCH stuff it had. Nobody could touch RCT3 in terms of content for 12 years. You already have RCTClassic... JUST BUILD UPON THAT and add more stuff!! Like fireworks, underwater rides, performance shows, and more

If you are a fan of RCT then you probably have heard of OpenRCT2 (if not go check it out) OpenRCT2 is a fan-made mod that allows for co-op multiplayer so that friends can play and enjoy RCT together online, while building in the same park. Such a feature would be amazing to have in RCT Classic and/or RCTAdvanced!

Please Atari, this is the only way to regain your fans trust. If you make a sequel to RCTClassic and you do it right, it could be a game that actually stands on its own two feet without being compared to the competition, well you might get compared to Parkitect, but thats not a high hurdle IMO... Please look at Parkitect and the current state of RCT and go back to your roots. Enhance the RCTClassic and give us something we can sink our teeth into, or you might never get us back.

If Only Chris Sawyer was on Team PlanetCoaster

Signed, a true RCT fan!
    Last edited by breezerHOG; 06-27-2017 at 09:46 PM.

I have been quiet on here recently but still lurking away (ignore my profile info I am no longer a mod) as a long time fan of the games. My first experience was of Forest Frontiers released as a demo on a magazine cover disc and I was instantly hooked!
    Everything said above by breezerHOG is exactly right! Whilst RCTW is still sitting with potential it would require a significant investment to bring it up to the standard an RCT game deserves.
    With the license for the name having been renewed it would be an ideal time to take stock and relaunch the brand.
    The theme park sim genre is more active than ever with PC, Parkitect and RCTW and there is absolutely NO reason that 3 games in the genre could not co exist provided they all offer something different but of substance.
    With RCTW it felt a few times as if the direction for the game was unclear, particularly after the departure on Mattlab (did the game ever get a new producer and if so who as it was never announced) when they added a scenario editor which then vanished then completely reworked the campaign mode to be scenario based but with the first 6 scenarios being a tutorial. With the first game the exploration and finding what worked and how to Do things was part of the charm and entertainment rather than having our hands held.
    A cross platform game would be amazing - I can work on the game at home on my laptop then continue it on my lunch break at work using my tablet - that in itself would give a new RCT game a USP!
    Atari I say that now is the time for action while we are still poking our heads about, not in 6, 12 or 18 months time when even those few of us here have moved on.
    Even bring some of us on board EARLY to get opinions and ideas, bounce your ideas off us and make a game truly by the fans, for the fans. If I have learned anything over the past 14 months it is that this community is extremely passionate, both about the games and the content, and are full of ideas.
    I would be willing to continue the help i have already given during the development cycle of RCTW, which seems to be, unfortunately, complete, and know of a small number of others who would also be willing if this was something which you decided to do.

I won't touch another Rollercoaster Tycoon game that is connected to Atari. Want to save the RCT franchise, take it out of Atari's hands.

Atari needs to understand two truths: 1) It takes more than a NAME to sell a product. 2) Fans make the franchise.

The RCT Franchise can begin the process of becoming stable if Atari can admit fault in how they handled the RollerCoaster Tycoon World game development and it's community. From there it's a matter of the community accepting them back into the fold. For now, RCT is dead.

Atari: A renewed license doesn't make a renewed interest in RCT. Fix the Game. Fix the Community. Fix the Franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by magicart87 View Post
    Atari needs to understand two truths: 1) It takes more than a NAME to sell a product. 2) Fans make the franchise.

The RCT Franchise can begin the process of becoming stable if Atari can admit fault in how they handled the RollerCoaster Tycoon World game development and it's community. From there it's a matter of the community accepting them back into the fold. For now, RCT is dead.

Atari: A renewed license doesn't make a renewed interest in RCT. Fix the Game. Fix the Community. Fix the Franchise.
    Magicart is spot on!

Quote Originally Posted by magicart87 View Post

Well, fans need to be able to influence how the game is being developed, but not that much. There would not be any surpises and greatly overthought features, instead. Also, Chris Sawyer made RCT 1, 2 and add-ons without community integration. Of couse he knew what fans loved, because of Transport Tycoon, but so does Atari.

There is a gap in the market for an old-style isometric sequel, especially one which could sync between PC/Mobile platforms but the only way it could work is if Chris Sawyer/Origin8 are in complete control.

It's not like they had any input or even financially supported RCT Classic, Chris Sawyer financed it off his own back. Atari's contribution basically came down to sticking it on iTunes/Google Play and happily taking a royalty per unit for the privilege. They were able to do this because their license gives them exclusive publishing rights.

RCT Classic was a boon for them, free money. They'd be fools not to try and repeat it and this could potentially explain the recent extension to their license with Chris Sawyer, maybe they're planning on using their free money to finance an isometric sequel authored by Chris Sawyer/Origin8.

Chris Sawyer being directly involved is the only thing which could potentially repair the brand name at this point.

Passive Peep
    (...) and (...)

All of the above was said before, sadly, there is not interest from Atari nor NVIZZIO in this game anymore. There was never any. All they wanted was to grab a quick dollar, to make more then they had on the table, mission accomplished, nothing to see anymore.

Proof is right above.

Yep. Everything that needs to be said has been said one way or another on this forum. And that in itself is part of the problem. The RCT Forum is where our feedback goes to die. Want a response from Atari beyond a "bot" directing you to a useless support page? Don't waste words on a forum no one reads. Send it to the man himself, the CEO of Atari! #FeedbackForFred

Send your feedback to: [email protected]

(if this is against forum policy I ask that a moderator please remove it. Thank you.)

^

Hm, maybe I should let him know how much I relish the fact that their mobile cash cow is getting more love than a game that could have put them back on the map. WHAT. A. SHAME. "We care about the fans and RCT"

I have never heard someone spew so much **** out of their mouth. I was fine having a side fling with RCTW as long as it kept getting updated...but damn you guys could not even have been arsed to continue PBP packs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast