Thread: buying a new computer / pc upgrade

Junior Enthusiast

buying a new computer / pc upgrade

Hello,

This matter has been on my mind for some time already. Things were tight budget wise, but the sun is starting to shine more.
    So a new pc / possible upgrade is within reach.

Right now im running an almost 6 year old computer. The only 2 upgrades i made during that time are replacing the gpu (from a GT 630 to an GTX 750) and increasing the amount of memory (from 4 to 8gb)

My current specs are:
    I7 870 2,93gHz
    8gb memory
    gtx 750
    1 Tb HDD

The thought of buying a complete new pc was mostly in my mind, yet recently i have been looking into upgrade kits as well.
    Knowing that my psu is not a modern model anymore and that my current motherboard doesnt allow me to upgrade beyond 8gb memory, i might be cheaper of buying an upgrade it. Big point for me is that i have not done any pc building ( i dont consider plugging in a gpu card and memory stick to be 'building a pc yourself'. But perhaps im seeing things to difficult.

I have heard good stories about a SSD drive, so id like to buy one. My question would be: What will be wiser? Buying a complete new pc, or go for an upgrade kit? Any advice would be welcome.

a minor note: im ok with keeping the gpu i have now. Im not playing fps games or demand ultra graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgath View Post
    Hello,

This matter has been on my mind for some time already. Things were tight budget wise, but the sun is starting to shine more.
    So a new pc / possible upgrade is within reach.

Right now im running an almost 6 year old computer. The only 2 upgrades i made during that time are replacing the gpu (from a GT 630 to an GTX 750) and increasing the amount of memory (from 4 to 8gb)

My current specs are:
    I7 870 2,93gHz
    8gb memory
    gtx 750
    1 Tb HDD

The thought of buying a complete new pc was mostly in my mind, yet recently i have been looking into upgrade kits as well.
    Knowing that my psu is not a modern model anymore and that my current motherboard doesnt allow me to upgrade beyond 8gb memory, i might be cheaper of buying an upgrade it. Big point for me is that i have not done any pc building ( i dont consider plugging in a gpu card and memory stick to be 'building a pc yourself'. But perhaps im seeing things to difficult.

I have heard good stories about a SSD drive, so id like to buy one. My question would be: What will be wiser? Buying a complete new pc, or go for an upgrade kit? Any advice would be welcome.

a minor note: im ok with keeping the gpu i have now. Im not playing fps games or demand ultra graphics.
    Hi Forgath,

Regarding building your own pc; there are many videos on YouTube that demonstrate how to build a pc. You can watch some videos and then decide for yourself if you will be capable to build your own pc.

A SSD is indeed a great investment; it can drastically speed up the start-up time of your pc and software.

If you want to buy a new CPU you might need a new motherboard because a new CPU might require a new socket type. You will also need to buy a new motherboard if you want more than 8 GB RAM, like you have said.

If your computer case has enough space available for a new motherboard (which might be larger depending on what you want to buy), then you might want to consider buying only the new parts that you want, and keep the parts that are still OK for you (case, PSU, GPU).

You can check for yourself which parts you want to buy (based on your post I'm guessing it will be a CPU, motherboard, maybe RAM, and a SSD) and check their price. If it is cheaper than buying a new pc, then you can consider to only buy the new parts. Of course, you will have to be confident that you can install the new parts yourself.

Good luck!

Junior Enthusiast
    Considering the age of your pc, then it might be wise to start from scratch and only keeping things like possible the case and PSU if they are good quality and in good condition.

What I would recommend that you do is look into the new AMD Ryzen platform. It is much more affordable and delivers alot more peformance for the buck and also is supposed to have a upgrade path with future generation chips, so that you can actually upgrade it years later to a completely new CPU without having to replace the mobo.

Junior Enthusiast
    Thank you both for your helpfull replies JoelNL and Boxman. Much appreciated.

I will check out youtube concerning demonstrating video's on how to build a pc. And i will also look into information on the AMD Ryzen platform.
    I guess depending on if i find the demonstration vids easy to understand i can decide on what direction i will pursue (pc building myself or buy a complete one). Will check things out in the upcoming week and reply here (if i have any new questions).
    Regardless, thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Forgath View Post
    Thank you both for your helpfull replies JoelNL and Boxman. Much appreciated.

I will check out youtube concerning demonstrating video's on how to build a pc. And i will also look into information on the AMD Ryzen platform.
    I guess depending on if i find the demonstration vids easy to understand i can decide on what direction i will pursue (pc building myself or buy a complete one). Will check things out in the upcoming week and reply here (if i have any new questions).
    Regardless, thanks in advance!
    You're welcome.