Thread: 50% off RCTW

50% off RCTW

Hi

Fun fact RCTW is now the same price as RCT3, in the UK on Steam
    Wonder if we get any new features or if they have just given up on the game

so the Deluxe addition of RCTW is now £14.99 with rct3 platinum is also £14.99

source:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/27...on_3_Platinum/
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/28..._Tycoon_World/

Pathetic how they promised a ton of features then dropped the game without telling anyone. We can only hope that Planet Coaster and Parkitect will take it's place. Planet Coaster has done a great job so far, but theirs still a ton of work needed, and i'm afraid much of it just won't happen. RCTW is cheaper than RCT3 here in the US!

Junior Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPlayer01 View Post
    Pathetic how they promised a ton of features then dropped the game without telling anyone. We can only hope that Planet Coaster and Parkitect will take it's place. Planet Coaster has done a great job so far, but theirs still a ton of work needed, and i'm afraid much of it just won't happen. RCTW is cheaper than RCT3 here in the US!
    Welcome to reality.. This is sadly something Atari has done several times before in the past, which is why some of us expected this outcome.

And to Atari: This is why with each game you make you are less likely to be able to milk it, as the fans like danplayer01 here who actually had faith in you, will now most likely never trust you again if you plan to milk this or another beloved franchise in the future.
    It might work short term for quick profits, but in long run it will only end up making every IP you own completely VALUELESS.
    You really should be ashamed of yourself!!

Quote Originally Posted by boxman View Post
    Welcome to reality.. This is sadly something Atari has done several times before in the past, which is why some of us expected this outcome.

And to Atari: This is why with each game you make you are less likely to be able to milk it, as the fans like danplayer01 here who actually had faith in you, will now most likely never trust you again if you plan to milk this or another beloved franchise in the future.
    It might work short term for quick profits, but in long run it will only end up making every IP you own completely VALUELESS.
    You really should be ashamed of yourself!!
    I agree with boxman. Atari, shame on you for misleading fans and players!

I use the word trash a lot in this post because of language censoring, while reading you can swap out the word trash for some more fitting word if you can think of one and youll be more in tune with my thinking as i wrote this...

I too used to have faith that RCTw would turn out alright in the end but that faith rotted away over the past year and a half.
    I had full knowledge of the trash Atari has made in recent years but I fell for the claims and promises (not enough to buy it, i won my copy and likely wouldnt have ever bought it given i dont do preorders) that were made about RCTw and for the most part those claims turned out to be just pie in the sky (either intentionally or not)

While I agree with boxman that this tactic isnt good practice and is quite shameful I often think of todays Atari as comparable to the film studio 'The Asylum' creators of films like "Ghosthunters" and "The fast and the fierce" both trashy films released at the same time as legit franchise films with very similar titles in those cases the recent Ghostbusters and The fast the the furious.
    Theres many other "mockbuster" films they made to purposefully sponge off the real franchise as much as possible, their wiki page has a filmography list table with an actual column for what film is being mockbusted by their film.
    I see RCTw as a mockbuster version of the RCT franchise, as was Alone in the dark; illumination to mention just one of their other recent mockbusters.

I once read a interview with a main guy at The Asylum and he was asked, when are you going to stop making trashy films?
    The answer was, I'll stop the day one of them doesn't make profit. Astonishingly not a single film they have made has lost money even though they are all arguably the worst of the worst. The secret to it is put as little cash as possible in and you will likely get that and a bit more back out of it because humans are gullible.

Theres a couple of difference between Atari and The Asylum the biggest is that Atari have the actual rights to the franchises they make a mockery of, therefore they could put in the effort to make it a legit title but instead they make bad design choices (for whatever reason) that ultimately leave a majority of the customers extremely dissatisfied. It actually comes across as intentional to mislead the playerbase into buying.
    If it was intentional or not i think its fair to say that Atari never had the funds to make a true RCT franchise game and so they churned out RCTw to be borderline playable trash with some wishful thinking that that would be good enough to either sit on their laurels or maybe improve the game if it sold well. But thats just a crazy way to look at it, an analogy for that way of thinking would be...
    I designed a new car called the Testarossa X2, I made a great advert showing the car in its concept images and pages of awesome features and cool stuff like a connection to Ferrari somewhere in the production.
    People buy it in the thousands because of blind faith in the spiel.
    Then delivery day comes and their awesome car turns up looking like a 1970s Lada with a clapped-out engine and rotting bodywork.
    Complaints roll in like they weren't aware when they paid that the car was going to look nothing like the images that were shown to sell it and the feature list was all made up nonsense.
    I tell them don't you worry about it, I am dedicated to making that car awesome and over the next months to years ill keep shipping you free upgrades and it will be better... whats that? it doesnt even start when you turn the key? shut up trolling its great! I've sat in it myself and it looked like it worked.
    For some reason sales stagnate once the customer base sees the state of my car design and I don't get the funding to make the car everything I promised it would be.
    Wow what a surprise fail to deliver on a promise and people backlash? I didn't see that coming, :/

RCTw made a fair amount of money and sure it has turned some of the worlds population away from Atari but the next game they make will be aimed at a different group of people and they wont have had this experience and will likely not accept it on face value from someone they don't know who tries to educate them on a forum of some kind. They'll get some sales no matter what anyone says or does. As long as they can manage the funds in and out they'll stay afloat and from what i can tell that right there is Atari's field of expertise. Churning something barely playable out for as little cost as possible.
    Will it work long term? Probably not as game development is very time consuming and so its pretty costly but so long as the Atari heads still have cash cows to milk i betcha they gonna try to milk them.

I think they should stick to the mobile platform from now on; its cheaper to churn trash onto, its more forgiving for being trash (even more so on freemium) and the mobile platform has become fairly timeless. By that I mean in 5 years time something like RCT touch will be seen in pretty much the same light as it is today, new people will still install and play it on a daily basis and some mugs will throw far more money than it deserves into the premium content. Whereas in 5 years time RCTw will relatively look even more trashy than it does today and likely nobody will play it let alone buy it.

I have one tip for Atari that I think they should already know but clearly do not.
    Don't start a project if you cant afford to finish it (unless you plan on kickstartering it).
    If you only have enough money to make a trashy game then tell people its trash and sell it as trash. DON'T start a project, sell it as awesome, deliver trash with a promise that if theres enough interest in it then we will make it less trash and more awesome.
    I doubt I can convince you, you can do what you like but don't expect your customers to be happy about it. You see Atari isn't seen as some little indie startup company that you can forgive for pushing a broken featureless game early production. Atari is (or was on this board) seen as a gaming brand that practically started home gaming (even if its not actually the same Atari many don't know that) your held to higher standards by using the Atari name and if you don't live up to those higher expectations they you'll get shot down for it. Either change the name or learn from your history,
    Its not helping your brand, shareholders or customers to barf out trashy mockbuster games! It works for asylum, they made a brand out of mockbustering films but that doesn't make it good practice to do it and they had no brand beforehand to destroy plus they can churn out 10 films a year if they all make just 10k profit thats 200-300k in the time it takes to make a decent game. if just one of those dozens of films sticks then youve made your name and a big bag of cash. Sharknado and the sequels are clearly The Asylums best known films (not a mockbuster but just a trashy film paid for by past mockbuster trash), but they advertised them as trash and they were bought as trash. If your going to function like The Asylum then like them you should at least let the potential customers know that you plan on making trash and sell it at a price that reflects that.

Why can I not do small posts? i start with the intention of being brief and end up releasing a load of pent-up frustration over the state of Atari and RCTw in another epic rant that noone bothers to read
    Last edited by shirty; 06-04-2017 at 03:21 PM.

I bothered to read it.

Junior Enthusiast
    I see at least some big differences between Atari and The Asylum.
    The main difference is that Atari does what they do mainly because of how incompetent they are, while The Asylum have actually found their own little niche market that is not only profitable, but they have also grown quite a bit over the years and become increasingly profitable. What they do might be shady, but it is definitely not stupid.
    Atari on the other hand kept cutting corners even when they had the resources to hire someone capable of treating their highly valuable IP's with respect and as a result they are not a shell of what they were even just a few years ago.
    Even now with RCTW they could have made a decent game even with the funding they have spent so far if they had spent all that money on one decent studio instead of switching developers mid development and starting again pretty much from scratch.
    And even though they cut corners and have a shoestring budget for most games, they are still not profitable at all, which is why they have been close to bankruptcy over and over again. Considering how many years RCTW has been in development and all the studios involved I honestly do not think they made any profits of it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JoŽlNL View Post
    I bothered to read it.
    Same

Quote Originally Posted by boxman View Post
    I see at least some big differences between Atari and The Asylum.
    The main difference is that Atari does what they do mainly because of how incompetent they are, while The Asylum have actually found their own little niche market that is not only profitable, but they have also grown quite a bit over the years and become increasingly profitable. What they do might be shady, but it is definitely not stupid.
    Atari on the other hand kept cutting corners even when they had the resources to hire someone capable of treating their highly valuable IP's with respect and as a result they are not a shell of what they were even just a few years ago.
    Even now with RCTW they could have made a decent game even with the funding they have spent so far if they had spent all that money on one decent studio instead of switching developers mid development and starting again pretty much from scratch.
    And even though they cut corners and have a shoestring budget for most games, they are still not profitable at all, which is why they have been close to bankruptcy over and over again. Considering how many years RCTW has been in development and all the studios involved I honestly do not think they made any profits of it at all.
    You are probably right. I think it's time Chris Sawyer gets the rights back, or lets them lapse, no clue how their contract is arranged. Atari had years and years to make more RCT, and all they ended up doing was a bunch of crappy mobile versions (not sure about the DS version), and 1 horrible PC version. I really wished, as we all did, that they would have succeeded, but it's time for another producer (and naturally developer) to get a shot at it. Though I fear it will be another super long gap between the next PC release, if we do indeed get one. The IP has been severely scarred it the last few years...thankfully we still have the originals that hold up!

Quote Originally Posted by Hersheypark2011 View Post
    Same

You are probably right. I think it's time Chris Sawyer gets the rights back, or lets them lapse, no clue how their contract is arranged. Atari had years and years to make more RCT, and all they ended up doing was a bunch of crappy mobile versions (not sure about the DS version), and 1 horrible PC version. I really wished, as we all did, that they would have succeeded, but it's time for another producer (and naturally developer) to get a shot at it. Though I fear it will be another super long gap between the next PC release, if we do indeed get one. The IP has been severely scarred it the last few years...thankfully we still have the originals that hold up!
    Sorry to break it to you. Chris Sawyer has already renewed Attaris rights to the Rollercoaster Tycoon brand.

https://venturebeat.com/2017/05/19/a...nd-until-2022/

Can't blame him really. Atari have completely ruined the RCT name. I bet no one else wanted to buy the tainted name.
    Hes still going to make money from it this way as Atari are just going to beat the dead horse with a bunch of free to play shovelware RCT games.

I dont blame Chris Sawyer at all, but this is truely a shame, another 4-5 years of Atari ruining the once great legacy

The only thing I can hope is that Atari decides to reboot RCT with some like "RCTClassic 2" which would be exactly like RCTClassic mixed with a little bit of RCT3Mobile!! RCTClassic 2 could have new scenarios and improved challenges and more new features similar to parkitect and backwards compatibility with RCTClassic... but I am sure Atari will disappoint us all by continuing the crappy Mobile Apps