Thread: New Scenery Settings / Scenery Menu Functions

New Scenery Settings / Scenery Menu Functions

So, who else knows this: You have downloaded a ton of CSOs you like and everything in your Park looks great, but when you actually need to build something with multiple sets (for example ATH Catwalks and Shy Guys Alpine Village), you'd have to scroll A LOT and it even got more annoying whey you had to switch menus.

So my idea is to add a better sort-function than just the filters by theme. Perhaps some drop-down menus with some customizable information each set must have and the Sets would get filtered for the Sets you search. To help with that, it'd be nice to be able so set those values yourself ingame, because the CSO-Developers would have been able to select Categorys (I know that. I made some CSOs), but most just kept it in generic.
    An other option to achieve this would be folders. Simply make sort of a browser which displays the folders as they are acually saved in the resources folder to get better organizing.
    Next would be a search-function in the menus. Just search by Name by typing in a name of a set (or parts of it) and hit Enter. Also here, customization for the set names would be nice, so that I can say: "I see this package as a station package by XY and not as SHR-SH91 as it is originally made"
    Lastly to make the navigation easier: Please let us be able to have multiple menus open at a time or at least save where it was closed and don't make it start all over again at A

Now this gets a bit more technical on how to implement these ideas (from a code point of view):
    To manage the filters, each set would need to have it's own information-file. This file can be read and written by the game. In there, there would be a basic structure of information about the name, author, categories and subobjects. Through out this file, the game could run the filters, edit the properties and at the same time, navigate to the objects contained in this Set. The subobject values are set to be private to not screw anything up. The search function could also use these Info-files to check for Names.

Newcomer
    I agree that access to CSOs needs to be a lot better than in RCT3. Finding stuff in a looooong list can be very hard to do, especially with many sets which contain many hundreds of items. And if you need a similar item later, figuring out which one you used can be very hard and time-consuming.

I'd like to be able to make lists with items of my choosing. Being able to make one 'favorites' list would be helpful, but it would be even better if I could make more than one, and name them in a way that makes finding stuff easy for me. Also it would be very helpful to have an auto-list created for the current project, in which a shortcut is added for every new scenery object used in the project. And of course, it is helpful to save the auto-list as a permanent list, or add it to an existing list. Please remind me to save the list as I close the project.

I remember this being a huge problem previously, I do think if you're building using items from multiple sets it would be nice to have some sort of list of recently used items, so you can easily switch back to what you were just using. Potentially being able to add items to custom groups could also help.

Remember, the addition of Custom Scenery outside of the scenery elements provided for us to manipulate were an expansion that came long after Atari and Frontier abandoned development on RCT3. We don't know the full plans for custom scenery in RCTW as yet.

Mod support is a must in RCTW. it would foolish for atari to not recognize that rct is one of the most heavily modified games ever. i completely agree with adding scenery sets to a favorites window of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by a-can-o-beans View Post
    Mod support is a must in RCTW. it would foolish for atari to not recognize that rct is one of the most heavily modified games ever.
    Exactly this is the point!
    Most people including myself, play mostly with CSOs, because they're more detailed (at least in RCT3). That is why I don't care that much about realism in the scenery in RCTW, because if there is a CSO support (which would be wise to implement, because it's basicly more items developed, modeled and implemented for free) the community will add the realism.

Quote Originally Posted by Pony Clark View Post
    Most people including myself, play mostly with CSOs,
    We have seen assertive statements like this before, but there is no documentation to prove it. Based on sales # and then the size of the community at places like Shyguy, CS Depot, I would think that actually most people don't venture away from the base game. They had bought it, played it for a little while and moved on. Like with most games. I have 300 games and I am consistent with a handful. As an RCTer, I do use Custom Scenery. However, I have put a lot of time into RCT and it is one of those handful of games I revisit amongst my 300. If I were into Team Fortress (which I am not) that might be the thing I have a lot of Mods for, and my RCT folders would be empty. Never going looking for Custom Scenery.

I agree that allowing the community to add their own Custom Scenery would greatly extend the franchise. But it is a business decision. Atari could decide to release DLC for the next five years, choosing their topics based on what has been the most popular CS sets found at CS Depot, etc. They could take such things as Main Street modeling, and redo everything from the ground up, and charge us 19.99 for it. Then they would not have to give out any modding info. Information that in the wrong hands, with out extensive beta-testing, could of course allow the community to make CS for RCTW but also CS that might crash your game. When we first had CS because the info was held tight by Frontier and Atari for RCT3, there were a lot of caveats about making duplicates of your base game as everyone was unsure if your game would crash or not.

So this is something that has to be thought of carefully. And also something that we can't say blanketly, everyone who is plays RCT3 does so because of CS

Quote Originally Posted by dwwilkin View Post
    We have seen assertive statements like this before, but there is no documentation to prove it. Based on sales # and then the size of the community at places like Shyguy, CS Depot, I would think that actually most people don't venture away from the base game. They had bought it, played it for a little while and moved on. Like with most games. I have 300 games and I am consistent with a handful. As an RCTer, I do use Custom Scenery. However, I have put a lot of time into RCT and it is one of those handful of games I revisit amongst my 300. If I were into Team Fortress (which I am not) that might be the thing I have a lot of Mods for, and my RCT folders would be empty. Never going looking for Custom Scenery.

I agree that allowing the community to add their own Custom Scenery would greatly extend the franchise. But it is a business decision. Atari could decide to release DLC for the next five years, choosing their topics based on what has been the most popular CS sets found at CS Depot, etc. They could take such things as Main Street modeling, and redo everything from the ground up, and charge us 19.99 for it. Then they would not have to give out any modding info. Information that in the wrong hands, with out extensive beta-testing, could of course allow the community to make CS for RCTW but also CS that might crash your game. When we first had CS because the info was held tight by Frontier and Atari for RCT3, there were a lot of caveats about making duplicates of your base game as everyone was unsure if your game would crash or not.

So this is something that has to be thought of carefully. And also something that we can't say blanketly, everyone who is plays RCT3 does so because of CS
    bottom line is adding support for modding would please the non CS users as well as the ones who do use it. RCT is a heavily modded game there is no doubt about that. id rather atari focus on adding coasters , waterparks, flats and other features than to worry about releasing scenery sets that will almost certainly be added by the community anyways

I like OPs idea, and I think if what DWW says happens with DLC being used over mod support I will laugh myself off this site never to return.

Some people with deep pockets get the full experience while most others get stuck with how ever much they can afford. I understand capitalism, but I HATE gouging.....

I would rather a healthy base game, and healthy expansions. For me they simply need to raise the bar, and I think the game will rock. Once they try changing it that adds a chance of sheer failure.

Quote Originally Posted by TheClowner View Post
    I remember this being a huge problem previously, I do think if you're building using items from multiple sets it would be nice to have some sort of list of recently used items, so you can easily switch back to what you were just using. Potentially being able to add items to custom groups could also help.
    A simple "Duplicator" tool would work well here too...albeit not as advanced as the control you are referring to, but hopefully a simple enough thing that Atari could add to the game if they don't already have such an item.