Thread: The "What You Should Know" Thread

The "What You Should Know" Thread

Here we go again. RTCW will be leaving Early Access soon apparently and so there will be new people coming here trying to find out about the game.

This is the thread that new ones can look to for a condensed opinion of RCTW right now from the remaining community.

In this thread do not respond to anyone who makes a point you disagree with. Simply state your own opinion of the game. Even if you see an outlandish, nonsensical post, ignore it and make your own argument with sound reasoning and proof if available (video helps) without directly addressing the other poster. If you do not do this, it will be requested that your post is removed.

I asked that the last thread not be deleted but that the mods simply remove individual posts that violate the purpose of the thread. I even specifically reported offenders. And yet, despite it being an otherwise productive thread, I find that it was all deleted--not just closed, deleted. Could the mods please respond this time? It's not going to be nice for prospective buyers to come here and see requests for mods being ignored. There is hardly any activity on this forum at all. Surely, we can all work together to moderate one thread. Even if that means this remains the only post in the thread, it's only fair that if it's not breaking any rules, it shouldn't be deleted.

So, What Should You Know about RCTW?

I'd say, mostly you should just know what is and isn't in the game so far as you might be surprised to find that features you'd expect from an RCT game will not be in the final game. One example is moveable ride entrances and exits. This is a feature that's been in every iteration of RCT in the past but has been confirmed will not be in RCTW. That might not be a deal breaker for you, but it's something you should inform yourself of before purchasing.

Built in the Unity engine, RCTW can look beautiful from certain angles. UGC is also something new to make your parks look better than ever. Unfortunately, the guests are not yet up-to-par with the rest of the game and instantly shatter any aesthetic. Apparently, the developers are aware and another update is coming to improve on the guests again soon, but until then... they're pretty rough.

As of right now, features like the ability to build underground, recoloring flat rides, and guests arriving in groups are not in the game. Transport rides, water rides, and better coasters have been promised. Maybe after launch we will see these things in the game.

RCTW is priced and advertised as a AAA game which makes it a big purchase for most of us. That's why I'd give the same advice I'd give to anyone about to make a big purchase-- research your options. Wait until you've seen all of the features you'd expect are implemented and working before purchasing. Maybe there's enough in the game to hold your interest until full release... maybe not. That's the risk you run with Early Access.

Research your options. Ask questions. Be honest with yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by loquacious706 View Post
    Here we go again. RTCW will be leaving Early Access soon apparently and so there will be new people coming here trying to find out about the game.

This is the thread that new ones can look to for a condensed opinion of RCTW right now from the remaining community.

In this thread do not respond to anyone who makes a point you disagree with. Simply state your own opinion of the game. Even if you see an outlandish, nonsensical post, ignore it and make your own argument with sound reasoning and proof if available (video helps) without directly addressing the other poster. If you do not do this, it will be requested that your post is removed.

I asked that the last thread not be deleted but that the mods simply remove individual posts that violate the purpose of the thread. I even specifically reported offenders. And yet, despite it being an otherwise productive thread, I find that it was all deleted--not just closed, deleted. Could the mods please respond this time? It's not going to be nice for prospective buyers to come here and see requests for mods being ignored. There is hardly any activity on this forum at all. Surely, we can all work together to moderate one thread. Even if that means this remains the only post in the thread, it's only fair that if it's not breaking any rules, it shouldn't be deleted.

So, What Should You Know about RCTW?

I'd say, mostly you should just know what is and isn't in the game so far as you might be surprised to find that features you'd expect from an RCT game will not be in the final game. One example is moveable ride entrances and exits. This is a feature that's been in every iteration of RCT in the past but has been confirmed will not be in RCTW. That might not be a deal breaker for you, but it's something you should inform yourself of before purchasing.

Built in the Unity engine, RCTW can look beautiful from certain angles. UGC is also something new to make your parks look better than ever. Unfortunately, the guests are not yet up-to-par with the rest of the game and instantly shatter any aesthetic. Apparently, the developers are aware and another update is coming to improve on the guests again soon, but until then... they're pretty rough.

As of right now, features like the ability to build underground, recoloring flat rides, and guests arriving in groups are not in the game. Transport rides, water rides, and better coasters have been promised. Maybe after launch we will see these things in the game.

RCTW is priced and advertised as a AAA game which makes it a big purchase for most of us. That's why I'd give the same advice I'd give to anyone about to make a big purchase-- research your options. Wait until you've seen all of the features you'd expect are implemented and working before purchasing. Maybe there's enough in the game to hold your interest until full release... maybe not. That's the risk you run with Early Access.

Research your options. Ask questions. Be honest with yourself.
    The mere fact that you are attempting to defend this thread from getting deleted or locked is a bad omen for any prospective buyer. If you go by the history of this place, this thread will do fine as people express "What should you know about RCTW". And then a certain person will show up and it will be the death of this thread like many in the past.

So with the gauntlet laid down I'll give my opinion of what should you know about RCTW:

Almost a year ago I came across an advertisement for RCTW. Considering it had been 10 years since RCT3 release I was excited. I came to these forums and I think I missed the beta by a few days as that was the main topic of discussion at that time. The community was active. You had people like Deuce and Stig giving tons of input about the state of the game and what direction it should be going. Were there disagreements? How can you not have some in a forum. So yes there were but it was people being passionate about what they wanted to see. So we all co-existed and occasionally tempers would flare. But there was hope. Hope that RCTW would get it right.

A second beta was supposed to be in the works and I had planned on getting it. Looking on Steam I saw the hefty asking price for $60 for a game that wasn't quite finished yet. And I kept seeing "versus PC" in the forums. I like to be an informed buyer. Before I plunk down my hard earned money I want to know what I'm paying for and if it's suited to me. So I did research. I looked at videos of the first beta. In retrospect if Atari had gotten this right they would have got me. But the beta lacked so much content that something smelled rotten to me. And I found out that PC meant Planet Coaster. Two coaster games coming I thought. Wow that's great. Back then PC only had screenshots.

But around this time a foul stench began to permeate the air in these forums. Atari went to a blackout phase. An occasional word from Matt would be it's coming soon and thank you for all your feedback. At this point we were told outright by Matt that they were polishing the game. But minus an occasional rendered screenshot it was like crickets chirping with information here. The community began to eat itself because no one knew what was coming. Even I offered a plea for any type of information as by this point I had made up my mind I would not spend $60 on an unknown state of the game. There were some fiascos of mis managed streams by Matt (the now infamous Alienware stream where Matt gushed that we were just in awe of the game). And the ship began to really show holes in its foundation.

Fast forward to March 2016. Planet Coaster did their first live stream of their game. And an alpha release date of March 22nd was set for PC. The stream blew away what I had seen so far from RCTW. But I was STILL hopeful that RCTW would make a come back. Show us what you're working on. Give us a bone. Anything I asked. My pleas were met on silent, deaf ears as Atari said nothing other than they too would release an early access version of RCTW about a week after PC's pre-alpha release. There were some major press events going on at this time. Desperate for news of RCTW I searched the Internet but all I discovered was Matt and company locked up in a hotel room streaming retro 80s Atari classics. Still polishing they said...

And then they released early access for RCTW. I watched countless videos. And the game I saw in beta versus early access were just completely polar opposites. RCTW was ugly. It was buggy as hell. It looked like a mobile game had an abortion. It just lacked any soul to me. And I conceded at this point that RCTW had died. There was no other explanation for this in my mind. No fixing it. No mending to be done. The only hope it had was to start all over again. But since this had already happened twice before in the history of making RCTW that was not going to happen. So I laid my hopes of RCTW to rest. And I would have left this place if it were not for the sheer incompetence of Atari. How they can defend themselves is beyond me. The game still is buggy. It may look a bit better than it did. But the animations, the physics, the passion of creativity are just so below the bar of what I expect that it makes me wish to shout to the mountain tops for people to avoid buying this game at all costs.

It has been painful to watch the demise of this game. Nvizzio tried but they lacked the knowledge and experience to give the game what it needed. The blame lies with Atari and Atari alone. The community expressed their opinions. The community tried to tell them what was wrong. Atari just did not listen. Some passionate people were banned from this place. With this post I may be the next one. But I'll rest in peace knowing that I gave my opinion of what YOU should KNOW about RCTW.
    Last edited by Buffpuff; 11-08-2016 at 10:42 AM.