Thread: What is Fun About RCTW? (part deux)

What is Fun About RCTW? (part deux)

I'm doing this (again) because my curiosity demands it. Please, only comments from people who would describe RCTW as fun. If you disagree with a statement made, we can discuss it in another thread (or another forum). There is a serious lack of explanation of what people actually like about this game, but people who find it unplayable can write treatises on their reasons. Our first shot at this thread was cut short (and I don't really understand why. Can't we just delete individual comments if they become personal attacks? Why close the whole thread if it's productive?) but it was interesting while it lasted and I got some interesting PMs in reply. So, here we go again.

I am genuinely curious how people would describe this game. To me it feels like a mobile game with serious optimizations issues. Do others feel the same way but still find it fun? I mean, mobile games are popular for a reason, so maybe that's what some like about it.

Do you play other PC games? What do you like about them?

Did you play earlier games in the RCT franchise? What did you like about them and how did you spend most of your time playing?

Would you consider yourself a roller coaster enthusiast?

How do you spend most of your time in RCTW? How long can you play in one sitting?

What are the features or improvements that you think should be top priorities for the developers right now and what features do you think are 100% satisfactory?

Answers to questions like these can really help round out the general opinion of where this game is, where it should be heading, and who its target demographics are.

Do you play other PC games? What do you like about them?

I play a variety of other PC games. To name a few, in no specific order: (Planet Coaster, Parkitect, RCT2, RCT3, H1Z1, CS:GO, AoE II, Portal, Portal 2, Garry's Mod, Theme Hospital, SimCity 2000, SimCity 2013, ToonTown Rewritten, Space Engineers, Speedrunners, ARK: Survival Evolved, ARK: Survival Of The Fittest, Digital Paint: Paintball 2)

Whilst I am not going to go into why I like each game I play. Generally I am massive fan of multiplayer games. Any game I can play and get involved with the community. I've helped out in quite a few communities voluntarily just because how fun it is to collaborate with communities, meet a lot of cool people. I play games with the intent of getting as much out of that game as possible. I strongly believe that community alone can add so much to a game's experience. Be it hosting tournaments, talk shows, community discussion, voice chat servers, moderation, events, Etc.

Right now I am also very excited about Planet Coaster. I am a CHC member and I lurk on the forums quite a bit. It is very exciting seeing the game develop. The game is missing a lot for me currently though. Like RCTW, the game has a LONG way to go before it can be considered the next-gen of theme park games. Still a lot missing. It's not my dream 'RCT' game yet, but I think it could well be in the future once the guests actually react to things, park management comes in and the game gets UGC support.

Did you play earlier games in the RCT franchise? What did you like about them and how did you spend most of your time playing?

Like many, the RollerCoaster Tycoon games have a special place in my childhood. In fact, I'd even go as far to say that it's had a positive effect on how I've developed as a person, with creativity, design and entrepreneurial spirit. I've had so many memories of playing the game with my brothers.

RCT1 was actually one of the first ever computer games I ever played.

RCT3 was the best one for me. I enjoyed creating my own custom scenery and the game allowed me to be creative in ways I couldn't imagine. Having the ability to actually experience my park in 3d fuelled me with motivation to be creative.

When I had heard of RCT4's release I was absolutely thrilled to hear that this game wasn't dead, that the legacy would continue. But I was very disappointed to discover that it was a mobile game. To this day, I have not downloaded it.

Theme park games allow a certain type of creative storytelling that you just do not get a feel of in other games. It's so exciting having 3 new games rising up.

I really enjoy sandbox, but at the same time I like knowing that what I've built actually meaning and simulation behind it. I'd consider myself both a sandbox player and lover of management.

Would you consider yourself a roller coaster enthusiast?

I would consider myself a person who is very enthusiastic about coasters. I love riding them and have always rode them since I was very young. For a period of time I was very active in a forum community for Alton Towers. (http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/ -- Fantastic community! Haven't posted there in a while though.)

However, the term "coaster enthusiast" has been interpreted in many different ways. Am I an expert on coasters? I am not. However, I love learning about coasters and I also get hyped up when new coaster plans get released.

For instance, I followed The Smiler ever since the plans were revealed, before the name was even announced. I'd at least an hour a day on the forums reading about it. All the way up till opening day, where I was one of the first to ride. (Somewhere on the first 30 trains)

I actively watch some theme-park related YouTube channels. If you haven't already, you should check out Theme Park Worldwide -- https://www.youtube.com/user/ThemeParkWorldwide Always a joy to watch Sean's videos.

How do you spend most of your time in RCTW? How long can you play in one sitting?

I have almost 500 hours in the game thus far. (470+ currently) 6 hours is about the maximum I get to. I've had streams go on for that long. My average session is around 2.5 hours long.

This is the type of thing I most enjoy building in the game: (Took around 15 hours total to build, 5 seperate play sessions) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvaKtE9m4mY

I like to livestream with my Twitch channel community and spend time discussing with others about the progress of the game and also talk about our creations.

Every Friday, at 7pm BST we go live for "RCT Friday" where we chat together, discuss the latest updates, take a look at UGC and share our creations. You're welcome to join us! (http://twitch.tv/JordanMRichards) I think we're on our 8th Friday in a row now. It has been an absolute blast!

Whilst the game has a lot left to be improved and fixed, the game is gradually coming together. However, right now certain frustrations have me leaving the game abruptly at times.

I also host a talk show every once in a while. (http://rctshow.com) - Five episodes thus far, if you're interested in hearing more of my and other people's thoughts about the game as it has progressed. Will be doing more episodes as more bigger features are released.

I tend to stay away from scenarios and campaign mode a lot. The simulation itself is in-depth, peeps have many different personality traits, preferences and tolerances, however, the GAMEPLAY with that simulation lacks depth. This is due to there being no long-lasting consequences. If peeps get really upset and leave your park, more come in to replace them and there just is not enough depth.

SimCity (2013) had a TON of negativity, as it absolutely FAILED as a city-builder sandbox game. BUT, the actual gameplay was very challenging and in-depth. As a city management game, ( not a sandbox) the gameplay was actually VERY in-depth and fun. I ran a blog on SimCity (2013) for quite some time. http://scjmr.blogspot.co.uk/

If you had failed to give your citizens decent healthcare, they would not only complain "Hey, there are no hospitals!" but they would also complain that they DIDN'T have hospitals months later, when you had already solved the problem. This forced you to strongly consider the longer-term consequences of ignoring your citizens. THIS is what we need in the next generation of RCT (as far as gameplay goes) - in-depth gameplay with longer-term consequences.

Key things that keep me coming back to RCTW:
    • Coaster builder - SO MUCH FREEDOM! Took a while for me to get used to, but now that I have, it is so much fun. (I've got some tutorial videos on the way!)
    • UGC - Not being limited by in-game objects is just fantastic. Recently RCTW just reached 1000 UGC assets. It is a lot of fun seeing new UGC being uploaded. As the system gets improved, this will become a big deal for many I feel, especially if it works with PbP.
    • Communication and promises - We've been told that big things are coming such as the PbP, dark rides, transport rides, Etc. We've had 10 updates thus far and the game keeps getting better. I can see a ton of potential in this game and when things get frustrating, it's the potential that keeps me interested.
    • Twitch channel community - Whilst the community is very small right now, we have a cool core group who are so much fun to hang around with each Friday.

What are the features or improvements that you think should be top priorities for the developers right now and what features do you think are 100% satisfactory?

I really think that these should be separate questions.

My top priorities (in no specific order):

• Piece-by-piece
    • Overall POLISH
    • Making things more user friendly (Better UGC management UI, Etc)
    • Fixing the peeps (They are so awkward right now, could really use a re-design. I have seen some improvement, but they still look really awkward. )
    • Variety and customisation (Recolouring flat rides, customising stalls Etc.)
    • Gameplay DEPTH (Long term consequences, guests demanding refunds, dynamic park reputation that takes the past events into consideration)
    • More terrain textures
    • Transport Rides
    • Water Rides
    • Custom support selection - (Being able to manually select what type of support you'd like for a specific section of track.)

In regards to features I think are satisfactory, I'm not sure if it makes sense to have a list like this. As pretty much the entire game is still in-progress. But here are a few:

• Peep statistics
    • Patrol Zones
    • Ride settings (Min-wait time, Max-wait time, inspection interval, Etc)
    • Peep thoughts
    • Loans
    • (90% done) Coaster builder spline tools - it is so powerful right now. Just needs to be finalised, with the ability to control the limitations.
    Last edited by JMR; 08-10-2016 at 09:37 AM.

Great answer, man. When the beta was first released I was absolutely stunned by your determination to get the coaster builder to work for you, despite how much it fought you. Respect.

It's good to see you have a good grasp of where this game's management is and where it needs to go. This is the aspect I feel gets forgotten in discussion mostly. Every decision you make in an RCT game should have ramifications... I don't see that in this game yet and am not sure if I've seen evidence that the devs really know how to implement that in a way deserving of the RCT title.The fact that you're really just a gamer too means that you should know what the standards for any 2016 (now, almost a 2017) game are. I just think it's a good thing they still have you around in this community.

Anyway, I never get tired of seeing how people love to credit RCT1 and 2 with actually teaching them something... whether it was about gravity, friction, economics, or just how to be creative.... for me, it was all of the above (I would also like to point out that RCT taught me the words Defibrillator, Agoraphobia, and Claustrophobia). This title really did have a special place in our lives. It's easy to see why the fans are still so passionate.

Quote Originally Posted by loquacious706 View Post
    Great answer, man. When the beta was first released I was absolutely stunned by your determination to get the coaster builder to work for you, despite how much it fought you. Respect.
    Thank you.

It's good to see you have a good grasp of where this game's management is and where it needs to go. This is the aspect I feel gets forgotten in discussion mostly.
    I think you are correct. There isn't enough discussion related to the gameplay side of things. However, I believe that they have gotten the feedback they need. -- Devs have even come to my streams to lurk and note down feedback. I think they have a firm understanding of the lack of gameplay depth and where it needs to go now.

Thankfully, the type of people working on this game now are going out of their way to find feedback. Even if it means watching streams to take notes. -- Contrary to what you will hear elsewhere. Some people are still stuck in the mindset that they have given up on the game. (Just like people thought with Alone in the dark, yet the last update that game had was late June 2016.)

Every decision you make in an RCT game should have ramifications... I don't see that in this game yet and am not sure if I've seen evidence that the devs really know how to implement that in a way deserving of the RCT title.
    I think this is where our opinions differ slightly. I believe that a lot of what is needed is actually already implemented. The peep statistics for instance are very in-depth. They've got the information and data they need to deepen the gameplay, they just need to act upon them. Every peep has a happiness level which dynamically changes as the peep goes throughout your park and has different experiences. That happiness level ranges from 99, to -99. Every bad thing that happens to your peep effects that peep's happiness by a certain amount. But unfortunately, all that happens when that peep reaches -99 happiness is, the peep leaves the park.

So what I am claiming is, is that much of the tricky work has already been implemented. The statistics have enough depth, they just need to be used in ways which are meaningful with external systems built on those statistics, such as guests demanding refunds and going to guest services. I firmly believe that NVIZZIO are capable of this -- they have already coded the key things which they need to implement park reputation and long term consequences.

The fact that you're really just a gamer too means that you should know what the standards for any 2016 (now, almost a 2017) game are. I just think it's a good thing they still have you around in this community.
    Thanks, that really means a lot. Before this game launched for EA, I helped test the game and was able to give in-depth feedback on a ton of things. -- The "it's <year>" bar just keeps raising with every game that comes out. The key issue here is, is that there hasn't been any theme park simulation game that has risen to the 2017 game bar, so it is really difficult to determine what is considered a 2016/2017 next-gen theme park sim.

Going to keep it real here -- I've seen some point to Planet Coaster as that game, however even Planet Coaster is missing much of what is needed for a next-gen 2017 game. (Real-time guest reactions, procedural animation, each guest having individual thoughts Etc)

One thing this game has going for it is it's art style -- I personally really like the semi-realistic look. When I personally thought of an RCT4 -- I wasn't thinking of a cartoony-styled game.

I do not think RCTW will reach the standard of a 2017 theme park sim. (and to be honest, it doesn't look like Planet Coaster will either -- they've already confirmed that they won't be doing procedural animation.)

I am basing my personal standards not on what will make RCTW/PC a 2017 theme park sim, but rather, what would have I expected there to be in RCT4.

Theme park simulations games are HUGE and because of this, it is really difficult to compare it with any other game. The closest game we have to it is probably Cities: Skylines, but even that game looks like it is dating and falling behind on being a 2017 game.

What really matters here, has nothing to do with what current year it is really. What matters is the level of fun this game brings and it's level of quality compared to what previous games we have had in the same genre. The issue is that there has not been a good new theme park sim in such a long time. So it can be difficult to determine what would make a true next-gen 2017 theme park simulation game.

What matters most now is, does the game give me enough fun and does it allow me to do what I thought I'd be able to do in 'RCT4'? Currently the answer is a no, but I think it could definitely become a yes if they live up to their promises and keep the consistent updates coming. Many people thought they would have given up by now, people said that EA was their way of abandoning the game, but look where we are now!

I do have fun playing RCTW, but that fun is without frustration at times.

As long as they keep implementing new features and continue to polish and tweak older parts of the game, I think this game will get there.

Anyway, I never get tired of seeing how people love to credit RCT1 and 2 with actually teaching them something... whether it was about gravity, friction, economics, or just how to be creative.... for me, it was all of the above (I would also like to point out that RCT taught me the words Defibrillator, Agoraphobia, and Claustrophobia). This title really did have a special place in our lives. It's easy to see why the fans are still so passionate.
    I know right! I was very young when I first played RCT1 so a lot of the concepts inside the game were new to me. (I must have been around 4-5 years old when I first played it.)

You are so right! I think that is most likely the key to most people's passion about RCT in general -- the fact that the franchise is deep-rooted into our childhoods.

I think this was a good idea for a thread topic and I look forward to seeing what responses other people have.

I will personally be keeping a close eye on this topic to ensure that this thread does not result in closure.
    Last edited by JMR; 08-11-2016 at 04:34 AM.

Ive spent quite a while chatting with JMR both in streams and privately and must say that i agree with everything he is saying here.
    Am i having fun playing - most of the time yes (currently have 100 hours in game) and has my enjoyment improved over time - yes it has.
    I think this is probably because I was typically a scenario player previously and as already discussed here, the challenge with campaign isnt ebough currently, i have turned to sandbox building.
    Again i do get frustrated which result in rage quitting but j do find myself comung back to it.
    I do not think i would have spent as much time on the game however if it wasnt for people like JMR who are regularly streaming the game. At first it was to get ideas where now i spend less time watching the stream rather than having it on while i play and joining in the discussion- as JMR said previously it is a small community of us together on a Friday night (BST) but it is growing each week with quite a number of us joining the voice chat and i think without that i would possibly nkt have logged as many hours.
    I am enjoying playing with the terrain and scenery as this is something i never really did in the previous games (i started playing the first one when a cover disc went round my school with the demo on it) and have played all of them including the expansions and still go back to them.

I can find myself playing for anywhere between 30 minutes and 3-4 hours depending on what i am doing and i do play a variety of other games too.
    This does still need polish and work to some of the underlying guest systems - i want to see them stop and look at the impressive scenery, i want to see UGC affect them in that way too, if i have a crash on a rollercoaster i still want people to be cautious a year later.
    Ive said before that in some ways i think its too easy to get a park full of guests - previously getting more than 800 or so was a challenge.
    I know ive rambled a bit but in summary im enjoying it just now enough to be coming back to it but recognise there are flaws and things missing but with each uodste i have found performance for my set up improve which has made the game more enjoyable and if they keep up with the patches and content as they have done i think we could have a really good game when it is finished BUT I would rather that they took their time to do it well rather than rush it due to the other games in the genre which are also in development

Junior Enthusiast 0BobTheJanitor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JMR View Post
    ToonTown Rewritten
    Aye, great game