Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First impressions

First impressions

Hey guys.

In the beginning i came here to the forum to talk you that my daughter and i would like to play this game....than, a long time nothing heard about RCTW. But yesterday i baught 2 Early Access Versions...one for me, and one for my daughter.

Well...to late i read all the discussions about the game, so the first minutes were frustrating, but, after a while, i must say, it's not that bad as all those negative people are saying....shure....ther is a lot of work left, but do you guys really imagine how much work it takes to develop a game like that? We are no more in the RCT1-pixeled-aera where developing was easier and less time taking....so give them a chance.....you want something huge, something spectacular and and and.....so give them time to do that, and don't see everything negative.

Well...i'm just happy you guys released the game, even if in early access state, but, as i said to my daughter, don't be frustrated, these guys are still in developpement, and the good thing is, we can help them make the game better and better...

We will now test and test and test....and you guys get our reports, reactions and suggestions ;-)

So...keep going on ATARI!!!

Kindly regards

Draketornado

Quote Originally Posted by Draketornado View Post
    Hey guys.

In the beginning i came here to the forum to talk you that my daughter and i would like to play this game....than, a long time nothing heard about RCTW. But yesterday i baught 2 Early Access Versions...one for me, and one for my daughter.

Well...to late i read all the discussions about the game, so the first minutes were frustrating, but, after a while, i must say, it's not that bad as all those negative people are saying....shure....ther is a lot of work left, but do you guys really imagine how much work it takes to develop a game like that? We are no more in the RCT1-pixeled-aera where developing was easier and less time taking....so give them a chance.....you want something huge, something spectacular and and and.....so give them time to do that, and don't see everything negative.

Well...i'm just happy you guys released the game, even if in early access state, but, as i said to my daughter, don't be frustrated, these guys are still in developpement, and the good thing is, we can help them make the game better and better...

We will now test and test and test....and you guys get our reports, reactions and suggestions ;-)

Kindly regards

Draketornado
    Welcome to the forums - as someone in a similar frame of mind you you it is refreshing to see a post on here of this nature.

Park Patron
    My thoughts exactly, on systems with good performance the game can be really enjoyable already and that's before all the scenarios and everything are even finished

Draketornado, just so you understand where many of these reviews are coming from, let me briefly explain to you the history of this game since it seems like you just discovered it...
    RCTW has already been in development for a long time. "Early Access" is not an excuse when considering that the game was supposed to be fully released a year ago. There is nothing early about this game. It has been delayed multiple times and up until October 2015 the game was supposedly going to be ready for full release by December... but when revealed, it was clearly a less than finished game. After a barrage of hate (check out what the beta looked like on Youtube and decide for yourself what your opinion would have been) that the game was delayed once more. At this point, it's over a year late and still very, very, very far off from being a full game.

People are not taking for granted how much work it is to develop a game like this. Many people have been following the development of this game from day one. However, there are other roller coaster games in development being released in 2016 as well and, well... you should see those before you limit your idea of what a roller coaster game in 2016 should look like. Planet Coaster and Parkitect are in alpha stages and you should see them for yourself.

In any case, I hope you and your daughter enjoy RCTW. Just know that the negative reviews of the game are not completely unfounded at this point. It might be a good game in the future so I hope you two have fun with it, but there are other theme park games being released soon that you should know about so you can make an informed decision.

Quote Originally Posted by loquacious706 View Post
    Draketornado, just so you understand where many of these reviews are coming from, let me briefly explain to you the history of this game since it seems like you just discovered it . . .
    IMHO throughout: I think it's also worth noting that this is the latest in a series that has very specific expectations -- installments in this series that haven't met those expectations have failed spectacularly.

So what the RCT fanbase is mostly looking for is RCT3 (the last successful instalment, about ten years old) but better. Better graphics, better pathing, better AIs, better coaster-making, and seriously better UGC support. A park that's as completely customizable as today's tech can make it for the fantasy-park artists and real-park recreators, but also plays as an engaging and challenging game for those who are buying for that.

And sometimes it seems like that was never the developers' intentions, that they were making a completely different game and slapping the RCT name on it just because Atari owns it. And if that's okay with you then there are other park-making games out there (like the previously mentioned Planet Coaster and Parkitect), good games that have a lot of things going for them even in alpha. But if you're an old RCT fan, if you've been coming back to your RCT3Plat (or earlier!) parks for the last decade, tweaking and wishlisting, then when you heard about RCTWorld you thought this was going to finally be the real deal. And that's not what we got.

To their credit, the developers seem to have significantly better understanding of the issues now, to be taking all constructive feedback to heart, and are working to make this truly worthy of the RCT franchise. Given this and our early access, I'm willing to give them the time they need if that means getting it right. But from the viewpoint of many long-time fans not only are negative feelings perfectly justified, but strongly critical feedback is vitally necessary to us getting the game we've been waiting many years for, so there's going to be pushback against anything like hater-shaming or relentlessly positive cheerleading.
    Last edited by KickAir8P; 05-11-2016 at 12:37 AM.

So what the RCT fanbase is mostly looking for is RCT3 (the last successful instalment, about ten years old) but better. Better graphics, better pathing, better AIs, better coaster-making, and seriously better UGC support. A park that's as completely customizable as today's tech can make it for the fantasy-park artists and real-park recreators, but also plays as an engaging and challenging game for those who are buying for that.

And sometimes it seems like that was never the developers' intentions, that they were making a completely different game and slapping the RCT name on it just because Atari owns it. And if that's okay with you then there are other park-making games out there (like the previously mentioned Planet Coaster and Parkitect), good games that have a lot of things going for them even in alpha. But if you're an old RCT fan, if you've been coming back to your RCT3Plat (or earlier!) parks for the last decade, tweaking and wishlisting, then when you heard about RCTWorld you thought this was going to finally be the real deal. And that's not what we got.

Wow, what a great point. I never considered before how much consumer expectations obviously clashed with Atari's first vision. We wanted to see RCT3 in 2016. Looking at the original trailer for the game, it's clear that Atari thought that meant basically RCT4 Mobile for our PCs. When that idea was brutally decimated by the backlash, Atari had to scramble to figure out what fans actually wanted... and that's where we are today.
    In my opinion, you can still see some remaining vestiges of the "original" idea-- basically a Facebook game. The angry/sick/happy faces floating over the guests just scream "iPhone" game to me and I hate it. The way the tutorial works reminds me of a mobile game too.

Anyway, yeah. My advice to Draketornado is to take a look at the other games out there that had a better idea of what RCT3 fans wanted from the start of their development and then maybe he will better understand where the criticism for this game came from and why it's important for its success.
    Last edited by loquacious706; 05-11-2016 at 01:07 AM.

Park Patron
    Quote Originally Posted by loquacious706 View Post
    Draketornado, just so you understand where many of these reviews are coming from, let me briefly explain to you the history of this game since it seems like you just discovered it...
    Why? That has no bearing on their enjoyment of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by KickAir8P View Post
    IMHO throughout: I think it's also worth noting that this is the latest in a series that has very specific expectations -- installments in this series that haven't met those expectations have failed spectacularly.

To their credit, the developers seem to have significantly better understanding of the issues now, to be taking all constructive feedback to heart, and are working to make this truly worthy of the RCT franchise. Given this and our early access, I'm willing to give them the time they need if that means getting it right. But from the viewpoint of many long-time fans not only are negative feelings perfectly justified, but strongly critical feedback is vitally necessary to us getting the game we've been waiting many years for, so there's going to be pushback against anything like hater-shaming or relentlessly positive cheerleading.
    Well said.

Professional Lurker Vanillepink's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Draketornado View Post
    Hey guys.

Kindly regards

Draketornado

Welcome to the forums
    ~ Vanillepink - o(^▽^)o

Quote Originally Posted by Casiquire View Post
    Why? That has no bearing on their enjoyment of the game.
    It does have a bearing on what he said about not understanding the reviews for this "early access" game. And actually, knowing where something came from does affect how you feel about it.

To illustrate: If you were to go to a restaurant and try the New and Improved Future Steak for fifty dollars that you only occasionally had to pick gristle out of and a stray hair or two, you might still leave satisfied because you've never had New and Improved Future Steak before and that's probably a fair price and really, doesn't every steak come with gristle and hair in it if you look hard enough? Well, if you did your research and found that the place had horrible reviews, you might feel a little differently. You could come to find out that restaurant was charging 50 dollars for a microwaved, hormone-infused piece of steak that actually spent most of its time under a heat lamp before a waiter ran it out to you 2 hours late. This knowledge would probably make you a little upset. And then you find out the restaurant across the street is selling actual genuine Kobe steaks for ten dollars more. You try it and it changes your whole view on what a steak could taste like. Now you have proof that not every steak has gristle. Not every steak comes with hair. Yeah, that can certainly have a bearing on your opinion of that first experience.

But honestly, what are we even talking about here? The OP doesn't even exist. This is all moot.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast