Thread: Unity version upgrade

Passive Peep

Question Unity version upgrade

This is a question more directed at the developement team, which I hope reads this forum from time to time...

The text in the latest update suggests the team has the intention of migrating to a newer version of unity at some point (no idea what kind of a jump you are looking at).

Having been on board with Dreamfall: Chapters since it's funding campaing, I think it might be Worth thinking about their experience when migrating from Unity 4 to Unity 5, which was rather disastrously complex and cost them very strong delys.

I don't propose no upgrade is made... just that dev expectations be realistic.

good luck with the work, keep things going they are looking good!

Going from Unity 4 to Unity 5 is a much bigger upgrade than going from Unity 5.2 to a later Unity 5.x version.

Passive Peep
    They went to 5 on RCTW last summer. Pretty much every update to Unity right now is just a point release, containing bug and improvement fixes. Going from 4 to 5 is a major update, consisting of API and coding changes, so RCTW will be OK until Unity 6, should they decide to go with that (and 6 isn't even planned yet by Unity. 5.4 is in beta right now).

Passive Peep
    I've honestly no idea how many changes there are between these versions, just wondering. upgrading an engine is Always a pain if I've seen one.

Hope it brings some serious benefits though, it's nice to have the game on latest tech

Passive Peep
    Quote Originally Posted by candidshadow View Post
    I've honestly no idea how many changes there are between these versions, just wondering. upgrading an engine is Always a pain if I've seen one.

Hope it brings some serious benefits though, it's nice to have the game on latest tech
    My guess is they'll do the update to 5.4, as that addresses a lot of problems on Linux. I've done a lot of Unity development over the years and a minor update (ie: 5.1 - 5.2) usually is rather painless. It's the major updates (4 -> 5) that take a lot of work. Also, it greatly depends on exactly what all you are doing with Unity.

Passive Peep
    glad to hear that Looking forward to in the ^^

As the DX12 parameters are working they are on a pretty recent version.

Added Links:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/282560...3686059742465/