Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stop moving the dang camera!!!

Passive Peep
    3 Options:

1st: I think it would / could be pretty cool to have a special coaster builder screen like in 3D programs with four windows: View from top, side, front and 3d View.
    In the top view you can see if you build straight, in the side view you can see how high you build...

2nd Step by Step building:
    Step 1 Set only the point where the end of this track piece shall be.
    Step 2 Set only the heigth it shall have
    Step 3 Set the rotation
    Step 4 Set the curve angle or however ou want to cal it.

This way you don´t move the whole piece again while you only wanted to change the camera position and you get EXACTLY what you want. Small learning curve, same freedom im building, less frustration!

Quote Originally Posted by Casiquire View Post
    Your original comment wasn't just about terrain, your very first complaint was "I click on the node and Bam! the camera moves, hiding the node I want to work on behind the Build menu at the bottom of the screen." That has nothing to do with terrain, and that's what I responded about.
    Take a read of the OP, where I clearly make reference to the fact that the camera is tied to the terrain. The whole issue with the camera stems from it's tethering to the level of the ground - and buildings and scenery too - instead of following a direct path along a single axis without deviation.
    Take a look at my latest video to get an even better idea of what I'm talking about. It IS the most important issue with the game as far as I'm concerned, and certainly a bigger flaw than seeing park guests urinating on pathways. Yes, you need park guests, but they're not going to come into a park if the coasters are rubbish...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwOwS0C2XdQ

I understand the issue, and don't see a single comment of mine in this thread that implied that any other bug was more important than another. You're reading hostility and antagonism from me that just isn't there.
    I'm just sick of seeing my comments, built on video gaming experience of over 35 years (I'm 47 in June), being shot down in flames by kids that make me out to be stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by S1m0nde View Post
    3 Options:

1st: I think it would / could be pretty cool to have a special coaster builder screen like in 3D programs with four windows: View from top, side, front and 3d View.
    Yes, like NoLimits 2. Thing is, that builder has a very steep learning curve, and with the basic user having nil CAD-CAM experience or exposure to such programs, what we're after here is a tool that's both powerful and easy to get the hang of in a short time. Have a play around with the NoLimits 2 builder, and in 3D build mode I know for a fact
    (a) the camera doesn't move when you select a node point that you want to edit, and
    (b) the camera sticks to linear axes, ie. straight lines, when you move in a single direction such as zoom in/out, up, down, left, right.
    The RCTW editor is brilliant - better than NoLimits 2, for sure - but the sad thing is you're not going to ever use it to it's full ability while you can't get your point of view in a good spot. The reason? The stupid camera is stuck to the level of the ground below it! Try doing a 360° spin around the end of a track when the node point is right next to a mountain or hill or building or tree. I bet you won't keep the node point dead centre of your screen while your point of view moves up and down as it hugs the hill below it. All I'm asking for is to have the same "Ignore terrain" option that RCT3 has, and the same Camera Control options as that game. The coaster builder doesn't need ANY changes; it's the bloody camera hugging the terrain which makes not just the coaster editor but the entire game difficult to use.
    2nd Step by Step building:
    Step 1 Set only the point where the end of this track piece shall be.
    Step 2 Set only the height it shall have
    Step 3 Set the rotation
    Step 4 Set the curve angle or however you want to call it.
    How's about this? While you've got the coaster editor open,
    1. set your camera up to look at the next piece of vacant space you want to lay a piece of track,
    2. using that white pin, tell the editor where you want the current piece of track to extend to,
    3. lock it in place with a left-click of your mouse,
    4. spin the camera around so you can get a view that you like,
    5. click on the end of the track, press the (1) key on your keyboard and set the height of the track
    6. lock it in place,
    7. spin around so you get a good look at the end of the track, press the number (2) on your keyboard and then 'twist' the track in the same way you twist a liquorice stick,
    8. lock it in place,
    9. spin the camera around so you can see how the track bends between two node points, then alter that radius with either (3) key for horizontal bend or (4) for vertical bend.
    10. lock it in place, then
    11. move onto building the next section of track.

The main points I'm trying to make are:
    (a) unlock the camera so it doesn't follow the terrain that's directly below it, and
    (b) when we want to edit sections of track that are already laid down and we click on the node we want to alter, KEEP THE BLOODY CAMERA VIEW EXACTLY WHERE WE SET IT!

Surely that's much faster and easier to get the hang of! It's exactly how RCT3 did it, except for RCT3 not allowing you to flex or stretch or twist each individual track section in 3D space. The camera controls in that game certainly give the user a much greater ability to create and edit not only coasters but the rest of the park.
    To both you guys, and anyone else reading this thread, I ask you to go and play RCT3 again, then come back here and tell me how much easier it would be to play 'World' if you could move your camera around the park like you can in the older game...
    Last edited by djshotty; 04-11-2016 at 11:18 PM.

Professional Lurker Vanillepink's Avatar
    Trying to build a great park can be frustrating when not being able to have the camera where you want, we totally understand that.
    I will point out this thread to our designers today, I will keep you posted on what will be done next to improve them.

Thank you guys for your feedback, keep it coming!
    ~ Vanillepink - o(^▽^)o

Quote Originally Posted by Vanillepink View Post
    Trying to build a great park can be frustrating when not being able to have the camera where you want, we totally understand that.
    I will point out this thread to our designers today, I will keep you posted on what will be done next to improve them.

Thank you guys for your feedback, keep it coming!
    Could you also ask them to check out the videos I've made? I know there's a few expletives in them, but I make extremely valid points. Thanks for taking notice of my concerns, and I'm looking forward to using the coaster builder with the same camera manoeuvrability as we had in RCT3. Considering the tracks I've built over the years of playing RCT3, you can expect some brilliantly smooth running and tricked out designs, that's for sure!

All new video to explain the POV camera issues in the game. Hopefully the next update fixes them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=311ZVAiNOm0

Couldn't agree with you more, djshottty. I brought this up last October during the "beta", but worded it differently. I referred to the issue as nodes moving the heck all over the place when you select them (which happens because of the damn moving camera - your topic).

Park Patron
    Quote Originally Posted by JCat_NYC View Post
    Couldn't agree with you more, djshottty. I brought this up last October during the "beta", but worded it differently. I referred to the issue as nodes moving the heck all over the place when you select them (which happens because of the damn moving camera - your topic).
    And we're back off the terrain topic lol. These are two separate issues! One has a fix, the other doesn't. JCat, you're referring to the camera auto-focus option which is checked on by default.

Djshotty those are some good ideas in your last post. When it comes to the matter of nodes or camera moving when nodes are selected, that's a different issue that I think needs a different fix, different even than the workaround I mentioned. What a lot of us are saying in other posts is that clicking a node should select it but not move it; click-and-drag should move the node. Would make things a million times easier. Though we'd still have the issue of the camera being tied to the contour of the terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Casiquire View Post
    And we're back off the terrain topic lol.
    I've never left "the terrain topic", you muppet! Right from the very first post I wrote in the thread I created, I mentioned the issue with the POV camera is directly linked to how it follows the terrain below it. Watch my latest video, and if you can't understand what my problem with the camera is After you listen to what I'm saying, then you're obviously blind AND deaf!
    These are two separate issues! One has a fix, the other doesn't.
    Um, you're wrong, matey! Both issues are easily fixed, after making changes to the collision algorithm and also to how the camera point interacts with the X and Y axes it moves along. Watch the video carefully, because what happens when I left-click on a track's node point to select it, it doesn't matter whether I have the Autofocus option checked or not, the POV still moves along the Y axis (to the uninitiated, that's UP and DOWN) on its own! Pay attention toward the end of the video when I select the node on the top of the cliff. The camera jumps straight up, then once I left-click my mouse the camera goes higher again! There's an easy fix for that, and its based on simple three-dimensional plane geometry. In the command initiated by the mouse left-click when selecting an object, the developers only need to add a couple of lines to lock the camera to all three axes. If you then wanted to fly around the track piece or object after its been selected, hold down the Alt key and it will keep the track (object) still while you move the camera angle to get a better look at what you're trying to build.
    Shotty, those are some good ideas in your last post. When it comes to the matter of nodes or camera moving when nodes are selected, that's a different issue that I think needs a different fix, different even than the workaround I mentioned. What a lot of us are saying in other posts is that clicking a node should select it but not move it; click-and-drag should move the node. Would make things a million times easier. Though we'd still have the issue of the camera being tied to the contour of the terrain.
    All good, the developers know about it thanks to both me hounding them on LinkedIn and through their personal emails. Vanillepink is on the case, and an official Bug Report has been submitted to the developers. Once they see my latest video and read through this thread, I'm supremely confident they will have a firm grasp of my issues. They will also have a much better understanding of why I'm peeved orf.
    I sincerely believe the camera issues to be one of the main flaws of RCTW with respect of the overall gaming experience, and Nvizzio need to rectify those issues as a priority. With that, I'd like to personally thank Vanillepink for taking notice of this thread, my bug report and for tolerating the expletives in my videos.

Park Patron
    I've never seen someone so hell-bent on misunderstanding everything I say.

My comment about getting off the terrain topic wasn't aimed at you. I even quoted the comment I was responding to!

I'm not wrong when I say one problem currently has a fix and the other doesn't. If there was a fix for both problems currently in the game, we wouldn't even be talking right now! Both *can* be fixed. Only one has an option on the game menu at this moment though.

Agreed that Vanillepink is the greatest. They are definitely taking note and hopefully we'll get more fixes soon!

Well, I figured out my problem with the jumping nodes. It's the grid! If you have it on when adjusting a node, the node will "snap" to a different grid point, depending on where the camera is. Yup, I didn't realize that. If you turn off the grid when adjusting nodes, the nodes behave!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast