Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Incredible Coaster Physics!

There's nothing like real Physics in such type of Games, it's just faked for performance-reasons. The whole "Physics-Engine" are ~4 lines of code . Here is an Example I wrote some time ago in Unity: an Object floats along a spline (thats how rollercoasters are done in Games). If the Spline-Segment goes down, you increase the speed of the Object, if the Spline goes up, you decrease the speed. Additionally you decrease the speed by a constant value at every step to simulate friction.

Sorry, my "simulation-test" is in german - "Nomma starten" means restart, "Reibung" means friction . If you set the right number for the fake-friction, the simulation acts like real physics .

http://die-beiden.com/_temp/splini/

Junior Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by crionics View Post
    There's nothing like real Physics in such type of Games, it's just faked for performance-reasons. The whole "Physics-Engine" are ~4 lines of code . Here is an Example I wrote some time ago in Unity: an Object floats along a spline (thats how rollercoasters are done in Games). If the Spline-Segment goes down, you increase the speed of the Object, if the Spline goes up, you decrease the speed. Additionally you decrease the speed by a constant value at every step to simulate friction.

Sorry, my "simulation-test" is in german - "Nomma starten" means restart, "Reibung" means friction . If you set the right number for the fake-friction, the simulation acts like real physics .

http://die-beiden.com/_temp/splini/
    That might be how it is done in a more casual indie title. I bet you that it is nowhere near that simple in nolimits.

Passive Peep
    Quote Originally Posted by boxman View Post
    That might be how it is done in a more casual indie title. I bet you that it is nowhere near that simple in nolimits.
    Look at the devblogs from Parkitect. In their devblog from a week ago they show it as well and I bet NL will use that same kind of physics as well, just more fine-tuned

Yep that is exactly what I have been talking about. There is no need to implement complex friction calculations or - even worse - implement aerodynamics and air resistance to get a realistic deacceleration of the coaster. It's simply a few little constants that need some tweaking until it comes as close to reality as possible.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345