Thread: Click-and-drag to move a node

Park Patron

Click-and-drag to move a node

I think most people would agree with me here, it is not a user friendly experience for a node to start moving as soon as you click on it. I believe this was improved since the beta, but the best solution is still to make nodes move by clicking and dragging rather than just clicking. It's nice to just click while initially building track, but once it's placed I often need to change just banking or just one if the other features without actually moving the node. By making the left mouse button "select" a node for scroll-wheel edits but leaving it locked in place until you click and drag, the coaster builder would be made near-perfect in my opinion.

Park Patron
    Piggybacking off the original point of this thread, there's a wheel to control banking at the bottom of the screen while coaster building. If height, yaw, and pitch wheels could be similarly added and all could be adjusted after clicking a node, I'd be hard-pressed to find anything else that needed improving as far as the use of the builder.

Yup, nodes jumping to your mouse's position when you click on them is the most difficult part about the coaster builder. A node should not move when you click it- I like your idea of clicking and dragging to change node position and being able to change banking etc with the piece-by-piece control ui for nodes, rather than having to use the 1-4 buttons in combination with shift.

This is the biggest, and just about only frustration I've had so far other than the performance issues. I think it would be much easier to use if we just click on a node to activate it, then be able to slightly change the node without drastically moving it around. Sometimes I want to change my camera angle to see the piece better, but it is impossible without moving the node. The other time I want this is when you create a new node from existing track, when you click on a track piece and it has options for new nodes, I want to create new nodes and then just leave them there so I can add or remove brakes and things.

Park Patron
    Quote Originally Posted by BiasedCarrot8P View Post
    This is the biggest, and just about only frustration I've had so far other than the performance issues. I think it would be much easier to use if we just click on a node to activate it, then be able to slightly change the node without drastically moving it around. Sometimes I want to change my camera angle to see the piece better, but it is impossible without moving the node. The other time I want this is when you create a new node from existing track, when you click on a track piece and it has options for new nodes, I want to create new nodes and then just leave them there so I can add or remove brakes and things.
    Yes agreed! Though if you're just placing breaks, helpful hint, if you add a new node and RIGHT click it doesn't move.

I agree with this 100%.