Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Brakes Stalling Coasters

  1. #1

    Brakes Stalling Coasters

    Current brakes (non block brakes) stop coasters when the brake section is realistically long, even when the force value is set to 1 (what is this, Newtons?). I would suggest making it like the past RCT games by specifying the slowest speed allowed, rather than using arbitrary units.

    Also block brakes cause the train to completely stop even when the next block section is clear.

  2. #2
    Park Patron
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,257
    Quote Originally Posted by Ostinyo View Post
    Current brakes (non block brakes) stop coasters when the brake section is realistically long, even when the force value is set to 1 (what is this, Newtons?). I would suggest making it like the past RCT games by specifying the slowest speed allowed, rather than using arbitrary units.

    Also block brakes cause the train to completely stop even when the next block section is clear.
    Yes, yes, absolutely.

    Friction brakes seem like they're intended to function like trim brakes AND the block brake run in this game with just the last track segment serving as the block brake. These brakes are useless for both trim brakes and brake runs which makes me wonder what they're useful for. As a test, I added one small brake segment to act as a trim brake on a wooden coaster that got a bit too wild, but even at the lowest setting it bright the ride to a halt. Brakes are almost unusable in this game so far.

    I second the suggestion of a target speed, though I also think it truly should be a "target" speed. If your coaster is going 100mph over one track segment set to 0mph it should not be able to fully stop it.
    Last edited by Casiquire; 03-31-2016 at 11:23 AM.

  3. #3
    +1
    Brakes should have a level (as they do now), and a target speed. They should slow the train down using the selected force until it reaches the target speed (if the target speed can be achieved with the selected level). This is more realistic to the real world coasters, and far more useful in game. The current brakes at the lowest level are frequently too powerful to use to remove a little excess speed - even a run shorter than it takes to have any brakes show on the track.

  4. #4
    Yes! I kept fiddling with breaks on a wooden coaster last night and thought I was going crazy because of this. Even the lowest setting completely stops the train.

  5. #5
    Same here. Both brakes on ALL coasters are completely a mess and unusable. I've tried everything. Devs need to put this high on the priority list. After losing minutes of my life I'll never get back looking at the included coasters, I went ahead and built what a real coaster should look like. That is, until I got to the brakes and realized I couldn't go further, literally and figuratively.

  6. #6
    What I've been doing in the meantime is making brake sections smaller by adding a new node and setting the force to 1. The train usually passes through faster than I'd prefer but it's better than not braking at all.

  7. #7
    Park Patron
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,257
    Quote Originally Posted by Ostinyo View Post
    What I've been doing in the meantime is making brake sections smaller by adding a new node and setting the force to 1. The train usually passes through faster than I'd prefer but it's better than not braking at all.
    Not in my case, I wanted trim brakes to slow a train down (since coasters tend to be way too fast in this game) and if one single segment of brakes didn't outright stop the ride, even at 50mph, it slowed it down so significantly that the train couldn't complete the circuit.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by agbenson88 View Post
    +1
    Brakes should have a level (as they do now), and a target speed. They should slow the train down using the selected force until it reaches the target speed (if the target speed can be achieved with the selected level).
    +1
    This right here is the best option

Similar Threads

  1. Stuck Block Brakes
    By CoasterBoss in forum Technical Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-11-2016, 03:06 PM
  2. Trains Stalling
    By Beaker86 in forum Ideas and Feature Requests - TEMP ARCHIVE
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-06-2015, 08:08 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
RollerCoaster Tycoon is back! RCTW is the first new entry to the RollerCoaster Tycoon franchise in a decade, bringing an innovative new track builder, and much more.
Join us