Thread: Path system improvement ideas

Path system improvement ideas

I have a few ideas for the path editor that I think will really improve customization. Some of these ideas are straightforward, while others I think will be a bit different but really help with flexibility.

1. Piece by Piece path building option - This will improve the efficiency of right angles paths, as well as allow for some flexibility with symmetrical path designs. I think that paths built this way should alter terrain to its level so it will have less restrictions. Also, it will pave the way for more control over stair implementation. Think of it as a coaster-builder style path editor.

2. Slider to adjust path width - This will be the solution of ultimate control of park path width. Need I say more?

3. While freeform building, Allow the path to snap either onto the edge or center of another path, or not snap at all - This is an interesting idea that could be used to combat issues with unwanted snapping to other paths. Snapping to either the edge or center of a path should allow the player more freedom as to how paths join and merge, and of course if you don't want two paths to merge (planet coaster and your shops ), you can turn snapping off with a hotkey. While on, the edge and center path snapping should be visible while editing to give the player a better understanding of what their path is snapping to. Also, this idea combines with #4...probably a game changer for path building...

4.Add a "Fill path" tool that will allow the player to form a loop using the lines of the center of the path (explained in #3) to fill the interior of paths - What this means is that using this feature, you can basically drag a "loop" out of existing path centers, and being able to completely fill the interior of that loop formed with new path. Think of it as the Bucket tool in MS Paint. This will be a really unique idea to tackle a common complaint about Path Systems in these types of games.

Thoughts? Any more ideas? LEAVE A COMMENT

Quote Originally Posted by RCTWLemondude617 View Post
    I have a few ideas for the path editor that I think will really improve customization. Some of these ideas are straightforward, while others I think will be a bit different but really help with flexibility.

1. Piece by Piece path building option - This will improve the efficiency of right angles paths, as well as allow for some flexibility with symmetrical path designs. I think that paths built this way should alter terrain to its level so it will have less restrictions. Also, it will pave the way for more control over stair implementation. Think of it as a coaster-builder style path editor.

2. Slider to adjust path width - This will be the solution of ultimate control of park path width. Need I say more?

3. While freeform building, Allow the path to snap either onto the edge or center of another path, or not snap at all - This is an interesting idea that could be used to combat issues with unwanted snapping to other paths. Snapping to either the edge or center of a path should allow the player more freedom as to how paths join and merge, and of course if you don't want two paths to merge (planet coaster and your shops ), you can turn snapping off with a hotkey. While on, the edge and center path snapping should be visible while editing to give the player a better understanding of what their path is snapping to. Also, this idea combines with #4...probably a game changer for path building...

4.Add a "Fill path" tool that will allow the player to form a loop using the lines of the center of the path (explained in #3) to fill the interior of paths - What this means is that using this feature, you can basically drag a "loop" out of existing path centers, and being able to completely fill the interior of that loop formed with new path. Think of it as the Bucket tool in MS Paint. This will be a really unique idea to tackle a common complaint about Path Systems in these types of games.

Thoughts? Any more ideas? LEAVE A COMMENT
    I agree totally. The path system in this game needs a lot of improvement. Pathing in these games can either make these games a success or break them. #1 stairs is a must. #2 the ability to place pathing more like rct 3. #3 pathing bugs which I notice grass on some of my paths or pathing being considered unconnectable at parts of the game.