PDA

View Full Version : RCTW - Blog #29 - UGC Video!

Mattlab
03-02-2016, 03:16 PM
Dear Fans,

User-Generated Content (UGC) has kept the RCT community thriving for years.

Previous games had thousands of custom pieces that users could choose from, giving players the ability to customize their parks in almost any way they liked. This was even more impressive when you consider the fact that none of these games had built-in support for UGC.

With the upcoming release of RollerCoaster Tycoon World, that all changes. We designed the game from the ground up to support your creativity, with native UGC as the centerpiece of this new game. It’s the only way to truly allow unlimited freedom and customization. We believe this is one of the most exciting developments in the history of the franchise. It was a core architecture decision early on in development, and one we’re extremely excited about.

So, without further ado, here is a short video showing you some of the power of UGC in RollerCoaster Tycoon World. One quick note before watching – the video taken is from an in-progress development build. The game is currently being optimized and the frame rates are being improved.

As you just saw, we have created a system that is custom-tailored to both the UGC “Creators” and the UGC “Users.” Let’s focus on the UGC Creators first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDl-303a9Qc

THE CREATORS

Our UGC system takes advantage of the game engine that powers RCTW – Unity. Unity 5 already natively supports a wide variety of 3D editing programs. This allows creators to use any of these editing programs to make their models, animated objects, and more. We made this a key architecture decision for the design of our UGC system, instead of creating our own proprietary editing tools. Once you have created your model, you simply load it into Unity 5. There, you use our custom-made Unity Plugin that packages it into something that can be used in the game. Lastly, with the click of the export button, it’s brought live into the game. All of this works today and will be available at launch.

Any piece of UGC content you make will, at your discretion, be available to share with the entire RCTW community through the Steam Workshop, or directly with friends. Any coaster or park you build can be shared with other players through our in-game UGC hub. This means that if you build an awesome coaster, you can simply click a button to create a blueprint and place it on the Steam Workshop for all to use. You can also do the same with entire parks.

It’s also worth mentioning that UGC can be created in-game and doesn’t have to be limited to custom 3D models.

THE USERS

Want to use the creative power of the community without making your own UGC? We have built a beautiful UI and easy system to allow you to seamlessly interact with UGC assets uploaded by the community. The game utilizes all of the great APIs Steam has to offer. This allows you to go to the Steam Workshop, select any asset, and place it directly into the game.

UGC is integrated seamlessly into the RCTW experience. The exact same building and placement tools that work for other models in the game are available for UGC. Every single scenery object imported into the game can be manipulated like any in-game object, rotated, snapped to a grid, and more. We’ve also allowed for UGC to be moved up and down in vertical space – without stilts forming under it. This means that if you want to import a cool UGC blimp and have it hover above your park displaying an ad for your next awesome ride – you can.

You never have to leave the game to use UGC - it works just like any other in-game asset. This was important for us since we wanted to lower the barrier to using custom content in RCTW. We also took the casual user into mind – our saved game sharing feature allows you to see your Steam friends and visit their parks with the click of a button to see what they were up to.

WHAT’S NEXT?

This is only the beginning. The system we built can be endlessly expanded as needed. At launch, we are going to support custom static and animated scenery. So whether you want to place a cool castle in the game, a new type of tree, a Tiki idol, a rocket ship, or a whole volcano - you can! We have been testing the game with a number of different types of UGC assets and we are already seeing content being made by the team that we didn’t think would be possible. Even more exciting are the ways that our testers are mixing UGC with in-game content. We recently saw a UGC castle made with passageways and tunnels big enough to fit an entire coaster inside. This is possible.

So where do we go from here? We are making the final tests to ensure you don’t need collision boxes with UGC. It will allow you to place objects almost anywhere in the game and build entire unique parks and environments with them – animated or static. This too will be at launch, and is the foundation of our eventual darkride system.

UGC is also being utilized as the foundation for our Piece-by-Piece Custom Structure System. We know that not everyone will want to play with a 3D editing program or use custom content from the Steam Workshop, and we know a lot of you just want to be able to build cool things in the game. Now imagine the possibilities if we take the idea of Piece-by-Piece and mix it with UGC! This feature IS coming – but will be post-launch. We need to make sure we have the foundation of this UGC system just right, and validated by the community, before we start working on expansions to it.

We are excited and we hope you are too! UGC will give RollerCoaster Tycoon World, and you, an endless well of creativity to draw from. It’s the foundation for a bright future for the franchise, and we can’t wait to see what you create!

Our next blog will be about the schedule and the launch date. See you soon!

svensonic1
03-02-2016, 03:26 PM
Unity 5 already natively supports a wide variety of 3D editing programs (INSERT LINK)

Edit that (INSERT LINK) in the blog please, looks awesome btw :)

The Inspector
03-02-2016, 03:49 PM
It must be noted that this contains more actual information than anything in the past three or four months, so congratulations on that front Mattlab! Assuming that what you say about piece-by-piece building and dark rides becomes a reality, this game could end up being reasonably good, but I'll remain skeptical for now until the goods are delivered, given Atari's track record and all.

kraftd
03-02-2016, 03:56 PM
Ugh, those supports though... Just bars stuck through the spine of the coaster track. I really hope that's not what they are considering the final product since we are theoretically close to launch.

coaster_tog
03-02-2016, 04:09 PM
failed, you released this in the middle of the planet coaster livestream, this game is looking DIRE vs Planet COaster

Marvin
03-02-2016, 04:10 PM
What about piece-by-piece building?

coaster_tog
03-02-2016, 04:13 PM
Dont have it for builidng , already confirmed, planet coaster confirmed tonight THEY DO

DMB1985
03-02-2016, 04:13 PM
When piece-by-piece building is included, will building pieces for existing themes be made available or will this all be dependent on UGC?

bazahazano
03-02-2016, 04:19 PM
They can't be bothered to make any decent content so expect people to make there own. Much of the custom content in the other RCT's was terrible.

intoxination
03-02-2016, 04:23 PM
Unity 5 already natively supports a wide variety of 3D editing programs (INSERT LINK)

Edit that (INSERT LINK) in the blog please, looks awesome btw :)

As long as they are using the standard Unity asset importer, pretty much all the major 3D file formats and programs. Here's the doc pages on it:

http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/HOWTO-importObject.html

huss134
03-02-2016, 04:41 PM
"Our next blog will be about the schedule and the launch date. See you soon!" OMFG YESSSS

4thImpulse
03-02-2016, 04:42 PM
They can't be bothered to make any decent content so expect people to make there own. Much of the custom content in the other RCT's was terrible.

This statement is totally false and borderline trolling. They've made a fair amount of decent scenery content from what we've seen in the videos/pictures and beta. And there are likely other theme besides the 3 (?) we've seen so far with equally good scenery. Further more the past RCT games have seen massive amounts of UGC giving them the legacy they hold today. What they are showing here is they have streamlined the process and made it very simple for everyone to enjoy!

Mattlab
03-02-2016, 04:42 PM
As long as they are using the standard Unity asset importer, pretty much all the major 3D file formats and programs. Here's the doc pages on it:

http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/HOWTO-importObject.html

That's the link I needed :) Yes, indeed we, as a result of Unity, support all of those formats!

jackk
03-02-2016, 04:59 PM
Unfortunately RCTW just isn't up to scratch compared to Planet Coaster. This game has so many issues.. That video is so cringey with the frame rates. The coaster tracks are HUGE and nothing looks right.. it just looks weird I don't know.

The Stig
03-02-2016, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the update, Mattlab! Is it possible that the UGC system could be expanded to include custom flat rides and custom coaster types?

supermc
03-02-2016, 05:07 PM
"Our next blog will be about the schedule and the launch date. See you soon!" OMFG YESSSS

Soon 2076.

JMR
03-02-2016, 05:22 PM
So where do we go from here? We are making the final tests to ensure you don’t need collision boxes with UGC. It will allow you to place objects almost anywhere in the game and build entire unique parks and environments with them – animated or static. This too will be at launch, and is the foundation of our eventual darkride system.

YES! So pleased to hear that we'll be able to no-collide UGC! Thanks for the update!

I assume this also entails us being able to build tunnels and structures to pass our coasters through? :O

Deuce
03-02-2016, 05:26 PM
On a positive note, great to see some a subject gone into on detail in a blog at last. This one was actually about development - been a long time since that was the case!!!

Guessing this means either no second beta, or a second beta right before launch again. Neither sounds ideal, but this game had to be dragged out into the light at some point! Looking forward to the release and seeing if there are pleasant surprises, unknown bugs, or both (or neither lol).

Deuce
03-02-2016, 05:28 PM
YES! So pleased to hear that we'll be able to no-collide UGC! Thanks for the update!

I assume this also entails us being able to build tunnels and structures to pass our coasters through? :O

Me too. I suspected as much when they suddenly had parks packed full of foliage!! If you can indeed import an entire building AND build through it/within it, then RCTW will have improved in its potential for creativity overnight.

4thImpulse
03-02-2016, 05:28 PM

"We recently saw a UGC castle made with passageways and tunnels big enough to fit an entire coaster inside"

From that statement and the no collision it is certainly possible to create tunnels with scenery. Whats not possible is creating tunnels through terrain, at the moment. And we now know we can freely raise and lower objects, further paving the way to a great modular building system!

Airboss
03-02-2016, 05:35 PM
Yay! Glad that the next blog will be announce the schedule! Im glad you guys are taking UGC to this level!

candidshadow
03-02-2016, 05:38 PM
This is true potential. With a UGC system that seems almost as powerful as that of The Sims (with promises of more to come), the game can really come to life.

Sure, Planet Coaster is looking great, I have no doubt it will be a tough competition, but for the first time today I've seen something that truly sets RCTW in serious conention.

You need to hit the ground running and keep the rythm, release those promised extentions quick, and you can have a winner.

Marvin
03-02-2016, 06:04 PM
I don't really understand how UGC is the foundation of a piece by piece system, when the other titles had piece by piece building without official modding support :confused:

Sounds like they're making the players create the system they should already have in the game.

MJK1988
03-02-2016, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the video. It looks and sounds great. It seems like even if you're not an expert at 3D modeling you can still use this UGC option.

TheMagicianThing
03-02-2016, 06:07 PM
I don't really understand how UGC is the foundation of a piece by piece system, when the other titles had piece by piece building without official modding support :confused:

Sounds like they're making the players create the system they should already have in the game.
look at the video. what you are saying is mixing different things they haven't even said. the piece by piece coaster system is built over the spline coaster (which can be switched to without a hitch). and the UGC is just a really really simple way to port new scenary and other things into the game.

Palaber1984
03-02-2016, 06:17 PM
Bla bla bla Matt. What I saw in the PC live stream blows away all your "maybe cool" features.

MJK1988
03-02-2016, 06:22 PM
Bla bla bla Matt. What I saw in the PC live stream blows away all your "maybe cool" features.
Then why are you still here? Just so you can troll these forums?

Creeky
03-02-2016, 06:27 PM
Looking good! Hopefully we'll be able to make our own coaster cars at some point. Want to make a sofa on rails :D. Look forward to the next blog with the release date!

Palaber1984
03-02-2016, 06:33 PM
Then why are you still here? Just so you can troll these forums?

Your right. Why am I here? Why are you here? I can't stand the way how Matt writes his blogs. Always the same blogs. Just static. Repeating the same thing like in video said! Did you see John law giving his live stream?!? Everyone can see how passionately he is saying everything like he would be one of ours. But if I see Matt speaking or writing im getting bored!

So why i am here? To open your eyes?!?!

DMB1985
03-02-2016, 06:35 PM

My guess is that at some point, Atari will release an update that makes it possible to do piece by piece building but that it is dependent on modders making the scenery items.

Jimbow
03-02-2016, 06:36 PM
Every single scenery object imported into the game can be manipulated like any in-game object, rotated, snapped to a grid, and more. We’ve also allowed for UGC to be moved up and down in vertical space – without stilts forming under it. This means that if you want to import a cool UGC blimp and have it hover above your park displaying an ad for your next awesome ride – you can.

Mattlab, will we be able to set a designated / animated paths for such objects; a blimp for example to navigate in the sky or even objects on the ground in any direction? This would be great for planes and other objects for them to be able to "fly" across our parks.

AaronTuckwell
03-02-2016, 06:48 PM
I've literally just come from the Planet Coaster Stream to this blog... Um....

1 hour 5 mins talking freely about a game, vs a 2 minute video showing a game that's barely progressed from what was called a "beta" that was meant to be released well over a year ago.

Guys, you really need to pull something major out of the bag to even compete in the same league or on the same level. I've just seen an alpha build of a game that's far superior to anything we've been shown in 29 "blogs" and a botched "beta"

Building my own scenery or setting, piece by piece, the way I want it, in game and watch it come to life vs having to learn a new bit of software to create beautiful scenery and import it via another potentially complex system of clicks... That's a complete "Know your Audience" fail. And another fail to add to an ever growing list.

Let's be honest right now.. And believe me, I've tried my hardest to defend, up-talk, be open minded about RTCW while remaining optimistic that you're going to pull off this AAA game that you keep quoting, but Frontier only need to share a concept image or a teaser image and it exposes this game as the complete farce it's shaping up to be... Based on what I've just seen happen with interaction, their live stream has just owned you. I wouldn't even be angry or disappointed if you pulled the game and cancelled it..

Go home Atari, Frontier have this.

TheMagicianThing
03-02-2016, 06:53 PM
I've literally just come from the Planet Coaster Stream to this blog... Um....

1 hour 5 mins talking freely about a game, vs a 2 minute video showing a game that's barely progressed from what was called a "beta" that was meant to be released well over a year ago.

Guys, you really need to pull something major out of the bag to even compete in the same league or on the same level. I've just seen an alpha build of a game that's far superior to anything we've been shown in 29 "blogs" and a botched "beta"

Building my own scenery or setting, piece by piece, the way I want it, in game and watch it come to life vs having to learn a new bit of software to create beautiful scenery and import it via another potentially complex system of clicks... That's a complete "Know your Audience" fail. And another fail to add to an ever growing list.

Let's be honest right now.. And believe me, I've tried my hardest to defend, up-talk, be open minded about RTCW while remaining optimistic that you're going to pull off this AAA game that you keep quoting, but Frontier only need to share a concept image or a teaser image and it exposes this game as the complete farce it's shaping up to be... Based on what I've just seen happen with interaction, their live stream has just owned you. I wouldn't even be angry or disappointed if you pulled the game and cancelled it..

Go home Atari, Frontier have this.
I've seen one of the newer PC devblogs and honestly it doesn't feel like a new thing. it looks like a polished RCT3 blended with thrillville. and to be honest that's not something I'd want :/

AaronTuckwell
03-02-2016, 07:00 PM
I've seen one of the newer PC devblogs and honestly it doesn't feel like a new thing. it looks like a polished RCT3 blended with thrillville. and to be honest that's not something I'd want :/

I totally get where you're coming from there. I get a similar impression, but that said (and at the risk of unintentionally sounding rude), I'm sure people will be happy with whatever turd Atari churn out and label a "game" as a result.. PC seems to be ticking many more boxes for me right now.. Even if it does turn out to be a repackaged RCT3.. They know their audience better than Atari seem to right now... People are lapping up PC and there's not a lot of love for RCTW right now...

Marvin
03-02-2016, 07:07 PM

Did you see the livestream? It looks nothing like RCT3 or Thrillville. It does have the personality and charm but everything is just so much more realistic. Look at those supports, the footers, the flat rides, the bushes... everything is stunning.

I don't understand how people can say PC is cartoony. RCTW feels a lot more cartoony to me, especially with the latest screenshots we've seen. PC feels a lot newer and fresher than RCTW, but maybe it's all personal preference.

AaronTuckwell
03-02-2016, 07:15 PM
Did you see the livestream? It looks nothing like RCT3 or Thrillville. It does have the personality and charm but everything is just so much more realistic. Look at those supports, the footers, the flat rides, the bushes... everything is stunning.

I don't understand how people can say PC is cartoony. RCTW feels a lot more cartoony to me, especially with the latest screenshots we've seen. PC feels a lot newer and fresher than RCTW, but maybe it's all personal preference.

Yes!! PC Seems to have life, personality, soul, movement and fluidity.. It behaves like a real park does. Where-as RCTW seems to be completely stagnant and stale in comparison. It has it's up-sides, don't get me wrong but based on how frustrating the beta was to play and how high maintenance the game was to "play" I can't see PC being like this based on the dev blogs we've seen so far. They seem to be going for "complex simplicity" - making something absolutely amazing to look at as simply as possible, piece by piece with each piece having it's own effect physically and operationally on the peeps; as opposed to RCTW that seems to be favouring the traditional, but lazy "plop something already built down and dress it up with some trees or with something some-one more talented than you has built"

MJK1988
03-02-2016, 07:18 PM
...but maybe it's all personal preference.
Exactly. :)

I expect I'll be playing both games but style-wise I lean more towards RCTW right now. And I'm excited about the coaster designer (as that will be what I'll be doing the most).

But I'm excited about both games. But sometimes I get the feeling we all have to choose sides. But I refuse to do that. :D

Zerael
03-02-2016, 07:23 PM
Hello Piece-by-Piece Building!
http://i.imgur.com/06yTsfV.png

RCTWLemondude617
03-02-2016, 07:26 PM
Can.
A.
Community.
Manager.
100%.
Confirm.
Or.
Disconfirm.
Piece.
By.
Piece.
Building.
Please.
Thank.
You.

Deuce
03-02-2016, 07:28 PM
Can.
A.
Community.
Manager.
100%.
Confirm.
Or.
Disconfirm.
Piece.
By.
Piece.
Building.
Please.
Thank.
You.

I don't understand, in the blog they said piece by piece in a future update. Isn't that what you're asking?

Marvin
03-02-2016, 07:35 PM
Can.
A.
Community.
Manager.
100%.
Confirm.
Or.
Disconfirm.
Piece.
By.
Piece.
Building.
Please.
Thank.
You.

It won't be in the game at launch.

Casiquire
03-02-2016, 08:23 PM
Can.
A.
Community.
Manager.
100%.
Confirm.
Or.
Disconfirm.
Piece.
By.
Piece.
Building.
Please.
Thank.
You.

They did, in the very blog your comenting on. It's confirmed post-launch.

Nemmie
03-02-2016, 09:14 PM
Gotta say. That was actually a decent blogpost compared to the usual fare. I think it's the 1st time we actually got some new and solid info. More so than the last years-worth combined. is it enough though? Mention of the dark-ride system and structure building module as well as ability to vertically stack scenery is what excited me the most.

So let's see where this goes. It's still not enough to convince me but it's DEFFINEATLEY a step in the right direction. A couple of points awarded for effort. I think.

redyar
03-02-2016, 09:27 PM
This - the UGC - could be the reason, why RCTW could beat Planet Coaster over time. UGC simply is a must have!
Another thing is the multiplayer mode! Found OpenRCT2 recently and RCT multiplayer is awesome!! We need this.

Marvin
03-02-2016, 09:29 PM
This - the UGC - could be the reason, why RCTW could beat Planet Coaster over time. UGC simply is a must have!
Another thing is the multiplayer mode! Found OpenRCT2 recently and RCT multiplayer is awesome!! We need this.

Not really lol. UGC has never and will never be the most important thing in a game.

4thImpulse
03-02-2016, 09:41 PM
Not really lol. UGC has never and will never be the most important thing in a game.
Have you seen RCT2 and RCT3, Cities:Skylines, or any of the Fallout or Elder Scrolls games? Their communities have greatly increased the lifespan of the games through UGC. Sure it may not be important in first dozen hours of gameplay, but RCTWs integration with steam workshop will allow anyone to easily customize their experience with the game. These features are paramount to keeping this game alive in the long term.

Casiquire
03-02-2016, 09:51 PM
Have you seen RCT2 and RCT3, Cities:Skylines, or any of the Fallout or Elder Scrolls games? Their communities have greatly increased the lifespan of the games through UGC. Sure it may not be important in first dozen hours of gameplay, but RCTWs integration with steam workshop will allow anyone to easily customize their experience with the game. These features are paramount to keeping this game alive in the long term.

Yes, this.

Marvin
03-02-2016, 10:23 PM

But none of the matters if the game is missing crucial gameplay elements like tunnels, transport rides, stairs, color customization, dark rides, piece-by-piece building and more. UGC is definitely a bonus, but it's not the reason someone buys a game.

Look at SimCity. Beautiful game, but there were way too many issues in the game. UGC can't fix that type of stuff, no matter how hard the creators try. Even Cities: Skylines has some issues that the modders have been trying to fix but to little success. Theme Park Studio promised a bunch of UGC also but look at how that went.

All I'm saying that it's a bit ridiculous to think that UGC will be the thing that beats all the hard-work Frontier are putting into their game.

RCTW1
03-02-2016, 10:24 PM
Exactly. :)

I expect I'll be playing both games but style-wise I lean more towards RCTW right now. And I'm excited about the coaster designer (as that will be what I'll be doing the most).

But I'm excited about both games. But sometimes I get the feeling we all have to choose sides. But I refuse to do that. :D

Same here, I'm still interested in both games... and PARKITECT too.

jdavies
03-02-2016, 10:35 PM
we should be able to make money on our own content we make for the game that will be nice

4thImpulse
03-02-2016, 10:35 PM
But none of the matters if the game is missing crucial gameplay elements like tunnels, transport rides, stairs, color customization, dark rides, piece-by-piece building and more. UGC is definitely a bonus, but it's not the reason someone buys a game.

Look at SimCity. Beautiful game, but there were way too many issues in the game. UGC can't fix that type of stuff, no matter how hard the creators try. Even Cities: Skylines has some issues that the modders have been trying to fix but to little success. Theme Park Studio promised a bunch of UGC also but look at how that went.

All I'm saying that it's a bit ridiculous to think that UGC will be the thing that beats all the hard-work Frontier are putting into their game.

Well that wasn't what you initial comment suggested. You made a grand statement that UGC never has been the most important part of any game, and in the games I listed it has been the most important factor as to their lasting appeal today. At this point all we can do is assume what either games state of being will be upon release, sure we can compare promised features but we won't really know how they play until that day. So assuming both games are well playable upon release (or are soon patched), UGC will be the defining quality as to whether they last in years to come.

Casiquire
03-02-2016, 10:43 PM

That's the thing. They're saying it WON'T be missing dark rides or piece-by-piece. They're playing with a dark ride in the blog post.

Marvin
03-02-2016, 11:13 PM
Well that wasn't what you initial comment suggested. You made a grand statement that UGC never has been the most important part of any game, and in the games I listed it has been the most important factor as to their lasting appeal today. At this point all we can do is assume what either games state of being will be upon release, sure we can compare promised features but we won't really know how they play until that day. So assuming both games are well playable upon release (or are soon patched), UGC will be the defining quality as to whether they last in years to come.

And what happens if no one creates UGC content for the game? Suddenly it doesn't matter if a game supports UGC or not. That's why it's not the most important part of a game. You don't buy a tycoon game to see what other players can create; you buy a tycoon game to make your own creations, and use others to enhance your park when needed.

And just so we're clear... Frontier has said anything you make in-game will be able to be shared. They haven't yet said models from other sources are supported but they've acknowledged its importance. UGC will definitely make its way into PC.

That's the thing. They're saying it WON'T be missing dark rides or piece-by-piece. They're playing with a dark ride in the blog post.

Okay, but what about transport rides, stairs, or tunnels? UGC can't create transport rides because they require a different system that the developers have to create. UGC can't fix the stairs problems because the peeps won't have the correct animations for them. UGC can't create tunnels underground because going underground isn't possible in the game. UGC can workaround these limitations, but it can't fix or create missing features in a game. I agree that UGC is important but it can't beat a game with all of the necessary features for a theme park game.

I'm still a little confused on how the collision system relates to the dark ride system like Mattlab mentioned but we might get more info on that later.

4thImpulse
03-02-2016, 11:43 PM
And what happens if no one creates UGC content for the game? Suddenly it doesn't matter if a game supports UGC or not. That's why it's not the most important part of a game. You don't buy a tycoon game to see what other players can create; you buy a tycoon game to make your own creations, and use others to enhance your park when needed.
So what? Clearly people want to make their own content and share it around, and whether or not they will continue to do so for years is an entirely different matter. People have done so with the past RCT games, as well as many other franchises. Lack of content will only occur if the game itself is broken, and if that's the case it won't matter as no one will play it. And you've contradicted yourself in that last sentence, UGC is the ultimate customization which as you say is what people play these games for. There have also, in the past been, websites and forums devoted to sharing this content with the world, showing people what you've created. UGC is the reason people are still playing RCT2/3, Skyrim, and Fallout 3 today.

The Stig
03-03-2016, 12:52 AM
we should be able to make money on our own content we make for the game that will be nice

Turbosquid ;)

Casiquire
03-03-2016, 02:03 AM
It seriously minimizes the limitations of the game. When did I say that every single thing people think is important would be solved by UGC? On the other hand, a solid two can be crossed off the list, and possibly much more than that.

LuqqDK
03-03-2016, 03:39 AM
Alright, that sound pretty good guys, but what about the "Second beta weekend"?
No rush - my hole point is just that we got promised 2 beta weekends before release and you've been quite about this :)

Casiquire
03-03-2016, 03:45 AM
Alright, that sound pretty good guys, but what about the "Second beta weekend"?
No rush - my hole point is just that we got promised 2 beta weekends before release and you've been quite about this :)

I'd love to know about this too. Supposedly our next blog will be about the release schedule. I imagine that means a few weeks for the blog, then after a few more we'll get a beta, then a few more and we get the full launch?

KUEFC09
03-03-2016, 08:32 AM
So are we getting dark rides and transport rides eventually?

Trololiver
03-03-2016, 09:03 AM
Unfortunately RCTW just isn't up to scratch compared to Planet Coaster. This game has so many issues.. That video is so cringey with the frame rates. The coaster tracks are HUGE and nothing looks right.. it just looks weird I don't know.

Yes I also think that the tracks are way too thick...

GGD123
03-03-2016, 09:39 AM

Isn't that what we wanted? Complete freedom to build whatever we want.
I don't care if the game has no scenery or very little. I'm currently building a park in RCT3 and the only in game feature I've used so far is a path.

I'm happy with this update. Can't wait to play it myself.

Daphnir
03-03-2016, 01:46 PM
Isn't that what we wanted? Complete freedom to build whatever we want.
I don't care if the game has no scenery or very little. I'm currently building a park in RCT3 and the only in game feature I've used so far is a path.

I'm happy with this update. Can't wait to play it myself.

:rolleyes: No PBP is good for people like you how want to build Kermesse ;)Not for designer how want a nice park!

biotron2000
03-03-2016, 04:03 PM
UGC is the reason people are still playing RCT2/3, Skyrim, and Fallout 3 today.

Not so. I still play RCT3 and have never seen a need for UGC. It doesn't fit my style of play; there's no need for it.

Sawyer
03-03-2016, 05:54 PM
And I'm excited about the coaster designer (as that will be what I'll be doing the most).

You should maybe look into No Limits if that is the most you care for.

Not so. I still play RCT3 and have never seen a need for UGC. It doesn't fit my style of play; there's no need for it.

I'm with you pretty much, using the game objects is what I enjoy most.

__

This just seems to be an argument going in circles and I don't expect people to listen to me but at the end of the day... if a game isn't good then UGC won't be successful for it. Skyrim, Fallout, GTA etc have great base games to work off but I just don't see that for RCTW yet.

The Piece-by-Piece information and dark rides seem to have been thrown into a blog to make us believe that is coming because of how amazing Planet Coaster looks but RCTW is basic and flops we won't get updates, why would we?

This is just random but I think the tiny small amount of content we're getting in RCT at launch is a joke and I agree with some people in saying that they are relying on others to make the game better and that's wrong.

MJK1988
03-03-2016, 06:08 PM
You should maybe look into No Limits if that is the most you care for.
I actually tried it but I didn't think it was very easy to design coasters. The coaster designer in RCTW seems very easy.

Deuce
03-03-2016, 06:26 PM
This just seems to be an argument going in circles and I don't expect people to listen to me but at the end of the day... if a game isn't good then UGC won't be successful for it. Skyrim, Fallout, GTA etc have great base games to work off but I just don't see that for RCTW yet.

This is true, there is a precedent for this. When TPS launched it made a serious effort to be the most UGC theme park sim ever. Literally from day one you could create entire rides out of any models and animate them any way you wished. and within a few months they had particle effects (think an advanced version of the advanced RCT3 mixmaster lol), you can now create virtually anything as UGC and use it to replace what the game shipped with. It's UGC features go far beyond anything RCTW has even mentioned, let alone promised for the future.

And... The game kinda sucks ass so no one made anything much for it. In the very early days Jcat made a few bits, but it never got any momentum. The sales of that game are about equal to what RCTW has on steam as pre-orders so far - which is a reasonable comparison as most of those orders came pre-release too.

That's the thing, people don't take time out of their lives to create free sets of quality scenery just because they can. They need kudos for creating and sharing, and for that they need a very wide audience. They want to see their contributions on a 100 YouTube videos just like they did with RCT3. The base game HAS to be excellent in it's own right to encourage the masses to take it to the next level.

The Piece-by-Piece information and dark rides seem to have been thrown into a blog to make us believe that is coming because of how amazing Planet Coaster looks but RCTW is basic and flops we won't get updates, why would we?

Again, this is established by other games, in particularly every game Atari has released under it's current management structure and ownership.

On a positive note, the fact Atari do at least realise that UGC is the powerful card they're holding does at least show they're thinking along the right lines to market what they have at last. And if it is true that you can build within a UGC structure, a coaster, an entire park etc, then they have something from the get go that may stimulate people to build some really interesting things. But the game itself still has to meet a minimum level of quality. They need hundreds of thousands more sales after launch to get a community dense enough to carry the game via UGC. The game has to be good to make that happen.

This is where it all goes full circle again though. If the game itself is good, why have they shown only tiny parts of it? And only really graphical/coaster parts? There are many theories about this. The most likely is the most depressing, they aren't sharing because they don't think we'll be impressed. But it sounds like they're just about ready to kick the game out into the world anyway now, so it probably won't be very long until we have something more concrete to talk about.

Deuce
03-03-2016, 06:34 PM
I actually tried it but I didn't think it was very easy to design coasters. The coaster designer in RCTW seems very easy.

Have you tried TPS? It's not a great game, it's not really a game at all to be honest! But the coaster editor is easier than NL for most, and certainly less frustrating and more powerful than RCTW. Here is a link to a vid of the very first TPS coaster I made. It's pretty crappy in lots of ways, but it took only 20 minutes. I don't think after even several days with the RCTW beta I could equal it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr-J8VGmyMg

Please ignore the dodgy bits! It really was my first use of TPS!!

One thing I can say is that the motion of the coaster is a lot more realistic than we saw in RCTW beta (even though I rushed some inversions and they're quite rough), and also the track twists around the car's axis, not it's own axis. That alone makes the track formation much more realistic.

If you literally just want to design spaces and coasters with some complimentary scenery, it might be well worth you looking into.

Marvin
03-03-2016, 06:46 PM

This is just random but I think the tiny small amount of content we're getting in RCT at launch is a joke and I agree with some people in saying that they are relying on others to make the game better and that's wrong.

This has been the point I've been trying to make lol.

MJK1988
03-03-2016, 06:53 PM
Have you tried TPS? It's not a great game, it's not really a game at all to be honest! But the coaster editor is easier than NL for most, and certainly less frustrating and more powerful than RCTW. Here is a link to a vid of the very first TPS coaster I made. It's pretty crappy in lots of ways, but it took only 20 minutes. I don't think after even several days with the RCTW beta I could equal it.

One thing I can say is that the motion of the coaster is a lot more realistic than we saw in RCTW beta (even though I rushed some inversions and they're quite rough), and also the track twists around the car's axis, not it's own axis. That alone makes the track formation much more realistic.

If you literally just want to design spaces and coasters with some complimentary scenery, it might be well worth you looking into.
Thanks. I'll look into that. Not a bad looking coaster! :)

I do look forward to more than just the coaster designing in RCTW. It's just always has been my favorite part of the franchise.

Silvarret
03-03-2016, 07:09 PM

I need to say, for a first try in TPS, and within a time limit of 20 minutes, that is an amazing coaster.

dwwilkin
03-03-2016, 07:10 PM
Uhhh, that was a lot of info. Thanks

But the Piece by Piece component. I am stumped. If someone creates a wall set, plain wall, wall with window, wall with door, and a roof, why couldnt; this be built in to the game? Because of the snapping system that the Fences are having problems with? I of course, having urged all over the forums that you take your time, would urge that the game wait until that is solved, and then release the game, and do so with several sets of walls so we can build our Main Streets to our hearts content. At least a set that matches the Park Entrance. Thus Nvizzio should make those elements in the game scenery set to build and beat the other guys to the punch!

Deuce
03-03-2016, 07:33 PM
I need to say, for a first try in TPS, and within a time limit of 20 minutes, that is an amazing coaster.

Thanks!

It's really a decent coaster builder. But you would have to not care about anything else other than building (with no game mechanics at all really) to keep going with that game.

The second and last coaster I started was this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rz-5Zbnga8

A 'very basic' approximation of The Smiler. The lifts are all wrong as they didn't have chain on the correct track type back then. It's a bit smoother than the first attempt though!

Getting back to RCTW, given that TPS at least made a very easy to use and precise spline based coaster, I never understood why RCTW didn't just do something similar? Graphically it's easily as good as RCTW coaster, the supports are OK too. And with regard to physics and usability and potential it's quite a bit better. I really get the impression Atari skimped on research, as this was available for an example of a good working system all along. Just simple stuff like node adjustment using sliders rather than mouse dragging makes life easier.

In 20 mins first time with RCTW coaster builder, you have just about got the hang of how to defeat it fighting against you lol - that's not really great.

Prody67
03-03-2016, 07:40 PM
Awesome, that's what we wanted to hear, great clips guys!

Sawyer
03-03-2016, 08:33 PM

It's worth investing time into, nothing can touch it for the coaster experience! :D

Sawyer
03-03-2016, 08:35 PM
I am stumped. If someone creates a wall set, plain wall, wall with window, wall with door, and a roof, why couldnt; this be built in to the game?

This long in development and no building editor in the game is the most shocking thing to me about RCTW!

DistortAMG
03-04-2016, 07:20 AM
How can people overlook this big crucial fact when it comes to UGC

Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 was hugely successful with UGC. Despite it not being officially supported. RCT3 was made by Frontier in their own in house excellent Cobra engine.

Planet Coaster is also made by Frontier, in the same albeit updated Cobra engine. PC will have UGC, supported or un supported, it will have it.

People who say that a games success is dependant on UGC are talking absolute rubbish. It can extend the life of a game yes, but people are only going to spend time creating content for a game that is popular and people play. No one is going to spend days of their lives making content for games that no one plays. The base game needs to be good for people to play it. Exactly like RCT3 was and PC will be. RCT3 was hugely successful, this is why modders spent ages and ages reverse engineering aspects of the game, creating mod tools so that they could put UGC into the game.

Mattlab thinks he has released the smoking gun, the game is crap. Reviewers have called it crap, That's that. Not their fault its Ataris fault. No offence but your studio should be developing mobile games, not AAA titles. It clearly shows in your work why. No offence intended, but your studio quite simply does not have the talent to pull this off, even more so now that your placed head to head with the big guns, aka Frontier.

The fact you are using a very flexible and user friendly engine shows you do not have the skills. Unity is good, its a great engine in fact for ease of use. It is not good for large triple A titles though that need every gram of performance. It is exactly like programming, the higher level of language you write your code in, the less speed that code will execute in. You have sacrificed quite a bit of performance by using Unity. There is a reason why there are literally ZERO triple A titles developed in Unity, performance! This is also assuming that triple A titles are large, demanding games, which generally they are. RCTW will be demanding too, especially with large parks with lots of peeps, scenery and rides.

Most large games and engines are written in C++ giving high level functionality with low level speed. Unity is most certainly written in C++ but your game wont be, it will be C# at best. It is not the fastest language on the planet and it manages it own memory and garbage collection, great for armature developers as it comes at a great cost of speed. Non of these are issues though if you are developing mobile, indie and small / not demanding games. In fact they speed the process up greatly without seeing performance hits.

Even Cities Skylines performance is not great, that was built in Unity. The performance of your beta was crap.

I have tried to give this game a chance, I will probably still buy it. But quite clearly, Atari has only refreshed this title to make a quick buck with as little a financial outlay as possible.

rctworld
03-04-2016, 07:34 AM
Hopefully they postpone it to Dec 2016! So much work to do.

Sawyer
03-04-2016, 08:42 AM
Hopefully they postpone it to Dec 2016! So much work to do.

What do you think they could fix, I agree with you by the way it shouldn't come out like this but what do you think, it's just they have so long and don't seem to have done much apart from make the visuals more vibrant.

Deuce
03-04-2016, 08:50 AM
Just realized - the old box art that Mattlab assured us would be taken down immediately, is still used in the pop-up poster behind where they're sat in this video!

On the basis that Mattlab can be trusted when it comes to copyright infringement, this video must be really old!

geoffersh
03-04-2016, 09:04 AM

And just so we're clear... Frontier has said anything you make in-game will be able to be shared. They haven't yet said models from other sources are supported but they've acknowledged its importance. UGC will definitely make its way into PC.

Okay, but what about transport rides, stairs, or tunnels? UGC can't create transport rides because they require a different system that the developers have to create. UGC can't fix the stairs problems because the peeps won't have the correct animations for them. UGC can't create tunnels underground because going underground isn't possible in the game. UGC can workaround these limitations, but it can't fix or create missing features in a game. I agree that UGC is important but it can't beat a game with all of the necessary features for a theme park game.

I'm still a little confused on how the collision system relates to the dark ride system like Mattlab mentioned but we might get more info on that later.

Matlab also said "Our next blog will be about the schedule and the launch date. See you soon!"

So we are going to get the game soon, as it stands, with nothing except what's already in the game, because Atari are letting you develop the game with UGC. From what I can gather, Atari have been struggling with this game since the Beta and to be honest, I think they will just be glad to get it out as soon as possible. Atari already know that Frontier are light years ahead with their game PC and they also know that they cannot really compete in quite a lot of areas. Landscaping Tools, that are worse than those in RCT3. No decent movement animation of the Peeps, that show emotions. Ready built coaster stations, that all look the same and can't be altered for length. Without a good basic foundation to the game, what is the point of people taking the trouble to add any decent UGC to create, say a different Park Entrance. You can't because you are stuck with the same looking Park Entrance for every park you build. No variety whatsoever. To be honest, I think Atari will wash it's hands of the is game, once they have released it and just leave it to develop with UGC. I just can't see Atari spending any more time and money developing this game at all. They can't even make a decent game for the launch, with half the basic stuff missing from the game like Transport Rides, Water Rides. At least you had all these when RCT3 was first launched. Atari are just giving us half a game because they just can't be bothered to develop it any more and they are just hoping to sell as many copies as they can, to reap their money back. I think we have all been sold a damp squib with this game.

Sawyer
03-04-2016, 09:28 AM
I just can't see Atari spending any more time and money developing this game at all.

I agree, once this game comes out they won't touch it again.

geoffersh
03-04-2016, 10:23 AM
I agree, once this game comes out they won't touch it again.

Ha ha! Can you imagine. Atari are finally giving you the game YOU have all been waiting for RCTW. We have decided rather than develop the game any further, we are going to let YOU finish the game, by allowing you to make your own UGC. We have decided that YOU will be able to create and design your parks, much better than we can. So build to your hearts content, the park of your dreams. :D

tangomango
03-04-2016, 12:05 PM
Ha ha! Can you imagine. Atari are finally giving you the game YOU have all been waiting for RCTW. We have decided rather than develop the game any further, we are going to let YOU finish the game, by allowing you to make your own UGC. We have decided that YOU will be able to create and design your parks, much better than we can. So build to your hearts content, the park of your dreams. :D
This is so backwards its not funny. They saw how people played the past games for the last decade, decided it was important to encourage UGC, so what they did was make it easily accessible for anyone with the steam workshop. I commend them for the addition of these features, they could have never made enough content in comparison to what the community might make in the years ahead. And from what I've seen they haven't gone light in the scenery department, not heavy mind you but certainly not light.

When you look at a photo editing software do you think "why have they spent so much time giving me tools to edit my own photos rather just editing them for me?".

geoffersh
03-04-2016, 12:22 PM
The game lacks so many features that have already been mentioned, that it won't make it any better with UGC, because the whole framwork of the game won't allow new coaster stations to be built. You are stuck with what Atari gave you. I thought this game might have been so much better than its turned out to be. Too be honest it is worse that RCT3. At least with that game, you could do lots with it without UGC, but this game is missing so much it's a joke.

korebreach08
03-04-2016, 12:48 PM
Over in my thread in the General Discussion section ("Explaining Piece-By-Piece Building...") Mattlab dropped by with some information that expands on the latest video. His comments confirmed something that has been rather fuzzy before. According to Mattlab, you CAN use the UGC system to create scenery objects that can be used like PBP building. The video didn't show any capability to "stack" UGC items, which would be necessary to use UGC like PBP. However, he confirms that this is possible. This opens up the possibilities for people who can handle the difficulty of using Unity to create PBP building sets, similar to what is available in PC, and share them with the community so they can do PBP. I see this as a huge deal if it works as advertised.

Theoretically, if clipping isn't an issue, you can also approximate the nice terrain features of PC with UGC as well. That is, if you wanted to put a tunnel through a mountain, you could cheat and remove part of the mountain, replacing it with a UGC mountain, and run your ride through that.

Ignoring the mostly-agreed-upon visual superiority of PC over RCTW, the building issue then becomes a trade-off between freedom of expression (Can I make anything I want?) vs. difficulty (Do I have to become a 3D artist to make what I want?). I think that each of us falls somewhere different on that scale. Doing PBP with user-generated UGC is a huge step in the right direction for those who don't want to become 3D artists.

Marvin
03-04-2016, 12:55 PM
So basically, the players have to finish a game the developers couldn't.

Pathetic. I could understand if this was some cheap game but when it's promoted as a AAA title and costs $50, there's no reason why we should have to look for UGC to have a complete game. Absolutely ridiculous.

tangomango
03-04-2016, 12:58 PM
The game lacks so many features that have already been mentioned, that it won't make it any better with UGC, because the whole framwork of the game won't allow new coaster stations to be built. You are stuck with what Atari gave you. I thought this game might have been so much better than its turned out to be. Too be honest it is worse that RCT3. At least with that game, you could do lots with it without UGC, but this game is missing so much it's a joke.

And that's not topic at discussion here. This blog post is about the new UGC features for the game, and you haven't made any reasonable argument on how these features should not be welcomed. Just because the rest of the game may be lacking to your standards has no affect on whether this UGC support is good. I'm not saying you should see the whole game as good because of this one feature, but give credit where credit is due. Steam workshop integration and the features surrounding UGC are the best amongst the competition, from what we've seen so far.

korebreach08
03-04-2016, 12:59 PM
@Marvin: I think that statement is absolutely ridiculous.

No game would ever have every object ever imaginable included. (Reminds me of the old April Fools joke that Google played a few years back saying that you could get every YouTube video ever made delivered to your house on DVD... with a fleet of semi trucks (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_UmWdcTrrc)). What made RCT3 great was the fact that you could extend it with scenery created by the end user. Same thing here. They give you some "in the box", and the community takes it from there.

Yeah... there are still some limitations, like making things other than scenery.

Marvin
03-04-2016, 01:00 PM
And that's not topic at discussion here. This blog post is about the new UGC features for the game, and you haven't made any reasonable argument on how these features should not be welcomed. Just because the rest of the game may be lacking to your standards has no affect on whether this UGC support is good. I'm not saying you should see the whole game as good because of this one feature, but give credit where credit is due. Steam workshop integration and the features surrounding UGC are the best amongst the competition, from what we've seen so far.

UGC support is always good but no one will care or use it if the game sucks. A game that lacks tons of features won't be very fun to play, with or without UGC.

Marvin
03-04-2016, 01:06 PM
@Marvin: I think that statement is absolutely ridiculous.

No game would ever have every object ever imaginable included. (Reminds me of the old April Fools joke that Google played a few years back saying that you could get every YouTube video ever made delivered to your house on DVD... with a fleet of semi trucks). What made RCT3 great was the fact that you could extend it with scenery created by the end user. Same thing here. They give you some "in the box", and the community takes it from there.

They're not even giving us transport rides. No water rides. No stairs. We can't change the color of the flat rides. Are you trying to tell me that's acceptable and fine because we have UGC? I personally don't think it is. We're getting way less content in-game than RCT3. That's ridiculous. I mostly play RCT3 without any custom content and it's still a great game.

They're depending on the players to create more assets and content that the developers couldn't. If a piece-by-piece system is already possible like Mattlab seems to be saying, why isn't it already in the game? We shouldn't have to use UGC for basic stuff like this.

korebreach08
03-04-2016, 01:14 PM
They're not even giving us transport rides. No water rides. No stairs. We can't change the color of the flat rides. Are you trying to tell me that's acceptable and fine because we have UGC? I personally don't think it is. We're getting way less content in-game than RCT3. That's ridiculous. I mostly play RCT3 without any custom content and it's still a great game.

They're depending on the players to create more assets and content that the developers couldn't. If a piece-by-piece system is already possible like Mattlab seems to be saying, why isn't it already in the game? We shouldn't have to use UGC for basic stuff like this.

You are correct. My comments were on what UGC and PBP can accomplish, not about the overall limits of the game. Yeah, there is a whole lot to complain about, and there are other threads on that. I stick around here because I care about RCTW and hope for success, even though I got a refund and purchased Planet Coaster Early Bird. As far as the UGC discussion, however, I stick by my comments that the end-user content is a big deal, and is one system that any good game needs to have.

tangomango
03-04-2016, 01:46 PM
UGC support is always good but no one will care or use it if the game sucks. A game that lacks tons of features won't be very fun to play, with or without UGC.

Don't you get it though? This thread is about the specific features of UGC and not the game as a whole. These comments of yours I see almost as trolling, they are off topic regardless if they are true or not. There are plenty of other threads for this discussion but here is not one of them, in my opinion. So what do you really think of this UGC system they have created? Where do you want its potential taken in the hopeful future updates? This what we should be discussing here, not repeating blanket statements such as "So basically, the players have to finish a game the developers couldn't" (Marvin).

korebreach08
03-04-2016, 02:07 PM
3565 Woot!!!! UGC / PBP, with paths (no clipping) and stacking confirmed.

Kombiice
03-04-2016, 04:43 PM
3565 Woot!!!! UGC / PBP, with paths (no clipping) and stacking confirmed.

Source ?? Thats so amazinh

ddrplaya4638
03-04-2016, 04:48 PM
Source ?? Thats so amazinh

That came from Matt Kombiice

geoffersh
03-04-2016, 05:02 PM
Don't you get it though? This thread is about the specific features of UGC and not the game as a whole. These comments of yours I see almost as trolling, they are off topic regardless if they are true or not. There are plenty of other threads for this discussion but here is not one of them, in my opinion. So what do you really think of this UGC system they have created? Where do you want its potential taken in the hopeful future updates? This what we should be discussing here, not repeating blanket statements such as "So basically, the players have to finish a game the developers couldn't" (Marvin).

I think the UGC system they have created is great, but how many people are going to spend their time creating it, if the base game lacks so many features. As Marvin said earlier, Rct3 was released as a complete game, with everything needed so you could build decent parks. It was then further enhanced with Soaked & Wild expansion packs (all from the developer) which alowed underground coasters to be built. That was before UGC came on the scene for Rct3.
RCTW won't allow you do do anything without UGC, because Atari just couldn't be bothered to put any more development into the game, This just proves that Atari have lost interest in this game and will just leave it as it is. They aren't going to spend tens of thousands of bucks, putting anything else into the game, because they would have at least finished this game with all that Rct3 had at the beginning.
This is no where near a AAA game and if you think Atari is going to keep developing it, then you are living in hope. It's been a nightmare of a game for Atari with all the bad comments. I think they will be glad to get it out of the way and leave everyone to it. That is why they are giving the game UGC, but that won't make much difference, because the base game has nothing to offer..

Kombiice
03-04-2016, 05:08 PM
That came from Matt Kombiice

Found it thanks! So awesome

TheMagicianThing
03-04-2016, 05:08 PM
I think the UGC system they have created is great, but how many people are going to spend their time creating it, if the base game lacks so many features. As Marvin said earlier, Rct3 was released as a complete game, with everything needed so you could build decent parks. It was then further enhanced with Soaked & Wild expansion packs (all from the developer) which alowed underground coasters to be built. That was before UGC came on the scene for Rct3.
RCTW won't allow you do do anything without UGC, because Atari just couldn't be bothered to put any more development into the game, This just proves that Atari have lost interest in this game and will just leave it as it is. They aren't going to spend tens of thousands of bucks, putting anything else into the game, because they would have at least finished this game with all that Rct3 had at the beginning.
This is no where near a AAA game and if you think Atari is going to keep developing it, then you are living in hope. It's been a nightmare of a game for Atari with all the bad comments. I think they will be glad to get it out of the way and leave everyone to it. That is why they are giving the game UGC, but that won't make much difference, because the base game has nothing to offer..
speculations, pure and utter speculations. if I'm correct in other threads we already established future updates will come including content :/

geoffersh
03-04-2016, 05:20 PM
speculations, pure and utter speculations. if I'm correct in other threads we already established future updates will come including content :/
If you believe Atari you will believe anything. Atari won't waste any more money developing this game. It's cost them dear already. They know already they have lost the plot.

tangomango
03-04-2016, 05:24 PM

That's a lot of speculation and false statements right there! But lets look at that last sentence as I think its a fine summary of your post "the base game has nothing to offer". You really think the base game has nothing to offer? What I've seen so far is decent coaster builder for the casual crowd, an updated path system for greater creativity, some good looking flat rides and scenery pieces, and a strong willingness from the team to correct mistakes and improve features. Obviously its missing some much desired features, and I don't mean to underplay that. But you are right now so blinded by that disdain that its no surprise you can't stay on topic without devolving into a rant.

Sawyer
03-04-2016, 05:28 PM
How about for this £29.99 game, we give you £19.99 then the rest when you add the rest? Fair deal if you ask me...

Casiquire
03-04-2016, 05:31 PM
@Tangomamgo Agreed.

I also grow tired of the argument that nobody will build UGC for the game. Really now. I'm the only person here who's aware of how much free 3d content is out there, requiring no building at all, just scaling?

TheMagicianThing
03-04-2016, 05:37 PM
That's a lot of speculation and false statements right there! But lets look at that last sentence as I think its a fine summary of your post "the base game has nothing to offer". You really think the base game has nothing to offer? What I've seen so far is decent coaster builder for the casual crowd, an updated path system for greater creativity, some good looking flat rides and scenery pieces, and a strong willingness from the team to correct mistakes and improve features. Obviously its missing some much desired features, and I don't mean to underplay that. But you are right now so blinded by that disdain that its no surprise you can't stay on topic without devolving into a rant.
I agree, it's gonna be up to nvizzio and the fans to make the content for us, which I believe they will.

If you believe Atari you will believe anything. Atari won't waste any more money developing this game. It's cost them dear already. They know already they have lost the plot.
it's not a pissing match man. with your logic the creators of the oculus rift can pack their bags and leave which also means stopping any support just cause valve and HTC made HTC vive. oculus would suppor their customers either way (just an example, but still)

TheMagicianThing
03-04-2016, 05:39 PM
How about for this £29.99 game, we give you £19.99 then the rest when you add the rest? Fair deal if you ask me...
hey :3 for fallout 4 you pay 60 euro, and for extra you have to pay 30 euro for the season pass. that's todays set on marketing games sadly. same goes for many developers :(

Sawyer
03-04-2016, 05:54 PM
hey :3 for fallout 4 you pay 60 euro, and for extra you have to pay 30 euro for the season pass. that's todays set on marketing games sadly. same goes for many developers :(

I get you man :( Fallout 4 had a giant base game though! Star Wars on the other hand...

Indominus
03-04-2016, 06:11 PM
'This is just the beginning'
Seriously how many times is Mattlab gonna say this

TheMagicianThing
03-04-2016, 06:20 PM
'This is just the beginning'
Seriously how many times is Mattlab gonna say this
cause it is? how more literal can it be, they will be implementing more stuff

Marvin
03-04-2016, 06:33 PM

There's really no guarantee for that to be honest. Look at SimCity - it was supported for less than a year and I bet there was a way bigger fanbase with that game. If the game isn't successful, they won't continue to support it. That goes for any company or game, not just this one.

I really fear that this game will underperform and they'll leave it to UGC to fix anything that's wrong with the game. They're talking about the UGC way too much. YES it is a great feature but there has to be more to talk about.

How do you know we're really gonna get transport rides or water rides?

Deuce
03-04-2016, 06:45 PM

The problem is, they said the exact same about missing features in Test Drive and Alone In The Dark.

That doesn't mean it won't happen this time... but it does mean it would be a bit short sighted to assume it will, just because that's what they say.

My way of looking at it is this: If they are really committed about delivering all this stuff after launch, they would have been committed enough to get it ready in time for launch. It's not as if they couldn't work out people might expect the same basic features as the previous game, 12 years ago. stuff has been left out to save money, so I imagine it's entirely down to sales performance as to whether the remaining content and features will ever become reality. On that basis, I think it's important to judge the quality of what we're getting on it's own merits. It will have to be a success based on whatever it ships with if they're going to keep working on it.

0BobTheJanitor
03-05-2016, 01:41 AM
There's really no guarantee for that to be honest. Look at SimCity - it was supported for less than a year and I bet there was a way bigger fanbase with that game. If the game isn't successful, they won't continue to support it. That goes for any company or game, not just this one.

I was going to say that it was more than a year, but... it wasn't... Wow, time flies, it feels like last year that game came out :eek:.

But that's the truth, if people don't like a game there is no reason to continue supporting the product, because why support a dead product? However, they did technically promise support post-launch, so I believe it'd be illegal not to. Still, wanting a better product at launch is not stupid. A finished product is a guarantee that what you see is what you will get; there is no guarantee that future updates will be to your liking.

DMB1985
03-05-2016, 05:51 AM
@Tangomamgo Agreed.

I also grow tired of the argument that nobody will build UGC for the game. Really now. I'm the only person here who's aware of how much free 3d content is out there, requiring no building at all, just scaling?

If the game is poor, do you really think people will spend their time making items for the game, or even scaling existing items? I can't see it. People don't want to spend their time making or altering items for a game that people don't like and aren't playing.

Sawyer
03-05-2016, 08:18 AM
However, they did technically promise support post-launch, so I believe it'd be illegal not to.

We was promised BETA 2 because, y'know... we paid for it.

S1m0nde
03-05-2016, 09:27 AM
We was promised BETA 2 because, y'know... we paid for it.

Don´t know about you, but I paid for the game. I was promised two betas but I didn´t pay the beta. Just paid the game. We don´t pay more because we get a beta.. Let´s see if another will come. I hope for it. If not and the release will come, I´m glad to play the full game. No reason to cry for me!

Sawyer
03-05-2016, 02:41 PM
Don´t know about you, but I paid for the game. I was promised two betas but I didn´t pay the beta. Just paid the game. We don´t pay more because we get a beta.. Let´s see if another will come. I hope for it. If not and the release will come, I´m glad to play the full game. No reason to cry for me!

I think like, if they can let random people play it at a public event... we should get something.

Hanazakari86
03-05-2016, 03:39 PM
if the possibilities are endless as you guys are saying!! Can we get the the rollercoaster track inside a mountain ??

Airboss
03-05-2016, 03:52 PM
Awesome!!! I can just imagine how easy it would be to google something then get it in the game!! I can google airplane model and import it into Unity, then import it into the game! I am so excited for this! Where will the plugin be?

dwwilkin
03-05-2016, 04:17 PM
if the possibilities are endless as you guys are saying!! Can we get the the rollercoaster track inside a mountain ??

Perhaps if the mountain was UGC and you allocated a tunnel area for it that you then send the coaster piece thru? Remember that the UGC is an outside of the game piece, and the plan at release is that the Terrain in game wont support the collision of a coaster with the land, so no raising a mountain and making the coaster go into the land (Unlike RCT3 where at first you had to change one of the parameters from 0 to 1 (or vicea versa) to allow for collision of land and coaster. (Later when Soaked came out, this was fixed so that we could point the coaster at the ground and make the coaster go into the ground and create a tunnel)

But now, as we have talked it through, why not make a piece of terrain outside, and then drop it in through UGC? If I can think of a model train analogy, there are those who use paper mache and build up a hill in their table and have tunnels going through it. But then the local train store also sells a premade simple tunnel designed for the track at the bottom and the train to go through, and modeled on the outside with rocks and rough land.

So something like that

Lettuce
03-05-2016, 06:43 PM
Perhaps if the mountain was UGC and you allocated a tunnel area for it that you then send the coaster piece thru? Remember that the UGC is an outside of the game piece, and the plan at release is that the Terrain in game wont support the collision of a coaster with the land, so no raising a mountain and making the coaster go into the land (Unlike RCT3 where at first you had to change one of the parameters from 0 to 1 (or vicea versa) to allow for collision of land and coaster. (Later when Soaked came out, this was fixed so that we could point the coaster at the ground and make the coaster go into the ground and create a tunnel)

But now, as we have talked it through, why not make a piece of terrain outside, and then drop it in through UGC? If I can think of a model train analogy, there are those who use paper mache and build up a hill in their table and have tunnels going through it. But then the local train store also sells a premade simple tunnel designed for the track at the bottom and the train to go through, and modeled on the outside with rocks and rough land.

So something like that
This would solve the no tunnels at launch. I think it would work as long as the hit boxes for items are small enough.

Airboss
03-06-2016, 01:25 PM
This would solve the no tunnels at launch. I think it would work as long as the hit boxes for items are small enough.
I hope we can do this!! In the PC Dev Diary, that arrow coaster that went underground looked soo cool! Building underground coasters in NL2 is awesome.. I hope we can do this in RCTW!

Casiquire
03-06-2016, 02:59 PM
If the game is poor, do you really think people will spend their time making items for the game, or even scaling existing items? I can't see it. People don't want to spend their time making or altering items for a game that people don't like and aren't playing.

You missed my point.

DMB1985
03-06-2016, 04:04 PM
You missed my point.

So what was your point then?

Casiquire
03-06-2016, 04:39 PM
That you don't need to do any building at all. There's a ton of free stuff already out there.

Wabigbear
03-06-2016, 04:57 PM
@Tangomamgo Agreed.

That's indeed true. But also think, even with all that, how many people have just scaled those items and put them into TPS?

A few, certainly, but not on the scale that one would think would be possible with all that free 3d content.

I think it's mainly because the interest in TPS just isn't there, and there just isn't the number of players willing to take the time. The success in RCTw is going to depend in large part on the ease of importing, and the number of people interested in doing so. Undoubtedly more people will try RCTw than played TPS. But even so, if there aren't the base number of people willing to take the time from the start to bring in UGC, then even fewer people will be moved to do so themselves later on after.

I don't think there's any guarantee either way yet, we'll just have to see what happens when the game comes out

Casiquire
03-06-2016, 05:08 PM
That's indeed true. But also think, even with all that, how many people have just scaled those items and put them into TPS?

A few, certainly, but not on the scale that one would think would be possible with all that free 3d content.

I think it's mainly because the interest in TPS just isn't there, and there just isn't the number of players willing to take the time. The success in RCTw is going to depend in large part on the ease of importing, and the number of people interested in doing so. Undoubtedly more people will try RCTw than played TPS. But even so, if there aren't the base number of people willing to take the time from the start to bring in UGC, then even fewer people will be moved to do so themselves later on after.

I don't think there's any guarantee either way yet, we'll just have to see what happens when the game comes out

I'm not really comparing TPS with RCTW. Even if RCTW is considered a flop, the difference in number of people playing it will be massive.

DMB1985
03-06-2016, 05:17 PM
That you don't need to do any building at all. There's a ton of free stuff already out there.

And that doesn't change the fact that if the game isn't very good, people won't bother scaling these items to fit in RCTW.

TheMagicianThing
03-06-2016, 06:01 PM
And that doesn't change the fact that if the game isn't very good, people won't bother scaling these items to fit in RCTW.
I personally think people who don't care either way will :)

Casiquire
03-06-2016, 07:36 PM

Scaling is rather simple. Still not worried about it!

Deuce
03-06-2016, 07:40 PM
Scaling is rather simple. Still not worried about it!

It's not for many people though. I use AutoCAD each day, and occasionally Max, so I fully understand it's not *difficult*, but it's all relative. Most kids buying this game just want a game - don't you agree it has to be 100% good/AAA/best RCT yet, if it's going to do well?

Casiquire
03-06-2016, 08:37 PM
It's not for many people though. I use AutoCAD each day, and occasionally Max, so I fully understand it's not *difficult*, but it's all relative. Most kids buying this game just want a game - don't you agree it has to be 100% good/AAA/best RCT yet, if it's going to do well?

To do well? Not at all. To please the people in these and other similar forums? Maybe, but there are many who still wouldn't be pleased.

Deuce
03-06-2016, 08:40 PM
To do well? Not at all. To please the people in these and other similar forums? Maybe, but there are many who still wouldn't be pleased.

So you're saying that RCTW doesn't have to be high quality and better than previous RCT games to do well?

Obviously I understand that the relative few of us that bother with this forum are the hardest please lol, but surely you think the base game has to be good to be successful in general? There are so many examples of old chart topping franchises that bombed when they were updated badly.

Casiquire
03-07-2016, 01:46 AM
So you're saying that RCTW doesn't have to be high quality and better than previous RCT games to do well?

Obviously I understand that the relative few of us that bother with this forum are the hardest please lol, but surely you think the base game has to be good to be successful in general? There are so many examples of old chart topping franchises that bombed when they were updated badly.

No, I think it just has to be a decent game that looks nice and is fun to play. I don't think it has to be 100% good amazing AAA miracle game. Having said that, the game appears to be shaping up to be better than decent, it's looking better every day.

Deuce
03-07-2016, 06:46 AM
No, I think it just has to be a decent game that looks nice and is fun to play. I don't think it has to be 100% good amazing AAA miracle game. Having said that, the game appears to be shaping up to be better than decent, it's looking better every day.

I suppose my issue is that RCTW was announced (and as such, sold) as AAA and the best RCT yet, so it should matter very much to anyone who cares about which sort of company they give their money too.

But I can also see, that if you just love these type of games then you would be happy to buy, even if the quality does fall short of ideal levels.

I'm not so sure if it's shaping up better than expected or not to be honest. I still haven't seen anything new to judge that on! I saw the guy on FB saying it was a lot better which in encouraging, but also just a single persons view. I wish there was more to go on!

Daniel_SS101
03-10-2016, 12:58 AM
Can't wait for the next blog!!! release date! XD when is the release date for the next blog, so we can know the release date for the game? XD :D

geoffersh
03-10-2016, 08:16 AM
Can't wait for the next blog!!! release date! XD when is the release date for the next blog, so we can know the release date for the game? XD :D
When Atari decides to show one. They are experts at keeping every one in the dark.

BeachyBoy
03-11-2016, 01:33 PM
When Atari decides to show one. They are experts at keeping every one in the dark.

Don't we all know xD

geoffersh
03-11-2016, 01:57 PM
Is RCTW full of DARK rides we know nothing about? Because we are still left in the Dark as to what is happening with this game.

dwwilkin
03-11-2016, 02:01 PM
The UGC information confirms this to an extent. With that, we learned that we could do PbP. With the right wall sets and roof sets, we should have Dark Ride functionality like we had in RCT3. build a structure around your track and you faux up a Dark Ride.

Marvin
03-11-2016, 02:07 PM
It's sad how in 12 years, there has been no advancement in the dark ride system. Still having to rely on UGC to create a dark room, custom tracks, animatronics, etc. The peeps won't even react to their surroundings.

Just disappointing.

TheCoasterKing
03-13-2016, 10:31 AM
what do you guys think of this? I've not finished it yet, still got to give it some textures :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r80cLugJhXQ

dwwilkin
03-13-2016, 12:10 PM
With UGC like that for us to do PbP creation in our parks, their might be hope to make this a more than 10 minute game... Great work!

The Stig
03-14-2016, 07:16 PM
what do you guys think of this? I've not finished it yet, still got to give it some textures :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r80cLugJhXQ

That looks great! I like how you made the windows reflective.

AtiTech
03-15-2016, 01:22 PM
looks promising yes

Mattlab
03-15-2016, 08:22 PM
Hi all,

Just a quick hello from GDC! We know you have a lot of questions regarding the game and the release timeline and we will have answers soon! We know we have been relatively quiet lately and this is due to continued work on polish, optimizations, and bugs (we are still working on this before we announce further news)! That said, our testers have been up to some awesome stuff and we wanted to take a break from GDC to post this cool screenshot from one of their test parks that just came in.

Per tester feedback removed the requirement for collision boxes from our UGC system and this has allowed our testers to mix UGC with in-game buildings! This means you can not only import awesome things but if you want to put it over or around current in-game objects you can! So in this picture one of our testers built a building that surrounds a few of our shops allowing his UGC to look like its part of the simulation! The entire building is custom built using UGC pieces!

Side note - this is from a development build on a mid-range test machine where the graphics are not turned up and this shot is not in 4K but we still wanted to post (bugs and all)! Looks like one kid snuck past the minimum height requirement for example (still working on scaling feedback)!

http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/UGC-Shot-No-Collision.jpg

BernyMoon
03-15-2016, 08:35 PM
Hi all,

Just a quick hello from GDC! We know you have a lot of questions regarding the game and the release timeline and we will have answers soon! We know we have been relatively quiet lately and this is due to continued work on polish, optimizations, and bugs (we are still working on this before we announce further news)! That said, our testers have been up to some awesome stuff and we wanted to take a break from GDC to post this cool screenshot from one of their test parks that just came in.

Per tester feedback removed the requirement for collision boxes from our UGC system and this has allowed our testers to mix UGC with in-game buildings! This means you can not only import awesome things but if you want to put it over or around current in-game objects you can! So in this picture one of our testers built a building that surrounds a few of our shops allowing his UGC to look like its part of the simulation! The entire building is custom built using UGC pieces!

Side note - this is from a development build on a mid-range test machine where the graphics are not turned up and this shot is not in 4K but we still wanted to post (bugs and all)! Looks like one kid snuck past the minimum height requirement for example (still working on scaling feedback)!

http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/UGC-Shot-No-Collision.jpg

Thank you for the news and the pic, Mat.

dwwilkin
03-15-2016, 09:19 PM
That is awesome looking. Will those pieces be available to all of us when the game is released?

inspectorgadget
03-15-2016, 10:58 PM
Hi all,

Is this 'awesome' screenshot the week's big news? Will Nook be live streaming the PC alpha next week? :cool:

Marvin
03-15-2016, 11:26 PM
So... was that the exciting news for this week?

MJK1988
03-16-2016, 02:13 AM
So... was that the exciting news for this week?
No.

i think this actually looks really nice. Am I right to assume we can join different pieces of scenery together now? For example, can we put two pieces of rock scenery together to create one unique rock?

Kombiice
03-16-2016, 02:16 AM
Whoah thats too awesome! Looks even on a mid rangr pc nice!

AtiTech
03-16-2016, 03:48 AM
so it looks like we can make a custom stall that is awesome thanks mattlab

RCTFan
03-16-2016, 04:13 AM
Perfect!! This pic is very important!!

Deuce
03-16-2016, 05:32 AM
so it looks like we can make a custom stall that is awesome thanks mattlab

A custom stall would be just an unthemed stall that you could clad in a bee bits of scenery. Putting a 2 storey building over a pre themed stall to hide the massive sign is really just a workaround. The biggest concern about UGC in this game is that they want us to use it to 'fix' stuff we should just have by default.

Also good to see a peep stood next to a counter at last. Does show how far off the scaling is though. And good to hear Mattlab finally say they're addressing the scaling issue rather than pretend it's just 'perspective..'

Big_Boy
03-16-2016, 05:36 AM
does look verry good already, so nice !

Nemmie
03-16-2016, 05:55 AM
I have to say, that's the best shot I've seen so far. The thing that makes it is the building. It actually looks like a park and gives it character.
And let's face it, however good it is, it's actually a mediocre building when you look at it, but it looks great.
This just smacks it home just how important a structure building system is in game. Even if the game ships with this building set, and maybe a couple of others, it could massively help to change peoples' perception of the game. And because the building looks so nice, the attention is taken away from other issues in the shot which are normally the subject of discussion.
And soon, let's hope we we stop hearing "soon" all the time.

Wabigbear
03-16-2016, 07:34 AM
A custom stall would be just an unthemed stall that you could clad in a bee bits of scenery. Putting a 2 storey building over a pre themed stall to hide the massive sign is really just a workaround. The biggest concern about UGC in this game is that they want us to use it to 'fix' stuff we should just have by default.

Also good to see a peep stood next to a counter at last. Does show how far off the scaling is though. And good to hear Mattlab finally say they're addressing the scaling issue rather than pretend it's just 'perspective..'

But in all fairness this is EXACTLY the same 'fix' we used for all three of the previous games until we had the ability to import our own custom stalls in RCT3 years after it was released.

While I would also like there to be a generic version without the giant toppers, I'm not exactly sure what you think needs to be 'fixed'? They are providing pre-mades. Hopefully they'll decide to include a generic one, and supposedly we'll have the ability to make our own shops. Exactly what more is it that you are demanding? While I think that there should be a sufficient number of assets to justify the games price, they ARE giving us the tools to create our own, so I'd imagine they are trying to provide a basic collection to use right out of the box until UGC gets rolling or enough for those who aren't into downloading UGC to build with.

The scaling looks to me to be improved to a certain degree. Can't tell if the peep in question is an adult or child, but it does look like the vendor is raised up inside of the stall.

geoffersh
03-16-2016, 08:15 AM
I am reserving my judgement until the finished game is released. To be honest, I am still not convinced that this game is anywhere near "AAA" standards. There is still too much missing from this game to make it a triple "A" game. No transport rides, no water rides. These at least should be in the game from the start, like they where with RCT3. I am not really impressed with the Peeps in that screenshot, they still look lifeless. Come on Atari, you can surely do better than that. Still unsure whether buy at release, or wait and see what come up on youtube before I spend out on this game.

dwwilkin
03-16-2016, 12:35 PM
Just out of curiosity, what is a AAA game as opposed to a AA or A game, Even a B game or C game? I know what a B Movie is. And I know what a PG film is. What makes the game like the best investment grade Bond that Standard and Poors rates?

TheMagicianThing
03-16-2016, 12:58 PM
Just out of curiosity, what is a AAA game as opposed to a AA or A game, Even a B game or C game? I know what a B Movie is. And I know what a PG film is. What makes the game like the best investment grade Bond that Standard and Poors rates?
if you look at batteries, it would suggest size xD so we wouldn't want AAA games but D games in this comparisson :3 but who ever stated atari was aiming for AAA actually?

Marvin
03-16-2016, 01:17 PM
if you look at batteries, it would suggest size xD so we wouldn't want AAA games but D games in this comparisson :3 but who ever stated atari was aiming for AAA actually?

Mattlab did, multiple times.

Deuce
03-16-2016, 01:27 PM
But in all fairness this is EXACTLY the same 'fix' we used for all three of the previous games until we had the ability to import our own custom stalls in RCT3 years after it was released.

While I would also like there to be a generic version without the giant toppers, I'm not exactly sure what you think needs to be 'fixed'? They are providing pre-mades. Hopefully they'll decide to include a generic one, and supposedly we'll have the ability to make our own shops. Exactly what more is it that you are demanding? While I think that there should be a sufficient number of assets to justify the games price, they ARE giving us the tools to create our own, so I'd imagine they are trying to provide a basic collection to use right out of the box until UGC gets rolling or enough for those who aren't into downloading UGC to build with.

The scaling looks to me to be improved to a certain degree. Can't tell if the peep in question is an adult or child, but it does look like the vendor is raised up inside of the stall.

You're quite right. But this game has used UGC as a trump card from day one, so it is a little unreasonable to not offer functional items like stalls, that are also UGC friendly. I think they recognized UGC could be an important thing, but didn't actually think through exactly how people would want to use it perhaps.

Deuce
03-16-2016, 01:34 PM

It's not precisely defined at all. But 'AAA' is just another word for premium, first rate etc.. It basically means that the game in question will have the latest gen visuals/graphics, loads of content, great animations etc. Exactly the same as a 'blockbuster' film would have stars in the lead roll, you would expect a AAA game to show strong production values in the end product.

I don't think 'AA', 'A' or anything less is commonly used if at all to describe a game. It's either AAA which will make people have high expectations, or it's just 'a game' and people will make their mind up about what to expect when they see it!

I think making the AAA statement about this game was a mistake by Mattlab and Atari. It's just too easy for people to use to ridicule them. Any serious producers would not allow video that even suggested frame rate issues (for whatever reason) anywhere near their 'AAA' games. Nor would the peeps ever be shown in anything but a perfectly animated state at any point during development. And especially, they would not use a mobile games developer like Area52 for a 'AAA' game. It's one thing to hype your own product to improve sales, but when you contradict yourself to that extent the BS can only harm sales.

Mattlab
03-16-2016, 09:09 PM
Day 2 is done at GDC and I just wanted to post another awesome shot from our testers! I asked him to show us some the pieces that he used to make the building. Each one was imported into the game as part of a UGC "collection" thus making each piece selectable in the build tools. Here they are all individually put out.

http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/UGC-Pieces.jpg

Then you can move them around in the game using one of there axes to create entire structures like the one you saw in the shot yesterday (to reiterate - it was not imported as one whole model - instead it was made by piece by piece construction in game) which I am reposting here. This is possible because of our grid free environment and powerful building tools. Yes more work to do but its awesome to see what testers are already able to make!

dwwilkin
03-16-2016, 09:15 PM
Double awesome. I cant wait to get my hands on something like this when the game comes out!

Marvin
03-16-2016, 09:21 PM
Looks nice but it's starting to feel like UGC is the only feature this game has.

We're not paying $50 to do everything from outside sources.

dwwilkin
03-16-2016, 09:25 PM
Maybe Atari/Nvizzio will work on a lot of scenery wall/building sets and include them in the base game at release

doubleshot
03-16-2016, 09:30 PM
Looks nice but it's starting to feel like UGC is the only feature this game has.

Yeah you're probably right because the Coaster Builder (with spline mode and piece by piece mode), the many coasters, coaster cam, flatrides, ride cam, peep simulation, path system with no grid, staff buildings, shops and stall, water, terrain deformation, finance system, annnnd like many other things would not be considered features that RCTW has (which admittedly they have shown everything yes I'll give you that). Yeah UGC with piece by piece there is the only thing. Lol

It's Not like PC launching an Alpha with only a path system and piece by piece for 75 bucks. Which for the record is also doing everything on your own.

Marvin
03-16-2016, 09:41 PM
Yeah you're probably right because the Coaster Builder (with spline mode and piece by piece mode), the many coasters, coaster cam, flatrides, ride cam, peep simulation, path system with no grid, staff buildings, shops and stall, water, terrain deformation, finance system, annnnd like many other things would not be considered features that RCTW has (which admittedly they have shown everything yes I'll give you that). Yeah UGC with piece by piece there is the only thing. Lol

It's Not like PC launching an Alpha with only a path system and piece by piece for 75 bucks. Which for the record is also doing everything on your own.

Calm down fanboy. They haven't said anything about the finance system, barely anything about the peep AI, terrain doesn't go underground, and the staff buildings and stalls all look the same. Lol. All they've talked about is UGC. Pull up the past blogs and there's barely any info in them.

I didn't bring up PC but since you did, there will be more than just the path system and building tools in the game (building tools that RCTW has to rely on UGC for lol). Majority agrees that PC will be better so you should probably just focus on this game, which is what I was trying to do.

darkhorizon
03-16-2016, 09:42 PM
Piece by piece?! Well this is exciting. Those models look very good - hopefully whoever is responsible for them is making more. :)

biotron2000
03-16-2016, 09:48 PM

I'd rather pay 75 bucks (and I did!) for the PC alpha than get RCTW in its current state for free. And there is no indicator that its current state is not what is going to be released.

S1m0nde
03-17-2016, 04:27 AM
@biotron: If you wouldn´t even take RCTW for free then why do you spam this forum? Bored? Whatever...

@mattlab: Wow! It impresses me. Looks powerful to me. Of course all the other things are at least as important as pbp but you shew us that the coaster builder is a well thought tool and so is UGC.
If the other parts will be taken care of the same, we´ll have a great game in the future.

I ask myself what the limits are. As example: Can you build an object like a castle with a big courtyard and place a flatride inside so that peeps can move inside the yard without having to build ways inside (which would look stupid).. I guess sqares are important! Please allow us to build squares/courtyards!

Knobs
03-17-2016, 05:02 AM
I'm very satisfied that we will be getting piece by piece building afterall.
It's the core feature that made play rct 3 till today.
Hopefully we can remove the station roofs, get it back into blocks and rebuild it with ugc.
( Atari, please make sure there will be atari proof custom wall sets avaiable at launch date )
Don't count on the community from start to create content. It's up to you guys, pioneers ! :D

Sheep_Exposer
03-17-2016, 05:12 AM
@biotron: If you wouldn´t even take RCTW for free then why do you spam this forum? Bored? Whatever...

He's part of the dozen or so lingerers that are on auto-hate. No remedy for that other than waiting for them to age. It's going to get to a point where this genre will shrink do to total discouragement.

CoasterDrive
03-17-2016, 05:19 AM
Ok, so the last screenshots by mattlab actually look kinda cool. I just hope that they include some of those sets with the first release of the game. That way they will have to come up with a good UI of sorting, grouping and filtering all the pieces, because the last time we saw the UI it was just a looooong scrollable list...

But that somehow reassures me that RCTW will at least not lose without fight ;)

coaster_tog
03-17-2016, 05:41 AM
loving the positive steps forwards that are being made , Thanks Matt

SparkyUK
03-17-2016, 05:50 AM
He's part of the dozen or so lingerers that are on auto-hate. No remedy for that other than waiting for them to age. It's going to get to a point where this genre will shrink do to total discouragement.

You're so correct. Problem is, they'll take every given breath to berate this game. It's the single reason they're here now. Of course, if you dare say anything then you get called a fan boy and told to be quiet. It's rather pathetic now.

SparkyUK
03-17-2016, 05:54 AM
Maybe Atari/Nvizzio will work on a lot of scenery wall/building sets and include them in the base game at release

i remember when cities skylines came out, it didn't matter how much content came with it, the community made many many more, and I must say, better more accurate models and content to add to the game. I've now got mods modding other mods and models and themes etc. Couldn't play the base game on its own now.

I quite like this system because the passion shown by communities is very strong and as we have seen before, runs for many many years.

geoffersh
03-17-2016, 08:38 AM

Exactly what I was thinking. It just goes to show how short this game is in assets, when Atari can't be bothered to supply this stuff themselves. It says to me.

"We have given you a base game with a few rides and coasters, the rest is up to you how you build your dream park!"

Still not impressed with this approach of producing a game It should have been called "Bodgit & Scarper Tycoon"

biotron2000
03-17-2016, 09:51 AM
I'm here because I want to know what happens with this game. I'm not on "auto-hate." What I hate is what they are doing to the game and to their customers. The lies from Atari really bother me, and the fact that they are not even trying to showcase the game in any kind of good light, like using a mid-range system to take screenshots, speeding up video to cover up the poor frame rate, not actually addressing issues such as improper scaling even though they have had months to do so, et cetera.

Sabretusk
03-17-2016, 10:20 AM
You can make your own objects? That sounds great. Modding, yeah that's my thing. Let's make models!

Tie_Kuhn
03-17-2016, 02:54 PM
Hey everyone! Already preordered RCTW can't wait for it to come out. Haven't played since the original so I have high expectations with the advancements in gaming capabilities. Does anyone know if there will be a way to interact with other parks? I think it'd be really sweet if you could check out other people's parks, maybe even ride their rides :cool:

Casiquire
03-17-2016, 05:56 PM
Hey everyone! Already preordered RCTW can't wait for it to come out. Haven't played since the original so I have high expectations with the advancements in gaming capabilities. Does anyone know if there will be a way to interact with other parks? I think it'd be really sweet if you could check out other people's parks, maybe even ride their rides :cool:

At this point we know that we can share parks and rides as well as custom scenery and the like. And...that's about all we know for sure. Originally there was going to be some pretty crazy interaction and we don't know which if any of those elements are still in the game.

JoëlNL
03-17-2016, 08:00 PM
I am pleasantly surprised with the latest screenshots. I already had this idea in my mind, to use UGC/piece by piece building, to design your own shops and restaurants around the in-game shops, to make something to your own liking.

I like the possibilities we will get with UGC! Great work! :D

geoffersh
03-17-2016, 08:08 PM
i remember when cities skylines came out, it didn't matter how much content came with it, the community made many many more, and I must say, better more accurate models and content to add to the game. I've now got mods modding other mods and models and themes etc. Couldn't play the base game on its own now.

I quite like this system because the passion shown by communities is very strong and as we have seen before, runs for many many years.

I would agree with you if RCTW was a decent fully based game, but it isn't at all. Half of what should be in the game isn't in it. No Transport Rides, No Water Rides, No underground landscaping. Building tunnels with UGC Rockwork, is not proper terraforming, which brings me to the quality of the landscaping tools, that are ten years behind the times. Atari will not touch this game after release, they will just leave it as it will be released. They aren't going to pour any more money into further development. They will just release it and leave all you UGC builders, to make stuff for the game. Who is going to want to build a park with limited rides and coasters, because Atari won't add these once they get the game out and off their hands. With all the negative comments Atari have received throughout the media, about the state of this game, they will be lucky if they break even with sales. Atari will leave it as it is and when PC releases fully at the end of the year. RCTW will become history.

TheMagicianThing
03-17-2016, 08:12 PM
I would agree with you if RCTW was a decent fully based game, but it isn't at all. Half of what should be in the game isn't in it. No Transport Rides, No Water Rides, No underground landscaping (building tunnels with UGC Rockwork, is not proper terraforming, which brings me to the quality of the landscaping tools, that are ten years behind the times. Atari will not touch this game after release, they will just leave it as it will be released. They arnen't going to pour any more money into further development. They will just release it and leave all you UGC builders, to make stuff for the game. Who is going to want to build a park with limited rides and coasters, because Atari won't add these once they get the game out and off their hands. With all the negative comments Atari have received throughout the media, about the state of this game, they will be lucky if they break even with sales. Atari will leave it as it is and when PC releases fully at the end of the year. RCTW will become history.
cities skyline never felt like a full game to me either. specially not with their snow dlc, it doesn't even feature real seasons in the base or what the other dlc add) it thrives and survives pretty much on UGC alone

Casiquire
03-17-2016, 10:56 PM
cities skyline never felt like a full game to me either. specially not with their snow dlc, it doesn't even feature real seasons in the base or what the other dlc add) it thrives and survives pretty much on UGC alone

I'm kind if with you here tbh. I love Skylines but the base game looks so repetitive by the time you get a city of any decent size. Needs DLC for sure.

Marvin
03-18-2016, 12:29 AM
I'm kind if with you here tbh. I love Skylines but the base game looks so repetitive by the time you get a city of any decent size. Needs DLC for sure.

The problem with Cities: Skylines is that the management aspects of the game is SO simple. It's lacking the depth and difficulty from SimCity 4 and even the new SimCity. I do like the fact that you can build huge cities but it's pretty easy to make money and just plop everything down. No disasters (unless these have been added recently), no economic downturns, etc nothing to really make sure you're designing a realistic city.

It's kinda disappointing that the developers have seemed to let the mods take care of issues like traffic, rush hour, building populations, etc. I wish they would work on solid expansion packs instead of hollow DLC like Snowfall. Developers will always be able to fix the issues better than mods.

To somehow relate this back to RCTW, I hope Atari/Nvizzio doesn't follow that strategy with the DLC.

S1m0nde
03-18-2016, 05:24 AM
The problem with Cities: Skylines is that the management aspects of the game is SO simple. It's lacking the depth and difficulty from SimCity 4 and even the new SimCity. I do like the fact that you can build huge cities but it's pretty easy to make money and just plop everything down. No disasters (unless these have been added recently), no economic downturns, etc nothing to really make sure you're designing a realistic city.

It's kinda disappointing that the developers have seemed to let the mods take care of issues like traffic, rush hour, building populations, etc. I wish they would work on solid expansion packs instead of hollow DLC like Snowfall. Developers will always be able to fix the issues better than mods.

To somehow relate this back to RCTW, I hope Atari/Nvizzio doesn't follow that strategy with the DLC.

The management was okay for me! made fun to build up a city that way. There was enought micro management in other areas. And obviously others like the gameply aswell. Yes, modders helped the game a lot but at least I didn´t buy it für 50€ but for less than 20 bugs.

Mattlab
03-18-2016, 01:04 PM
So just to set the record straight and clear up any confusion, as we have said, our committed to plan is to release a robust set of free content/feature updates, patches, and also eventually even expansion packs.

supermc
03-18-2016, 01:35 PM
So just to set the record straight and clear up any confusion, as we have said, our committed to plan is to release a robust set of free content/feature updates, patches, and also eventually even expansion packs.

Is news upon us :cool:

dwwilkin
03-18-2016, 03:56 PM
Matt stop teasing us about updates. Now if you can give us some real dirt, like Update one, planned for within 1 to 3 months after release will have Xs and Ys and a few Zs as well, then Update 2 will actually be our first DLC where ## rides will be added and an addition @@ themes and that should be 2 to 4 months after Update 1. We will follow that with Update 3... That would be really something we could sink our teeth into and create 20 new threads each with 15 pages of our tearing apart every word, comma, and nuance.

ddrplaya4638
03-18-2016, 03:59 PM

Sounds exciting to me!

maxfreak
03-18-2016, 06:09 PM
Matt stop teasing us about updates. Now if you can give us some real dirt, like Update one, planned for within 1 to 3 months after release will have Xs and Ys and a few Zs as well, then Update 2 will actually be our first DLC where ## rides will be added and an addition @@ themes and that should be 2 to 4 months after Update 1. We will follow that with Update 3... That would be really something we could sink our teeth into and create 20 new threads each with 15 pages of our tearing apart every word, comma, and nuance.

Totally agree with what you're saying. Would also really help users put more faith into the game as well. For now thats just words for a lot of people. Do what Planet Coaster does, show renders, show art, show some kind of evidence that will solidify your statement. It will only help the game and your cause. :)

geoffersh
03-18-2016, 06:30 PM
More promises! I will believe it when I see it.

dwwilkin
03-18-2016, 09:47 PM
Are you sure you will believe it even then? There are some who comment so often and so negatively that I feel the only way they will be fair to Atari in the same way they are to frontier is if Atari gives a complete refund, and makes available all content for free for the next ten years to come

Deuce
03-19-2016, 03:23 AM
Are you sure you will believe it even then? There are some who comment so often and so negatively that I feel the only way they will be fair to Atari in the same way they are to frontier is if Atari gives a complete refund, and makes available all content for free for the next ten years to come

Technically, they have charged for undelivered and very poor quality content for the last 8 years. So I get your point, but technically they would only need to refund and provide 8 years of free content to regain a state of neutral morality...

But personally, I'd be entirely happy if this game released in a state that is at least as complete as RCT3 was, with as much passion and thought gone into its gameplay. And of course, the modern graphics etc.

Daniel_SS101
03-20-2016, 05:17 PM
come on, its been 18 days since this blog, please blog 30 and release date please.

jonwil
03-20-2016, 11:01 PM
As someone who was heavily involved in the user generated content scene for Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 (I was the guy that first reverse engineered the game and figured out how to import 3D into the game although I never really figured out animations and a bunch of other stuff) I applaud the developers for allowing custom content in this game.

That said, if the game doesn't allow creation of certain kinds of objects because the data files aren't editable, there is no reason the community cant step in and reverse engineer data files for tracks or cars or rides or whatever... (after all, its happened for RCT1, RCT2, RCT3 and hundreds of other games...)

jonwil
03-21-2016, 02:21 AM
I just read that Rollercoaster Tycoon World is using Unity which may well make it easier to reverse engineer any stuff that we dont specifically get access to officially.

Nemmie
03-21-2016, 04:44 PM
If anyone can, you can.
You gave us all years of enjoyment and endless options in RCT3 so I'm sure you'll be doing the same with the new games that are coming.........No pressure. 😉😀

BeachyBoy
03-22-2016, 06:10 AM
I'm not complaining or anything, but this update was released a little while ago now and I check back multiple times everyday to here news about the release date, and still nothing announced. I'm just really looking forward to be able to play this game.

geoffersh
03-22-2016, 07:18 AM
I think they have all gone into shock, with the release of PC due later today. If you can't beat em, join em!

CycloneGU
03-22-2016, 02:53 PM
I'm a bit late, but I just scanned the post for the word "scenario". It was not found. So ATM, we have news that we will be able to build the sandbox parks of our dreams...but we don't know if we'll be able to give users the ability to complete missions in it. This is still important.

Casiquire
03-22-2016, 04:52 PM
I'm a bit late, but I just scanned the post for the word "scenario". It was not found. So ATM, we have news that we will be able to build the sandbox parks of our dreams...but we don't know if we'll be able to give users the ability to complete missions in it. This is still important.

That certainly exists! I believe they call them "campaigns"

CycloneGU
03-22-2016, 04:54 PM
That certainly exists! I believe they call them "campaigns"

"camp" was not found in the post, either. Have we had news that we will be able to create custom campaigns?

Casiquire
03-22-2016, 04:59 PM
"camp" was not found in the post, either. Have we had news that we will be able to create custom campaigns?

I typed campaign and got seven pages of results.

I'm not sure about custom ones, but I know there are included ones!

Marvin
03-22-2016, 05:03 PM

In a new interview Matt said there would be a Campaign (basically a tutorial), Scenario (like from the old games), and Sandbox mode.

I don't think custom scenarios have been mentioned yet.

CycloneGU
03-22-2016, 05:04 PM
In a new interview Matt said there would be a Campaign (basically a tutorial), Scenario (like from the old games), and Sandbox mode.

I don't think custom scenarios have been mentioned yet.

That's what I mean. He's being very secretive about this.

dwwilkin
03-22-2016, 05:05 PM
I am not sure about custom campaigns, but I hope they know how important a Scenario Editor is as is Sandbox play. Even if we cast our minds back to RCT, we did have to use a cheater (didn't we have another term for it then?) to make changes to a blank scenario? So if we had a community member program that then, maybe if we urge them enough and they are not planning to include this, 1) they will change their mind, 2) provide a cheater or 3) aid someone to make one.

Marvin
03-22-2016, 05:08 PM
That's what I mean. He's being very secretive about this.

I would think that it would've been mentioned by now if it was in the game honestly. It seems like a pretty big feature to ignore.

I don't think it will be, unfortunately :/

jonwil
03-22-2016, 05:15 PM
Other games (ranging from Fallout 4 to Transport Tycoon to Diablo 2 to Command & Conquer) have had community written enhancements that dig into the game coding and modify things (fixing bugs the devs didn't, adding enhancement possibilities for modders and players to use, things like that). If what I know about RCT World being written in Unity and what I know about Unity is true, such enhancement patches (e.g. to add a scenario editor if the devs wont give us one) might be even easier than with other games :)

Once the game finally gets released and I get myself a copy, I will be pulling the thing apart and doing whatever I can (and whatever the time I have at that point allows) to figure out how this game works and how we can make it do things the devs didn't include.

CycloneGU
03-22-2016, 06:34 PM
Other games (ranging from Fallout 4 to Transport Tycoon to Diablo 2 to Command & Conquer) have had community written enhancements that dig into the game coding and modify things (fixing bugs the devs didn't, adding enhancement possibilities for modders and players to use, things like that). If what I know about RCT World being written in Unity and what I know about Unity is true, such enhancement patches (e.g. to add a scenario editor if the devs wont give us one) might be even easier than with other games :)

Once the game finally gets released and I get myself a copy, I will be pulling the thing apart and doing whatever I can (and whatever the time I have at that point allows) to figure out how this game works and how we can make it do things the devs didn't include.
What is the possibility they might have code that blocks improvements to the game? I know RCT2 has a group completely rewriting it in another language (you have to have the original game to use it, too, so it doesn't hurt sales; it actually improves them if anything), and I personally have kept it open in the taskbar with no issues for over three weeks of computer uptime with zero performance issues in windowed mode, so it proves that the community IS capable of making changes to the game to enhance and better it, so I hope the devs don't try to block our creative efforts and keep things exclusive to their coding. I really hope they will do an official scenario editor; it doesn't have to ship with the game, but work on it for something to add during the ship-to-release timeframe and have it available on Day 1. If they add that feature, I will be interested in the game because the unlimited creativity and options will be there, and I would love to see users add content to improve it.

Deuce
03-22-2016, 07:05 PM
What is the possibility they might have code that blocks improvements to the game? I know RCT2 has a group completely rewriting it in another language (you have to have the original game to use it, too, so it doesn't hurt sales; it actually improves them if anything), and I personally have kept it open in the taskbar with no issues for over three weeks of computer uptime with zero performance issues in windowed mode, so it proves that the community IS capable of making changes to the game to enhance and better it, so I hope the devs don't try to block our creative efforts and keep things exclusive to their coding. I really hope they will do an official scenario editor; it doesn't have to ship with the game, but work on it for something to add during the ship-to-release timeframe and have it available on Day 1. If they add that feature, I will be interested in the game because the unlimited creativity and options will be there, and I would love to see users add content to improve it.

I agree with all of this - I hope it's as open as possible, but I'm sure it will be. for one thing, it's built in Unity which means it's at least partially transparent to about a million would be hacks around the world that use unity already. Secondly, look how quickly the beta was broken wide open - I somehow doubt Atari have the budget or even the wisdom to lock anything down very tightly... (good luck on launch date guys, I'm sure pirate bay is already prepped for that)...

By the way, do you know if this game has a scenario editor? :cool:

CycloneGU
03-23-2016, 12:02 AM
I would think that it would've been mentioned by now if it was in the game honestly. It seems like a pretty big feature to ignore.

I don't think it will be, unfortunately :/
I honestly believe that it may just be a thing where they are still worrying about creating the actual game content and not looking at users adding their own ideas yet. That may be why it's hard to say. There's been enough interest posted, and I even created a poll that went in favour of a scenario editor, so I would like to think they will try to get it out to create the UGC. Mattlab may even have this planned after seeing our concerns on the forums. The thing is, will it be possible to include it on the user end without allowing us to break the game or modify the game content scenarios? That might be the kind of obstacle we're dealing with here, and while I can't say what will happen, I dearly hope the scenario editor does make it out. As I said, it doesn't have to be shipped with the game; way back when Zeus and Poseidon came out (not Atari titles, I know), I think the campaign creator for THAT game was a downloadable add-on (it might be an earlier game in the series, possibly the Pharaoh and Cleopatra ones), and that campaign creator allows for eight missions in a way that I suggested allowing custom campaigns in this game, so it would be nice to see something just like that available here. I hope it happens, and I would want to be the first on board testing it so I could later tell you upon release how useful and great the thing is. But time will tell whether we get it at all. I hope we do. :)

jonwil
03-23-2016, 02:34 AM
Unless people are doing things that could hurt the developer/publisher or the users/players (e.g. adding sexual, violent or inappropriate content to the game, pirating things, intentionally distributing malware or other nasties or doing things that negatively affect users parks and save games) I cant see the developer or publisher having a real problem with any kind of mods to the game.

Jamie579
03-23-2016, 01:24 PM
When are we gonna get another blog update? Thanks! I'm very excited!

CycloneGU
03-23-2016, 04:03 PM
Unless people are doing things that could hurt the developer/publisher or the users/players (e.g. adding sexual, violent or inappropriate content to the game, pirating things, intentionally distributing malware or other nasties or doing things that negatively affect users parks and save games) I cant see the developer or publisher having a real problem with any kind of mods to the game.
Indeed, but keep in mind some companies go to great lengths to keep third party additions out. See Nintendo. People come up with creative ways to mod the game, but it's not easy at all to get those mods. The reason is to prevent cheating. That's not so much a problem in this kind of game as there is no real competitive element, but even so, Nintendo would still not want people trying to "make the game better"; they prefer to think it's fine like it already is, and it's a breach of their terms to add to the game in any way. Of course, the chance of them acting on you more than just requesting you to shut down what you're doing (and not doing that will get lawyers on your back) is unlikely, and sites that have hacks continue to exist because the hacks themselves are not owned by Nintendo and the ROMs they are applied to are not on the sites, so it's up to a visitor to figure everything out and thus it's not a huge thing.

I don't see Atari getting on board with this, but it would nonetheless be cool to see a later update featuring something coined by fans so that everyone can get a stable update including that feature and stay within the TOS. Nvizzio might also be curious and do it themselves without prompting from Atari. Though they'd likely be busy with other projects. I guess we will see!

jonwil
03-23-2016, 05:35 PM
Console modding and hacks are difference since (with a few rare exceptions) the only difference between piracy and hacking/mods is that hacking/mods involve an extra "modify the game data" step between the "make/obtain an illegal copy" and "play that illegal copy" steps.

On PC where its possible to use mods without ever pirating the game its different.

CycloneGU
03-23-2016, 07:15 PM
Console modding and hacks are difference since (with a few rare exceptions) the only difference between piracy and hacking/mods is that hacking/mods involve an extra "modify the game data" step between the "make/obtain an illegal copy" and "play that illegal copy" steps.

On PC where its possible to use mods without ever pirating the game its different.
True, but pretty much every game from the first main consoles is online. Anyone can create hacks and mods for them. I don't think Nintendo worries about them because they are older games, and they are not played directly on any system in that form, requiring people to buy hardware that costs more than buying a digital copy of a 25 year old title to do anything with it, and hacks don't hurt sales or anything else because they are done the main period of game sales. The irony is there's a site selling hacks on consoles, which are even listed blatantly as hacks of the original games, and they are not doing anything about it AFAIK; I wonder if they have a deal in place with the site...