PDA

View Full Version : Atari Q&A vs competitors efforts

Deuce
12-11-2015, 09:38 PM
I wasn't completely sold by the Q&A today but it was certainly an improvement and a big step in the right direction. I also think it was at least partly a result of input and healthy demand on this forum. So with that in mind, to fuel future interaction, we can debate the effectiveness of the Q&A vs PC's release on the very same day (one of those amazing coincidences that seems to plague competing products...)

So:

Atari Q&A about an hour long, PC release, 5 minutes. Which of the two do you feel told you as much clear information about the game?

Which of the two do you feel researched and sufficiently answered current trending topics (across any/all related forums) and gave the answers people were requesting in the best and most open way?

Which do you ultimately have most faith in to deliver?

Deuce
12-11-2015, 10:03 PM
Why was this moved to community chat? It's about RCTW promotion. Is considering the effect of another game on RCT promotion not worthy of general chat about this game?

I only ask because certain features generally considered as 'core' will only likely arrive if RCTW is a success and therefore a threat to that success seems as important and as worthy of comparative discussion as all the thread in the general chat section that either specifically praise of knock the efforts of RCTW.

Or is the rule that any thread that mentions PC is automatically bumped into community chat?

Some clarification from whoever silently did this would be appreciated...

Stream
12-11-2015, 10:57 PM
I think that I will delete my profile from here and be done with this all together at this point. Not only does it feel like you're navigating a mine field when it comes to moderators deleting your comments and threads, but as soon as you mention "that other game" - a very relevant and legitimate issue to bring up right now, your stuff is deleted. Today my comment was deleted about how bad of an idea it was for Atari to pay PC Gamer to fake a pro-RCTW article. Instead of someone going "you know, maybe he's right after looking at the comments" or even discussing it, the comment is just deleted.

Threads are locked when the mods feel it gets too real, comments are deleted, threads removed or locked. It's not very welcoming anymore.

JMR
12-12-2015, 05:39 AM
This stream was not organized by Atari, it was an interview organized by myself, so it does not make sense to compare it to a pre-recordeded, pre-rendered dev-diary production by Frontier. For instance, I had no exclusive footage to show, where as Frontier could just play exclusive footage as they talked.

Unlike Frontier's video, this was a live, unscripted, down-to-earth interview. Totally different type of content, seems a little silly to compare.

A video of gameplay footage can contain more 'words' than possible in a fan interview without footage.

Atari's official stream will be a gameplay livestream next Friday at 2pm ET. If you want to compare, I'd compare it with that instead.

That said, I think some people really need to watch the interview back. I see some people saying that nothing new was said. I'll be typing up the full dialogue of the interview and you'll see that he elaborated on so many things.

People who say nothing was said are either trolling or just didn't watch it all. If you haven't watched it all yet, you can watch it back here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnBZyxZh_5g. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Deuce
12-12-2015, 08:00 AM
This stream was not organized by Atari, it was an interview organized by myself, so it does not make sense to compare it to a pre-recordeded, pre-rendered dev-diary production by Frontier. For instance, I had no exclusive footage to show, where as Frontier could just play exclusive footage as they talked.

Unlike Frontier's video, this was a live, unscripted, down-to-earth interview. Totally different type of content, seems a little silly to compare.

A video of gameplay footage can contain more 'words' than possible in a fan interview without footage.

Atari's official stream will be a gameplay livestream next Friday at 2pm ET. If you want to compare, I'd compare it with that instead.

That said, I think some people really need to watch the interview back. I see some people saying that nothing new was said. I'll be typing up the full dialogue of the interview and you'll see that he elaborated on so many things.

People who say nothing was said are either trolling or just didn't watch it all. If you haven't watched it all yet, you can watch it back here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnBZyxZh_5g. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

It would be unfair to compare the production values and how the content was presented.

But I think it is possible to compare the number of facts and details we learned.

The difference I think people are seeing is that Matt holds back on the details (not always but often). Whearas The other vids seem to go into more detail than anyone could reasonably expect.

Anyone who says the interview contained nothing new at all is clearly trolling. But looking at the poll thread and others, it's so obvious that the level of detail shared is just not meeting the majority of expectations at all.

JMR
12-12-2015, 08:19 AM
It would be unfair to compare the production values and how the content was presented.

But I think it is possible to compare the number of facts and details we learned.

The difference I think people are seeing is that Matt holds back on the details (not always but often). Whearas The other vids seem to go into more detail than anyone could reasonably expect.

Anyone who says the interview contained nothing new at all is clearly trolling. But looking at the poll thread and others, it's so obvious that the level of detail shared is just not meeting the majority of expectations at all.

I disagree. The poll thread shows a split response. I typically don't refer to polls on here unless people back up their opinions with reason. (There are people who just have hate for the game who will just vote bad without stating reason to back it up.) The replies to the poll thread show evidence of Matt going into detail about things and addressing the questions.

When people say he was too vague about certain things, I am not entirely sure what they were expecting. It is obvious that certain questions could not be answered with full details. Some people will complain if Matt hides any single detail. Atari is in competition after all and if they gave away all their secrets and surprised it would give the other game an advantage in development surely. It seems many users do not understand the importance of keeping certain things hidden.

He answered what he could to his best ability and I am very happy with his answers. It's a great prep for next Friday's gameplay stream and has answered many doubts.

All in all, we learned more key points in the interview than we did from that video. I'll give a summary of all the things we've learned. The Stig has already pointed several out. We didn't learn much of the details, but when we see the gameplay next Friday it will expand on what we have learned.

My point was that because we did not see gameplay footage in the interview, that is a really unfair comparison. Gameplay footage gives a lot more detail than words can and thus it seems illogical to compare a gameplay video to a speech interview.

This threads seems pointless. We will be seeing gameplay footage next Friday. You named it as 'Atari Q&A' and it seems like you misunderstood who organized the interview. I organized this interview, not as a 'marketing move' like Frontier did, but to reach out to Atari to answer some of our questions and doubts. The more in-depth information will be revealed over time. This was simply Atari giving time to their fans to answer some of the most pressing questions for the mean time whilst we wait for the gameplay stream and next beta preview.