PDA

View Full Version : RCTW - Blog #25 - Alienware and Atari Coaster Contest Winners!

Mattlab
11-20-2015, 05:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2HDHepwZKY

Dear Tycoons,

We would like to end this week by announcing our coaster contest winners!

Thank you to all of you who joined us during today’s stream. It was super fun watching some of the amazing coasters made by fans utilizing the Beta 1 Build of RollerCoaster Tycoon World! It’s incredible to see the creativity of our community come alive.

With the improvements that are coming to our coaster tool (see RCTW Blog 23 (http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/rctw-blog-23-rollercoaster-tycoon-world-releasing-in-early-2016/)), we know we can expect even more incredible things from you fans in the future!

While the competition was fierce, we are excited to announce that through a combination of Fan Votes, Atari’s Votes, and Alienware’s Votes - Rickety Railroad is our Grand Prize winner and the proud owner of a new Alienware Steam Machine! Congrats!

Second Place goes to Sky Shark Coaster and Third Place belongs to Jungle Fury. Congrats as well!

Here’s the complete list of winners:

Rickety Railroad (https://na.alienwarearena.com/videos/view/rickety-railroad-rctw-beta-contest-entry)
Sky Shark Coaster (https://na.alienwarearena.com/videos/view/sky-shark-coaster)
Jungle Fury (https://na.alienwarearena.com/videos/view/rollercoaster-tycoon-world-jungle-fury-trailer-for-alienware)
Vulture (https://na.alienwarearena.com/videos/view/vulture-excitement-rating-uber-high)
The Albino (https://na.alienwarearena.com/videos/view/the-albino)
Fireball Wizard (https://na.alienwarearena.com/videos/view/rctw-fireball-wizard-coaster-contest-entry)
Atlantis (https://na.alienwarearena.com/videos/view/rctw-contest-entry-atlantis-1)
The Featherless (https://na.alienwarearena.com/videos/view/thefeatherless)
The Snake (https://na.alienwarearena.com/videos/view/the-snake-rctw-beta1-contest)
Figuring 8 (https://na.alienwarearena.com/videos/view/figuring-8-rctw-beta-contest)
Claustrophobia and Agoraphobia (https://na.alienwarearena.com/videos/view/claustrophobia-and-agoraphobia-rctw-beta-1-contest-entry)

The top 11 winners will all receive a cool RCTW t-shirt for making it so high up the charts!

Thank you again to all who entered and thank you to Alienware for sponsoring this great contest! We can’t wait to do more of these in the future.

Enjoy the weekend.

Cheers,
Mattlab
Team RCTW
The original post can be found here. (http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/rctw-blog-25-alienware-and-atari-coaster-contest-winners/)

Big_Boy
11-20-2015, 05:56 PM
Well donne guy's realy :).

@ Mattlab, isn't it possible you to show us a screenshot on how the piece by piece building is integrated into the coaster builder ? :o

Mattlab
11-20-2015, 05:57 PM

@ Mattlab, isn't it possible you to show us a screenshot on how the piece by piece building is integrated into the coaster builder ? :o

Hope to share some info on that soon. Just need a little more time in development before we do!

Palaber1984
11-20-2015, 06:00 PM

That's not the thread for asking it. It's about the winners. Btw I can't believe why it's so hard to wait. Don't you believe that they could be real busy at moment?

Kombiice
11-20-2015, 06:01 PM
Hope to share some info on that soon. Just need a little more time in development before we do!

awesome !! you really try not to realease unfinished things !!

Big_Boy
11-20-2015, 06:01 PM

Great :) i will be patient then :D i'm looking forward to that info :). thx for the answer :).

JSkorzec
11-20-2015, 06:18 PM
I'm so glad you guys take some more time to make a better game ^^ I'm so pumped for January :3

jakej15
11-20-2015, 06:20 PM
@Mattlab can we still expect a beta this month?

Joe Android
11-20-2015, 07:25 PM
@Mattlab can we still expect a beta this month?

With the announcement of the delay to Early 2016, they also said that Beta 2 would move to the second weekend of December, so this month we will not have a Beta.

Joe Android
11-20-2015, 07:26 PM

Take your time, Mattlab. I prefer to wait for see something decent, the looping of the Beta 1 was the worst I've seen in my life, believe me.

Helena
11-20-2015, 07:31 PM
I am pleased that you have picked up a momentum in writing new posts even if it is "just" about announcing winners.

I am looking forward to more game specific content next time.

Give some treats to the developers for working hard! I am sending over a virtual chocolate cake. ;)

Hijotee
11-20-2015, 08:19 PM
Yeah, I don't think it's fair for a YouTuber with a bunch of subs to get first place due to it being really easy for them to share their video, especially since their coaster wasn't that good. The contest should be rated based on creativity, not popularity. Also, it was really hard to vote on the Alienware website

Knobs
11-20-2015, 08:48 PM
Congratulations !

shirty
11-21-2015, 01:31 AM
Well done to winners!

Mattlab please can you confirm something for me...
You keep saying you have added the piece by piece for those that want easier options, what about those that want more advanced? Specifically fine tuning of coaster angles (unmentioned in blog updates)

Notice in almost all the competition coasters there's small track wiggles. These wiggles are going to give bad nausea ratings due to rapid G bursts that really shouldn't be there.
All those wiggles are only there because we couldn't tweak a node angle by small amounts, 15 degrees is just far to rough. Especially on more compact coasters, the massive scale of most entrants hides the issue of the wiggles.

Is there going to be finer angle refinements? please confirm

Also you mentioned about future contests... please make these open to all nations.

shirty
11-21-2015, 01:59 AM
Yeah, I don't think it's fair for a YouTuber with a bunch of subs to get first place due to it being really easy for them to share their video, especially since their coaster wasn't that good. The contest should be rated based on creativity, not popularity. Also, it was really hard to vote on the Alienware website

To be fair, the number of votes the ride received on the Alienware site had no relevance to who won in the end, that just refined the list down to top entrants.

Rickety railroad was solid enough to earn its place in top 11 without the obvious vote spam
In fact sky shark ended up winning the live public vote on stream and it was Mattlab and AWlenard (Alienware streamer) whose votes when combined made the winner rickety railroad.

The upvoting had no effect at all.
Seemed fair to me... with the exception of some country's being refused entry?!?

Sagelee
11-21-2015, 03:43 AM
Wow I should have really submitted one of my rides.......:mad:

AtiTech
11-21-2015, 03:44 AM
the contest was fair i watch the stream and it was fun :-) combination of atari , alienware and the viewers votes
i like skyshark more but matlab found the wooden coaster the most realistic one.

keep up the good work i am looking forward to beta ( preview ) 2 to see the improvements just hope we get the full game then and not a retest of coaster builder so they can start to address the issues on time from the rest of the game then we need no further delay haha :-)

Hanazakari86
11-21-2015, 06:21 AM
so,,when are they releasing the game exactly???

Prody67
11-21-2015, 07:06 AM
Well done Toadlet, your Rickety Railroad is cool.

Joe Android
11-21-2015, 07:15 AM

It is still unknown, the date will be announced after the Beta 2.

shirty
11-21-2015, 10:59 AM

All that's been said is early 2016.
That could be 1st of Jan or 31st of April or any day inbetween (quite frankly even some day beyond that scope)
I guess nobody knows until at least after the next "preview" when the amount of changes done & required will be more apparent.

shirty
11-21-2015, 12:04 PM
I guess that's quite true, but how else can it be done?

Cant really expect someone to rummage though all entrants and pick out the best 20, even if they did it would be down to their personal opinion not a group census.
Look at the ride Atlantis in the top 11. It was clearly the 11th coaster, the wild card. It was only allowed in because it was utilising/abusing a feature.
The video wasn't good at all, barely saw the ride in it, cant even vote on the ride tbh as we saw none of it (sure saw the stone temple though). All that said Lenard voted it as one of his favorites just because it reminded him of some dumb idea he had as a child. Certainly cant leave the choosing up to a single person if things like that end up happening. (sorry to the designer of the ride, just feel the ride wasn't the focus, at all)

Its a difficult subject to get a fair for all conclusion

Alpha32
11-21-2015, 08:50 PM
Now announce a contest for UK, Germany and every other country that wasn't apart of the biased contest

Johnvc
11-22-2015, 06:00 AM
I guess that's quite true, but how else can it be done?

Cant really expect someone to rummage though all entrants and pick out the best 20, even if they did it would be down to their personal opinion not a group census.
Look at the ride Atlantis in the top 11. It was clearly the 11th coaster, the wild card. It was only allowed in because it was utilising/abusing a feature.
The video wasn't good at all, barely saw the ride in it, cant even vote on the ride tbh as we saw none of it (sure saw the stone temple though). All that said Lenard voted it as one of his favorites just because it reminded him of some dumb idea he had as a child. Certainly cant leave the choosing up to a single person if things like that end up happening. (sorry to the designer of the ride, just feel the ride wasn't the focus, at all)

Its a difficult subject to get a fair for all conclusion

Well hi there pleasure to meet you, I'm the Atlantis Coaster creator.

Let me show you an exerpt of the rules of the contest which I don't know if you read:

"Judging will take place during the two (2) week period thereafter (the “Voting Period”) in order to select one (1) winner by a panel of judges based on the following criteria: (1) Creativity (33%), (2) Originality and Presentation (33%), and (3) Highest Number of Votes (Points) (34%)."

It was only allowed in because it was utilising/abusing a feature.

Well, In anywhere of the rules there is "the coaster must be ridable and/or realistic" and Mattlab used this as a very heavy judging atribute so my coaster was actually "downvoted" by him and not "allowed in" like you said. I lost the chance of competing in the top 4 because of Mattlab's opinion (no question about his opinion I really had fun making the ride and the video so no worries Mattlab).

The video wasn't good at all

I designed the trailer (yes it is a trailer eske video)​ with the TRAILER in mind, you build suspense, you build drama you construct a story, a narrative not just shows everything. I'm not saying that showing everything is bad I'm just defending the way I perseve the definition of a trailer.

All that said Lenard voted it as one of his favorites just because it reminded him of some dumb idea he had as a child.

Lenard voted for me because he felt what I intended to everyone to feel, the feel that you experience when you build your story and it comes into a climax. He said that in the last 5 seconds he was like "Wow" and that my friend is what I intended to pass along with my video.

With all that I hope you now understand that my intention was not to show just a coaster, my intention was to be Original, Creative and to have a high Presentation (Trailer feel). After all a coaster is more than just metal bent to please our necessity for adrenaline, Coasters are unique they all have their stories so in my view it's a experience not just a ride, not just a coaster but a complete package and I intended to deliver the complete package to you all.

Thanks o/

ddrplaya4638
11-22-2015, 09:26 AM
For production value I liked yours (Alantis) the most, you really did create that trailer feeling as you were saying.

However with everything else I was truly #TeamSkyShark.

shirty
11-22-2015, 10:17 AM
@johnvc
I didn't mean to rub you up the wrong way, its just how I felt about the video.
While I understand that there was no defined requirement for ride-ability I think that asking for a roller coaster not a deathtrap would cover that.
I wouldn't even say it was all that creative/original, within minutes of beta going live several people (myself included) had reported that you could flood rides and even the entire park without consequence to peeps or rides.

I understand the tension building aspect but for me it built up to nothing. Personally I would have rather seen a little more of the ride at the end than see a bug get abused. Just because you were the only one to enter a bug report into the competition doesn't make it creative or original.

Maybe I'm biased away from it as I too knew you could flood a ride without affecting it. Also you posted a teaser trailer (which I replied looked great) but it turned out that 80% of the video was just the same stationary view as the teaser with barely legible audio which also damaged the presentation of the video. Clearly you put in a lot of work that nobody really got to see (or hear) and if I had then maybe I would have been more favorable towards your design.

Personally if I were to enter that design I would have added the water as a ring around the crater not in the trailer itself and then show it flooding down the sides all around the crater that would have been far more dramatic, interesting and impressive

Sorry we have such different views.
At the end of the day as you said you enjoyed making it and that's all that really matters.

I do agree though they didn't really seem to follow the defined scoring system which clearly affected how your entry was designed and portrayed. At least you were in a country that was permitted to enter unlike me and many others.

supermc
11-22-2015, 10:44 AM
Bit silly to have the wooden coaster win. Not that it's a bad ride, but the steel coasters showed off what this coaster editor can do, the whole point of the BETA. Wooden coasters have nothing special going for them in this situation, look at how diverse the steel coasters can be. Surely 'creativity' and 'originality' apply a lot more to the steel coasters. I'm sure there were other similar versions of a wooden coaster.

JMR
11-22-2015, 10:54 AM
Bit silly to have the wooden coaster win. Not that it's a bad ride, but the steel coasters showed off what this coaster editor can do, the whole point of the BETA. Wooden coasters have nothing special going for them in this situation, look at how diverse the steel coasters can be. Surely 'creativity' and 'originality' apply a lot more to the steel coasters. I'm sure there were other similar versions of a wooden coaster.

I agree. I was very surprised when the wooden coaster won, given that it was the most buggy coaster type in the beta. The coaster had no banks on the turns. I could have built it easily within 30 minutes personally and I am sure many others could have too. Very boring and unrealistic due to no banked turns.

Nevertheless, a winner is a winner. The wooden coaster convinced the toadlet's viewers and judges and that's that.

____

I agree that there needs to be a contest for us British and German players. I'm sure we would have dominated this contest.

shirty
11-22-2015, 11:10 AM
I agree that there needs to be a contest for us British and German players. I'm sure we would have dominated this contest.

I think that's why we weren't allowed :p

DonSPa
11-22-2015, 11:26 AM
has anyone looked into the laws about contests in those countries?maybe it has something to do with that.I looked under the UK laws and from what im gathering ,a contest must be considered skill and free in which u have to buy rctw in order to have access to it and so this could be a fine line enough to make atari and nvizzio to exclude the UK and not take a chance in a lawsuit.And also some countries u need permits to run contests etc.Maybe matt can shed some light on if this is the case or not

shirty
11-22-2015, 11:30 AM
Yea there are some odd laws regarding competitions in UK but I don't see that this fell outside the criteria, maybe I'm missing something

DonSPa
11-22-2015, 11:40 AM
Yea there are some odd laws regarding competitions in UK but I don't see that this fell outside the criteria, maybe I'm missing something
yeah interpreting laws isnt always an easy thing,maybe since buying the game would be considered like buying a lottery ticket,in order to win ...are there any UK lawyers in the forum?lolol

JMR
11-22-2015, 02:24 PM
has anyone looked into the laws about contests in those countries?maybe it has something to do with that.I looked under the UK laws and from what im gathering ,a contest must be considered skill and free in which u have to buy rctw in order to have access to it and so this could be a fine line enough to make atari and nvizzio to exclude the UK and not take a chance in a lawsuit.And also some countries u need permits to run contests etc.Maybe matt can shed some light on if this is the case or not

Yes, it obviously has something to do with the legalities.

I'm not talking about a physical prize though. Even if it was just a winner highlight or something. Online game contests don't always have to consist of a physical prize.

It would be great if there was a global contest which was merely just to see who could build the best, then have a set strict, judging panel. (No public votes)

It's fun to compete, regardless of the prize.

DonSPa
11-22-2015, 03:31 PM
It's fun to compete, regardless of the prize.

yeah it was fun,i spent the last day of the beta to build,ended up staying up all night wasn't til like 8am the next morn before I went to bed.The only thing that sucked was I couldn't get it down to 1 min or miss out on the key parts I thought I needed and 25 seconds caused mine to be disqualified and I don't think I did too bad for building coasters for the first time,i didn't even build in rct3 so this was a new experience for me

Helena
11-22-2015, 08:51 PM
Suggestion to the worldwide: no prize but the honor of seeing your coaster as a custom track file in the game to use for everyone?

Then of course the criterias would be rideability instead, if it is good ride, if it is comfortable and not threating life nasty lateral g's, and not wearing down the station brakes, no crazy stop brakes.. varied in left-rights-left... I am sure you get what I mean.

Kranky
11-23-2015, 02:22 PM
So I won a t-shirt with my Vulture coaster. Are we going to be contacted in a couple weeks or something? :)

yourowner
11-23-2015, 05:03 PM
So I won a t-shirt with my Vulture coaster. Are we going to be contacted in a couple weeks or something? :)

i got contacted today it was a dell email so look out for that

shirty
11-23-2015, 10:17 PM
Suggestion to the worldwide: no prize but the honor of seeing your coaster as a custom track file in the game to use for everyone?

I really like that idea, I certainly would try my hardest to make an epic ride if it was going to become an integrated part of the game.
Also, this will add features to the game and take a little bit of the load off the devs.

robinhsluis
11-23-2015, 11:09 PM
i've taken a closer look to this sky shark coaster thing and something that bothers me is the clipping from the cars with the supports. Either the cars are too wide or the supports are wrong.

Deuce
11-24-2015, 04:06 AM
Nice effort on the coasters (from the people that built them), but why do we keep getting 'production' blogs about a coaster building competition?!?!??

It's as if matlab has gotten so used to diluting the actual information about the game in these blogs that he's now forgotten to put any information in at all!

This is supposed to be a production blog, about the production of the game is it not?

Deuce
11-24-2015, 04:17 AM
And now I've watched the video I see Atari have actually included several clips of coasters clipping supports in their official video. Wtf. I mean I know they're working on these things but why would you include several shots of what are essentially bugs in a marketing video??

And as a result the comments on YouTube are negative.

I know Atari are a tiny team and don't have a marketing and PR department like larger producers would, but I'm not in marketing either. But I can still tell that it's just dumb to arrange a competition designed to promote the game, and then release an official video designed to show what's possible that in fact makes it look like the game is flawed.

Really???? It's actually leaving me dazed.

None of the above is criticism at the coasters people built by the way. Given the bugginess and short access time to beta I think they're great.

alborada
11-24-2015, 08:34 AM
Is it just me, or does anybody else find the result of this competition a bit worrying? If the creators are happy to hold up Rickety Railroad as a premium example of coaster creation it says something about how they view rollercoasters.
To me it makes no sense- either they are judging on creativity and originality, of which Rickety Railroad seems to have very little, or they are looking for something realistic- which again makes no sense since it doesn't even have banked curves.
No terrain editing, generic layout- sorry to be rude but I just don't understand why it won.

Kranky
11-24-2015, 12:50 PM
i got contacted today it was a dell email so look out for that

Yep, I got it!

shirty
11-24-2015, 08:47 PM
Sure would be nice to have a little confirmed other than what was roughly outlined in blog 23, to me that blog was very brief and its main point, the piece by piece building I feel could be implemented in a day or two.
I mean I made several pretty convincing tracks featuring a whole range of inversions in just a couple of days and thats without having any practice with the builder and no access to using another program to plot a spline curve more accurately.
I feel recreating a complete RCT3 style box of pre-made parts should be easily completed in under a week by a single artist, if it cant then, well, now I see the problem as I certainly could.
So what is the holdup on information, screenshots or video its been over 3 weeks since beta and just 1 blog stating a few rough goals 2 weeks ago.
Its easy to see why so many people get rubbed the wrong way and lose hope when so many concerns just seemingly get overlooked and go unanswered.

shirty
11-25-2015, 12:28 PM
I still think the best solution for supports would be that we placed them ourselves. IRL coasters dont have evenly distributed supports the entire length, they have them where it makes the most structural difference. The editor could highlight track sections that require more support as being safety hazards and then we add supports to those sections as we see fit. The more supports the track has the higher the safety rating up to a point where going overkill doesn't add extra safety (diminished returns).
Many people seemed to think the white/yellow/red track highlighting was the risk of derailment, pretty sure mattlab said in a stream those colours were indicating factors affecting the safety, more red track meant lower safety rating. If this tied into the supports we placed then that would add another level of detail for us to consider.

When I made The Smiler reconstruction working around the supports in such a tight coaster design was a nightmare and comparing to the IRL, I had more than double the number of supports (maybe even triple) not to mention how different they all looked jutting out in strange places, they look especially janky on the batwing (highlighted red) and cobra (highlighted blue) but tbh they looked odd on most inversions.
Without ability to place or at least move/change supports we wont be able to make decent reconstructions of IRL coasters. In turn that means the coasters we design wont look like they are realistic. Often on inversions the supports are symmetrical around the inversion. With even distribution the odds of this happening just to a perceived symmetry are close to 0%

In short I would like to see;
Premade parts would come with realistically positioned supports already attached for those that just want to click and go
An auto support mode for the longer track sections where evenly distributed supports are more suited
Ability to turn off auto supports and allow player to choose support type and position (great for inversions and tight twists)
Supports adding to safety rating

Achronite
11-26-2015, 05:34 PM
Scroll wheel scrolls through support type. Left click and drag moves it up and down the track. Done.

The editor could highlight track sections that require more support as being safety hazards and then we add supports to those sections as we see fit.

Ability to turn off auto supports and allow player to choose support type and position

Great ideas!

I have some additional suggestions to add to these:

1) Add a 'Number of supports" icon for each track piece which could be - dynamic, zero, or a number of supports (with dynamic being the default based upon the track length being dragged out) - Allow this to be changed on an already placed track.

2) Add an icon for support type and allow a selection on types

3) Add an icon for support position relative to track section - a % maybe?

4) Auto remove, or change support type/position if collison would occur dependent upon coaster car type

5) Add 'glow' around support types to indicate problems dynamically (similar to track issues)

Thoughts?

yourowner
11-30-2015, 10:17 PM
Thx for the T guys!1939:D

JMR
12-01-2015, 06:06 PM
Thx for the T guys!1939:D

Awesome! Thanks for the picture. They should sell those! :eek:

Big_Boy
12-02-2015, 06:55 AM
So cool ! I wish we could order those :o