PDA

View Full Version : Pipeworks pulls out of RCTW development...!?!

Paul_Boland
12-28-2014, 04:30 PM
Hi Folks.

It has just come to my attention that two weeks ago, Pipeworks, who were developing the new RCTW game, seem to have pulled out of the games development. All mention of RCTW on their Facebook page has disappeared and questions from concerned fans about what is going on are unanswered. People are wondering if this is a bad sign for the games development...!! I tried to Google it for info but couldn't find anything. Anyone got any idea about what's going on and if the games development is still going? Any chance we can get some input from the form moderators, admins, or even the development team itself, to let us know what's happening and assure us all is still good with RCTW?

PixelPlayer
12-28-2014, 11:27 PM
It's on the front page that another company with a pretty good list of games under its wing has taken over. Its probably better off now.

Wabigbear
12-29-2014, 08:47 AM
Its probably better off now.

I'm just curious as to what you base that claim on?

PixelPlayer
12-29-2014, 04:18 PM
I'm just curious as to what you base that claim on?

The new developers working on the game have this as their list of games they worked on and developed see bold font:

---

Second, we are thrilled to announce we are partnering with Area 52 Games studio, a AAA production house on the next phase of development for RollerCoaster Tycoon World. Specializing in online PC gaming experiences, the Area 52 Games studio has brought together a team of veterans who have worked on major IPs across simulation and strategy genres, including Tropico, the Sims series, the Railroad Tycoon series, the original Pirates, Age of Empires, Forza and other well-known games. ​ Many thanks to Pipeworks for all their efforts in getting us to this point in the development of the game.

----

Thats a good list of successful franchises. And they already have experience with making Tycoon games which is good too. Pipe works did not have a very good list of games under their belt. So i think RCT:World is better off in Area 52's expertise now.

Wabigbear
12-29-2014, 04:48 PM
Perhaps. But that's not to say that Pipeworks couldn't have made a fantastic game - they certainly seemed to be putting the effort into it and certainly seemed good at connecting with the community and asking their imput. We simply will never know.

On the other hand Area 52 might give us a crappy game. There's no guarantee either way, no matter what other previous experience they have. "Successful" doesn't always translate into "good".

Personally I was impressed with what Pipeworks showed us. I just don't want it to come off that Pipeworks was doing a bad job, as we simply aren't privy to that information.

Mr_Sleepless
12-29-2014, 05:05 PM
Personally I was impressed with what Pipeworks showed us. I just don't want it to come off that Pipeworks was doing a bad job, as we simply aren't privy to that information.

I agree that we shouldn't assume that Pipeworks was doing a bad job. However, I do look forward to Area 52's help on the project as they are a very large company with lots of resources to play with and a relatively impressive track record. Another large company adding to the many great minds behind this game doesn't seem like a bad idea to me.

iChase
12-29-2014, 07:35 PM
I'm sure Pipeworks is a great company, but I have to wonder if they just weren't the right fit for the job. I optimistically think Atari saw the progress on RCTW and didn't believe the product was shaping up the way they saw fit of the series. I'm sure it will lead to a better end product. However it does seem a little suspicious this late in the game. I have to wonder if Area 52 is working on top of Pipeworks' work. I also have to wonder if World is getting built based on the RCT3 engine or being completely rewritten from the ground up. It sort of looks to me like they're using RCT3 as a base, but that's a complete assumption.

PixelPlayer
12-29-2014, 11:21 PM
Perhaps. But that's not to say that Pipeworks couldn't have made a fantastic game - they certainly seemed to be putting the effort into it and certainly seemed good at connecting with the community and asking their imput. We simply will never know.

On the other hand Area 52 might give us a crappy game. There's no guarantee either way, no matter what other previous experience they have. "Successful" doesn't always translate into "good".

Oh i agree - can't fault pipework's communication team with the fans. It's a wall of silence now from both Atari and Area 52 which is so dumb and old fashioned in terms of how to develop games now.

But as far as business goes, you always want those who know how to make a tycoon game over some one who does not. They will know tricks to make them perform better and also have code that they can reuse which makes for faster development time. Some one who can make an MMORPG may not have a clue on how to make a racing game, games devs don't know the tricks for all genres which is why outsourcing often happens to get people who have certain set of skills that you need. I would know as I am an isometric game developer like RCT 1 and 2 and older Age of Empires, but when a lot of isometric games went to 3D engines, my expertise were diminished and the new way of 3D educated programmers kinda took over.

Thankfully the mobile market came around so I still help people who look to learn and develop isometric games. But i have little knowledge of online social interactivity, which i think Area 52 also have some experience in which pipework has no experience of. Networks are the hardest part of all game development.

Paul_Boland
12-30-2014, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the input and feedback. I feel reassured. But it was just like others above said, strange that this close to release the development company was replaced.