PDA

View Full Version : Steam Workshop

Subliminal
12-21-2014, 10:51 AM
Hi all...

I know RCT2 is 12 years old now, but from what I gather there is still a reasonably large proportion of fans who still play the game. I prefer it over RCT3 and spent hundreds (probably thousands) of hours playing the game.

It's great to see the game on Steam - I'm going to buy it before January 2nd as it's on sale (woop!) and then my Steam friends can see how many hours I play the game (good or bad, you decide ;) )

To the point though - it would be great to see Steam Workshop for the game - it could have the potential to drive sales for it too. I've no idea if there are costs involved with Steam to actually give a game workshop capabilities, but an update (even with some new DLC like Microsoft did with Age of Empires II) would be epic.

What's everybody else's thoughts? Perhaps the game has had it's time, or would workshop capabilities give it another spurt of life?

Saqoyalat
12-21-2014, 01:21 PM
I'm not sure if a workshop is really needed, frankly. Custom objects don't really exist, and for the existing ones, its creators aren't exactly active. Plus, it's extremely hard to create custom objects or similar for the game, seeing as it's written in Assembly. I'm not sure what else could be shared through the workshop-- Perhaps parks and maps, but other communities already have way bigger databases of those.

Also, don't expect any new updates, DLC or modifications. Ever. Chris Sawyer stopped working on the game ages ago, and again, it's written in Assembly-- only a madman would try to touch this game's code.

Subliminal
12-21-2014, 01:28 PM
Ah they're pretty good points.
I can remember there was a website which had custom downloads, a couple extra rides etc. but I can't remember what it was called.

I guess it'd just be parks and rides to share on Workshop.

inthemanual
12-21-2014, 07:55 PM
Custom objects don't really exist

What? Are you serious? Here's ELEVEN THOUSAND of them. (http://www.nedesigns.com/rct2-objects/) They're also not actually that hard to make. There's an easy to use object editor utility that someone created a while ago. All you have to do is put in 4 sprites (one for each angle) and some data about the object (cost, clearance, name) and then save it and put it in a park.

only a madman would try to touch this game's code.

People are. https://github.com/IntelOrca/OpenRCT2

Saqoyalat
12-22-2014, 10:40 AM
Oh, you're entirely correct. I was talking more about big modifications, but I did word it a bit weird. Apologies. And yes-- I'm very aware of OpenRCT2, have been following it for a few months. It's probably one of the most promising things to happen to the RCT franchise in a while, but I meant more as in creating mods for the existing code (so writing in Assembly), not converting it to a new language.

Subliminal
12-22-2014, 10:52 AM
Here's ELEVEN THOUSAND of them. (http://www.nedesigns.com/rct2-objects/)

The majority of those don't show what the item is, is there a way to load them differently, or are they broken?

dwwilkin
12-22-2014, 11:37 AM
I think a Steam Workshop for all of the franchise (in 1 you could have a park exchange through Steam) would be great, though should you own your own copy of RCT aren't you forced to repurchase the Steam version to have access to the workshops of any of the games that they support?

Subliminal
12-23-2014, 08:19 AM
Yeah, that's one thing I've always been a little annoyed about - I have two copies of RCT2, the original and then the tripple pack all on one disk I found for a fiver a few years ago. Whilst you can add a non-steam game to steam, it doesn't track hours played, achievements and trading cards if there are any on the steam version etc.

RCT2 Tripple Thrill is currently on sale on steam until 2nd January, it's just under £4 - I'm going to buy it just so its easier to play (no disk required, will always have the download available in my library) and of course, so people can see how long I played the game for :P

As for the workshop, assuming RCTW is released on steam hopefully we'll see workshop for it. I think thinks like the workshop etc. play a large role in games nowadays. It's the same with achievements, regardless of what your opinion may be about achievements (my opinion is too long and would take this topic off-topic, so I might post it somewhere else later to see what others have to say) you can't deny that achievements are quite a large factor in games nowadays.

inthemanual
12-25-2014, 03:10 AM
The majority of those don't show what the item is, is there a way to load them differently, or are they broken?

unfortunately, I believe they require an image to be uploaded, so unless someone wants to rip and upload 11,000 images, I don't know that all of them are going to be up any time soon. Someone might develop a utility for it, but that's still going to take some time.

Subliminal
12-25-2014, 08:39 AM
Ah I see. I would have thought an image would have been used to show what it is your downloading though. With any game I download content for I want a preview of what it is.

inthemanual
12-27-2014, 06:50 AM
An image would be awesome, but we'd have to develop a utility to rip that from the .dat itself and that would take a lot more time and effort than most of us can give at the moment. I'm sorry that it's not ideal. Hopefully it'll get there someday, but it's not there yet.