PDA

View Full Version : RollerCoaster Tycoon World Production Blog #13

Mattlab
07-24-2015, 09:10 PM
Discussion for RCTW Production Blog #13 (http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/rollercoaster-tycoon-world-production-blog-13/)

Dear Fans,

Thank you for all of the incredible and detailed feedback that you’ve provided us via our Forums (https://forum.rollercoastertycoon.com/), Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/rollercoastertycoon), Twitter (https://twitter.com/officialrct), and more following my last blog. We have spent a lot of time analyzing your feedback, finding the top trends and requests, and consequently adjusting our production plans along the way to make sure they’re reflected in the final game. We’d like to take some time today to talk about updates to our community, our roadmap, and some NEW FEATURES!

COMMUNITY UPDATE

We know our forums are integral to the development of our game and our community, and we wanted to make it easier for you to chat, meet friends, communicate with us, and have a great place to talk about the game with other fans. This is why we’ve added a number of features to our forums including:

Groups – form a clan on our forums and create a place where you can chat and collaborate with other likeminded individuals.
Albums – each fan can now save screenshots directly to their own album to share with other forum users.
Similar Threads – a list of similar threads will now show up at the bottom of all threads making it easier to find answers to frequently discussed topics.
Search Improvement – we are improving our search algorithms.
Threaded/Hybrid Thread Displays – we’ve added more ways to view threads and customize the way the forum displays content.
Read Posts Tracked Between Devices – read posts are now tracked among devices so you don’t have to check if something has been read on a different device.

As our forum community grows, we are adding volunteer moderators. Please welcome members of the community that volunteer their time to help keep RCTW discussions clean and on-topic. Also, next time you are in our forums, you may also meet some new RCT community support. These folks are spending time in the RCT forums to help moderate discussions and clean up the world of the forums. If you see them or our volunteers around, don’t hesitate to say hi and thank them for helping to keep the RCT forums safe and clean!

ROADMAP

I would now like to shed a bit of light on what to expect from us over the coming weeks. As we get closer to our release we’ll give more details on when to expect various production and community milestones, but for now, I’d like to give you a sneak peek of what’s coming up:

Upcoming Art Blog – look out next week for a guest blog from one of our fantastic artists at Nvizzio. They’ll be talking about and showing off a specific art asset, and its path from concept to in-game. It’ll give some interesting insight into the studio’s process, and show off the talent of our team.
Gamescom – Atari is attending Gamescom in Cologne, Germany in the beginning of August. We’ll show off RCTW gameplay with press, and will provide new details about the game and its features! Look out for coverage the week after Gamescom.
Steam Page and Website – We’re working on a refresh of our Steam page and website, to be live soon!
PAX Prime – We’ll be at Pax Prime in Seattle at the end of August, where we will share additional exciting news.
Continuing Blog Posts – And of course, throughout all of this I’ll continue my dev blog posts – revealing new features, screenshots, art assets and more!

NEW FEATURES

Lastly, I’d like to give you a sneak peek at one of the new features the team at Nvizzio is implementing for RCTW. Our focus is to deliver a game that has a solid foundation with the ability to grow in response to requests and feedback. That is why today, I am proud to share some of those changes in response to your feedback!

RCTW will offer User-Generated Content at launch, with direct native Steam Workshop support and full integration for custom scenery and more! Based on your feedback, we’ve been creating powerful user-content tools that will give you both in-game and external native ways to share and consume UGC easily. We see UGC as one the core features of the game, and want it to be seamless and fully-integrated, instead of something added on top or externally. Things are extremely promising on this front and you should look forward to a detailed blog on how it will all work down the road. In short, we are giving you some very powerful ways to create, import, and share your content. This is why we decided to prioritize UGC, modding and sharing of assets for launch, and will be pushing the multiplayer corporation system through a game update.

Thank you again for all the feedback and support, and be on the lookout for WAY more from us over the coming weeks! Keep posting and commenting, we’ll continue listening and implementing, and together we will make the best RCT yet!

Cheers,
Mattlab

Aqua-Chan
07-24-2015, 09:16 PM
Well i got my wish of Steam Workshop

Oblitious16
07-24-2015, 09:18 PM
Looks good. Glad that user generated content is going to be native in the game. Good work!

Also happy that we will see more updates shortly. I can't wait to see what that new team has been up to now :D

The Stig
07-24-2015, 09:22 PM
Thanks for all your time and hard work, volunteer mods.
And thanks for adding support for user generated content, developers.

ddrplaya4638
07-24-2015, 09:22 PM
Glad to see steam workshop being used. Was hoping for a release date announcement! Oh well...

k1ng r4t
07-24-2015, 09:38 PM
Wonderful blog post, just what I needed today. Can't wait till we see the game in motion, hopefully sooner than Gamescon at the end of August.

Now if you can do UGC internally and externally...I'm confused about the specifics here. Does that mean there's a separate interface to browse/upload in game? A separate database? Does it link directly to the Steam Workshop and you can view it in game?

Eeee I'm so excited things are moving along, my stomach flutters every time there's a new post, it's like Christmas morning.

Sandsh8rk
07-24-2015, 09:58 PM
RCTW will offer User-Generated Content at launch, with direct native Steam Workshop support and full integration for custom scenery and more!

I am over the moon about this! Thank you so much Mattlab and the crew - this is going to be AMAZING! :D

DonSPa
07-24-2015, 10:22 PM
good glad to hear for sure that there will be CS,just hoping and praying theres no limits on how much we can have like cities skylines.I hate having to decide what to keep and what not to keep and knowing if i am close to the limit on if i should pass on some good cs or take a chance and grab something new that i like and taking a chance on crashing the game

Future RCT
07-24-2015, 10:27 PM
Thank you very much for all of these updates. I can tell you really do care about making this game as good as possible. This game is looking more and more promising with each update. Can't wait to see more!

jchristiansmith
07-24-2015, 10:32 PM
Thank you thank you thank you! Everything sounds great, from the forum update, to the roadmap, to adding UGC/workshop features, it's insainly clear to me the hard work and dedication this team has for the game. Excited for the coming weeks ahead and thanks again for listening to the fans!

garretslarrity
07-24-2015, 11:02 PM
It's amazing how happy this post can make us by saying so little.

RandyChimp
07-24-2015, 11:09 PM
It's a joy to hear that Steam Workshop support will be there from day one. Anything to make downloading and using custom scenery easier.

0BobTheJanitor
07-24-2015, 11:15 PM
Well now for the "Blog Post 14" threads to spring up. :p

keeper262
07-24-2015, 11:40 PM
Sounds great and I am excited that User-Generated Content is being made a priority.

dwwilkin
07-25-2015, 01:04 AM
CS

Enough said.

trolleyguy8
07-25-2015, 01:34 AM
Steam Workshop! Yay

And gameplay demonstrations in August - oh boy!

Mrbodin
07-25-2015, 03:08 AM
Just. Amazon!

mrbrightside
07-25-2015, 03:28 AM
I'm very happy that they present the gameplay at GamesCom. I wanted to be there, but didn't get tickets. I'm soo excited!! :)

ncutt010
07-25-2015, 03:38 AM
All fantastic news!!
If the game ends up loosing the sense of realism (although the last screen shot in blog 12 was the exact level of realism I want) UGC will allow me to import that realistic content

Excited about this gameplay demo in early august.

Love how ur actually listening to us fans. Keep it up!

Knobs
07-25-2015, 04:24 AM
Very good to see that we'll get UGC !
It's indeed one of the core features of the game, AND the reason RCT 3 is still begin played.
It's what makes the game way more customizable. Sandbox mode for the win.
Oh man, all my frustrations are so gone !

Please keep the Workshop free ...
I'd like to pay for expansion packs, like soaked or wild, or something with a HUGE content.
But don't fall into the moneygrab tempation. It will be a very bad choice.

Thanks a million times.
It's fun to see how a game development goes just like a rollercoaster.
Altough the first drop was pretty intense, you've recovered from the G forces and made it to the top of the hill again.

Succes story in the making.
Can't wait for the upcoming gameplay footage.

Indominus
07-25-2015, 04:57 AM
Yes! UGC and Steamworkshop! Fantastic news! Looks like the game really is going in the right direction!

Kombiice
07-25-2015, 04:59 AM
You saod: short post ?? Okaay ^^ firstavall: Steam workshop os a great idea to implement our creations. I hope we will get instead of that many assets themselves from atari. Gamescom: why did i decide to be the next time there, next year !?!? Argh.... Okay, If you'll show off gameplay content, i cn research it on youtube. Hopefully you will announce the release date. Really awesome what you reched wirh nvizzio since last 4 month

Kombiice
07-25-2015, 05:05 AM
Mattlab, will you be at gamescom, too ??

ExtraCheese
07-25-2015, 05:40 AM
This is a great and clear update, thank you Mattlab!
The roadmap is excellent and gives us info about what to expect! Very excited for august :D!
It's also great that custom content will be supported by launch, this gives us great opportunities, but for you guys as developers / publishers as well by hosting contests etc.

Welcome to all the community mods as well! I do wonder who is community mod though, any names? :D

Manucoffee
07-25-2015, 05:40 AM
Sorry but this sounds so fake. What do you want to show us after 3 months? As i said previously its impossible to produce a game from scratch in just a few months. Everything Area 52 has done is a joke and i guess Nvizzio are the right people to make RCTW but not in such a short period of time.

Kombiice
07-25-2015, 05:42 AM
Sorry but this sounds so fake. What do you want to show us after 3 months? As i said previously its impossible to produce a game from scratch in just a few months. Everything Area 52 has done is a joke and i guess Nvizzio are the right people to make RCTW but not in such a short period of time.

Who said,they wouldnt use modified assets from area 52 or the previous team ??

Kombiice
07-25-2015, 05:43 AM
This is a great and clear update, thank you Mattlab!
The roadmap is excellent and gives us info about what to expect! Very excited for august :D!
It's also great that custom content will be supported by launch, this gives us great opportunities, but for you guys as developers / publishers as well by hosting contests etc.

Welcome to all the community mods as well! I do wonder who is community mod though, any names? :D

The names are under the forums ^^

f794251
07-25-2015, 05:55 AM
Steam Workshop ! :)

The thing i am asking for in day 1 . :D

jerseygrrll
07-25-2015, 05:56 AM
Thank you, Mattlab. I agree with the previous posters about Steam Workshop. There are thousands of great mods and UGC there for Cities Skylines, all free. I do concur with the proposition to not charge for this... too Farmville-ish. Atari has a dynamic RCT community, has had it for years. Glad to see the company is finally listening to us.

warly
07-25-2015, 07:21 AM
Thank you Mattlab for this great post.
Although i love the addition of CSO/UGC my favorite part of this post is that the multiplayer part will come with a later update!!
You can spend so much time for the multiplayer part that i'm very happy that you chose to use that time for an excellent single player part. Thank you so much for this decision :cool::D

BeerWhiskers
07-25-2015, 07:30 AM
Excellent blog Mattlab! Thank you for making the effort to maintain a good level of information over hype.

Looking forward to the guest Dev blogs! and looking forward to the reveals from the various conferences.

Huzzah!

DanishDude93
07-25-2015, 08:37 AM
Love to hear there will be support for custom scenery and Steam Workshop :D Hopyfully we can use all that stuff in the co-op/multiplayer part too?

ncutt010
07-25-2015, 09:16 AM
I don't mind pushing back multiplayer at all.

Not a big fan of multiplayer since none of my friends have computers even capable of playing this game

IngloriousNuke
07-25-2015, 10:18 AM
I was actually waiting for multiplayer.
But CS :o that is MUCH better , Finally costume doors , fireworks ( or ride effects) , dark ride elements , full real life objects ( like efteling stuff )
OMG can't wait !!!!

0BobTheJanitor
07-25-2015, 11:00 AM
With mod support maybe the game will be as popular as Cities: Skylines at launch. Now all that's left is for the game to be good... ;)

Martyboy
07-25-2015, 11:22 AM
Can someone tell me what a Steam workshop is?

Bakgrund
07-25-2015, 12:11 PM
Can someone tell me what a Steam workshop is?

It's basically a place where you can share and download small mods, read more about it here: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/workshopsubmitinfo/

intoxination
07-25-2015, 12:19 PM
Best update yet!

- Steam workshop. Win! Easy place to find CS. No googling around, searching forums, hitting dead links, etc.

- Multiplayer released later. Another win. Iron out the bugs for the base game, get some time for CS to get built up, then release a great multiplayer system, where we could easily visit parks other RCT fans have conjured up.

One thing I would like to see before release is some design guidelines for CS. That way people using 3rd party modeling software could start working on some things and get them released to the workshop even sooner after the game is released.

Thanks Mattlab for the great news!

Kombiice
07-25-2015, 12:45 PM
so excited for next week o.O i like concept art ^^

KaelooGang
07-25-2015, 01:54 PM
this is great

JMR
07-25-2015, 02:24 PM
Absolutely fantastic. I was really hoping for Steam Workshop support, thank you for listening to the community.

I am also very pleased to hear about the progression in forum features and community.

Keep up the great work, RCTW team.

Markov
07-25-2015, 03:58 PM
I was hoping for a trailer or another screenshot haha. But a Custom Content generator? This is even more awesome! I had such a hard time installing content for RCT3 (+It would cause my game to crash) So thank you so much Atari and Nvizzio! You guys are the best!

Wayne
07-25-2015, 04:17 PM
Sounds great to me, very excited for all the other blog posts and more! Can't wait!

cacahuete
07-25-2015, 06:18 PM
No release date confirmed in this devblog. I'm afraid, 2016 is soon.

Joe Android
07-25-2015, 06:29 PM
No release date confirmed in this devblog. I'm afraid, 2016 is soon.

They recently said they were willing to release this game in 2015, so I predict it will be between September and October.
In 2016 will launch Planet Coaster, of Frontier.

Anyway, I hope for more excitement the RCTW. :)

james990
07-26-2015, 02:49 AM
Wow, interesting you actually decided to make user generated content a part of the game. I am impressed. I personally wouldn't have been bothered if you just went with your own dlc. I am assuming you will still throw in a bit of your own dlc amongst the user generated content tho.
I am also looking forward to your showcase during August!

davadude
07-26-2015, 05:43 AM
I'm getting very hyped for Gamescom, thanks for turning the project around and making it sounds great!

BoG_Almere
07-26-2015, 06:52 AM
We all know what mod support can do to a game, so that is the best news I heard since the announcement of RCTW! I Have to say that you guys are really on the right track now and that I can't wait to see some gameplay.

Nemmie
07-26-2015, 10:21 AM
This is great news. This finally feels like it's getting off the ground now. Let's just hope they keep this momentum up. There' still time to change the B&M style track spine from round to square too, hint, hint.

TycoonMaster
07-26-2015, 10:32 AM
When I first watched youtube vids of RCT3, I wondered how everyone managed to make such good looking parks compared to mine. Eventually, I find out they were using mods. This is going to be great and they are so easy to install off steam workshop. However, I do worry that the devs will use this as a reason not to add much content to the main game. I don't want to have to completely rely on mods for an enjoyable experience.

Paul_Boland
07-26-2015, 10:47 AM
As someone still playing RCT 3 today, and in the past decade has never, not once installed a mod but just keeps playing with the original game content, I'm not too excited about the RCTW mod support news. Glad others are excited by the news, but I can't see me partaking in it, not unless I can create mods and sell them and make some cash ;).

maxfreak
07-26-2015, 11:06 AM
When I first watched youtube vids of RCT3, I wondered how everyone managed to make such good looking parks compared to mine. Eventually, I find out they were using mods. This is going to be great and they are so easy to install off steam workshop. However, I do worry that the devs will use this as a reason not to add much content to the main game. I don't want to have to completely rely on mods for an enjoyable experience.

QFT. While I appreciate a lot of what the UGC community has provided for us, I am really picky about content that just looks out of place because the animation or art style isn't up to par.

intoxination
07-26-2015, 12:26 PM
IMHO the biggest problem with CS/Mods in RCT3 is that it really wasn't a part of the game. That created a lot of hoops to jump through in order to get it:

- Search around, either through various forums and sites or Google.
- Find something that might be what you're looking for
- Download the CS
- Extract and move into the proper folder
- Restart the game
- Wait for RCT3 to load. Wait and wait and wait. The more CS you had, the longer that wait
- Go into your park and see if what you got is what you wanted

With RCTW supporting mods/CS out of the box and integrating with Steam, almost all those steps are gone. Just go into the workshop from RCTW, search for what you want and click the button. Now that item is available in your game without all the googling, downloading, extracting, moving, restarting, load waits, etc. Basically, if done right, it will get to the point where using custom items is about the same as using in game assets.

BillyBlaze
07-26-2015, 02:50 PM
This! Modding support is great because it will increase the longevity of the game, but I hope the developers don't make the mistake to release an unfinished game and leave it to the community to finish it. Completly relying on modding worked for Cities: Skylines because it's an endless game that's mostly about building something nice and achieving the goals that you set for yourself. It will be kind of the same for the sandbox mode of RCTW. However, I am also expecting a decent campaign mode from a RCT game and it kind of spoils the experience for me if everyone uses custom attractions and scenery objects that were not balanced with the standard assets and the scenario difficulties.

jchristiansmith
07-26-2015, 03:45 PM
This! Modding support is great because it will increase the longevity of the game, but I hope the developers don't make the mistake to release an unfinished game and leave it to the community to finish it. Completly relying on modding worked for Cities: Skylines because it's an endless game that's mostly about building something nice and achieving the goals that you set for yourself. It will be kind of the same for the sandbox mode of RCTW. However, I am also expecting a decent campaign mode from a RCT game and it kind of spoils the experience for me if everyone uses custom attractions and scenery objects that were not balanced with the standard assets and the scenario difficulties.

How does what other people do in the privacy of their homes spoil campaign mode for you?

Also to those worried this will be a cop-out to not put much in the game - every recent blog with the new Dev team strongly suggests this will NOT happen. The ONLY trade-off that was made (that will effect content at launch) was the switch from focusing on multiplayer to UGC. So the actual amount of assets in the game will not change based on this. In fact, the people who are coding the UGC features are a totally different group of people than the assets team. So again.... They don't effect each other.

Finzz
07-26-2015, 04:45 PM
How does what other people do in the privacy of their homes spoil campaign mode for you?

So the actual amount of assets in the game will not change based on this. In fact, the people who are coding the UGC features are a totally different group of people than the assets team. So again.... They don't effect each other.

I think he was getting at the fact that he doesn't want them to half-bake the campaign. The fact of letting you use custom content in the campaign and it affecting the balance of the difficulty that was intended for the campaign (people taking advantage of the game mechanics with the custom content). But you're right, it shouldn't really bother anyone (if you don't like it, don't download it).

Also, how do you know about there being two different teams? Or are you just speculating? I mean from the sounds of all the blogs, Nvizzio doesn't sound like that large of a team (I'm not questioning their abilities though).

disrue
07-26-2015, 07:53 PM
Really excited cant wait till PAX Prime :D

jchristiansmith
07-26-2015, 08:23 PM
I think he was getting at the fact that he doesn't want them to half-bake the campaign. The fact of letting you use custom content in the campaign and it affecting the balance of the difficulty that was intended for the campaign (people taking advantage of the game mechanics with the custom content). But you're right, it shouldn't really bother anyone (if you don't like it, don't download it).

Also, how do you know about there being two different teams? Or are you just speculating? I mean from the sounds of all the blogs, Nvizzio doesn't sound like that large of a team (I'm not questioning their abilities though).

Yeah I'm more speculating with some basic knowledge of how games are produced. Generally there are various sub-teams inside a development team. It's fairly common practice especially with a large AAA game.

Few quotes from Mattlab

Large team:

Additionally, with this talented and large team, we were able to quickly respond to your feedback to make this game better. .

Multiple teams:

let me assure you the group of people working on multiplayer are not affecting the core game so please fell free to ideate!

BillyBlaze
07-27-2015, 04:50 AM
For me half of the fun of a campaign mode is to have the same challenge as all other players. I can't really be proud that I have beaten a scenario if I did it using custom attractions that make money too easily or scenery objects that make all peeps happy without an effort. While I obviously can't forbid other players to "cheat" by using assets that were not intended by the makers of the scenarios, I at least want a checkbox that deactivates all additional assets for a scenario.

As an example, in RCT3 it bothered me very much that in the scenarios of the original games all attractions of the add-ons were always available, when they were originally designed to make you get by with a very limited selection of attractions.

redyar
07-27-2015, 05:52 AM
Nice news! Can we play RCTW on gamescom as a guest or is it just for the press?
I will go there if we are able to try it out!:o

Knobs
07-27-2015, 06:39 AM
IMHO the biggest problem with CS/Mods in RCT3 is that it really wasn't a part of the game. That created a lot of hoops to jump through in order to get it:

- Search around, either through various forums and sites or Google.
- Find something that might be what you're looking for
- Download the CS
- Extract and move into the proper folder
- Restart the game
- Wait for RCT3 to load. Wait and wait and wait. The more CS you had, the longer that wait
- Go into your park and see if what you got is what you wanted

With RCTW supporting mods/CS out of the box and integrating with Steam, almost all those steps are gone. Just go into the workshop from RCTW, search for what you want and click the button. Now that item is available in your game without all the googling, downloading, extracting, moving, restarting, load waits, etc. Basically, if done right, it will get to the point where using custom items is about the same as using in game assets.

Completely right.
And then there were this corrupted scenery files that crashed the whole game and made you loose your hard unsaved work ....

I'm stoked about the UGC situation. But i'm not too sure about the creation of the assets.
I'm a 26 year old guy with a lot of pc experience and i'm able to make 3D models,texture ( maybe even animate them )in external 3D moddeling software.
But not every one knows his way around these software packages, or has no time learning 3D moddeling just for gaming purposes.

So i'm thinking they will probably implement a user generated scenery asset creation editor.
Because of the complexity of settings into a 3D model ( amount of polygons, triangle, quads, texture maps, shader maps, keyframebased animation , rigging )
it will be a pain to make it compatible with the RCT World's Unity 5 engine, thus you need a dedicated system that works on the game engine and needs to be foolproof.

I still hope i can model my own assets in 3ds max or c4d and use them in the game.

Can't freaking wait to play the modern RCT.
I never loved a game so much as this franchise.

SparkyUK
07-27-2015, 07:27 AM
Completely right.
And then there were this corrupted scenery files that crashed the whole game and made you loose your hard unsaved work ....

I'm stoked about the UGC situation. But i'm not too sure about the creation of the assets.
I'm a 26 year old guy with a lot of pc experience and i'm able to make 3D models,texture ( maybe even animate them )in external 3D moddeling software.
But not every one knows his way around these software packages, or has no time learning 3D moddeling just for gaming purposes.

So i'm thinking they will probably implement a user generated scenery asset creation editor.
Because of the complexity of settings into a 3D model ( amount of polygons, triangle, quads, texture maps, shader maps, keyframebased animation , rigging )
it will be a pain to make it compatible with the RCT World's Unity 5 engine, thus you need a dedicated system that works on the game engine and needs to be foolproof.

I still hope i can model my own assets in 3ds max or c4d and use them in the game.

Can't freaking wait to play the modern RCT.
I never loved a game so much as this franchise.

Totally agree - biggest bugbear for me was getting CS into the game. Especially if you try doing this on the Mac version you download from the app store. I had one park corrupted after adding CS into the game - even once I removed it, because I think I must have saved the game and that was it.

Hopefully this will be a simple case of adding UGC and being able to remove it (and not trash the park in the process). Looking forward to it, because other games I have on Steam with UGC work really well.

James
07-27-2015, 07:28 AM
Yay, CS! Looking forward to using Steam Workshop as well, will make it much easier to find and use CS in game as opposed to RCT3.

Rctsteve
07-27-2015, 12:06 PM
Am i the only one that hates steam :O oh well looking forward for more updates.

Caine
07-27-2015, 12:10 PM
Am i the only one that hates steam :O oh well looking forward for more updates.

I think you're not the only one, but just one of the few, who hates steam.

I don't see any disadvantages in steam and I'm really happy about the steam workshop announcement

Indominus
07-27-2015, 12:15 PM
Why would anyone hate steam? I mean its easier and safer, you don't have to worry about losing the disc or scratching it to much AND it has amazing discounts...

intoxination
07-27-2015, 12:20 PM
Why would anyone hate steam? I mean its easier and safer, you don't have to worry about losing the disc or scratching it to much AND it has amazing discounts...

Agree 100%. It took me sometime to get on board with Steam, but it really is a lot better. Updates are much simpler. Just keep Steam running in your tray and you don't get that "oh crap, I got to wait for this update to download" when you want to run the program. The community features are also great and really adds a ton to the experience.

TycoonMaster
07-27-2015, 12:31 PM
Im looking forward to actually playing the game properly instead of screwing around in sandbox. Now that I have more common sense, I can actually try to complete a scenario successfully and not immediately waste money building a crazy roller coaster. I was awful at rct3 scenarios.

I still look forward to sandbox as well.

RCTW1
07-27-2015, 01:39 PM
My worry is that even Steam Workshop can and sometimes mess a game up. I've downladed a few items for Cities Skylines, and my game freezes over. Not because I have a lot of stuff, but due to possible coding or something.

My pc does have 8g of memory, but I plan to bump it up to 16g very soon. Hopefully, that'll fix the problem.

jchristiansmith
07-27-2015, 01:49 PM
My worry is that even Steam Workshop can and sometkmes mess a game up. I've downladed a few items for Cities Skylines, and my game freezes over. Not because I have a lot of stuff, but due to possible coding or something.

My pc does have 8g of memory, but I plan to bump it up to 16g very soon. Hopefully, that's the problem.

That's a risk you take whenever you download CC, it's not because of steam. The benefit of steam is everything has reviews and ratings so it's harder to screw up your game unless you don't read those. Plus it's a one-click quick and easy way to download and install instead of searching for hours on random websites that may or may not be credible.

Also, you don't have to use steam. It's just another tool you can use so why not add it?

Markov
07-27-2015, 02:39 PM
Some of you are really confusing me. In Blog 12, a lot of you were thrilled about the concept of Steam being added. But now you're concerned about it? :confused:
Trust and believe that if Steam were to cause harm to the game, it would not be added. Like jchristiansmith said,

The benefit of steam is everything has reviews and ratings so it's harder to screw up your game unless you don't read those. Plus it's a one-click quick and easy way to download and install instead of searching for hours on random websites that may or may not be credible.

Oblitious16
07-27-2015, 03:29 PM
My worry is that even Steam Workshop can and sometkmes mess a game up. I've downladed a few items for Cities Skylines, and my game freezes over. Not because I have a lot of stuff, but due to possible coding or something.

My pc does have 8g of memory, but I plan to bump it up to 16g very soon. Hopefully, that's the problem.

More memory will make no difference as long as you're not running so many programs with the game that it crashes your PC.

intoxination
07-27-2015, 04:19 PM

That happens anytime UGC is involved. The nice part about Steam is it's right there and you can comment and vote it down. It beats the old way of Googling, going to a forum/site, possibly having to register for an account on that site, then downloading, installing and having the crash.

There's just no way to really test everything submitted. Look at the Apple App store. They have actual employees that review and test every app submission and still some come through that crash iOS (same with Android, though they don't have human review yet). There's just no way to test every single combination of hardware, software, UGC, etc.

Rukiri
07-27-2015, 04:33 PM
More memory will make no difference as long as you're not running so many programs with the game that it crashes your PC.
Well yes and no, I still say today for modern computers the minimum amount of ram should be 16GB as games will eat that up easily "especially if the engine is Unreal or even Unity!"

I use 8GB with 10 chrome tabs open, but I also have 64GB of DDR3 available to me as well. When the original (1999) RCT was released most power users had about 512MB to 1GB of ram, by (2002) RCTII power users had about 2GB when most PCs at that time were shipping with 512MB to 1GB. By Windows Vista (2006) you need roughly 4GB of memory and a decent video card if you wanted to run 64bit windows as Windows locks memory to 4GB under 32bit but it's only Windows, Linux or OS X do not have this limitation.

Most PCs shipping today have about 8GB, and these are the mass PCs everyone buys at the Big Box stores or online, and if this is really using Unity 5s potential than 8GB is simply not enough! I am a hobbyist programmer who develops games using Unity and Unreal Engine 4 and can tell you that 8GB is honestly the bare minimum and 16GB is recommended!

Memory is cheap these days so it's easily affordable to fill up your ram dimms, if you're on X79 you have a maximum of 64GB (128GB ECC or 512GB 32x16GB) and with X99 we have 16GB DDR4 sticks! Of course you can only buy them as 128GB kits sadly.. you can buy 16GB ECC sticks though if you use a Xeon.

My system will have 128GB but only 32GB will be dedicated for the system and 96GB will be used a scratch disk because why not?

But on topic, I'm really looking forward to this game! I still play the old RCT games and even have the original discs!

Navas
07-27-2015, 04:37 PM
The ideas are our, now the creation too? what Atari is doing?

RCTW1
07-28-2015, 01:39 AM
Well yes and no, I still say today for modern computers the minimum amount of ram should be 16GB as games will eat that up easily "especially if the engine is Unreal or even Unity!"

I use 8GB with 10 chrome tabs open, but I also have 64GB of DDR3 available to me as well. When the original (1999) RCT was released most power users had about 512MB to 1GB of ram, by (2002) RCTII power users had about 2GB when most PCs at that time were shipping with 512MB to 1GB. By Windows Vista (2006) you need roughly 4GB of memory and a decent video card if you wanted to run 64bit windows as Windows locks memory to 4GB under 32bit but it's only Windows, Linux or OS X do not have this limitation.

Most PCs shipping today have about 8GB, and these are the mass PCs everyone buys at the Big Box stores or online, and if this is really using Unity 5s potential than 8GB is simply not enough! I am a hobbyist programmer who develops games using Unity and Unreal Engine 4 and can tell you that 8GB is honestly the bare minimum and 16GB is recommended!

Memory is cheap these days so it's easily affordable to fill up your ram dimms, if you're on X79 you have a maximum of 64GB (128GB ECC or 512GB 32x16GB) and with X99 we have 16GB DDR4 sticks! Of course you can only buy them as 128GB kits sadly.. you can buy 16GB ECC sticks though if you use a Xeon.

My system will have 128GB but only 32GB will be dedicated for the system and 96GB will be used a scratch disk because why not?

But on topic, I'm really looking forward to this game! I still play the old RCT games and even have the original discs!

I agree, sure can't hurt to add 8g more. After all most phones and tablets are 16g minimum. A media/going pc should be the same.

OTR24
07-28-2015, 03:23 AM
For me half of the fun of a campaign mode is to have the same challenge as all other players. I can't really be proud that I have beaten a scenario if I did it using custom attractions that make money too easily or scenery objects that make all peeps happy without an effort. While I obviously can't forbid other players to "cheat" by using assets that were not intended by the makers of the scenarios, I at least want a checkbox that deactivates all additional assets for a scenario.

As an example, in RCT3 it bothered me very much that in the scenarios of the original games all attractions of the add-ons were always available, when they were originally designed to make you get by with a very limited selection of attractions.

Now this I agree on 100%

Custom content should be reserved for sandbox and scenarios should be like the original. You start off with limited rides and attractions and build your way up.

ExtraCheese
07-28-2015, 04:15 AM
Now this I agree on 100%

Custom content should be reserved for sandbox and scenarios should be like the original. You start off with limited rides and attractions and build your way up.

Indeed! Though remember RCT2 where you created a scenario sandbox where you couldn't have everything in the game but had to make choices which scenery to include? Maybe the devs can add that option before starting a campaign scenario.

1wolffan
07-28-2015, 10:51 AM
Agreed, I was glad they allowed you to add those in, BUT it would have been nicer to have to research them too.

garretslarrity
07-28-2015, 03:00 PM
I agree, sure can't hurt to add 8g more. After all most phones and tablets are 16g minimum. A media/going pc should be the same.

Now you're talking about storage, not memory. But I do agree that you should upgrade your RAM.

robinhsluis
07-28-2015, 03:47 PM
I'm VERY happy with the UGC. The best thing about custom scenery was that it is placable through other objects. there was simply no limit. The limitation of objects crossing eachother was very frustrating, causing me to only use CS after a while.

So my question remains: Will it be possible to place objects however you like? No 'unable to place' situations because it's overlapping something else. That is what made custom scenery so special to me.

Rukiri
07-28-2015, 04:07 PM
I hope it sticks to the traditional grid, it's what made RCT awesome and easy to manage!

Indominus
07-28-2015, 04:59 PM
I hope it sticks to the traditional grid, it's what made RCT awesome and easy to manage!

I absolutley hope not. The grid system was most of the time annoying.

0BobTheJanitor
07-28-2015, 05:49 PM
I have 16g of ram, but two of my ddr slots are broken. :(

ddrplaya4638
07-28-2015, 07:10 PM
I absolutley hope not. The grid system was most of the time annoying.

I agree, However it would be nice to be able to toggle it on or off to assist with building if you want.

DonSPa
07-28-2015, 09:07 PM
rctw1 there are assets that are broken which causes cities to freeze or crash,thats the chance we will take even for rct world if we download works from other people and they dont do it right.

RCTW1
07-28-2015, 11:51 PM
but it also could be part of the game itself handling several mods at a time.
I'm not against Steam Workshop, and it's definitely easier to use.

Oblitious16
07-29-2015, 12:12 AM

I definitely do not deny that having more memory would be useful for many of these resource intensive games, but 16gb shouldn't be needed unless you are planning on running more than the game itself at a time, in which case upgrading your memory would be nice. Memory is nice to run multiple programs, but in my opinion, more than 8gb is not needed most of the time (although, it is definitely nice to have).

And as well, I was explaining how upgrading his PC to accommodate 16gb would not fix at all the issue he is having with Steam and their USG interface.

Oblitious16
07-29-2015, 12:15 AM

Wow! A phone with 16GB of memory! Ermm.. most phones and tablets average at around 2GB of memory.. I think you indeed confused storage with memory.

Sir Isaac
07-29-2015, 12:18 AM
I agree, However it would be nice to be able to toggle it on or off to assist with building if you want.

I think the grid should be removed altogether. If people want the grid, they can play the previous RCT titles.

Oblitious16
07-29-2015, 12:24 AM
I think the grid should be removed altogether. If people want the grid, they can play the previous RCT titles.

Since we have been informed that coaster building will be based on a node/vector positioning system (as well as curved paths), I think it's safe to say they will try to move away from a strict grid positioning system and focus on something that is more free-flowing and enabling for better control over entity positioning.

RCTFan
07-29-2015, 04:32 AM
great news!

The Stig
07-29-2015, 01:17 PM
I'm guessing that the grid won't be static and will instead conform to paths as a visual reference like in Cities Skylines.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/images/15/apr/skiary1.jpg

Oblitious16
07-29-2015, 02:22 PM
I'm guessing that the grid won't be static and will instead conform to paths as a visual reference like in Cities Skylines.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/images/15/apr/skiary1.jpg

That is indeed what I am hoping to see as well.

k1ng r4t
07-29-2015, 02:40 PM
I agree. I think there will be a grid, but it will be very small and very flexible, not the grid-locked 4x4 squares from previous RCT games.

Finzz
07-29-2015, 05:07 PM

I agree with that statement. It can be very frustrating when you make a mistake when aligning things, and you have to spend a lot of time fixing things so they fit right. It would be nice to have tracks and paths more spline based for when things don't quite line up.

Agreed, I was glad they allowed you to add those in, BUT it would have been nicer to have to research them too.

I think you might be on to something...it would be interesting if they put more strategy into how you research things, rather than simply how much funding you throw at it...add more detail to feel like there is more competition between parks!

ddef12
07-29-2015, 06:15 PM
Perhaps they could implement a "snap" feature so we don't run into those issues where aligning walls and roofs. Similar to what roofs and walls that were original game content did.

jchristiansmith
07-29-2015, 11:15 PM
I believe Mattlab said in a blog that there was a grid, but it was simply there as a guide and you could place things anywhere outside the grid. I would also suggest making it a button you could toggle on or off, and maybe add a snap to grid toggle like ddef12 said?

intoxination
07-30-2015, 08:49 AM
With the colliders system inside of Unity, I would venture to say that a grid would only be used as a visual enhancement tool. Back in RCT3, from a coding standpoint, the grid made a simple system to detect if something can go there or not, or if it's a walkable area, etc. Store the tile types in an array, then do a check against that next move to see if that tile can be moved into, utilized, whatever. With Unity you actually got colliders, which can be an invisible mesh primitive, such as a box or cylinder, or a very low poly version of the object, then inside of Unity it detects if something moving will hit that object.

Knobs
07-30-2015, 10:38 AM
With the colliders system inside of Unity, I would venture to say that a grid would only be used as a visual enhancement tool. Back in RCT3, from a coding standpoint, the grid made a simple system to detect if something can go there or not, or if it's a walkable area, etc. Store the tile types in an array, then do a check against that next move to see if that tile can be moved into, utilized, whatever. With Unity you actually got colliders, which can be an invisible mesh primitive, such as a box or cylinder, or a very low poly version of the object, then inside of Unity it detects if something moving will hit that object.

Yeah, they could even use some dynamics on those collisions.
( But i'm a bit afraid of that destroying the cpu and the gpu with most home pc's. )

I'm with your point of view, because the modern 3D Unity Engine is a whole different approach then the 2D based perspective engine rct used.

The grid will probably be used as guidelines, not actual aligned vectors to place your objects on. ( That would suck donkyballs if it was back on a basic grid )

If the mesh has collisions enabled, you can not interpenetrate objects. They will bounce of eachother. ( Like a balloonstand with balloons waving and colliding and bumping with eachother )

If the mesh has no collisions enabled, it will be able to be placed freely and even penetrate eachother. ( stack little rocks on eachother to make big rocks, but make them penetrate eachother )

I'm hoping for full use of modern day's 3D engine game development software. (animated shaders, volumetric lightning,day/night lighting with shadow maps, lots of polys, dynamic meshes with collisions, zoom functions, ... You know the RPG kinda stuff :)

Not this static RCT3 feeling where you got the bushes and tree sprites textures in your face when going down in a coaster.

RCTW1
07-31-2015, 11:48 AM
Wow! A phone with 16GB of memory! Ermm.. most phones and tablets average at around 2GB of memory.. I think you indeed confused storage with memory.

LOL! I see that I got some of that mixed up,:p

robinhsluis
08-04-2015, 06:46 AM
my computer is gonna lag so hard on this game... I love it!

RandomMrBrick
08-09-2015, 01:19 PM
my computer is gonna lag so hard on this game... I love it!

Yay! Blue screens and frozen laptops, love it!

Philmon11
08-09-2015, 05:17 PM
Im back to checking the site twice each day for a new blog now...

YAY!

Indominus
08-09-2015, 05:31 PM
^ I check it like +10 times a day.

ddrplaya4638
08-09-2015, 06:09 PM
I checked a couple times today then I realized it's Sunday :(

RandomMrBrick
08-11-2015, 05:29 AM
^ i check it like +10 times a day.
welcome to the obsessive checkers club!!

fullscream
08-11-2015, 08:10 AM
Me too i check every day, every time....
I wait definitely a news of Mattlab XD

warly
08-11-2015, 10:26 AM
Me too :cool:
Mattlab already wrote in another thread that he's working on another blog.
I know they were at the gamescom but it's always sad to not see a blog post while they are travelling. (First E3, now gamescom and probably PAX week as well). Hope the next blog post will make up for it :)

Indominus
08-11-2015, 11:07 AM
I wonder if we can expect it today...

Joe Android
08-11-2015, 05:51 PM
The truth:

https://scontent-mad1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/11866412_1623312917907801_3889316893272992762_n.jp g?oh=d252c3faf39281c8ee8a1070dbe15acf&oe=5683220F

Atari is an expert in making us wait at the worst times. If they have the gameplay done, it so difficult to post it? And I say the same for the press, when they will write the articles?...

Indominus
08-11-2015, 06:02 PM
I don't get why we still have no news from gamescom.

Joe Android
08-11-2015, 06:04 PM
I don't get why we still have no news from gamescom.

Most games companies have posted things of Gamescom, even Planet Coaster, however Atari not yet. I don't want to rush them, but isn't difficult to publish, at least, the gameplay.

ddrplaya4638
08-11-2015, 06:27 PM
Guys check this out...
https://forum.rollercoastertycoon.com/showthread.php?4208-Steam-Page-updated-with-new-info!!!!