PDA

View Full Version : The gauntlet has been dropped; how will Atari respond?

AtlantisAuthor
06-20-2015, 11:37 AM
Been awhile since I posted here. I won't lie; the primary reason for that was seeing that very disappointing initial trailer for RollerCoaster Tycoon World. I'm glad that Atari's taking the time to go back and (hopefully) address the issues that so many fans had with it, but the hard truth of the matter is, it's very difficult to shake a bad first impression.

By now I guess that most folks here have seen the trailer for Frontier's Planet Coaster (and if you haven't yet, the link is here):

http://www.planetcoaster.com/

Planet Coaster is being developed by the same team that once made the original RollerCoaster Tycoon games, and while so far we only have a trailer and some still shots of some of the assets, they all appear to be in-engine and look FANTASTIC. You can even spot several immediately recognizable rides from the RCT series as the Park Manager runs toward the entrance during the trailer, which evokes feelings of familiarity and genuine excitement.

All that said, I didn't come here to promote a competitor's game or to trash Atari or RCTW, but rather to get a pulse on what everyone (hopefully including Mattlab and Atari themselves) thinks of Coaster Park Tycoon and how RCTW will stack up against it. Will either game offer something unique that the other does not? Which game's production values will be better, whose assets will be more extensive? Right now we're still talking about two unfinished games, but Frontier clearly got off to a better start here from a PR standpoint. So, can Atari close the gap and offer a finished product that's at least as good?

From a consumer's perspective, competition is a great thing because it helps prevent developers from resting on the brand names or laurels; you have to be at least as good as your competition if not better to succeed commercially. And if both Atari and Frontier feed off of this competition (hopefully in a friendly, mutually respectful manner), the end result will be a win-win for gamers because we'll most likely have not one but two great theme park simulator games to experience and enjoy.

Here's wishing Atari the best of luck and that you'll see the competition as a motivator and a positive thing. I'll be keeping my eye on both Planet Coaster and RCTW during the coming months.

The Stig
06-20-2015, 11:39 AM
Planet Coaster looks awful. Too cartoony and not enough cotton candy.

MrBob101
06-20-2015, 12:51 PM
Planet Coaster looks awful. Too cartoony and not enough cotton candy.
You are right. A park needs cotton candy:cool:

JayB_Yolo
06-20-2015, 12:58 PM
You are right. A park needs cotton candy:cool:

Not more,Unlimited Cotton Candy;)

And you should move this thread to other forums or Matlab will close it down.

AtlantisAuthor
06-20-2015, 01:44 PM
If it gets closed down for being in the General forums, then it'd get closed down anywhere. Not trying to start an argument or make anyone angry; it if happens then so be it.

Space Cops
06-20-2015, 02:03 PM
it looks nice but its obviously prerendered. I would like to see actual ingame footage of that game before making any judgements.
but yes, atari needs to step it up.

RCTW1
06-20-2015, 02:26 PM
While RCTW may have nice control boxes and tracks, we have yet to see any new screen shots. Whereas Planet Coaster is showing stuff. Until RTCW shows things like screen shots, I'm still going to be hesitant.

Deuce
06-20-2015, 07:30 PM
it looks nice but its obviously prerendered. I would like to see actual ingame footage of that game before making any judgements.
but yes, atari needs to step it up.

All game trailers are pre rendered technically. But what matters is are the assets shown from the game itself. In this instance, it has been confirmed they are. Obviously not the cut scenes with the 'pixar' lever of detail grass and dino, but the overhead stuff of the rides etc.

Not that this news should come as a surprise! We should all expect a modern sim game look this good really.

Personally, for me it's always been about the paths and grid for both games. I knew even before I saw anything of RCTW that I could judge the game on whether or not Atari chose to stick with rigid paths and grid (easy), or step up and make something more realistic (expensive). Sadly they went with the easy option. Maybe that has been re-thought since the trailer bombed - but it's still the same ppl in charge, and those ppl went into the project with the wrong mindset.

So when I saw PCSE trailer, you can imagine how relieved I was to see that they so clearly wanted to show modular paths but with special angles, curves, junctions etc. They have basically looked at how hard the mod community tried to improve paths in RCT3 and they took note. That is a very good sign for any game.

I think RCT3 is headed for the same quality game (and reviews) as Atari's most recent Alone in the dark. I don't say that because I think they want to make bad games - but because they effectively made a commitment to a court to monitize those two franchises in order to avoid bankruptcy. With millions of debt and and a demand to get cash from these franchises, you can only expect so much.

But happily for Atari, and their creditors, I still believe any RCT game will sell! Just like RCT4 did, which is crap imo but also a huge financial success.

MrStripy
06-20-2015, 07:32 PM
All game trailers are pre rendered technically. But what matters is are the assets shown from the game itself. In this instance, it has been confirmed they are. Obviously not the cut scenes with the 'pixar' lever of detail grass and dino, but the overhead stuff if the rides etc.

Not that this news should come as a surprise! We should all expect a modern sim game look this good really.

Personally, for me it's always been about the paths and grid for both games. I knew even before I saw anything of RCTW that I could judge the game on whether or not Atari chose to stick with rigid paths and grid (easy), or step up and make something more realistic (expensive). Sadly they went with the easy option. Maybe that has been re-thought so nice the trailer bombed - but it's still the same ppl in charge, and those ppl went into the project with the wrong mindset.

So when I saw PCSE trailer, you can imagine how relieved I was to see that they so clearly wanted to show modular paths but with special angles, curves, junctions etc. They have basically looked at how hard the mod community tried to improve paths in RCT3 and they took note. That is a very good sign for any game.

I think RCT3 is headed for the same quality game (and reviews) as Atari's most recent Alone in the dark. I don't say that because I think they want to make bad games - but because they effectively made a commitment to a court to monitize those two franchises in order to avoid bankruptcy. With millions of debt and and a demand to get cash from these franchises, you can only expect so much.

But happily for Atari, and their creditors, I still believe any RCT game will sell! Just like RCT4 did, which is crap imo but also a huge financial success.
Rct4 was rubbish but I just think maybe now they've got money rct world could actually be good and a park needs IRS cotton candy

Deuce
06-20-2015, 07:39 PM
Rct4 was rubbish but I just think maybe now they've got money rct world could actually be good and a park needs IRS cotton candy

They don't really have money, just a bit less debt!! It's all on their corporate website if anyone wants to view their accounts and the performance of various strategies and franchises. They are trading insolvent so have to make the information publicly available.

They also have to disclose the situation willingly to any potential customers - which is 'us'.

ncutt010
06-20-2015, 09:45 PM
If it makes MATLAB and atari feel any better...chances are I'll get them both

CaseyCBeard
06-20-2015, 11:53 PM
I actually came across Planet Coaster on accident. I love the feel of the game a lot. I don't want something that is too realistic. It's one of the things I have loved about the RCT franchise. The first thing I noticed was the paths in the trailer. Love that it isn't just straight paths anymore. I honestly will be buying both games (RCTW and PC) like ncutt010.

tycoon
06-22-2015, 01:10 PM
that trailer really is pretty solid. it's in line with what i would expect from an initial trailer. it is in line with what atari did with their initial trailer really - they are very similar, in showing a first 'peek' at what is to be expected. but frontier just did it SO... MUCH... BETTER...

and they already have 3D models and such up on their web site, about as many screen shots as we've seen in the last oh 8 months or so?

the competition is clear at this point. it's too bad atari didn't get out of the gate sooner, because now that task has just been made exponentially more difficult.

The Stig
06-22-2015, 01:35 PM
it's too bad atari didn't get out of the gate sooner, because now that task has just been made exponentially more difficult.

I don't think the whole controversy surrounding Pipeworks didn't help either.
Not to mention whatever happened to Area-52...

They've had a really tough time getting this thing off the ground. And both games are still very early into development.

tycoon
06-22-2015, 03:37 PM
I don't think the whole controversy surrounding Pipeworks didn't help either.
Not to mention whatever happened to Area-52...

They've had a really tough time getting this thing off the ground. And both games are still very early into development.

no, it absolutely did not. and i don't understand why area52 was booted either, and find it somewhat suspect that they've announced the game has again changed hands in terms of developer.

i said it in another thread and will again here, i think the biggest mistake was not hiring frontier from day one, and i bet that's a decision that especially with their own release now on the horizon, i bet they (atari) regret today.

RandomMrBrick
06-22-2015, 03:46 PM
You said previous RCT games? Frontier only made RCT3 and the expansions for RCT2 if I am correct?

The Stig
06-22-2015, 05:49 PM
...i think the biggest mistake was not hiring frontier...

Not me! Now I get THREE park sims to look forward to!

Aqua-Chan
06-22-2015, 09:32 PM
Not me! Now I get THREE park sims to look forward to!

HA! Same... No but I think the competition is good for all the games. Maybe they'll try to out do each other in major fields(Detail, Pricing, Updates, Release Dates, etc)

Harbinger73
06-23-2015, 12:16 PM
i said it in another thread and will again here, i think the biggest mistake was not hiring frontier from day one, and i bet that's a decision that especially with their own release now on the horizon, i bet they (atari) regret today.

I wouldn't be surprised if Atari approached Frontier initially but were turned down because they already had three projects on the go (Elite: Dangerous, Screamride & Tales From Deep Space) at the time Atari were in the market for developers. With Frontier's developers already committed to these as yet unreleased projects, taking on a fourth and meeting Atari's planned early 2015 release date would have been impractical and would have likely delayed their other projects by spreading their developers too thinly.

Once Elite: Dangerous was officially released Frontier was officially a publisher/developer so it makes perfect sense for them to start their own coaster franchise so that they get all the profits rather than with a pre-established franchise like RCT where the royalties are split between Atari, the developer & Chris Sawyer.

If there's one thing Cities: Skylines has taught us, new franchises can be extremely successful and even put the original franchise to shame.