PDA

View Full Version : Careful...

Cahalean
06-18-2015, 11:45 PM
When the storm regarding the trailer for RCTW blew over, Atari listened to their community, went back to the drawing board. More or less told us that the game will be delayed but that it is more important to them to listen to the fans and get the game right (which is what everyone here has been asking for). Matt has improved communication a lot and still... As soon as frontier put a trailer out there about their game... You Guys try to "threat" atari that IF they don't share more you are heading over to frontier... What the F are u Guys thinking? F haven't shown one bit more then Atari... Just a Fancy webpage where they ask for money for a game we Know nothing about. So be careful what u ask for, i have higher confident in a company that listen to their community than a company Putting out a Fancy trailer but have no info about the game but asking for money. You really fall for that? Would produce a killer trailer Too if My competator's fans asked for one. I stick With ATARI for now cause i thought IT was a very cheap and ugly move from F. I know more about RCTW and ATARI hasn't asked me for Any money yet. WHO is the cheaper company?

AUS_Twisted
06-18-2015, 11:57 PM
Absolute garbage. Frontier have a proven record for many years, we don't even know who the 3rd developer is for RCT World and you are saying you know more about it then Planet Coaster, haha.

MR.sugar
06-19-2015, 11:35 AM
When the storm regarding the trailer for RCTW blew over, Atari listened to their community, went back to the drawing board. More or less told us that the game will be delayed but that it is more important to them to listen to the fans and get the game right (which is what everyone here has been asking for). Matt has improved communication a lot and still... As soon as frontier put a trailer out there about their game... You Guys try to "threat" atari that IF they don't share more you are heading over to frontier... What the F are u Guys thinking? F haven't shown one bit more then Atari... Just a Fancy webpage where they ask for money for a game we Know nothing about. So be careful what u ask for, i have higher confident in a company that listen to their community than a company Putting out a Fancy trailer but have no info about the game but asking for money. You really fall for that? Would produce a killer trailer Too if My competator's fans asked for one. I stick With ATARI for now cause i thought IT was a very cheap and ugly move from F. I know more about RCTW and ATARI hasn't asked me for Any money yet. WHO is the cheaper company?

We know NOTHING about RCTW. Even some things have been announced, we have no idea whatever they are part of the game now, after they decided to remake it. We haven't even seen much from the current art style, nor gameplay. Frontier already showed us gameplay segments in the trailer and website also contain some in-game stuff (like the background video playing on the website). As for it being only a debut trailer, they have showed more than RCTW did.

Bscly, we know more-less the same about both games, with the differenc RCTW was announced MONTHS ago. All I know abour RCTW is that they want to make AAA game true to RCT franchise and will have MP. Then I´ve seen some model renders and that´s it...

CoasterNazi666
06-19-2015, 11:40 AM
Nothing can be known fully about RCTW as all the screenshots are from different developers! Planet Coaster is showing 3d models, better trailers and the money their asking for actually gives you pretty decent stuff...

DMB1985
06-19-2015, 12:16 PM
It's not far off a year since RCTW was officially unveiled whilst PC was officially unveiled this week. And in that time, we know pretty much the same amount about both games, not to mention the fact that RCTW is on it's THIRD developer (and that is never a good sign). Based on that, it's hardly surprising that people are have more faith in Frontier to deliver a quality game.

MR.sugar
06-19-2015, 12:30 PM
It's also the fact Frontier made previous RCT game. And that's what matters. Not the name, but the "soul" of the game. And I believe that with the experiences Front. team have, they can make much better than unknown studio with no experiences so far (as for now, I assume the team doesn't have much experiences, at least with this genre).

DMB1985
06-19-2015, 12:46 PM
It's also the fact Frontier made previous RCT game. And that's what matters. Not the name, but the "soul" of the game. And I believe that with the experiences Front. team have, they can make much better than unknown studio with no experiences so far (as for now, I assume the team doesn't have much experiences, at least with this genre).

Yep. The perfect example of this is the Championship Manager series. The series was developed by SI Games and published by Eidos. Their partnership ended in 2004 with Eidos keeping the rights to the name and the look but SI Games keeping everything else and renaming the game Football Manager. Eidos hired Beautiful Games Studios to develop Championship Manager and boasted that they had over 125 years of experience of developing sports titles. Whilst that sounds impressive, when you consider that they had over 20 staff working on the title it really isn't that much. Football Manager 2005 released on time and was well received. Championship Manager suffered delay after delay and when it finally was released it was a near unplayable shambles. 11 years later and Football Manager is still going strong whilst Championship Manager exists as no more than a mobile game.

Whilst the case of RCT and Championship Manager aren't identical, there are enough similarities between the two that should make people very cautious over the prospects of RCT.

dwwilkin
06-19-2015, 01:56 PM
Still early days.

I liked the Atari trailer. But have to say the Frontier Trailer with its story and catchy music was more impressive, and should the Peep graphic carry through to the game, Frontier has the nod over Atari for look of a Peep.

We saw only food stalls in the Frontier trailer, and Atari has pushed us to believe we get Restaurants.

Frontier has non 90 degree axis pathing, even curved pathing from the 30 second gameplay footage that is also out there this week, and we have heard that Atari is going to do something with paths, but I don't recall seeing any,

So that is just a quick breakdown. Yet I still would like to play both. I even bought TPS and am so totally angered at myself for doing so. I am sure that both of these games will equal RCT3 and hope that they will definitely exceed that.

IMO, just new expansions and DLC for RCT3, new scenarios, new animals, new rides, would be more than enough to make me happy

0BobTheJanitor
06-19-2015, 03:39 PM
Why must it be one or the other? Can't we enjoy the construction of both projects, instead of arbitrarily picking only ONE and ignoring the other?

With that said, it is unwise to be intentionally neutral. It's better to pick a side than to pick neither side. Pick one you think you will enjoy most, but don't think that can stop you from enjoying the other.

dwwilkin
06-19-2015, 04:27 PM
I bought the SimTheme, or Theme Park as well pack in the days when it competed against RCT, and even the NoLimits coaster type maker, Didn't Disney have one, Hyperlimits or something, but I settled and came back to the RCT franchise because it was a complete game and didnt disappoint.

Now I also went when I had cash and bought a PS3 just to play the Thrillville games and was disappointed there... Frontier isn't always making great gameplay

rct-uwe
06-19-2015, 05:17 PM
At the moment I would expect two nearly similar games... It could become a competition like cod/bf or pes/fifa...
I think I have to buy both.

Cabelle1863
06-19-2015, 09:55 PM
I would gladly buy both if/when they are available. It would be twice the coaster fun for me.

MR.sugar
06-20-2015, 02:04 AM
I bought the SimTheme, or Theme Park as well pack in the days when it competed against RCT, and even the NoLimits coaster type maker, Didn't Disney have one, Hyperlimits or something, but I settled and came back to the RCT franchise because it was a complete game and didnt disappoint.

Now I also went when I had cash and bought a PS3 just to play the Thrillville games and was disappointed there... Frontier isn't always making great gameplay

Thrillvile was doing something different and they didn't mean to bring RCT gameplay, but do something rly crazy instead. It definitely dissapointed wast most of the RCT fans, though it had found it's fanbase.

PixelPlayer
06-20-2015, 02:41 AM

Frontier made RCT 3 - Atari merely published it. So i would trust Frontier by miles. They have Elite: Dangerous a successful online MMO. So Frontier, have the budget and the staff and the ambition and the backlog of games to show their more than capable.. what does Atari have? Atari has to hire out third party studios and has changed them twice because it keeps failing to do any good. Also uses the unity engine which is free and cheap. Frontier are using their MMO engine (cobra) which is extremely well developed and can do far more than unity. Unity simply cannot make a big MMO game with out major work needed for it.

Atari are also the ones who failed to pay the rights holder (Chris Sawyer) of the RCT franchise correctly and got sued, then almost went bankrupt, then tried to sell RCT franchise (at a ridiculous price) to avoid bankruptcy but didn't even manage to sell such a successful franchise. Hence why we never saw RCT come back for over 10 years.

What the F are u Guys thinking?

Clearly you don't know what the F you are talking about, as you know next to nothing about Atari's true contribution to this game (few good things at all! As i have now educated you).

RCT 3 used the cobra engine which is Frontier's engine and is also being used for their new game Planet Coaster and the trailer shows it looks miles better (so far) - subject to potential change if Atari get off their backsides. Frontier are the ones who developed RCT so obviously we should trust them. Sadly Atari has the rights to the name - so Frontier had to name it Planet Coaster - which is a decent name.

We should not trust Atari as much given their failings (and there attempts at this game), have you seen the mobile version or the Nintendo DS version? Literally no one wanted them but Atari thought it was a good idea, it tarnished the franchise.

And if they screw this up - the franchise will be dead, most likely for ever and i suspect Atari will definitely go bankrupt this time around. You obviously saw the RCT:W trailer....it was miles worse than Frontier's trailer and that game isn't out for a year....and at the time RCT:W was months away from launch, clearly Atari needed a huge backlash from fans for them to wake up to reality (and they still may yet not redeem themselves given how little they interact with fans).

Even Planet Coaster's website is more professional looking, its just making Atari look amateur. Which saddens me because they own the rights to my favorite game ever.

Granted they only own the rights to a name, any one could make a much better park game and i'll jump ship straight away even if i am a little sad to no longer say "Roller Coaster Tycoon".

NickNem
06-20-2015, 07:01 AM
I can't agree more with you PixelPlayer. I've just seen the PC trailer right now and I must say it looks fantastic. That's how to make a good trailer. I really think that Atari will loose this fight - if you can even call it that. I have not much trust in Atari, just look at their other new released games (Alone in the Dark and Haunted House), both of them seem to be absolute garbage. I think, the only way to make RCTW - at least - a little bit of a succes, would be, if they release it much earlier than the competition theirs. But I really doubt that by now. We don't know wat atari is doing and even if I admit, that I think it's the right step to communicate much more with the community - I'm not very interested in a controlbooth...but I think, that's all they have by now.

0BobTheJanitor
06-20-2015, 08:49 AM
What urgs me most about this situation is the people who complain about Frontier not showing anything gameplay/content yet, when the announcement trailer has only been out three days, and as an announcement. I mean RCT:W did the exact same thing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkYDqYcyEU0), and they didn't show any gameplay.

JayB_Yolo
06-20-2015, 09:57 AM
What urgs me most about this situation is the people who complain about Frontier not showing anything gameplay/content yet, when the announcement trailer has only been out three days, and as an announcement. I mean RCT:W did the exact same thing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkYDqYcyEU0), and they didn't show any gameplay.

Ya but there is actually a 33 second gameplay footage(seems to be in game but not 100% sure)on the top of their website here http://www.planetcoaster.com/.

0BobTheJanitor
06-20-2015, 10:00 AM
Ya but there is actually a 33 second gameplay footage(seems to be in game but not 100% sure)on the top of their website here http://www.planetcoaster.com/.

Speculated of course. With those paths I wish that was gameplay.
However this doesn't matter; I just think some of us need to be patient is all.

MrBob101
06-20-2015, 12:55 PM
Ok. We know for a fact that RCTW is probably not going to release before planet coaster, but that doesn't mean it will be bad. I am quite annoyed that they keep getting new developers since the game was already supposed to be released. It is like Gta V pc all over again.

PixelPlayer
06-20-2015, 01:11 PM
Speculated of course. With those paths I wish that was gameplay.
However this doesn't matter; I just think some of us need to be patient is all.

If you google for "Zoo Tycoon" which came out recently on xbox - that uses the same cobra engine. So we can be fairly confident it will look at least like that. If its a PC only title, i think it can look even better given xbox hardware is worse than PC.

Equally the website has 3D models you can view and they look really high quality almost the same as the trailer. I suspect the trailer has one or two moments of actual in game footage mixed with CGI stuff.

If that video was all in game, well..... i'll poop my pants in amazement!

0BobTheJanitor
06-20-2015, 01:49 PM
If you google for "Zoo Tycoon" which came out recently on xbox - that uses the same cobra engine. So we can be fairly confident it will look at least like that. If its a PC only title, i think it can look even better given xbox hardware is worse than PC.

Equally the website has 3D models you can view and they look really high quality almost the same as the trailer. I suspect the trailer has one or two moments of actual in game footage mixed with CGI stuff.

If that video was all in game, well..... i'll poop my pants in amazement!

Except with Zoo Tycoon you do not create the paths, you create the exhibits and the paths create themselves. I really don't want Planet Coaster to incorporate this.

RCTW1
06-20-2015, 02:39 PM
Frontier may not be perfect, but right now, I have a better trust in them.

PixelPlayer
06-20-2015, 07:55 PM
Except with Zoo Tycoon you do not create the paths, you create the exhibits and the paths create themselves. I really don't want Planet Coaster to incorporate this.

True but that was not Frontier's doing that was Microsoft wanting it for kids. Features are not really the same thing as graphical fidelity. The fact you couldn't create paths was a feature choice - so as long as we have the custom ability to build as we like, the graphics are the same either way.

Deuce
06-20-2015, 09:39 PM
This is an excellent thread - other than the OP everyone seems to have a pretty fair grasp on reality as regards RCT3.

Looking at the facts, and ignoring all the hype around both games, it's actually very straightforward:

Atari (in their current form) have a track record of reviving formerly good franchises but with very poorly received games. They are cash strapped and have to rely on third party developers. And their commitment to making this a premium game can be reasonably questioned from many angles.

Frontier have the best track record in the genre (by cold, hard sales figures in addition to general satisfaction from the players). They have a huge financial success in the form of ED which they are already porting to consoles and can milk for years. They have over 150 ppl in house and the funds and experience to sub contract whatever they need to deliver a great game. Their trailer has been confirmed to use in game assets as its foundation and it also demonstrated they have a near perfect grasp of what a modern theme park sim should look like, and what it should include.

As others have said,I will buy both games I think. But the realistic chances of RCTW being the better game are so low it's not even worth debate anymore.

k1ng r4t
06-22-2015, 02:27 PM
Well don't forget that when RCTW was first announced we got a lot of information, trailers and some amazing screens that everyone was so excited about...

...and how'd that work out for ya?

Deuce
06-22-2015, 02:30 PM
Well don't forget that when RCTW was first announced we got a lot of information, trailers and some amazing screens that everyone was so excited about...

...and how'd that work out for ya?

It was exciting because those screened looked like a much needed graphical revamp of what was basically still RCT3 at the core. But I was also slightly dissapointed to see such a rigid grid remained.

Side by side there really is no comparison to those screens and the massive leap forward that the PCSE trailer has shown.

JayB_Yolo
06-23-2015, 02:40 AM
One thing that I like about Atari is that they have still not made RCTW for pre-order like they really know the condition the game is in and they want to make sure the game looks appealing before they could start pre-order program.And Frontier has released only one trailer and they are already asking for pre-orders.So what do you guys think which one is more loyal to us?

Deuce
06-23-2015, 03:17 AM
One thing that I like about Atari is that they have still not made RCTW for pre-order like they really know the condition the game is in and they want to make sure the game looks appealing before they could start pre-order program.And Frontier has released only one trailer and they are already asking for pre-orders.So what do you guys think which one is more loyal to us?

1) When you're trading insolvent it's very shakey ground to take payment towards a product you may not be able to deliver (in this case a product they don't have in hand).

2) Frontier have shown a huge amount more of PCSE than Atari have of the current version of RCTW.

3) Ataris last major franchise revival bombed.

JayB_Yolo
06-23-2015, 10:14 AM
1) When you're trading insolvent it's very shakey ground to take payment towards a product you may not be able to deliver (in this case a product they don't have in hand).

2) Frontier have shown a huge amount more of PCSE than Atari have of the current version of RCTW.

3) Ataris last major franchise revival bombed.

Really,Atari trailer was just disastrous.I am still waiting for the actual trailer and it may come with pre-orders too but I am going to hold on for Reviews to come.But really the discussion has slowed down on forums after PCSE trailer.

Deuce
06-23-2015, 10:25 AM
Well the issue of loyalty was raised in a previous post, in regard to it being 'loyal' to charge for early access, pre-orders etc.

The way I see it is there isn't much meaningful loyalty either way. At the end of the day most of us just want a game to follow on from rct3. It really doesn't matter if it's an official RCT game or not. If they both release on the same day, I'll buy the best one. Or if one comes out before the other, I'll buy the first and then only buy the second if it's clearly better. I have no particular preference over who gets my money and I doubt Atari or Frontier care if ppl buy both games either.

All I can say today is that based on so many things, not least good old fashioned common sense about Ataris position at the moment, it seems highly likely that one way or another more ppl will end up buying PCSE.